• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Toonami Kids Strike Back

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 10:50 am Reply with quote
mdo7 wrote:
I would love to see Toonami Rewind to include these anime that never got chance to shine on Toonami:

While I think it would be cool to see this new Toonami block be a way to air older anime on TV that never got a chance previously (& I'm just glad to see someone bring up B't X), it does feel like this block is aimed precisely towards airing shows that were on Toonami back in the day, even if it's in a "new" form (a la DBZ Kai & the uncut Sailor Moon dub), so I don't see it happening.

Maybe if the block does well enough to warrant possibly expanding in some form, though.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 11:41 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Toonami started in 1997 so they would be a pretty big part of that "word."
I'm referring to the notion that anime was looked more upon at the time as a product than an art form. Toonami was no exception, especially considering what S&P had to conform to in order to maintain sponsor confidence and keeping the soccer moms off their backs.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 1:50 pm Reply with quote
They still managed somehow to air an unedited episode of Outlaw Star and I think Tenchi on the block ooops.

Quote:
that Jonny Quest reboot virtually no one remembers,

[record scratch]

We are not about to be disrespecting the Real Adventures of Johnny Quest up in here.

Especially funny considering the 80’s reboot that gets glossed over,

Quote:
I straight up would not be the man I am today if, as a child, I didn't occasionally sneak out of bed to watch Yu Yu Hakusho, and I'm not ashamed to admit that!

Tough not being able to stay up late on a Saturday.

And I say this even while vividly remember dozing off to sleep right before Yu Yu Hakusho debuted on adult swim and being pissed and I think the following weekend I missed episode 2 eventhough wasn’t asleep for that one Razz
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 4:26 pm Reply with quote
mgree0032 wrote:
I want toonami rewind to also pick up Magic Knight Rayearth (both tv and ova) since Fox kids stole the rights from them.

Oh yeah and I agreed, I think that should also be added to the list too. I almost forgot that anime was released on blu-ray courtesy of Discotek (in native 1080p HD of course) a few years back. And given that Discotek is handling IGPX remastered which was recently re-broadcasted on Toonami. Maybe CN and Discotek can negotiate to see if any of Discotek's classic catalog can be given green light for Toonami Rewind broadcast. I mean I mentioned Star Ocean EX, and Flame of Recca on my previous post. I wouldn't mind seeing Fatal Fury OVAs, and Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture to be broadcasted on there. Hell, let's add Street Fighter 2: The Anime movie into the mix. If Toonami Rewind is able to broadcast Gunbuster OVA too (given that it's gotten both a HD release and a new English dub) in that line-up, that would make Toonami Rewind more valuable.

And given that Digimon: The Movie and it's uncut material that will be getting both an HD release and a new English dub for the uncut material, it would be awesome if Discotek can get this on Toonami Rewind. I would also love to see Toonami Rewind to broadcast Aura Battler Dunbine (reminder: the anime does have an English dub recorded back in early 2000's), and Gatchaman (Toonami already broadcasted the show under it's other name: G-Force: Guardian of Space). Hell, I wouldn't mind seeing Fafner being broadcasted on Toonami Rewind given that it was never shown on Adult Swim or Toonami back when it was released in 2006/2007 on home video, but it since then has been given HD up-conversion on Blu-ray release and it already has an English dub, so in my eyes and by today's standard, it's retro and I considered it as Toonami Rewind material. So why not give Fafner the broadcast it deserves.

That's my wish list for an excellent Toonami Rewind line-up.

Lord Geo wrote:

While I think it would be cool to see this new Toonami block be a way to air older anime on TV that never got a chance previously (& I'm just glad to see someone bring up B't X), it does feel like this block is aimed precisely towards airing shows that were on Toonami back in the day, even if it's in a "new" form (a la DBZ Kai & the uncut Sailor Moon dub), so I don't see it happening.

Maybe if the block does well enough to warrant possibly expanding in some form, though.

Hey, it's a dream, so don't take it that seriously. Although I do see some people thinking almost like I do when it comes to broadcasting older retro anime that never got chance to be shown on Toonami back in the day like this user on Reddit mentioned wanting to see Escaflowne, and Slayers on Toonami Rewind given that both of them were outbidded and broadcasted on Fox (well Slayers was going to be originally broadcasted on Fox Kids, but Fox's Standard & Practices forbid it and ended up on International Channel), and Escaflowne's Fox Kid broadcast didn't go too well. So I do agree that both Slayers and Escaflowne could've done way better if they were on Toonami and not on Fox Kids. But hey, it's not too late Escaflowne has already been released on blu-ray and the Ocean Group dub is still there, so why not take advantage of having Escaflowne on Toonami Rewind. That could really make up for the bad Fox Kid edit and broadcast.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mgree0032

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2024 10:58 am Reply with quote
When is toonami rewind going to use the pipe bumpers?
Lyrai

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2024 4:25 am Reply with quote
Toonami is how I found ANN, via looking up things and finding The Edit List and seeing all the stuff I was missing as the show was airing. What a wonderful trip own memory lane.
The interview that was done with Jason DeMarco helps bolster the idea that the people at Toonami genuinely, truly loved anime and worked very hard to make sure you thought it was just as cool as they did.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2024 12:53 am Reply with quote
I, like many others at the time, lived for Toonami. A lot of people didn't have internet and if they did, it was through a dial up modem that took days just to download 1 song.

I'll probably watch an episode or 2 of Sailor Moon just for the nostalgia factor, even though it's not the DIC dub that was there during my youth. Toonami and my days running home from school to watch Sailor Moon on 44 Cable 12 (which later became a UPN affiliate) was an important part of my childhood and what got me into anime. I definitely wouldn't have the collection that I have had I not seen alternative animation styles on TV.
ReNellGlover

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2024 5:07 am Reply with quote
@BeeDubsProwl: "Look, they don't have the space to air twenty episodes of DBZ a week anymore, that would eat into valuable Teen Titans Go time. So they gotta go with the version that takes up less room."

Technically, they don't air TTG as much as they used to now; they don't even air it on Sundays anymore
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2