• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sony to Launch Academy to 'Nurture Anime Creators in Global Markets'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 1:32 pm Reply with quote
NHK World just aired a piece about anime training and how to support aspiring animators

Quote:

Anime in crisis? Japan's signature artform at risk

Anime is a multi-billion dollar industry for Japan. But many young animators who have just started off are living in poverty, or chooseing [sic] to quit the industry all together. NHK World's John LaDue looks at why that is, and how some are hoping to fix it.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/videos/20240529203516793/
JudgeRequiem

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 6:35 pm Reply with quote
vorkedlarfleeze wrote:

Technically it's already being done with a lot of current anime animation being done by overseas animators companies hire and contract out. I know plenty of foreign animators work on shows like JJK and One Piece already. Specifically I know that Kay Yu guy who made the HoloCure game worked on Onimai last year

I don't have an issue so long as they just remain as workers doing what the creators tell them and respect the art and don't try to change things. Sony's name being attached to this is the most worrying thing to me given how they treated their Japanese games the past couple of console generations so their motivations are suspect to me.

I mean to be entirely clear these people are just freelancers, and they're being hired because of the common shortage of people to work on productions but no one can say they're bad they manage to do good work and keep up with the demand.
Now the second point I agree immensely, while we don't know how the new CEO is gonna manage everything I do hope he understands what is the appeal of anime and doesn't try to effed things up otherwise is just gonna fail.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 6:22 am Reply with quote
"[nurture] anime creators in global markets"

Each year it gets worse and worse. "Global market" & "globalization" are mistakes.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 7:33 am Reply with quote
@Rob19ny

Without the global market you are so upset about there would be no legal anime available outside Japan.
Shadow Revolution

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2024 11:03 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Rob19ny

Without the global market you are so upset about there would be no legal anime available outside Japan.

Reactionary talking points argue otherwise, screaming about some conspiracy that I have chosen to look with utter dismissal.
hitokiriizo

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2024 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Shadow Revolution wrote:
Alan45 wrote:
@Rob19ny

Reactionary talking points argue otherwise, screaming about some conspiracy that I have chosen to look with utter dismissal.

Yet you're using buzzwords like "reactionaries" and acting like there's some kind of grand anti DEI conspiracy?

Love westerners but the soapboxing on both sides of their politics and trying to push their nonsense culture war on us in Asia, we declined getting involved in that dirty diaper fire a long time ago because we have real issues to worry about, like NORK dirty bombs, US imperialism and CCP aggression is obnoxious and reeks of narcissistic cultural imperialism.

If I had a Baht for the amount of times privileged westerners have called my side of the world "Based", communist or "literally fascist", because they may have visited here once on vacation or get their information from Twitter, I'd be able to buy a Nissan Sileighty with a supercharger....
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3