• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Vinland Saga's Makoto Yukimura Shares Opinion on Violence: 'Consider Attack on Titan'

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2023 6:22 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
ZiharkXVI wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:
ZiharkXVI wrote:
Your opinion of fictional violence having no correlation is complete guesswork

Well, by that logic, I could easily say Vinland Saga promotes violence simply because it has violence in it. Doesn’t matter if the author says otherwise, that doesn’t prove it objectively.

See? It’s presumptuous to say any series promotes violence unless it flat out says it does. It comes off as slightly moral guardian-y, and lord knows that behavior most of us are beyond tired of. How about taking a stand against real violence, and not worry so much about the fictional story about people turning into kaiju and wrestling each other?

And yes, CLEARLY the violence was what made AOT so popular. The animation, directing, music, characters, story, etc. were all clearly mostly irrelevant in it becoming popular. CLEARLY.
You keep saying things I am not saying. I never said the story wasn't good, etc. I just stated fighting is what attracted the audience. They likely stayed because of competent writing.

And I used the logic of "I don't know and neither do you". All I did was point out an opinion of yours on the correlation in interest (because you can't really prove/disprove it) and tell you yet again I didn't say that anime violence causes actual violence. I don't believe that to be true.

-no, you said it’s how it became popular. A show needs people to stick with it to be popular. So you did actually imply fighting alone is what kept people watching.

-that’s not even an opinion, how many more psychological studies need to confirm watching/playing violent media does not cause a person to commit violence? That’s not “complete guesswork” as you claimed if it has research backing it up.

The problem is you initially stated AOT revels in violence like it’s a fact not an opinion when both series have an anti-violence message yet also feature violence so ultimately it comes down to pure preference, and maybe making accusations towards another series isn’t a good way to get fans of said series interested in checking out the series you like. While it’s not as bad as the way some Bocchi the Rock fans behaved (gee, I wonder why I haven’t checked out the show a few fans felt the need to call Komi garbage purely for having a lead going through similar issues, and called Chainsaw Man overrated trash purely for daring to air the same seasons? Hmm, it’s almost like I really enjoy those two shows, and maybe don’t want to give a show a chance if a few of its fans feel the need to insult the things I like unnecessarily), it’s still not great. At least Yukimara himself didn’t directly insult or accuse AOT of anything, he just seemed to point out AOT happened to have more violence, but he never said it was being dishonest about its intentions.

I feel as if you are arguing against someone else, but whatever. I'll say it one more time just in case you do not understand me. Correlation does not imply causation. All I said was there is a desire in people to see violence - and I believe (I could be wrong) Yukimara is commenting on that in terms of AoT. The irony that the violence is selling the show when the show's message is that of anti-violence.

And if you think I implied that the violence is all the fans of the show care about, then I apologize - it was not what I meant to imply. I'm not a critic of the show...although I have often wondered about the dichotomy between the fact that the show is anti-war and yet everyone is constantly fighting. It's a really common message in anime, but the idea is a point of tension in logic. To dumb it down a bit, I'm always amused when the main character is telling people to not fight, but then proves the point by fighting. I think what drew me to Yukimara's comments is that he followed through in many respects along a line of growth for the main character suggesting that abstaining from fighting is difficult and perhaps, just perhaps achievable. Whereas many shows descend into a more nihilistic view that while violence is ugly, that's just how things are. And people suffer in horror. I'm not sure I ascribe to either of these viewpoints in total, but whatever way you end up taking the message, I get that Yukimara is saying that he is interested in a different path than that of AoT. That's all.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 4:27 am Reply with quote
I honestly don’t care about violence in fiction. I enjoy stories that are violent and I would be hypocrite if I said I didn’t.

But for me personally Vinland Saga is a much better written story than Attack on Titan. For one thing Vinland Saga doesn’t constantly rely on plot twists and shock value to tell its story.
Nagsura

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:13 am Reply with quote
[quote="jr240483"]
Matros wrote:
at least they didn't use the "KILL EM ALL TOMINO STYLE" aspect when it comes to a violent and unforgiving world!

The rumbling says hi, nevermind more than half the cast dying repeatedly throughout the series before even getting to that point.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Not sure if I would call AoT anti violence, it's definitely anti war but I would argue that the series see violence as a tool.

The best scene I can think about its the one when Mikasa thinks Eren is dead and is about to let a titan eat her, we then see various scenes of Mikasa watching an spider eating a butterfly, her father bringing a duck for dinner and then Eren killing those assailants to save her which then makes her wake of her trance and fight for her life.

AoT argues that the world is cruel and violence its necessary to live and defend your freedoms, its simply stating a fact based in a cruel reality.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:30 pm Reply with quote
I actually had no idea the Vinland Saga and Planetes were both created by the same author!
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 8:12 pm Reply with quote
Late to this discussion -- I was out of town most of the past week -- but I had some thoughts.

I'm sixteen episodes into Vinland Saga Season 2, and I'm super enjoying it, and I really like how it's executing its themes and Thorfinn's personal growth. That said… I'm really not sure how interested I am in what Japanese men like Yukimura or Miyazaki have to say about pacifism. If you'll forgive me grossly oversimplifying a culture I'm an outsider to, I get the sense that generally the core of debates about pacifism in Japanese culture comes down to:

"Should we take a step back in the direction of being the horrific empire we were for much of the first half of the 20th century? Or should we, you know, not do that?"

And… that's not the social context I come from. In my community, it's more like this: "When the most conspiratorially-minded of our neighbors, who believe that everything wrong with the world would be better if only we didn't exist, decide that the time has come to do something about us -- and they will, that train's never late -- what do we do?"

Æthelred vs. Sweyn and the fallout from that conflict fit really well into the "tragic cycle of violence" narrative of war, especially when you add Askeladd's comments about the Saxons dominating the Britons. But I still have to question any view of violence that doesn't bother to separate the insurgents of the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising from their opponents.

(I might be interested in current Ukrainian views on pacifism, too.)

Furthermore, the answer Thorfinn's coming around to in the latest episodes I've watched is "find somewhere new". To the extent that was possible even in the 11th century (the Americas were far from empty), it no longer is. Every square kilometer of land on the planet has been mapped. And my people have tried "pick up our bags and go" over and over -- been forced to, really. It's only ever been a temporary solution. The hatred and lies, some of which are ingrained in long-popular teachings of the world's most powerful religion, follow us everywhere.

In the end, my favorite treatment of the topic might be from a certain goofy '90s book series I've always loved, about kids turning into animals and fighting aliens: "Maybe there are times when violence is justified -- to defend yourself, to defend freedom. But no matter what, even if it's for the most just reason possible, violence will corrode your soul and destroy the lives of innocents. There are no good wars. When the time comes for one, think very hard about whether it's worth the cost, then think some more."
Traptrix Lover

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2023 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Not sure if I would call AoT anti violence, it's definitely anti war but I would argue that the series see violence as a tool.

I'd be curious to know what a "pro-violence" series entails or is. Just having cool fights? I don't know many shows that would say hurting people is good as it's main takeaway message. Fighting is always an necessary thing, the kind of irony of how pacifists have to use violence to defend or attain a peaceful world they strive for
2-2Distracted

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2023 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Currently watching Planetes (which in Greek means Wanderers) and I gotta say that I love how Yukimura's pacifism is still made clear even this early. It still shows how hard it is to resist resorting to violence in the year 2075 because of how painfully complicated trying to live honestly is when humanity is still doing the same shit that Thorfinn is learning about.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2