• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
(A) Salad Bowl of Eccentrics (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2024 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11

Ever since last week's preview I had been wondering why Sara was not happy with Livia's Christmas present and now we know. Yeah, definitely took realism to a new level. I've seen a ton of anime episodes dealing with females making chocolate for Valentine's Day but I've never seen such a detailed examination of the process before. Store bought is definitely the way to go. Homeless Sensei certainly is a fast writer. According to the subtitles he's only been gone a few months but that was long enough to bang out the LN and have it published. Impressive!
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I've never made home-made chocolate, but I imagine it doesn't have to be quite as high end and made from scratch as the chocolate here. I was kind of amused that neither of the flawed pursuers realized that they were teaming up with their own rival.

And yeah, the Livia doll crossed lines that never even occurred to me. Exactly how much hair does Livia have anyway? In any place? I can only assume that either mass production was never the goal, or she has some kind of hair growth magic.

Y'know, we've talked about this before, but here at the near end of the series, it's clearer than ever that if anime were like a box of chocolates, this show would be a sampler's tray. It's not really a slice of life, but it kind of is. It's not really a reverse isekai, but it has that foundation. It's not a detective show, but it dabbles in it. It's not fan service, but Livia has gotten a lot of exposure. It's not an idol show, but it's got this band subplot going on.
It's not a harem comedy, but all of the leads have their fair share of pursuers.

This show isn't classy enough to call it a chimera, and it's not bad enough to call it a fustercluck. A salad bowl works as a metaphor I guess.

Or a lab experiment....
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:27 pm Reply with quote
For me the show's "kinda this, kinda that" dabbling is part of its appeal. It takes familiar elements and dices them up in its own unique way that ultimately makes it its own thing. Each season tends to have a theme for me and this Spring Season the theme was "Off Beat." This, Mysterious Disappearances, Train to the End of the World, Tonari no Yokai-San, Delicious in Dungeon and to a certain extent even Astro Lodge provided a pleasingly offbeat vibe.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 4:01 am Reply with quote
I've got the show mentally listed under "Pleasant diversion" in my filing system. It's nothing I get excited about, but I never feel like its forced or annoying or boring.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 3:52 am Reply with quote
A fitting final episode about a group of eccentrics. All of them were as quirky as always and moments like the real life Pachinko machine and the arrest due to insider trading came out of nowhere. Sara's school having basically been turned into a cult was also quite the surprise. I really enjoyed the show for how random and out there it could be, there was never a dull moment.

On a side note, was I supposed to recognise that girl in the wheelchair during the ending bit?
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:41 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (Finale)

Well, that was fun. Didn't see the Cult Leader getting tagged for insider trading. Poor Lawyer-chan... all that hard work making home-made chocolate for naught. I'm rating this a strong Decent. That means I'm not despondent that it's over but would welcome any further installments. There are 6 LNs so I assume there's still enough material to adapt.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2024 7:32 pm Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
On a side note, was I supposed to recognise that girl in the wheelchair during the ending bit?

From what was said in the chat for the show on Crunchyroll, that character appears in the fifth book of the light novels and is featured on its cover.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2024 9:15 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I was confused by her image too but just assumed my horrible memory was to blame and she'd actually been a key character for an arc.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 5:48 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Yeah, I was confused by her image too but just assumed my horrible memory was to blame and she'd actually been a key character for an arc.

See Beltane, this is where you should have said something like "Oh, don't you remember? The woman in the wheelchair is the one who Livia hit with a car right before her stint in rehab...." Or, "That's the queen of the mutated sea monkey tribe from episode 2."

If you don't draw a firm line with Blood, next thing you know, you'll be following him around with a pocket notebook, a dazed look, and a drastic loss of faith in humanity. Wink

Author of Gas Lightning Reflexes

Edited to add an emoji and a little more snark
Beltane70

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 6:09 pm Reply with quote
After a while, I’d forget why I was following Blood around with a pocket notebook in the first place and wander off for destinations unknown to even myself!
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 9:06 am Reply with quote
That's right, y'all blew a prime opportunity to exploit my horrible memory. HA HA, SUCKERS!!!

Wait... what were we talking about again?
Edjwald

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Wait... what were we talking about again?

Lol
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3