• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Our Anime License Holy Grail

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nyaa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:51 pm Reply with quote
immortal1982 wrote:
I'll throw a silly old series out there. Maze: The Megaburst space was a Fantasy and sci-fi isekai from the old CPM days that never got picked up again after going long out of print. Its worth it to just hear seki have a performance so over the top and ham, it makes his gilgamesh look absolutely humble.

I have the now hard to find CPM dvd set-did you ever watch the japanese home video version that was only released on laserdisc? I managed to find an ld rip of it somebody uploaded 5 or 6 years ago and it's as ranchy as the "long lost" ova episode.
immortal1982

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:33 pm Reply with quote
nyaa wrote:
immortal1982 wrote:
I'll throw a silly old series out there. Maze: The Megaburst space was a Fantasy and sci-fi isekai from the old CPM days that never got picked up again after going long out of print. Its worth it to just hear seki have a performance so over the top and ham, it makes his gilgamesh look absolutely humble.

I have the now hard to find CPM dvd set-did you ever watch the japanese home video version that was only released on laserdisc? I managed to find an ld rip of it somebody uploaded 5 or 6 years ago and it's as ranchy as the "long lost" ova episode.

Dont believe i have but the series was just a fun memory from being a teen, i did rewatch it during the pandemic and it still holds up pretty nicely.
trilaan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:44 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:

trilaan wrote:
Sexy Commando, of course.

I'm glad someone else has seen this Laughing

Me, too. Laughing

Also, Naoki Urasawa's Monster needs a new physical media release. I'm still so mad at VIZ for not completing the DVD release.

Oh, and the City Hunter sequalternatuniverspin-off series Angel Heart.
SquirrelSurrender

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:00 pm Reply with quote
KIKAIDER THE ANIMATION: ALL OF IT.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:13 pm Reply with quote
  • License Rescue: Fulllmetal Alchemist (2003)
  • New License: Heartcatch Precure
  • Proper Adaption: Ojamajo Doremi
  • Physical Release: Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 3:24 pm Reply with quote
My top pick would be Minami-ke (2007), the slice-of-life comedy show about the daily lives of three sisters (who are presumably orphans but neither the manga nor the anime really ever addresses the elephant in the room) who each go to a different level of school, each with its own group of supporting characters.

Minami-ke is one of the greatest anime from the peak of the 2000s "Cute Girls do Cute Things" wave but, unlike Azumanga Daioh, Lucky Star, K-On!, or Strawberry Marshmallow (which shares a studio, Daume, with the first and greatest season of Minami-ke), it never got a North American home video release and only the fourth (and so far final) season, Minami-ke Tadaima from the Winter 2013 season, ever got licensed for streaming.

I think, at this point, the only North American distributor left that would possibly still give Minami-ke a Blu-Ray release is Discotek but, even then, I'd probably have to wait for Discotek to start licensing mid-2000s anime TV series.

I'm also still waiting for a Blu-Ray announcement for the supernatural slice-of-life comedies Gabriel Dropout (which shares a series director, Masahiko Ohta, with the first, greatest season of Minami-ke) and The Great Jahy Will Not Be Defeated, both of which featured Naomi Oozora playing a "Woobie"-type devil girl (Satanichia Kurumiizawa McDowell a.k.a. "Satania" in Gabriel Dropout and Jahy herself in The Great Jahy Will Not Be Defeated).

EDIT:
njprogfan wrote:
Boy, I would love to see one of the funniest anime I've ever seen:

Minami-ke from 2007, I remember watching this online and laughing so hard. I couldn't believe I was laughing at a cartoon made overseas as hard as I was, the comic timing was so on point. The sequels aren't as well made as the first season, but they have their moments.

Ah, good, I see I'm not the only Minami-ke fan here.

I know it's nowhere near on par with the first season but I also have a soft spot for Minami-ke Okawari because several of the episodes are set in the middle of winter and have a cozy but slightly melancholy winter vibe that I find very true to life.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:08 pm Reply with quote
For me I would really like to see Ginga Nagareboshi Gin, Ginga Densetsu Weed, and Space Family Carlvinson licensed.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2023 10:27 pm Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:
Touch... Windaria... Is that you, Justin Sevakis?

Very Happy Nope, but it's nice to hear that someone else out there wants those.
MiniMarps

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:51 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
The Complete Collection on Sentai's site includes both 1 and 2 seasons (hence ~600min), and the Non Non Biyori Nonstop Collection is the third season (~325min). So yes, Sentai has released all three.

Oh yeah, you’re right. I stand corrected.

On the other hand, the combined cost of the complete series comes out to roughly the same price as 3 years’ worth of Hidive subscriptions. I wanna rewatch Non Non Biyori, but not that badly. Anime smile + sweatdrop But, that's a discussion for another thread.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 2:56 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
trilaan wrote:
Sexy Commando, of course.

I'm glad someone else has seen this Laughing

Many, many years ago in a late-night video room at Anime Weekend Atlanta, they were just showing random episodes of various shows, and spacing them out with 8-minute episodes of Sexy Commando. Half the room was laughing their heads off; half the room was begging the programmer to make it stop. I was definitely in the former group.
xonathan22

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:32 am Reply with quote
I vote for cool 90's OVA' s. Specifically:

Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 3:41 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

I checked again, and seems I was wrong. The Complete Collection on Sentai's site includes both 1 and 2 seasons (hence ~600min), and the Non Non Biyori Nonstop Collection is the third season (~325min). So yes, Sentai has released all three.

There are two pieces of the Non Non Biyori anime that have yet to get an official western release, at least on disk, the first two manga bonus OVA episodes.

The first Non Non Biyori OVA was shorter than a regular episode and dealt with the girls (and Suguru, who's a guy) getting prepared to go on a trip to Okinawa, with the actual trip story being a drama CD. Much of this OVA, and the drama CD, was remade into the Non Non Biyori Vacation theatrical movie but there was a scene unique to the OVA with the girls plus Suguru going to a "nearby" (only an hour or so by bike!) convenience store.

The second OVA was a full-length episode with four different stories from the manga, each taking place in one of the four seasons. I'm a lot more disappointed that we never got that second OVA in the west on Blu-Ray than I was the first OVA episode (although that first OVA should've really been a bonus item on the movie Blu-Ray, especially considering the movie was only around 70 minutes long and weirdly left out some of the places they visited in Okinawa in the manga).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 4:14 am Reply with quote
Arpeggio of Blue Steel Ars Nova Movies
Re:Creators
Ixion Saga DT
Magical Girl Sasami S
Now and Than, Here and Their
Zipang
Valkyrie Chronicles
Hell Girl
xxxHolic
Macademi Wasshoi!
Karin (Chibi Vampire)
Rec

These are all the titles that either want licensed rescued or jsut licensed in general.

Some of them just never got to any licensor like ReC or Ixion Saga DT

Some were licensed but still never got released in physical media like the Arpeggio films or Valkyire Chronicles or Re:Creators.

While others have been lost cause of the bankruptcy or expiration of former companies like Genon and Bandai Titles.[/list][/list]
trilaan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:23 am Reply with quote
Thespacemaster wrote:

Ixion Saga DT

Oh, yes, I loved Ixion Saga, definitely want to have it in my home.
isahackjob

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Panzer World Galient

I already got my Giant Robo and LOGH blu-rays years back and am quite happy, but if i could get just one more it would be Galient.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9