• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Switch Emulator Yuzu's Developers Cease Work, Pay Nintendo US$2.4 Million in Settlement

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:46 am Reply with quote
After doing some research, it looks like Nintendo was in the right to protect its IP from early leaks. However.. Nintendo was not in the right to squelching the 3DS emulation. which is a platform they no longer support themselves.

Regardless, these things only hurt the consumer in the end and as mentioned another group will popup and resume where they left off. I see no issues with emulation of any sort.

If Nintendo was truly concerned about losing money on titles they no longer offer for sale, then they would release their own device with access to offical roms.
wingweaver84

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
After doing some research, it looks like Nintendo was in the right to protect its IP from early leaks. However.. Nintendo was not in the right to squelching the 3DS emulation. which is a platform they no longer support themselves.

While I want to agree with you on that,they actually are in the right considering they still hold the 3DS IP whether they continue to support it or not. At the end of the day,it still belongs to Nintendo and the rest of us can either continue to emulate (under the table,of course) or suck it up.
i got the shivers!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
If Nintendo was truly concerned about losing money on titles they no longer offer for sale, then they would release their own device with access to offical roms.

Official means are always going to lose this fight because they have to deal with things like copyright issues, schedules,actual public perception and other things that unofficial things don't have to. Emulators can release with only a 50% compatibility rate and try to fix it over time but otherwise tell people to deal with whatever bugs or issues they have while playing games, but if an official release did that they'd at the very least suffer backlash for selling something that doesn't actually work if not run into fines for delivering a defective product. Even though a lot of games launch buggy and broken these days, I'm sure Nintendo wants to avoid being one of those companies Laughing And if they do spend time making more games compatible for Switch, you'll get the people inevitably asking why they're wasting time with old stuff people could just emulate and not making new games. People are gonna complain either way.
Azure Chrysanthemum

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Given everything Nintendo got in that settlement, I'm more inclined to believe Nintendo presented such strong evidence that Yuzu had basically no chance going to trial. This was not a good deal for Yuzu and if they had a strong case and with their apparent cash on hand, they'd have fought it.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:23 pm Reply with quote
I've got no investment in Yuzu, but, man, I hope Citra survives in some form. It's really useful for playing legally-purchased 3DS games on your PC (and I gather 3DS official support is basically dead anyway?), and not having to deal with the itty-bitty 3DS screen or tinkering together a direct 3DS HDMI port or something.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2