• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sony to Launch Academy to 'Nurture Anime Creators in Global Markets'

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Traptrix Lover

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 10:45 am Reply with quote
Eh, I can't really blame people for freaking out. We've seen what happens when other Japanese hobbies start focusing on the western market and how they end up cannibalizing themselves. Although I'm not too worried since this will probably end up just meaning more stuff like Shield Hero and Solo Leveling since that's the stuff that's popular in the west.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 11:07 am Reply with quote
Traptrix Lover wrote:
Eh, I can't really blame people for freaking out. We've seen what happens when other Japanese hobbies start focusing on the western market and how they end up cannibalizing themselves. Although I'm not too worried since this will probably end up just meaning more stuff like Shield Hero and Solo Leveling since that's the stuff that's popular in the west.

What exactly are "Japanese hobbies"?
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 11:18 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Ermat_46 wrote:
Almost 10 posts in and no one has given any on-topic related criticism of this news yet.
You can't be surprised by this. The headline is begging reply guys to litigate the definition of anime away from Japan's own definition (literally any animation) and into one that reflects a view of the world that is both narrow and wrong (Japanese productions often outsource grunt work to other countries).

I think to English and other non-Japanese audiences, "anime" is a method of storytelling defined by a particular style and narrative method; America has been doing shows in the anime style for probably about 20 years. Between that and a declining Japanese workforce, actively pursuing global markets makes sense.

The "[nurture] anime creators in global markets, mainly by Aniplex and Crunchyroll with collaboration from across the industry" is just colorful PR crap. I'm surprised that people still fall for this. When in reality, all this means is that Sony is wants to train animators so that they won't need to beg people on Twitter to finish their anime.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 11:26 am Reply with quote
Well, hopefully it goes better than Warner's attempt at creating a new creator pipeline.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 11:50 am Reply with quote
That Little Rapscallion wrote:
Just don't touch the actual stuff or meddle with adaptions of manga people enjoy

Which is hilarious given the criticism of adaptations that people hate & like. For a variety of legitimate and non legitimate reasons.

casenumber00 wrote:
I rather not have outside influence to a medium that is created from Japaneses' people unique cultures, history, and personal experiences.

Which I hope people remember involves a bit of xenophobia, sexism, & you know some ugly atrocities involving war at home & abroad. Japan has it’s good sides like almost any country but also it’s bad sides like any other country.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 12:02 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
Just don't touch the actual stuff or meddle with adaptions of manga people enjoy

Which is hilarious given the criticism of adaptations that people hate & like. For a variety of legitimate and non legitimate reasons.

CR literally co-produce like a lot of anime per year. Do these people think that the overworked Crunchyroll producers who has to sit meetings for all of these shows has time to meddle with each show they fund? They can't even mandate the staff of shows they're funding to maintain a minimum quality for the shows they're producing. Like, its funny how you look at some of the worst shows in each year (A Girl and Her Guard Dog, Gibiate, EX-ARM, The Banished Former Hero Lives as He Pleases), and you see that it is funded by CR.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 12:36 pm Reply with quote
So will this lead to more foreign staff for anime's or foreign produced works in the vein of anime...?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I think the real concern about this isn't about anime losing it's uniqueness or whatever but the culture of overwork and underpayment that exists in other Sony-owned businesses like Crunchyroll.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 3:25 pm Reply with quote
To help the anime industry, Sony should raise wages at their existing studios and organize production schedules better.

If they do open an animation school, I hope it has classes on skills that are being lost, such as traditional mechanical animation. It may be quicker and more popular to do vehicles and whatnot with CG now, but animators should still understand the fundamentals.
Traptrix Lover

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 6:04 pm Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:
What exactly are "Japanese hobbies"?

Video games mainly. A lot of Japanese games target the global audience now and lost a lot of identity in the process.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Traptrix Lover wrote:
Video games mainly. A lot of Japanese games target the global audience now and lost a lot of identity in the process.

Which if we’re being fair was part of the reason many of these games for years were never released outside of Japan.
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 7:49 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
That's a domestically made American animated show, based on a Japanese video game. It's like how the Super Mario Show was an American show based on a Japanese video game..

It doesn't help Netflix advertises the show as 'anime'. I think people just have so little respect for American animation these days anything remotely non-conforming is slapped with the anime label in an attempt to escape the label of being a cartoon.

On topic: I'd rather Sony not get involve din anime given the direction they've gone with their video games. But if this is just marketin buzzword and they're going to make stuff like Gen;Lock and High Guardian Spice and other western cartoons that get billed as anime like Crunchyroll did then oh well. Just don't touch the actual stuff or meddle with adaptions of manga people enjoy

You do realize Sony is one of the most powerful entities within the anime industry, right? Especially via Aniplex (not to mention their numerous other subsidiaries). They've been involved in the industry since the 80s (peep the OG Vampire Hunter D OVA), and heavily involved since the 90s.
Lizuka

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 4:52 am Reply with quote
To me this just screams, "The meat grinder that is the anime industry is more and more struggling to keep up with the ever increasing demands of the market so we need to throw more bodies into it."
creativenerd

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2024 7:18 am Reply with quote
AsleepBySunset wrote:
Joe Mello wrote:
Ermat_46 wrote:
Almost 10 posts in and no one has given any on-topic related criticism of this news yet.
You can't be surprised by this. The headline is begging reply guys to litigate the definition of anime away from Japan's own definition (literally any animation) and into one that reflects a view of the world that is both narrow and wrong (Japanese productions often outsource grunt work to other countries).

I think to English and other non-Japanese audiences, "anime" is a method of storytelling defined by a particular style and narrative method; America has been doing shows in the anime style for probably about 20 years. Between that and a declining Japanese workforce, actively pursuing global markets makes sense.

Saying people need to adhere to the japanese definition of japanese loanwords is the etymological fallacy, or simply put, a bullshit argument.

It isn't an etymological fallacy. They didn't say how non-Japanese (or those outside of Japan) people use the word is incorrect based on its origin or historical usage. They said is it how Japanese people (currently) use the word. If they implied adherence, it would be due to two criteria. The first is the current usage of the word by this one large group of people (Japanese). Second, the different usage of the word by another large group of people (non-Japanese or outside of Japan) has become less clear or more inconsistent in what it is describing. Also, many other words are adopted based to how much they are used.
Shadow Revolution

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2024 12:38 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
That's a domestically made American animated show, based on a Japanese video game. It's like how the Super Mario Show was an American show based on a Japanese video game..

It doesn't help Netflix advertises the show as 'anime'. I think people just have so little respect for American animation these days anything remotely non-conforming is slapped with the anime label in an attempt to escape the label of being a cartoon.

On topic: I'd rather Sony not get involve din anime given the direction they've gone with their video games. But if this is just marketin buzzword and they're going to make stuff like Gen;Lock and High Guardian Spice and other western cartoons that get billed as anime like Crunchyroll did then oh well. Just don't touch the actual stuff or meddle with adaptions of manga people enjoy

Or maybe they should given how strong the reactionaries are handling this,. Granted right now the industry has its problems with the fact it's not creating enough successors

@Chiyosuke
It's just someone who was upset parrot popular reactionary phrases and buzzwords, saw this article on a twitteri feed and already heard the DEI buzzword when Sony was mention so screw that noise
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3