• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Apothecary Diaries

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
(I started writing the following post when Rebecca's was the latest.)

The idea about Jinshi supposedly being the emperor's brother isn't anything explicitly stated, either. It's a whole lot of hint-hint, wink-wink, nudge-nudge from a variety of things -- the question being asked of just what the deal is with this "inner palace manager" who seems to have an awful lot of authority, the mention in the garden party of the emperor having a mysterious brother who never shows himself, the specific movements Jinshi made during the party, along with the clothes he wore and the attention drawn to his qilin hairpin.

It is confusing to me that his identity seems to be wrapped in two layers of secrets -- most of the rear palace seems to think he's just another eunuch, with nobody really knowing where he's from. Assuming Maomao's theory is correct, and that does seem to be what we're meant to think, I'm not sure how many people know he's really the emperor's brother, and how many know he's really really his firstborn son.

A rough timeline from what we know and believe so far:

• ~34 years ago: Emperor Sr. knocks up a disturbingly young girl, who gives birth to Junior. Ah-Duo's mother becomes Junior's wet nurse; Ah-Duo herself is about a year old at this point.
  • Junior and Ah-Duo are wed as teenagers. Ah-Duo becomes pregnant around the same time as the empress, Junior's mother.
  • ~17 years ago: Ah-Duo and the empress give birth to boys. Luomen acts as doctor for both, but has to prioritize the empress. Ah-Duo somehow arranges for the babies to be switched. (Maomao is born around this time too; we don't know where or to whom.)
  • Fengming accidentally causes the death of the empress's second son, who she thinks is Junior and Ah-Duo's son. (I think it's around this point that Luomen is punished and sent away.)
  • ~5 years ago: Emperor Sr. takes another disturbingly young girl as a concubine, the 9-year-old Lishu. She grows attached to Ah-Duo. Fengming learns from her about infant botulism and tries to keep the knowledge away from Ah-Duo. At some point (I'm not clear on how long this is after Lishu becomes a concubine), Emperor Sr. dies, which means the empress becomes the empress dowager, Junior goes from being crown prince to being the new emperor, and Lishu's packed off to be a nun somewhere.
  • Unknown times: Lishu returns to the rear palace as Virtuous Consort; Gyokuyou and Lishu become consorts; Emperor Jr. and Ah-Duo's son (who at least some people think is Emperor Jr.'s brother) starts working in the rear palace as "Jinshi"; Emperor Jr. has multiple children who die in infancy.
  • Maomao is abducted.

I know it may be confusing because the previous episode they said both boys were born 17 years ago, but it was in fact 18 and a bit. As someone explained to me, it is some weird thing with how chinese count years (because I clearly remember from the LNs of certain character being more than a year older than MaoMao). MaoMao is at least a year younger (in case anyone will try to speculate of her being one of the children).
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:25 pm Reply with quote
Nachtwandler wrote:

I know it may be confusing because the previous episode they said both boys were born 17 years ago, but it was in fact 18 and a bit. As someone explained to me, it is some weird thing with how chinese count years (because I clearly remember from the LNs of certain character being more than a year older than MaoMao). MaoMao is at least a year younger (in case anyone will try to speculate of her being one of the children).

Is it perhaps the opposite? They we're born 17 years ago but ARE 18?
This would make sense with old East Asian Age reckoning
Where on the day you are born you are 1
And then every New Years you become 1 year older
(So in theory a baby born in December would be 2 in January by this method, but would be 1 month by modern systems)
Nachtwandler

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Anyway, my point is that MaoMao is a year younger.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Just caught up on this in the last few days and have been really enjoying it Smile

Maybe Fengming hasn't been around babies much or this isn't (or wasn't) a common thought, but I wouldn't have ever thought to give a recently born infant anything other than milk.

If they were switched, it must have been some scheme to manage to switch the empresses newborn. You'd think that child wouldn't be left alone.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2023 11:40 pm Reply with quote
I think I just need to wait until things leave the realm of speculation on both the characters' and the viewers'/readers' parts. Shay Guy's summation helps a bit, but my brain just starts fogging up after the third bullet point. I think it's some kind of psychosomatic resistance to ancestors.com or something, kinda like how I want to curl up and go to sleep the minute I enter a shopping mall. Laughing

Thanks anyway, everyone who tried to sort me out!
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2023 1:03 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I think I just need to wait until things leave the realm of speculation on both the characters' and the viewers'/readers' parts.

I have a feeling that won't happen until .... season four or more.
Thesarum
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I think I just need to wait until things leave the realm of speculation on both the characters' and the viewers'/readers' parts. Shay Guy's summation helps a bit, but my brain just starts fogging up after the third bullet point. I think it's some kind of psychosomatic resistance to ancestors.com or something, kinda like how I want to curl up and go to sleep the minute I enter a shopping mall. Laughing

Thanks anyway, everyone who tried to sort me out!

The fridge section of supermarkets make me yawn constantly. I've no idea what it is.
MPAndonee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:12 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only one who wondered what was going on at the end when Jinshi implied of spoiler[a familial relationship between Maomao and Fenming?] Did I miss or misinterpret something? I guess we'll find out next episode.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2023 11:55 pm Reply with quote
MPAndonee wrote:
Am I the only one who wondered what was going on at the end when Jinshi implied of spoiler[a familial relationship between Maomao and Fenming?] Did I miss or misinterpret something? I guess we'll find out next episode.

What's going on with that - and the consequences of it - should, in fact, be the main focus of the next episode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:16 am Reply with quote
Key Wrote:
Quote:
What's going on with that - and the consequences of it - should, in fact, be the main focus of the next episode.

Which brings us to the end of the first novel. So far there are a total of nine volumes translated. Apparently there are fourteen volumes issued so far in Japan as of this September. A lot more material to animate should they choose to do so.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:34 pm Reply with quote
This was a misunderstanding on the level of a genuine romcom, just one side doing what they think is best for the other for once even if it's exactly the last thing the other person wants at this moment and they do a bad job of conveying it. Good thing we've got wingman Gaoshun to help push them through it!

Also that scene with Jinshi stealing an indirect kiss from Maomao's lips...even she was shook up a little.

I don't think we needed another recap of the show with an insert song at this point, but I guess it's a reliable way to end the cour.

Jinshi really is learning. Buy over grams with the money, buy Maomao with the herbs!
Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 11:58 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
This was a misunderstanding on the level of a genuine romcom, just one side doing what they think is best for the other for once even if it's exactly the last thing the other person wants at this moment and they do a bad job of conveying it.

While you might see something like this in a romcom, that scene felt like it was drawn much more specifically from classic romances between a man of high status and a servant woman. Wouldn't at all doubt that it was intentionally intended to give that impression.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 12:07 am Reply with quote
Quote:
After Fengming's execution, a full eighty women in the inner palace who had purported ties to her had to be let go, and Maomao's assumed family of origin worked for Fengming's family. These numbers should probably give us all pause—if eighty out of two thousand women reportedly had business ties to Fengming's family and we know that Maomao was kidnapped and given falsified records, that could indicate that Fengming's family is somehow complicit in the kidnappings. While it's possible that they just have a lot of business associates, the numbers still seem high (as Jinshi himself notes)—and when we add in Fengming's words last week about how she entered the inner palace at her family's behest, we should probably wonder about what political intrigues are in play.

The problem is that Fengming's family is a merchant family who supply stuffs for the inner palace so they would naturally have a lot of ties to other part of the supply chain. The Palace basically did a huge purge of it employee who has connection to Fengming no matter how small the connection is (like maybe just have business deal once before is enough), probably as a way to protect the secret of the switched Princes.
Azure Chrysanthemum

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 7:52 am Reply with quote
KarlFranz wrote:
Quote:
After Fengming's execution, a full eighty women in the inner palace who had purported ties to her had to be let go, and Maomao's assumed family of origin worked for Fengming's family. These numbers should probably give us all pause—if eighty out of two thousand women reportedly had business ties to Fengming's family and we know that Maomao was kidnapped and given falsified records, that could indicate that Fengming's family is somehow complicit in the kidnappings. While it's possible that they just have a lot of business associates, the numbers still seem high (as Jinshi himself notes)—and when we add in Fengming's words last week about how she entered the inner palace at her family's behest, we should probably wonder about what political intrigues are in play.

The problem is that Fengming's family is a merchant family who supply stuffs for the inner palace so they would naturally have a lot of ties to other part of the supply chain. The Palace basically did a huge purge of it employee who has connection to Fengming no matter how small the connection is (like maybe just have business deal once before is enough), probably as a way to protect the secret of the switched Princes.

In general I'd imagine considering how close this cuts to Imperial China, that it was just a big part of the major punitive measures for an active attempt on what would be second only to an actual Empress. Usually when someone did something like that you WOULD see whole families punished, so the switched princes isn't even necessarily a factor over the entire family and their business connections being made an example of because they tried to assassinate one of the favored consorts.
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2023 8:22 am Reply with quote
This episode definitely felt like a "between two books" episode
There was some good content, but the series of events to get Maomao into the Outer Palace (As the preview mentions) felt a little contrived
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 30