• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - What is the Anime Localization Controversy?

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgree0032

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I still don’t see how inserting the word “patriarchy” can cause so much outrage.
Traptrix Lover

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2024 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Does "criticism" include harassment and sending death threats or harassing the original mangaka over it? Is that how "adults" act?

You obviously know that poster is not talking about any of that, so why do you ask obviously bad faith questions in an attempt to try to associate any bad things that happen with people who have nothing to do with it in an attempt to discredit their point or the people who share a similar view? Do you think it's not incredibly obvious what you're doing?

I'm also not sure I ever heard about people sending threats to mangaka about bad localization. Usually people reach out to them to ask for help about them. Unless you're talking about the people who send death threats to the author of Ancient Magus Bride for supporting AI translations. But I assume not since that would just make the pro-localization/anti-AI side look bad rather than the group you're trying to target.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2024 7:51 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
OmniZeroAlpha wrote:

Here's the thing about being "adults". If you make a product for public consumption and you receive legitimate criticism regarding your product you can do two things: 1) be an adult, take the criticism to heart and make a better product OR 2) act like a child, ignore the feedback, and stupidly insist you didn't make a crappy product. Who makes the final call on whether a product is good or bad? The consumer.

Does "criticism" include harassment and sending death threats or harassing the original mangaka over it? Is that how "adults" act?

While harassment can be subjective, as could death threats, that is not how critics should react. Those coming from any person or any side concerning any matter, as well as doxing, is where the line has been crossed and the critics might not be any better than the side they are criticizing.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 5:34 pm Reply with quote
For the most part, this is a "nontroversy" that boils down to DRAGON MAID DRAGON MAID DRAGON MAID prison school DRAGON MAID DRAGON MAID DRAGON MAID.

Setting aside the fact that Funi removed the GamerGate reference from the home-video version of the Prison School dub, it's worth noting that "The Left" has also taken some issues with the Dragon Maid dub, yet you don't see left-wing outrage merchants still flogging that deadhorse 7 years later, and you don't see left-wingers calling for the industry to be burned to the ground by piracy, or for all the translators (or "localizers," which = "translator who makes localization decisions I disagree with") to be replaced by AI. It's just a bunch of disingenuous cherrypicking to smear official translations, and gain likes and subscribes from an audience that doesn't want to pay for anime and wants to see their grievance-based worldview validated.

So yes, this very much is a culture war, since all the whining about "political language" only comes from one side of the political aisle, and only complains about political stances that they disagree with.

Key wrote:

You should track down and listen to the English dub of Bodacious Space Pirates, then. It was made in 2012, a time when Sentai Filmworks was experimenting with using honorifics in English dubs. Why that experiment didn't last long is plain as you listen to that dub. While I generally like the dub otherwise (warts and all) and have listened to it many times, retaining the honorifics is awkward as hell. They're not structurally part of the English language, so trying to insert them in sounds forced. In cases where the distinction matters, there are other ways to convey the differences in familiarity that, while maybe imperfect replacements, still get the gist of the meaning across.

I haven't seen that one, but I have been watching the dub of the similar-vintage Little Busters!, and found that it's actually less localized than the subtitles. The dub uses honorifics all over the place, like "Rin-chan" where the subs use "Rinnie." Unfortunately, it winds up being a "worst of both worlds" scenario, where it sounds too awkward for dub fans, but the acting still isn't good enough to placate sub fans.

Key wrote:
As for the rest of the debate, I'll just watch from the sidelines and think about how translation firestorms have popped up periodically over the years and will probably never go away; I still recall people raging over "Ahiru" being translated as "Duck" for Princess Tutu's official subs and dubs. (Actually, that case is a great example of why context matters in translation decisions.)

The funny thing is, even the fansubbers who worked on Princess Tutu back in 2002 agree that "Duck" is appropriate:
StarCreator wrote:
As one of the people involved in Princess Tutu's fansubbing, let me reaffirm that ADV's naming is 100% in line with the original production staff's intentions, and I would appreciate it if people could refrain from knee-jerk accusations against anime companies for things that are 1) done absolutely correctly, and 2) entirely beyond their control.
I have very high praise and trust in the person who translated Princess Tutu for ADV, and I will not tolerate any baseless insults against her work.

OmniZeroAlpha wrote:
For years now, these localization companies have often employed rogue translators/localizers who have done things like add English memes with no context, add unnecessary slang, insert political language, censor the source material, skip translations, or straight up mistranslate the source material.
"Political language" = "they used words I don't like." Like the whining about how the Yu-No dub turned a reaction to a "Is it That Time of the Month?" crack from "That's so crude" to "that's so mysogynistic." And accusations of "censor the source material" are almost always based on ignorance, like those who accused CR of "censoring" shows like World End Harem when that censorship was already in the Japanese TV broadcast version.

Yet these same purity warriors don't have anything to say about many fan translations and fan-edits of official subs that insert memes/"political" language or engage in rewrites of the source material. It's all about the free stuff.

Juno016 wrote:
And if we want to throw salt on the wound, the "anti-Shonen Jump Weekly" crowd at the time harassed translators who had nothing to do with those wild decisions (harassing anyone is bad enough, but to go after the wrong person just made it worse, and it led me to feel like I was contributing to the chaos by helping with translations of the Japanese script online, so I pulled out and focused on unlocalized Madoka Magica spin-offs again).

I prefer the term "Social Injustice Enforcers" when it comes to those who oppose social justice initiatives, though I want to clarify that that's my personal stance, one not endorsed by ANN or any affiliated entities.
#MadManJK

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:41 pm Reply with quote
The thing is we don't care about fan subs or fan translations that are wrong because we are not paying for it. When I buy something I expect it to be untainted by people who are just 4kids but worse. at least 4kids censorship was so over the top we could laugh at it.
I am a progressive who is annoyed by people like Katerina who thinks they can dictate what people can and cannot see. Localizers when you go so far to left you become the same as those right-wing morality police Karen's. We have seen what has happened to comic's once agenda over story telling took over DC and Marvel comics. The outcome was sales flat lined to the point comic book stores are closing down at a alarming rate. In the City I live in alone has had five shut their doors for good in two years
vorkedlarfleeze

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2024 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Zalis166 wrote:
Setting aside the fact that Funi removed the GamerGate reference from the home-video version of the Prison School dub, it's worth noting that "The Left" has also taken some issues with the Dragon Maid dub, yet you don't see left-wing outrage merchants still flogging that deadhorse 7 years later, and you don't see left-wingers calling for the industry to be burned to the ground by piracy, or for all the translators (or "localizers," which = "translator who makes localization decisions I disagree with") to be replaced by AI. It's just a bunch of disingenuous cherrypicking to smear official translations, and gain likes and subscribes from an audience that doesn't want to pay for anime and wants to see their grievance-based worldview validated.

To be fair there's not really any point for left-wingers to go after translators. They usually are the translators themselves. Aside from a few examples like the article you listed, there's not really an issue of translations adding in right-wing talking points. I've never seen a translation throw in anti-communist lines like you tend to see for random anti-capitalism lines that pop up occasionally. I'm not counting Youjo Senki since all the anti-communist stuff is in the show originally.

Left-wing outrage is generally aimed at the creators themselves for the content that's in the series or for comments they've made. A Girl and her Guard Dog, Ghost in the Shell, Fire Force, Digimon Tamers, My Hero Academia, and other works where the creator has been attacked or harassed on social media. A couple weeks ago I watched as Katsuhiro Harada clap back against leftist activists on Twitter who dogpiled on him and accused him of being racist. So both sides do this stuff, it's just they tend to aim it at different people.
Hi! Jhonathan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2024 9:06 am Reply with quote
Mintchi wrote:
With all honestly and trying to bring something new to the table, unlike these "localization haters" of sorts, I do have the displeasure to explain what it actually means to live with the so called "100% faithfully translated anime" this people want.

For the last couple of years, translations for anime in my country, both in subs and dubs, are distributed into two categories:
1-The ones that go to animes targeted directly to their audiences, so to speak, like for places like Crunchyroll or Netflix originals.
2-The ones that will get a DVD-Blu Ray release, maybe available on streaming platforms if you're lucky enough. And if you pray enough, you'll even get a very very limited broadcast on cable tv for a very short while.

The first category will always have the type of translation and localization present in any other media that has been translated and localised to our language, what the ‘localization haters’ tend to dislike, so to speak. An adaptation of dialogues from it’s original language to another where the words may change but the intention and message of the original will be kept. BUT THEN there's the second category which could be coldly described as "the job's done, that's enough" translations which, to put it simply, only translates the dialogues while leaving anything that would need a localization unlocalized, in a very simmilar way a lot of fan-translations tend to work, and would probably still do. Examples of this could go from calling the Warlords and Emperrors of the Sea from One Piece straight up "the shichibukais and the yonkous", or calling Naruto's clone technique, or jutsu, into quite literally "the kage bunshin no jutsu". And in case I didn't make it clear before, this is for both subs AND dubs, and it's labeled as "100% accurate translations".
Also, i forgot to mention this second category is mainly comprised by extremely popular and more mainstream animes like My Hero Academia or even Demon Slayer, while some others like Spy x Family may end up on Crunchyroll or not even picked up, like the Precure franchise outside Otona Precure.

So to go back to the topic of this column, every time i have to witness this so called debate and see weebs whose entire knowledge on the japanese language is based on the same couple of words repeated over and over in all anime, no matter the genre, with google translate or any other similar webpage operating on machine and literal translations opened in another tabs of their browsers, while acting on social media like they have the N1 level of japanese language proficiency exclaiming they want "100% actually faithful (literal) translations", I START SWEATING.

Are you Brazilian by any chance? Because if yes, I would say that I love the translations we have in Brazil. They're faithful to the original text and many times they chose to leave the original phrases because they sound cooler, this is used mostly with attack names and it's always followed by notes, it's something cool because it conveys the meaning of the text while at the same time keeping the original mood and feeling. In Brazil we even have the tradition of keeping honorifics, and this is great because instead of trying to measly or badly adapting the names, the translator keep the original meaning while allowing the audience to learn a bit about the context of the work they're interacting with
Blue Senpai

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2024 11:29 am Reply with quote
Hi! Jhonathan wrote:
Are you Brazilian by any chance? Because if yes, I would say that I love the translations we have in Brazil. They're faithful to the original text and many times they chose to leave the original phrases because they sound cooler, this is used mostly with attack names and it's always followed by notes, it's something cool because it conveys the meaning of the text while at the same time keeping the original mood and feeling. In Brazil we even have the tradition of keeping honorifics, and this is great because instead of trying to measly or badly adapting the names, the translator keep the original meaning while allowing the audience to learn a bit about the context of the work they're interacting with

That does sound much preferable. I do prefer Shichibukai and Yonko in One Piece, and generally prefer untranslated attack names especially if it's not a faithful translation like Destructo Disk. It's also weird when they translate some terms and not the others like Haki.
OmniZeroAlpha

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
OmniZeroAlpha wrote:

Here's the thing about being "adults". If you make a product for public consumption and you receive legitimate criticism regarding your product you can do two things: 1) be an adult, take the criticism to heart and make a better product OR 2) act like a child, ignore the feedback, and stupidly insist you didn't make a crappy product. Who makes the final call on whether a product is good or bad? The consumer.

Just for the record, I do not condone or encourage death threats/bullying/doxing online of any kind. I'm personally saddened and angry that original mangakas or creators are getting death threats over their fictional content. You can criticize someone's work especially if it's out in the public, but there's no logical reason hate someone's work so much (especially as the work is FICTION) to give death threats.

That all being said, are you confusing my statement about being adults with X/Twitter freaks who send death threats over fictional content? My point was that Western localizers need to be PROFESSIONAL ADULTS when working with Japanese IP. Western localizers for years have essentially taken a dump on Japanese IP and when fans of Japanese IP call the localizers out (a.k.a. criticize their crappy product), they double/triple down on their misdeeds. Even though I hate these Western localizers, I still wouldn't send those idiot localizers death threats. Instead, I take my complaints/criticism out in social media and then quietly vote with my wallet by not buying any products they touch.
Bonebrain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 2:58 am Reply with quote
I don't recall who it was the asked awhile ago, but regarding the musing of if something like Ghost Stories could be made today without backlash: the answer appears to be no going off the Lovely Complex dub situation that dropped today. It might have been something you could get away with in the Steven Foster-era of dubs, but in the age where even a single line can get an entire translation of a series put under scrutiny it seems very unlikely an entire dub with such disdain for a series and creator themself would be tolerated by modern anime audiences who are more aware of the whole situation so nothing like a "Ghost Stories failed in Japan" can ever happen again or spread very far without fact checks happening.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:54 am Reply with quote
The Lovely Complex dub threw gasoline on the situation because the translator bragged he changed the script while disparaging the original product, reinforcing the idea of "localizers hate your anime and hate you" people want to push. His material never made the final product, and everyone involved with the dub made it a point to distance themselves from him with good reason with both Discotek and the studio saying they will never work with him again, but the damage to the conversation has already been done.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:41 am Reply with quote
Bonebrain wrote:
I don't recall who it was the asked awhile ago, but regarding the musing of if something like Ghost Stories could be made today without backlash: the answer appears to be no going off the Lovely Complex dub situation that dropped today. It might have been something you could get away with in the Steven Foster-era of dubs, but in the age where even a single line can get an entire translation of a series put under scrutiny it seems very unlikely an entire dub with such disdain for a series and creator themself would be tolerated by modern anime audiences who are more aware of the whole situation so nothing like a "Ghost Stories failed in Japan" can ever happen again or spread very far without fact checks happening.

I'm not familiar with the new Lovely Complex situation, but it sounds like the Ghost Stories situation was a very different animal. The company was up front from the beginning that they were making a parody dub (rather than trying to sneak something in) and they did still include a faithful subtitles option for the small number fans who cared about the series in unadulterated form.

Honestly, I'd love to see a company do something like this again, or at the very least toss in alternate-dialog outtakes like ADV used to do fairly commonly back in the mid-2000s. Those were usually quite funny. Would be fun to see the social media verse go nuts over it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 10:07 am Reply with quote
Heh, my first reaction to the Lovely Complex thing was, "Oh hey, now the people in that thread may have something legitimate to complain about, instead of bringing up single lines from years ago that no one else blinked at."
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 11:17 am Reply with quote
To clear up a couple things that have gotten lost in Fandom Telephone:

Brendan Blaber, the guy who wrote that post, isn't a translator and did not do the translation for Lovely Complex. He's primarily a voice actor and youtuber who's worked in mostly minor roles in other TV anime. As far as I can find, he's never been credited with anything beyond voice work on an anime before now, where he's credited for ADR script co-director, assistant script writer, and Lyric adaptation for Lovely Complex.

More concretely, while his (now deleted) post is absolutely insulting in a number of ways, it doesn't seem that what he said in it is accurate to the actual dub. Changes he says he was responsible for making (to, in his telling, make the show better) are either not present in the final product, or are largely identical to the original subtitle script as to barely be noticeable. He also seems to have exaggerated or straight up lied about other edits. There's also some strange bits where he claims they changed a character's reasons for disliking another, but that dynamic was already present in the original Japanese.

So this really isn't a Ghost Stories situation, because the actual dub seems pretty accurate and faithful to the original. Problem is, it's hard for any given person to know that when the dub isn't streaming anywhere and only available on the recent blu-ray release. So a lot of folks are taking Blaber's post at face value and believing he totally trashed the final product, when that doesn't seem to be the case.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Figures that the guy was completely full of crap. In retrospect, especially after that statement Sound Cadence put out, a lot of what he said didn't pass the smell test. There are too many people involved, including on the Japanese licensor side, who need to sign off on localization choices for any one writer to be able to sneak through massive changes like that without approval. And that's what so many of the complainers don't understand: nowadays, the Japanese side is more involved in the licensing process than ever, so a lot of the localization choices they're up in arms over presumably got a stamp of approval, or at the very least an indifferent shrug. Hell, that was even the case for the eternal chestnut Ghost Stories: by all accounts the only things the Japanese side insisted on were keeping the names of the ghosts and how they were defeated intact, and everything else was fair game for ADV to change as they pleased.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 13