• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Ancient Magus' Bride Manga's Return Gets Simultaneous English Release Using AI Translation

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
IkariBrendo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:23 pm Reply with quote
Belkov wrote:
IkariBrendo wrote:
Belkov wrote:
I had got read about Machine Learning translations of Manga being used in the industry now and was going to start a topic on it until I stumbled upon this one.

I just want to say thanks to everybody who had contributed and gave both sides to the debate.

I just want to make one point, if I may. I am new to Manga and I'm sure there are a lot of great series out there that will never get a non-Japanese translation. Wouldn't a machine translated version of a series, regardless of it's quality, be better than nothing?

No, because there is no logical or ethical reason to resort to machine translation. If a company can afford to license and publish a series, then they can afford to pay people to do proper work. The only reason not to is greed, and therefore they don't deserve consumers' money.

That's not what I am saying.

Some Manga's will never get for instance an English translation because the market is deemed not big enough to justify the cost. Why shouldn't Machine Learning technology be used for these publications to give English speaking customers these publications?

If something wouldn't sell well enough to justify the cost then they wouldn't do it. Even the MTLs that have been released have been "edited" (read: retranslated) by actual translators, so it still ends in someone having to do all the work and get paid less. And that still doesn't cover the issue of lettering, and as we've seen with Rugby Rumble AI technology is not suitable for that.

If something isn't going to sell well enough to justify the cost of production and publication, but there are people who actively want it, then it's already being scanlated anyway and those people have a way of reading it, even if it's not legal; now I'm certainly not endorsing or encouraging scanlation, but there's not really any loss if, as you said, they wouldn't make back the cost of producing and publishing a localization anyway. People who want physical copies that bad can just buy the Japanese version and it'll be cheaper and higher quality than a MTL version would ever be.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Belkov wrote:
IkariBrendo wrote:
Belkov wrote:
I had got read about Machine Learning translations of Manga being used in the industry now and was going to start a topic on it until I stumbled upon this one.

I just want to say thanks to everybody who had contributed and gave both sides to the debate.

I just want to make one point, if I may. I am new to Manga and I'm sure there are a lot of great series out there that will never get a non-Japanese translation. Wouldn't a machine translated version of a series, regardless of it's quality, be better than nothing?

No, because there is no logical or ethical reason to resort to machine translation. If a company can afford to license and publish a series, then they can afford to pay people to do proper work. The only reason not to is greed, and therefore they don't deserve consumers' money.

That's not what I am saying.

Some Manga's will never get for instance an English translation because the market is deemed not big enough to justify the cost. Why shouldn't Machine Learning technology be used for these publications to give English speaking customers these publications?

The costs of licensing and producing a work are such that paying a proper translator is never the breaking point. It's penny pinching nonsense that is propped up only to make weak defenses like the one you think you're making seem reasonable. It's a complete misnomer that isn't seeking to solve the problem you think you're addressing. Don't fall for it, and continue to demand that works be given proper translations by people qualified to do the work.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm very curious about how much sign-off Yamazaki has on this.
irenatheunicorn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 5:43 pm Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:
Continue to demand that works be given proper translations by people qualified to do the work.

You may want to rephrase that lest people think you're siding with the anti-loc crowd by using the same rhetoric they use.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:04 pm Reply with quote
irenatheunicorn wrote:
ATastySub wrote:
Continue to demand that works be given proper translations by people qualified to do the work.

You may want to rephrase that lest people think you're siding with the anti-loc crowd by using the same rhetoric they use.

Anyone that thinks "qualified to do the work" means anti-localization rather than translators that are able to effectively use language to its fullest are going to twist any phrasing to their nonsense.
Belkov

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Doubleclouder wrote:
Belkov wrote:

I agree this can hopefully lead to more works that otherwise would not be feasible to reach wider audiences overseas.

Without Machine Learning, publishing companies could translate a lot more Manga's by employing many more translators and pay for it by increasing prices for all titles. I wonder how many of those who are against ML, would be willing to pay more for this?

Leaving that aside, as well as getting more Manga series published in different languages, there is the possibility of amateur /Doujinshi? self published works getting translations.

I'm new to Manga and I don't know if that part of the Manga scene is for me but I would like to see and ML would be the only route available to me apart from learning to read Japanese which I'm not sure I have the motivation for.

Besides, I'm sure there are a lot of stuff outside the Mainstream stuff published by the big companies that are as good, if not better and surely people should overcome their prejudices towards ML if it allows these series to gain more exposure and popularity?
IkariBrendo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Belkov wrote:
Without Machine Learning, publishing companies could translate a lot more Manga's by employing many more translators and pay for it by increasing prices for all titles. I wonder how many of those who are against ML, would be willing to pay more for this?

Leaving that aside, as well as getting more Manga series published in different languages, there is the possibility of amateur /Doujinshi? self published works getting translations.

I'm new to Manga and I don't know if that part of the Manga scene is for me but I would like to see and ML would be the only route available to me apart from learning to read Japanese which I'm not sure I have the motivation for.

Besides, I'm sure there are a lot of stuff outside the Mainstream stuff published by the big companies that are as good, if not better and surely people should overcome their prejudices towards ML if it allows these series to gain more exposure and popularity?

It feels incredibly disingenuous to only reply to someone who's adding nothing to the discussion other than to flatly say they agree with you, and it's honestly a bit suspicious that their account was only made today. It's doubly disingenuous to then craft a completely imaginary scenario (that you pass as a definite truth) where the cost of books must be increased exponentially to be able to pay translators; you have no idea what the rates are like nor what the sales numbers are--there is no real scenario where the cost of paying a translator would outweigh the profit. It doesn't feel at all like you really intended a discussion in good faith, and instead feels like you thought you could dish out some gotchas or something. The people who have experience in the industry know more about what we're talking about than you.
IkariBrendo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Gem-Bug wrote:
Someone who apparently works in the industry but is here advocating MLT is what I would constitute as suspicious. Moreso with a 5-year-old account with a small amount of posts, most of which being sporadic over the last year(and mainly on related industry controversies). Confused

Huh? I'd really advise you actually read the things I've said in this thread because you're just making things up. Super weak to stalk my profile too to try and pwn me. Get outta here, be serious
King Chicken

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:12 am Reply with quote
From what I read it was the mangaka and publishing company who advocated for this. Even with the most bad faith reading of this just being done to cut costs, industry people would still be the ones to benefit from that so it makes sense why would advocate for it. I'm not sure why that would raise suspicion or doubt.
Belkov

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:21 am Reply with quote
@ IkariBrendo

You have been registered on this site for more than 5 years. I have been registered here for a couple of months and have posted about half the number of comments you have made.

If you weren't so aggressive, arrogant, throwing accusations & slurs and generally being on such a high horse, I would have given you a bit more respect and empathy to your position. I'm sure others who read your comments will feel the same.

Might be something to think about?
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:29 am Reply with quote
IkariBrendo wrote:
Gem-Bug wrote:
Someone who apparently works in the industry but is here advocating MLT is what I would constitute as suspicious. Moreso with a 5-year-old account with a small amount of posts, most of which being sporadic over the last year(and mainly on related industry controversies). Confused

Huh? I'd really advise you actually read the things I've said in this thread because you're just making things up. Super weak to stalk my profile too to try and pwn me. Get outta here, be serious

I went back and read the last two pages of the thread, and now I don't even know why I replied to you in the first place. I actually agree with what you're saying and may have meant to reply to someone else. Apologies!
Belkov

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:33 am Reply with quote
IkariBrendo wrote:
Belkov wrote:

It feels incredibly disingenuous to only reply to someone who's adding nothing to the discussion other than to flatly say they agree with you, and it's honestly a bit suspicious that their account was only made today. It's doubly disingenuous to then craft a completely imaginary scenario (that you pass as a definite truth) where the cost of books must be increased exponentially to be able to pay translators; you have no idea what the rates are like nor what the sales numbers are--there is no real scenario where the cost of paying a translator would outweigh the profit. It doesn't feel at all like you really intended a discussion in good faith, and instead feels like you thought you could dish out some gotchas or something. The people who have experience in the industry know more about what we're talking about than you.

I don't know if you have a stake in this by being a translator by profession but if so, judging by your replies which has nothing to do with what I had said, it's hardly surprising the publishing companies are wanting to use Machine Learning.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Belkov wrote:
IkariBrendo wrote:
Belkov wrote:

I don't know if you have a stake in this by being a translator by profession but if so, judging by your replies which has nothing to do with what I had said, it's hardly surprising the publishing companies are wanting to use Machine Learning.

Nah he correctly called out your bad faith. You made up a false dichotomy where the choices were

1- machine translation
Or
2- prices of everything goes up to pay actual translators

That’s not what’s happening or ever needs to happen. The companies attempting this are making more money than they ever have. They can easily afford to pay for qualified translators by not hoarding profits. They do not want to do that, and even the machine learning is for the same miserly reason in that they do not care about the consumers, their workers, or the artists making what they’re selling. They simply want to make the most money possible by delivering the lowest quality product possible. By engineering a false scenario where this is totally ok and the only options are to further it you are not arguing in good faith.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:13 pm Reply with quote
ATastySub wrote:
Nah he correctly called out your bad faith. You made up a false dichotomy where the choices were

1- machine translation
Or

That’s not what’s happening or ever needs to happen. The companies attempting this are making more money than they ever have. They can easily afford to pay for qualified translators by not hoarding profits. They do not want to do that, and even the machine learning is for the same miserly reason in that they do not care about the consumers, their workers, or the artists making what they’re selling. They simply want to make the most money possible by delivering the lowest quality product possible. By engineering a false scenario where this is totally ok and the only options are to further it you are not arguing in good faith.

That's an extremely bad faith reading of Belkov's post. Statement like a company is making money hand over fist is meaningless if you can't show that particular title is worth it otherwise. What shop would sell an item at a loss, no matter what their overall profit is?

Your post didn't address the second point of his post, that individual creators may possibly use this down the line to translate their own self-published works.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2024 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
ATastySub wrote:

1- machine translation
Or

That's an extremely bad faith reading of Belkov's post. Statement like a company is making money hand over fist is meaningless if you can't show that particular title is worth it otherwise. What shop would sell an item at a loss, no matter what their overall profit is?

Your post didn't address the second point of his post, that individual creators may possibly use this down the line to translate their own self-published works.

Speaking of bad faith posts here’s another! The article is on Bushiroad doing this to Ancient Magus Bride. Playing the “what about this completely different scenario to excuse it?” isn’t the discussion. It’s a way to pretend that there’s a legitimate reason for this company to be doing it with a scenario that has nothing to do with it. Good try as ever to muddy the waters to make a disingenuous point. At least you held off on the eclipses at the end this time!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 15 of 16