• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Koei Tecmo, Gust Announce New Atelier Resleriana Game for iOS, Android, PC

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerje

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 3:34 pm Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
No words, only swearing at this point.

Really — just imagine after a series was quite on the rise for years after the Ryza games profits, KT decided to make a reveal for the next mainline game... that is nothing but gacha with smartphones in mind — despite they had no actual success when they tried to do it already first with Atelier Online (which is already dead), nor do Gust have any major success from gacha at all — like with Blue Reflection Sun — and if anything, it's majorly pissing off the core auditory of the series, who are playing the game mostly on consoles for years, with this reveal.

Plus if Atelier Online was the indicator of how screwed the p2w of this game can be and they decide to go the same way — well, it will be BAD.

Is it really any different than Final Fantasy XI and XIV? Not only do you have to buy the base games and expansions at full price but you also have to pay a monthly subscription. All you're doing here is trading all that in for a gacha mechanic. Unless this turns into one of those games where you have to pay hundreds to have any hope of beating the final boss I doubt people will spend more on this game than those games if they have any type of restraint. It may not be an MMO, but the upkeep is going to be similar with server and game maintenance and regular event programing.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 4:35 pm Reply with quote
I think that "gacha mechanics" are, intrinsically, awful on their own and definitely worse than overpricing or flat recurrent payments.
Like it's not just about how much money they might (or might not) extract from your pockets, it's about the impact it has on the actual game experience and what alterations it might cause on the actual lives and health of its playerbase.
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2023 7:58 pm Reply with quote
Yuvelir wrote:
I think that "gacha mechanics" are, intrinsically, awful on their own and definitely worse than overpricing or flat recurrent payments.
Like it's not just about how much money they might (or might not) extract from your pockets, it's about the impact it has on the actual game experience and what alterations it might cause on the actual lives and health of its playerbase.

This
Gacha games are intensely predatory
That alone is enough for me to look at this with a side eye. But the impact that would have on the feel of a (modern) Atelier game is crippling imo
onpufan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:33 am Reply with quote
I don't really think this is the end of the world. I have no interest in mobage and am not interested but we just got Ryza 3 so it's not like we're in some kind of drought. This isn't like the Breath of Fire mobage announcement for me.

I remember playing an Atelier game on the Switch that felt like a mobile game already. The gameplay for exploring was essentially an auto-walker. I forget which one it was because I really didn't like it much and only played it for like an hour.
tuturuu

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:56 am Reply with quote
another jrpg series bites the dust
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:36 am Reply with quote
onpufan wrote:
I don't really think this is the end of the world. I have no interest in mobage and am not interested but we just got Ryza 3 so it's not like we're in some kind of drought. This isn't like the Breath of Fire mobage announcement for me.

I remember playing an Atelier game on the Switch that felt like a mobile game already. The gameplay for exploring was essentially an auto-walker. I forget which one it was because I really didn't like it much and only played it for like an hour.

The Atelier series has already made several... questionable choices chasing after easy money. The worst part wouldn't be these characters and story being wasted in a bad game, but it actually working financially.

That game you played I suspect might be Nelke & the Legendary Alchemists, which is a spin-off as opposed to a mainline game like this one is supposed to be.
Not like the exploration is the most enthralling part of any Atelier game tbh.
hornet65

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:45 am Reply with quote
Wait, I don't understand... Do you guys not have phones??

Diablo Immortal all over again.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Huh, so the development of it is(was) given to the team behind Dead or Alive Xtreme Venus Vacation?

OK, they're the same company, but still, that earns a bit head-scratching...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2