• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba (TV + movies) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 7:56 am Reply with quote
4:

You know what's funny?

If you ever wondered why Muichiro's tsundere Kasugai crow sounds awfully familiar...

...it's because it's voiced by Rie Kugimiya.

Last edited by ACxS on Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:06 am; edited 1 time in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 8:11 am Reply with quote
I picked up on that too. Love Rie! Not sure you could describe her crow as tsundere, though. I think we've only ever seen the tsun side of her.
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:07 am Reply with quote
Oh, I'm very sure the crow's tsundere. We're just not lucky enough to see it alone with Muichiro.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 9:53 am Reply with quote
I agree, though the tsun is particularly strong in that one. I am also getting an increasingly complicated feeling seeing those demon slayers enjoying themselves while training knowing how deadly the fights are for the low rankers.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2024 11:29 pm Reply with quote
5:

We basically skipped Kanroji's training? Oh, c'mon man!

For the first time in Tanjiro's training, we finally saw an actual training section (by Iguro) that really pushed Tanjiro. His previous training sections have all been conducted by "pro-Tanjiro" Hashiras: Tengen, whom Tanjiro fought alongside in the Entertainment Arc; Muichiro and Kanroji, whom Tanjiro also fought alongside in the Swordsmith Village Arc.

Now things are different because the remaining Hashiras have always been "anti-Tanjiro". Iguro's test for precision is the most novel one so far, while previous sections have just been about physical training (Tengen), basic swordsmanship (Muichiro), and flexibility (Kanroji). Although I must say, the test ended sooner than I thought.

Now, I'm not sure what exactly is the purpose of Sanemi's training. Just seems to be "just attack until he yields". Brute force and attacking prowess? Maybe, seems perfect for someone like him.

The mystery behind Genya's power remains a mystery. We saw glimpses of it in the previous arc, but I still don't understand how it works. Demonic powers? Apparently he is not susceptible to the sun, so he's not a demon. Does eating demonic flesh make one get demon powers? Not sure if his powers will be explained in this arc.

Also:

Ngl I was startled by this.

P.S. You can see that Demon Slayer has a star-studded voice actor lineup, with a mix of both the new and veterans. Sanemi's voice actor is Seki Tomokazu, a veteran actor who voice characters that fit a certain archetype: typically masculine male leads. Sanemi's brother Genya is voiced by Okamoto Nobuhiko, and his portfolio is pretty diverse. However, I would say his most iconic characters fit a certain archetype: typically masculine but more of the angsty, hot-blooded type (most obvious example: Bakugo from My Hero Academia, and Accelerator from Railgun). Kanroji is voiced by Kanazawa Hana... a real crowd favorite.[/img]
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:03 am Reply with quote
I am impressed in that Sanemi is so much of an asshole that I honestly hope he is one of the casualties during the upcoming clash. It is refreshing to see a character with pretty much no good points to balance things out a little.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:25 am Reply with quote

This is probably the episode this season with the most comedy points packed in, so viewers who like this for entertainment might as well savour it because it's not going to last.

Kanrouji is nice to everyone, so Tanjirou at most gets his muscles pulled out of joint but gets used to it after a few days because his physical attributes are great and he adapts quickly. Igurou being the Snake Pillar has the most unpredictable attacks which defy physics, hence he's most suited to teaching accuracy with swords strikes. As such, it takes Tanjirou five full days to pass, and in the process he grows a few layers of skin because of the bruises he finishes each day with.

Viewers might forget the Shinazugawa brothers actually featured during the swordsmith arc, namely the older Shinazugawa who ended up killing his turned mother to save his surviving younger brother. Yet his attitude to Genya is very different from back then. Casual viewers will have to watch more to find out why, as their story is not yet finished and there is more to learn about the older Sanemi. As Tanjirou is quick to remind us all, this is the Pillar who impaled Nezuko in season one hoping to get the desired reaction from her. As the Pillar with the greatest hatred for demons, his reaction to Genya claiming he consumed demons for the strength to join the Corps unsurprisingly elicits a very adverse reaction. As for his training regimen, the Wind Pillar is arguably the fastest of his peers so anyone who can get past his defences to properly strike him earns a passing grade. Although Tanjirou was in danger of being disqualifed from the training regime altogether (which would have added an interesting complication to an otherwise formulaic story arc), the fact he managed to get a hit on Sanemi (even if all it did was enrage him even more) was enough to earn a passing grade.

The animators took a lot of trouble illustrating Tanjirou with bruises throughout the episode, which is a slightly different take from his usual bloody appearance when fighting demons. For next week, he's going to be depicted in even more interesting ways of injury, since the Stone Pillar's regimen is all about endurance. If chanting sutras under freezing water isn't enough, then doing the same with a burning bonfire at one's back will surely complete the extreme sauna regimen for next week. That aside, the Stone Pillar is another Pillar who has not been seen at all since season one, so his introduction should be something to look forward to for casual viewers not already turned off by what has been offered to date.

Putting aside how Kanrouji is so nice to everyone she interacts with, Iguro's extreme dislike for Tanjirou comes down to simple jealousy. He's also the only one who has this reaction when he hears the news from Kanrouji, so casual viewers don't have to think too hard why he'd be so sensitive to Tanjirou. The post-credits scene rams this point home for the final time in the episode, as if there weren't enough hints already.

That's it for the comedy (it's turned up unusually high, so much so Zenitsu' reappearance is not as cringeworthy as it would otherwise be), now to see what else has to be covered before the training regime for Tanjirou concludes.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 8:09 pm Reply with quote

Another episode which mostly focuses on the training, with more specifics as to what exactly they're trying to achieve with these frankly superhuman feats of strength and endurance. Any laughs to be had come from Zenitsu's exaggerated reactions, the main plot advances slowly but surely as Muzan and Nakime (New Upper Rank 4) reveal what they've been doing all this time and a little bit of character development (Genya).

Himejima's training regimen appears to be something he does himself on a regular basis, so if anyone else can do what he does that's good enough to pass. Exaggerated as it is, his exercises do put a lot of strain on the core muscle group so if the slayers' bodies don't give out then it'll certainly strengthen them. The waterfall regimen is the only thing most mortals can do because monks in East Asia still do it as part of their exercise routine in places (albeit not always in winter and certainly not with a waterfall with that much flow).

Of the three (Tanjirou, Zenitsu, Inosuke), one would expect Zenitsu to have a head start in this particular training course because he has the strongest leg muscles of the three (his only move and previous advice to Tanjirou come to mind). Too bad his mindset lets him down. Tanjirou isn't physically as strong as Inosuke either, but his unrelentingly positive mindset takes him further than anyone else. Yet even Tanjirou has a flaw: he can work hard but not work smart. It is people like Genya who don't even have the backup of breathing skills who can give the advice needed for Tanjirou to develop further, since he's never really taken the approach of carefully observing others to pick up tips from them. Genya's approach is also a significant change from previous seasons when he was outright hostile to Tanjirou; fighting (and surviving) together against Upper Ranks and having your life saved from the murderous biological brother does that to people.

Viewers finally know what Muzan is up to. He promoted Nakime (who finally has a name instead of being referred to as the Biwa Demon) to No. 4 and uses her as his point demon for reconnaissance. Unlike the other egoistical Upper Ranks, she's completely loyal and is very work focused so a big coup for Muzan. It comes at the price of her not being deployed for active duty; she's maintaining the great castle the demons now reside in and can't leave (I've never seen her in the "real world", she's only depicted inside the castle in previous seasons). He's also looking for the Corps master, and if he's found it's game over since the Master is bedridden and cannot defend himself against Muzan (he couldn't anyway if he was able to walk, but Muzan can literally do anything he likes provided he has a location). Tanjirou's training regimen is almost at an end, so the next episode (which incidentally is the last of the season) will formally introduce Himejima. Besides being prone to tears and the strongest of the Pillars, viewers know little about him. Good chance to change that next week.
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 3:28 am Reply with quote
6:

You know, it's hard for me to separate Genya from Bakugo of My Hero Academia because of the same voice actor. Imagine how strange it feels to me at seeing Genya speaking with a cool-headed tone. Like, why can't Bakugo just talk normally and not yell all the time?

I actually want to relate a bit with Tanjiro trying to push that boulder. Let me cook for a while:

I'm a bit of a gym rat who does powerlifting recreationally. If there is a weight that I want to conquer—be it deadlift, squat, or bench press—I need to be 1) strong enough, 2) in the right place mentally. This was what Tanjiro was trying to understand, and apparently it's called "repetition motion". Very strange name IMHO especially after learning what it is; maybe it's because Tanjiro has to mentally visualize repeatedly for it to work. To me,
"mental visualization" seems more sensible in this case.

I know this show is not about being realistic, but there is some truth behind this "repetition motion" idea. If you want to conquer something, you have to mentally be in the right place (that "right place" depends on the person). For a lot of people, it's aggression. You see memes about how some people go "unga bunga" or turn caveman if they want to hit a one-rep max at the gym, and the idea behind it makes sense. For Tanjiro, expectedly it comes from a more empathetic background. That's about it.

It's hinted that Muzan and Ubuyashiki know each other, but to what extent? Do they have a history with each other? What the hell is that condition Ubuyashiki is inflicted with? Nobody has mentioned it before, yet it's clearly the one thing that stands out from this show. Did he get it from Muzan (without him even knowing) or something else?

I know these are exactly the questions this show is making the audience wonder. Since we have only two episodes left this season, and the next one is going to be just for Himejima's background story, I wonder if the final episode will be about this plot between Muzan and Ubuyashiki.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:40 pm Reply with quote
This episode also made me think of powerlifting, in my case it is knowing some older former powerlifters though. Both of them pushed their body beyond the max in their youth and they are very much paying the price for it in their older years now. Seeing all the insane training that they are put through this season it might be preferable to be put out of your misery by a demon instead of your body giving out on you in later years.

Otherwise it is refeshing to see Nakime as a demon who is not unhinged and actually disciplined. Good old Zenitsu was screaming like a banshee but what else is new.
ACxS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2024 9:43 am Reply with quote
smurky turkey wrote:
This episode also made me think of powerlifting, in my case it is knowing some older former powerlifters though. Both of them pushed their body beyond the max in their youth and they are very much paying the price for it in their older years now. Seeing all the insane training that they are put through this season it might be preferable to be put out of your misery by a demon instead of your body giving out on you in later years.

One can train hard and push yourself without having to "pay the price" later on. There are veteran strength athletes out there who have grown strong even in their old age, and it's because they trained hard and smart. People can train for progressive strength and longevity at the same time; they're not mutually exclusive.

Some people enjoy training so much it hurts. To a small extent, that includes me. It's clichéd, but feeling some pain is invigorating. They're not wrong when they say it can be therapeutic.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 2:03 pm Reply with quote
I am a bit jealous, I go the gym and am proud of my results but it has never gone beyond a fun/healthy activity for me. The pure passion that some have to keep pushing themselves is not something that I know.

As for episode 7, it seems like the happy training times are over. The big bad has entered the sceen by the way of a very long yet strangely not at all walking sequence of pure badassery. Meanwhile eternally screaming Zenitusu is in serious mode.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 6:03 pm Reply with quote

It isn't the first time characters with tragic backgrounds have featured in this series, but Himejima Gyoumei definitely has had more than seems fair. His title as "Strongest Pillar" isn't just a nod to his physical prowess, his mental strength is just as solid as his breathing style. His viewpoint on children seems harsh, but given what he went through it's a wonder he doesn't think worse of them in general than he already does. Good thing for Tanjirou is he's not just passed this round of (excruciating) training, he has earned another backer amongst the Pillars. Only two remain who really detest him, and he can't really do much about them because the incompatibility is insurmountable.

Zenitsu has been designated the (annoying and cringe worthy) comic relief for so long it's a surprise to see him being motivated for anything other than Nezuko. Viewers are not shown the contents of the letter, but it's serious enough for him to close himself off from his compatriots. Not sure there's enough time to explore what his issue is before the adaptation closes.

One criticism of this adaptation is how much anime-only material it includes to 'pad' what is essentially a very short arc with a limited run time. However, the material which was added with regards to Nakime actually filled a very obvious hole in the source material; namely how Kibutsuji Muzan figured out where the Ubuyashiki mansion was. Likewise his grand entrance is also padding, but there's no arguing against how much effort was made into making it as dramatic as possible. Hate watchers are going to sneer at that scene as is their wont, but it sets up the final episode nicely as the training arc for Tanjirou finishes just in time to deal with the worst possible scenario for the Corps, a full on demon invasion against their headquarters.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 5:49 am Reply with quote
On a sidenote, did anyone else expect Muzan to break out in a dance and start singing Thriller during his long walk when it got misty?
ACxS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2024 8:26 am Reply with quote
7:

You're joking. This episode was extended by 5 minutes just for MJ's moonwalk.

You know what Himejima's story vaguely reminded me of? Anji from Rurouni Kenshin. The setup is very similar, and a tragic event became the turning point in both their lives. And to be fair, I didn't know he was blind either. I just thought it was the show's quirky stylization of his character design.

The final episode is also going to be a double episode, and we can see why. Tanjiro has something to offer Genya regarding his brother, and he also has another training with Giyu, Zenitsu went off-character because of some letter (or he's just being dramatic, who knows), the Hashiras are uniting after learning they're being infiltrated, and of course, we have Muzan finding Ubuyashiki (and don't forget, there's that bit about Tamayo being invited to help Ubuyashiki, too). That's a lot of stuff to wrap up and set the stage for the next climactic Infinity Castle Arc.

"Finding", though... is that really the case? Muzan's agenda was primarily to find Nezuko, so why is he coming to Ubuyashiki instead? Did Muzan find him, or did he go to meet him? It feels as though they know and have met each other before. We will find out about the story between them, and learn more about Ubuyashiki's condition in the next/final episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 13