• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - Sony And Marvelous Woke Up And Chose The Same Day To Showcase, And I'm Paying F

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Cute cows.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Depending on how old you are, you either played Comic Party, Tears to Tiara, or White Album (which recently released on Steam), or you remember their many anime adaptations. But

Unfortunately we never got the first part of the console/all ages version of Tears to Tiara which was a completely reworked version of the original +18 version. Kind of like how the original +18 version of Utawarerumono was remade for consoles. At least the originals got fan-translations, but seeing how much they were reworked it's a shame we didn't get for Tears to Tiara what we got for Utawarerumono...
malvarez1

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I know you didn’t have time for everything, but I’m shocked you didn’t mention the Naruto arcade game that’s being brought to America (unless I missed it?)
b-dragon

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Utawarerumono is a favorite of mine. Mask of Truth in particular is perhaps my favorite VN that I can't really recommend- primarily because the prequel is mandatory. Said prequel- Mask of Deception- does a good job setting the stage, building characters and the world, and otherwise preparing...only to burn the stage down in the closing hours, nowhere near putting the flames out by the time credits roll. That leaves the sequel in a great place for rich narratives to start immediately, but it makes the first feel like required reading in comparison. Regardless, I look forward to seeing what Aquaplus has in store.

Perhaps its ironic that I note those issues, and still say I'm all in for the new Trails game, given that their first installment of each arc can have a very similar problem. And yet, here I am, ready and willing. I do appreciate that there is a demo- I really applaud this trend that seems to be growing- as I know some longtime fans were less than sure about the new gameplay system.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 1:05 pm Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
I know you didn’t have time for everything, but I’m shocked you didn’t mention the Naruto arcade game that’s being brought to America (unless I missed it?)

Oof, yeah, no, this was news that entirely flew under the radar for me, and I seriously didn't have the space for it this week what with two showcases. Cool to see we're getting one of those plate-dispensing games in the US, I just hope the plates aren't too pricey. Arcades are a much tougher business in the US...
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Lots of stuff firing off this week.... I'm really interested in seeing where the Rune Factory projects go, as I've been chasing that golden Wii Rune Factory Frontier high ever since the Harvest Moon name was bought out and tarnished by Natsume here in the US. Frontier still has yet to be dethroned, in my mind, as the best true Harvest Moon in existence, but the new ones are looking promising.

Kingdom Hearts is a massive failure to deliver on a promise, in my eyes. It was the merging of Final Fantasy and Disney that originally caught my fancy, and by the time I fell off after all of the Organisation XIII games, it just didn't really feel like Final Fantasy ever got the focus that I was waiting for - mainly no big main worlds like Ivalice or Midgar. It feels like they fell into a frustrating pattern of "Sora reacts to the Disney movie! Watch along with him and Donald and Goofy!" I really don't have an emotional stake in the series anymore, the handling and distribution of it has also soured my want to play the new ones, but I still may grab the original PS2 ones just to have archived since at the very least, they are still really colorful/solid action RPGs.

I'm concerned that the DW Origins announcement has me more excited than MH Wilds. There was a mystery and danger that prompted me to want to explore and find out more about Monster Hunter, way back when the original PS2 trailers started arriving for the first game. That feeling carried me through World (it's one of my favorites) but Rise completely obliterated that vibe for me - Wilds just kind of has my face turning in a bit of confusion now since I could have mistaken it at first for a Dragon's Dogma game. It's been a wild week.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I don't think I've ever encountered a Playstation Direct where I wasn't titanically bored. Something about the pacing and editing just doesn't click. Especially when they started it off with a five minute CG trailer for a hero shooter and the lineup was already leaked beforehand. Dynasty Warriors going muted is interesting considering Samurai Warriors went even MORE over the top and I have to agree that I prefer Monster Hunter Rise's more outlandish approach. Plus I just prefer to play Monster Hunter on handheld.

Anyway, summer announcement season in underway. Microsoft is up on June 9, so I expect the next Nintendo Direct after that, hopefully with the Dragon Quest III remake there. I do like the idea of the whole Erdrick Trilogy being remade considering their continuity, but that would take considerable overhaul of 1 and 2 to work. We shall see.
wolf10

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I watched the SH2 stream last night. It looks much better now than that "combat trailer" from a while back. The demo footage even had James running out of bullets before he could finish off an enemy, which is just such a Silent Hill mood. Most of my bad fears about the remake have been alleviated. My good fears should be rolling in with the fog October 8th.

Quote:
I feel bad because I don't know anything about Daemon X Machina and I don't know anybody else who does. It seems like a kickass mech simulator game like Armored Core, but I've never had the time to try it out.
I've never played Armored Core, but Daemon X Machina had the same producer and is probably the reason Armored Core VI even happened. It was a very fun throwback to to the candy-colored insanity of 90s mech anime, and a great time even to someone like me who doesn't really do stage-based mech shooters. Also, the entire soundtrack slaps (and it's all on Spotify so anyone who hasn't heard it needs to track it down now).

Lastly, I totally didn't realize that the "Astro" in Astro Bot was, in fact, that Astro, the little pal who came preinstalled on the PS5 as probably the greatest tech demo of all time. (There's now a voice in my head singing "Ess Ess Dee...") That went from a "yeah, whatever" to a must-play very quickly. Anyone who owns a PS5 and never bothered to check out Astro's Playroom really should.
LinkTSwordmaster

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 5:09 pm Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
Quote:
I feel bad because I don't know anything about Daemon X Machina and I don't know anybody else who does. It seems like a kickass mech simulator game like Armored Core, but I've never had the time to try it out.

I've never played Armored Core, but Daemon X Machina had the same producer and is probably the reason Armored Core VI even happened. It was a very fun throwback to to the candy-colored insanity of 90s mech anime, and a great time even to someone like me who doesn't really do stage-based mech shooters. Also, the entire soundtrack slaps (and it's all on Spotify so anyone who hasn't heard it needs to track it down now).

I'm more a fan of the original line of Armored Core games on PS1 and the Armored Core 3 series on PS2 than I was of 4 and 6. Armored Core 6 in particular felt like it leaned a bit too boss-heavy for my taste. Daemon X Machina actually hit the sweet spot I was looking for moreso. As a PS1 Armored Core fan, Daemon x Machina was everything I was hoping a modern mech game would turn out to be. In my book, it's a must-play, and on PC you can mod in the Witcher/Eureka 7/Code Geas DLC.

I'm generally glad to see more, especially when we are in dire need of Dynasty Gundam 2 and 3 on PC & modern systems, and Breaker 4 is potentially the only good Gundam game that's hit PC in an age.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 6:29 pm Reply with quote
I didn't watch the Sony State of Play directly, I watched 10-15 minute compilations sped up to double speed and then watched a couple of the individual trailers. Nothing really stood out to me.

I liked the art style of Infinity Nikki since I was hoping to see a single-player JRPG with the same general bright, colourful, cel-shaded anime aesthetics of a Tales game, if not an announcement of an actual Tales series game, so Infinity Nikki's trailer appealed to me on that front, but then I found out that it's part of a series of gatcha MMO dress-up games. I can handle the dress-up part, Mr. Dressup was a patron saint of my early childhood after all, but "gatcha" and especially "MMO" are two words that kill any personal interest I might otherwise have in a game. Hopefully, it's a spin-off that you can play entirely in single-player mode without any predatory microtransactions.

I have no interest whatsoever in looter shooters, so Concord and Marvel Rivals are non-starters for me, and everything else seemed to be in the category of games I'd consider renting from Blockbuster if that was still an option but there's still nothing that would make me want to upgrade to PS5 from PS4 just to be able to play them, not when there are dozens of PS4 games that I can buy for under $30 Canadian these days which I still want to play.

Last edited by Tenchi on Sat Jun 01, 2024 3:33 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Rogueywon

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Steam does need competition. Gaben has been a benevolent dictator, but at some point he will retire or die and then all hell breaks loose. Fully private companies are great until the founder dies, then the same problems that hereditary monarches have kick in.

But the competition they need is not Epic. Epic is part owned by Tencent, who are one of the enforcement arms of the Chinese Communist Party. Those lawsuits against Apple and others? Very convenient if you want to bring down the big Western tech companies.

Other than the weekly free-game thing (which, outside of specific windows, tends to offer stuff that's been in a bundle a billion times), Epic offer nothing to consumers. They're producer-led competition, trying to buy a monopoly (see Emirates in the airline industry). The sooner they fail, the better.

It would be good if GoG could get more notice as competition to Steam, as "DRM free" is an actual competitive benefit.
Nate148

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 8:34 pm Reply with quote
gabe is valve and he will be the guy to pick the new guy. Also, chinapobic crap really Epic just mad because they want more cash that it.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Rogueywon wrote:
But the competition they need is not Epic. Epic is part owned by Tencent, who are one of the enforcement arms of the Chinese Communist Party. Those lawsuits against Apple and others? Very convenient if you want to bring down the big Western tech companies.

…..But hardly anyone likes Apple though. Not to mention Apple doesn’t need anyone suing them to hurt them. They can simply keep over-saturating certain markets with their products and achieve the same effect.

Rogueywon wrote:
Other than the weekly free-game thing (which, outside of specific windows, tends to offer stuff that's been in a bundle a billion times), Epic offer nothing to consumers. They're producer-led competition, trying to buy a monopoly (see Emirates in the airline industry). The sooner they fail, the better.

It would be good if GoG could get more notice as competition to Steam, as "DRM free" is an actual competitive benefit.

Dubious as Epic business practices is I don’t see the benefit in them bowing out of the storefront market (unless they’re substantially hemorrhaging money. Especially when not all the storefronts from what I can tell have the exact same products.

I just like the idea of people complaining about the lack of competition in certain markets and then you get weird comments like this.

Quote:
Of course, this means that it's possible for a lot of literal garbage to make its way onto Steam (some games exist only to inflate Achievement scores), as well as a lot of asset flips and cheap edge lord garbage.

I didn’t know what RPG Maker was until I stumbled across some video games on GOG lured in by some so-so/terrible looking art and now that I do I hate the fact games made with the program having been banned from either Steam or Gog
Generations

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I do still call some media 'Kingdom Hearts bullshit', because I do still feel like KH (at least past the first few games) really are the worst written pieces of media I have ever subjected myself to.

But hey, now maybe I can play KH1 without all the terrible changes Final Mix gave it, thanks to mods.
Traptrix Lover

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 8:51 am Reply with quote
LinkTSwordmaster wrote:
Kingdom Hearts is a massive failure to deliver on a promise, in my eyes. It was the merging of Final Fantasy and Disney that originally caught my fancy, and by the time I fell off after all of the Organisation XIII games, it just didn't really feel like Final Fantasy ever got the focus that I was waiting for - mainly no big main worlds like Ivalice or Midgar. It feels like they fell into a frustrating pattern of "Sora reacts to the Disney movie! Watch along with him and Donald and Goofy!" I really don't have an emotional stake in the series anymore, the handling and distribution of it has also soured my want to play the new ones, but I still may grab the original PS2 ones just to have archived since at the very least, they are still really colorful/solid action RPGs.

I never expected them to visit Final Fantasy worlds, but the lack of Final Fantasy characters in 3 was a real souring experience. The first two Kingdom Hearts were my favorites. Also I fear that now Marvel and Star Wars are considered "Disney" any future games will have that stuff in it as well which was not what I originally liked which was classic Disney characters and worlds.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2