• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
My Daughter Left the Nest and Returned an S-Rank Adventurer (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:06 pm Reply with quote
b-dragon wrote:
What a pleasant note to end the episode on.

I half-expected the old-timers to be some of Bel's acquaintances when he started adventuring. Maybe the party he was with when he had his incident. I'm kind of glad they weren't though- I feel like old, non wizard adventurers are in short supply in these sorts of shows, and establishing 2 badass old martial men is fun.

IIRC from episode 2, the "demon kings" of myth are essentially rogue, abandoned homunculi? If I remember that right, I like that origin. Mankind creating its own demons is generally fertile ground for stories, though I somewhat doubt the show will delve far into that kind of theme. Or maybe it could?

Absolutely stupid theory here, because as a monkey with a keyboard I entertain myself (and very rarely others,) with such inanities:spoiler[Angeline is also a homunculus. This is evidenced by whatever power she tapped into to cut through "Baal". But while Baal was abandoned and went kinda nutty, she was nurtured, trained, and beloved. Humanity engineers its own destruction, but its ability to form relationships can be its salvation.]

I like your theory, b-dragon. Smile

I was really afraid she wouldn't make it home this episode, despite the title. They sure did wait til the last minute! But I was so hoping she'd reprise her cute "Squeeze me" line when they met and she wanted a hug. It would've shown she was still his little girl, even all growed up. Smile

Btw, I think the retired guys were acquaintances of Belgrieve, though not in his actual party (he may have been soloing when he lost his leg - I don't recall seeing anyone else when he got chomped, but it was a memory, so who knows how complete it was). Ange seemed to know them quite well, but if they retired before she started adventuring, the only way she would is if they'd visited Belgrieve now and then.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 5:15 pm Reply with quote
I agree it's a cool theory.

The whole time the wagon kept getting closer to the village, I found myself tensing up thinking that something was going to happen to mess up the moment. But thankfully, this show wasn't that cheap or exploitative. In fact, I've liked each episode better than the one that came before it, and I started out liking this show alright.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

My prayer that the be all and end of all of this show not be Ange trying to get back to her dad and always being thwarted was both heard and granted. Excellent. They only stretched that premise over 3 episodes which isn't bad at all. Also, @ b-dragon - I agree that is a cool theory and it'll be interesting to see if it is true.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:15 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, as I recall, I replied to b-dragon without quoting them because I didn't realize I'd be on a new page. And when I posted I was too lazy to fix it as I usually do when that happens. At least I thought I didn't. And yet, there's the quote. Did it get edited? Or am I losing more of my mind than I'm already aware of? oO I'm just confused since usually mods will note that they edited a post and even sometimes say why.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:49 am Reply with quote
Well now, I am very pleasantly surprised at the turn of events in the third episode. Not only was the demon king dealt with (for now), but father and daughter were actually reunited. I was worried that they were gonna drag it out for like the whole season or even longer. As for the formerly retired adventurers, I can not think of many other shows that have their most powerful fighters be retired S rankers. I do wonder if that means that there are very few young S rankers or that they are simply elsewhere.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 5:26 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Hmm, as I recall, I replied to b-dragon without quoting them because I didn't realize I'd be on a new page. And when I posted I was too lazy to fix it as I usually do when that happens. At least I thought I didn't. And yet, there's the quote. Did it get edited? Or am I losing more of my mind than I'm already aware of? oO I'm just confused since usually mods will note that they edited a post and even sometimes say why.

[gaslighting] Why, Gina... whatever do you mean? That quote was always there. Are you feeling alright? Perhaps it would be best if you lie down for a while? There, there...[/gaslighting] Wink
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2023 3:43 pm Reply with quote
So what you're saying is, I was only imagining being lazy? That I'm truly diligent and hardworking even on autopilot? Wish such delusions manifested irl in my house... >.>
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:27 am Reply with quote
Um, no. What I'm saying is that you are clearly losing your mind. And therefore, you should make me power of attorney, with full authority to conduct your financial affairs. Heh-heh-heh....

But veering back on topic: I suppose there is an outside chance that a mod added in the quote on your behalf but I think the far more likely explanation is that you did it yourself and simply forgot (because on the encroaching insanity, of course).
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 10:52 am Reply with quote
Despite the ominous first bit (demon lord escape?) episode 4 was a comfy time. Father and daughter finally had time to reconnect. What followed were a lot of fluffy moments, also a bit of awkwardness concerning the red ogre nickname (which fits perfectly). The rest of the party managed to warm up to pops pretty easily too. As for the duel, I get why it went down like that, but pops was a bit harsh, though he had to be for reassurance that Angeline can handle threats worse than him.

As for the big revelation, I guess that means that pops lost his leg to a demon lord in the form of a wolf? Given his abilities that would make sense, since I do not see a regular wolf getting the drop on him like that. I do wonder how next episode will go, peaceful episodes are usually followed up by bad times.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Belgrieve was absolutely harsh, but...I definitely see why. You can't really half-ass fighting Demon Lords.

I definitely thought the shadowy wolf was a figment of his nightmare, more than the actual memory. But if not...curious. I wonder if that maiming was more intentional than otherwise assumed? I partly ask because something still doesn't add up about Dear Old Dad here- he was E-rank for 3 years, before a shadowy (presumably demon lord,) creature retires him...when he just happens to find an abandoned baby who grows into an unusually powerful woman? And Belgrieve himself is far stronger than he has any right to be- far more than simple humility accounts for, I think. Hmm...I think I've got another crackpot theory coming on:
spoiler[Belgrieve was specifically identified and targeted by a demon lord looking for a way to offload a homunculus child. When the shadow wolf thing took his leg, it also somehow empowered him- just enough to be able to train such a child. This could account for the power gap between a 3 year E rank, and an injured man who can't quite handle an S-Rank.]

What isn't as much a crackpot theory: The dude just unofficially adopted 2 more adult daughters.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Welp, panic can make people do stupid things. Going straight to all or nothing, "Obey me or else" mode seemed out of character for Belgrieve (I keep wanting to call him Red), but at least the scene had a reasonable motivation instead of just being blatantly shoehorned in just to provide some drama no matter how inconsistent the excuse.

I do understand how terrifying it would be to know that your much loved, never-truly-been-hurt little girl was out there facing danger every day, and I can imagine how Belgrieve might have felt when young, happy Ange didn't understand what her dad was feeling and laughed it all off like it was nothing. I get how badly Red might have wanted to stress the seriousness of it all to Ange in that moment. And while I'm bringing up "At leasts," at least they didn't spiral the miscommunication into a multiple episode arc..

B-dragon, as far as that last theory goes spoiler[ If that's the basic idea, could Red be the artificial life form? Specifically, maybe Red was implanted with a basic story that he never questions and created to take care of Ange because she has some strange "Demon" related bloodline or what have you. That also might explain why nobody seems to have heard of Red, and why he doesn't seem to have aged beyond the same middle-aged self he was when he found Ange, why his adventuring career is so vague, and why we haven't heard any references to his old adventuring buddies, even in the E-ranks. ] Or maybe not. But I agree, something's not adding up about the origins of the two leads..
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 1:03 pm Reply with quote
I would sooner expect there to be something special about Ange than pops. I think that pops has always been very strong, yet he had the bad luck to run into something outrageous just when he got started as an adventurer. Rest in piece adventurers career.

As for the new episode, we have gone from cozy times to delivering a letter, smacking an arrogant guy with glasses and probably dealing with some cult business. For glasses guy I hope that he can at least put up a bit of a fight, it would be sad if he is as pathetic as the Thunder guy from the bar. As for the cult, they seem pretty strong, so it might be a decent challenge for the gang.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Yah, I don't really believe spoiler[ Belgrieve is a homunculus either. Just pointing out that it's possible. ]

And while we're on the subject of possibilities that I don't discount but am not sure I believe either, I'm not totally convinced that glasses boy is on the up and up and just a straightforward admirer of Helvetica <--spelling?

Looking forward to next weeks showdowns.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2023 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Why does anime think that whenever women get together they always gotta talk about boobs? I've never once had that conversation, unless you count doctor visits, and even then size was not the topic. oO

When they were traveling, there was a very conspicuous guy with an ax reading a map and looking kinda lost. Seeing as he was in the foreground of the shot, he didn't strike me as generic bystander A. And he's not! I guess we'll be seeing more of him soon, since he's in the border parade during the end credits. Smile I think everyone except maybe the elf is accounted for now (we haven't seen the elf yet, have we?), though I'm not sure if the naked girl-child that pops in and out is a young Ange or the Demon Lord. I'm thinking the latter?
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2023 3:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, the new episode kind of settles it, Ange is probably a homunculus or something of the sort, otherwise I can not explain her reaction to the aura/energy that thing gave off. Otherwise it was a busy episode. Ashcroft got beaten twice, yet redeemed himself later on in the episode. We had the backstory of Charlotte and why she is using her scare and save tactic. There was also mister fat noble who seems miffed that his plan has not gone well, he will surely try something again later on.

Solid episode, though the fights feld a tad underwhelming.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5