• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Jujutsu Kaisen Season 2

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 12:17 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
There are only 3 options to explain what happened at the end of JJK0:

- He is working with Geto.
- He did kill Geto and replaced him with a dummy or something.
- Geto tricked him.

What makes these the only options?

It could be, for example, that Gojo couldn't bring himself to kill his old friend, and, thinking "I am the strongest", told Geto to get out of his sight, but never to endanger the world again. And, then killed some sort of body-substitute (hence the 'squelch'), but is not actively working with Geto, and would confront/kill him again if he realized Geto was a problem.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I am discarthing that possibility because Gojo letting him go again, specially after the disaster Geto just caused, to not to be believable.

There is also the problem that, well, Geto is the main antagonist right now, he is a problem so... why doesn't Gojo kills him them?

There are other possibilities I am discarthing, like Gojo getting away or being rescued simply because that doesn't explain why Gojo doesn't go and kill him, just like the possibility of Gojo being unable to kill him by a curse because it would be a Harry Potter rip off.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:51 am Reply with quote
Did the episode 5 review get posted at some point and the site never got updated or is it delayed?
Stelman257

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:44 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Everything from the destruction of the village to Geto's big confrontation with Gojo felt just a bit…rushed, I guess. It's nothing bad enough to derail the story, but I couldn't help but feel that even one more episode of breathing room would have made it easier to feel Geto's fall from grace. As it stands, I understand it perfectly well, but it doesn't provoke the kind of emotional reaction in me that I would have liked

Ahhh that's such a curse of so much modern media, I feel like they can never just let the juicy dramatic moments like that truly breathe.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:53 am Reply with quote
“Was the explanation of Gojo's descent into genocidal villainy done well?”

I think Geto goes here instead of Gojo.

Anyways, I concur with the reviewer, the problem is that Geto and Hao Azakura, at a fundamental level, are the same character, but, Hao had WAY more trauma-mental bagaje on him so Geto feels like a bad copy.

We needed at least one episode more and Geto needed a bigger trauma, and it kinda piesses me off the fact that the series had the answer to do his heel turn so fast: Make the curses he consumed corrupt him.

The final decision should be his, but the corruption would have made his speedy turn more believable.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:57 am Reply with quote
This was his choice. Why would the author undermine it with the usual corruption crap? The only reason that would've happened would be to give Geto an out at the end of the story of "now that you're purged, you can join the good guys". No. Let the man see his decision through to the end.
db999

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:01 am Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
I am discarthing that possibility because Gojo letting him go again, specially after the disaster Geto just caused, to not to be believable.

There is also the problem that, well, Geto is the main antagonist right now, he is a problem so... why doesn't Gojo kills him them?

There are other possibilities I am discarthing, like Gojo getting away or being rescued simply because that doesn't explain why Gojo doesn't go and kill him, just like the possibility of Gojo being unable to kill him by a curse because it would be a Harry Potter rip off.

I think you might be mistaken here. Geto doesn’t lead the religious organization anymore after JJK 0. That organization is probably completely done at this point and Geto and his surviving allies, are in hiding. It’s not like Geto after JJK 0 is continuing to utilize that cult, he’s essentially living in that beach, pocket dimension where all of the High Grade Curses are. If Gojo let Geto live on the expectation that he does not act up again I agree that it doesn’t make any sense why he isn’t going after Geto, unless Gojo knows Geto is alive, and letting him enact his plan because Gojo wants to get rid of the higher-ups. I think the most likely scenario is that Gojo thought he had killed Geto but Geto is still alive and survived somehow so Gojo doesn't know he's still alive. Or there’s also a theory I heard that Gojo did kill Geto and that a cursed spirit is now possessing Geto’s body but Geto is actually dead, but I’m not so sure about that theory.
db999

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:03 am Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
EDIT: Separately, I was disappointed that the latest episode included the bit about 'Tengen-sama' being stable. Honestly thought it worked way better thematically, at least given my read of the story and atmosphere/character motivations to date, if Gojo's lone and primary failure had led directly to the collapse of the sorcery world's primary structural pillar, leaving all the responsibility basically directly on him.

See I think of it differently. The explanation about Tengen being fine is another knife twist that convinces Geto that the non-sorcerers need to die. She’s essentially telling him that their mission was completely pointless and never needed to happen. So everything they went through to keep Amanai safe, the bonding they went through with her, his crushing defeat by Toji, and all of the turmoil he’s feeling, he never needed to go through. So it’s another thing that convinces Geto to go through with his plan.
zekro94

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:08 am Reply with quote
I feel like they did explain it very well, the fact that he got close to Riko and see her die in an instant, no goodbye, no nothing. The one responsible gets away and he has no way of avenging her, seeing Gojo doing it he feels like he failed her a second time. But what truly got him in a state to hate people was seeing how others don't value human life, he sees this first when they recover the body of Riko, so many people in that room claping and having a great time because she's dead. She was special and because of that people wanted her dead so after Geto goes to the village and sees those two girls imprisoned because they can see curses he just....can't anymore. Why save people who won't let others live just because they're special?

So for me these episodes really do convey a realistic descent into villainy. A shame that we now have to wait for the next episode
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:11 am Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:
This was his choice. Why would the author undermine it with the usual corruption crap? The only reason that would've happened would be to give Geto an out at the end of the story of "now that you're purged, you can join the good guys". No. Let the man see his decision through to the end.

Sorry, his choice was not believable for me, it needed more work, the corruption was just a sugerence to do it so fast.

Just as the reviewer says: it mostly works but feels rushed.
tintor2

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:13 am Reply with quote
Honestly, this flashback made me appreciate more Gojo as a protagonist over Itadori. Gojo felt so refreshing to see due to the comedy he brought to the scenes as well as how amazing was his fight with Toji. His relationship with Geto was also good not only due to the buddy appeal but because Gojo almost implants him the idea of making genocide. Itadori feels more like Peter Parker but without the fun. The only time he felt fun was when he interacted with Todo but that was far too ridiculous.
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 11:46 am Reply with quote
Non-manga reader here

Regarding this week's review, I kind of like that the show didn’t dwell on the final moments of Geto’s final break and subsequent conclusion. It didn’t need to. The seeds were sown upon Riko’s the initial belief of Gojo’s) death. He couldn’t handle the loss & anger, & which point he was just a pressure cooker going to explode. We’ve all seen fallen hero narratives & most of us in our darkest moments have wanted the world to die in one form or another, so I appreciate being denied some sort of climatic explosion. We knew what happening behind those eyes, & frankly, after the exposition bloat this series suffers from, I’m happy when it allows silence & absence of expression to speak for itself.

I suspect he would have lashed out at anything given the reason, but those smiling cultists denying his pain & hate gave a literal face to it, and even when he told Gojo that killing them would be wrong, you knew he already didn’t believe it. The rest was just a matter of time.

Although, even with the cause of curses coming from the normal human psyche, I do find it awfully convenient he went after the easiest, most vulnerable targets, rather than say, the callous & manipulative system that created a monster like Tojo. The entire sorcerer system, with its abusive, eugenics-obsessed class system that allows the most callous & cruel to succeed & the meekest to suffer, could be claimed to be equally, if not more so threatening to the people & things Geto most treasures. But for better or worse they tend to create strong-willed people, and in many regards Geto is meek & submissive in the face of many of the larger-than-life characters. Far easier to dominate the physically & emotionally weak & bolster the image of yourself as a leader & strong man than challenge the most difficult problems & individuals head on. I think his targets and the sneaky, manipulative nature of his revenge is just another expression of the weakness in his nature that caused his ideals to crumble at the first sign of resistance.
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I think you people are forgetting two very, very fundamentals points.
1: Geto is 16 years old as of the time of Hidden Inventory. Because anime has a very peculiar artstyle and voice acting, we tend to forget that many characters are actually children so seeing someone die in front of them because they were weak and then seeing that failure be cheered by the weaklings he fought so hard to protect... that takes a toll on a kid's mind.
2: Geto was extremely close to Satoru Gojo. They were the closest of friends and Geto saw that same Gojo be killed because those same weaklings. And then there was Haibara after that. And many others. All they while, he had to keep on swallowing curses that tasted like "a rag used to clean vomit" in his own words. And all that for what end? To protect the same people that got Riko dead? The people who hearly had him and Gojo dead? Haibara died to protect those people. And then when they see someone different, like the two girls, do they protect them? No. They torture and abuse them. And he sees all that while being, mind you, 16 to 17 years old. Geto is not a full fledged adult with years of growth and experiences. He is a kid fighting a losing war, seeing his friends die and using a weapon literally fed on negativity.
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 12:34 pm Reply with quote
I too concur, that Geto's fall could've used another episode to flesh out scenes like that village event and more to truly cement the deal.

But there are a lot of good themes going on.

The 'evolutionary' one, where after Toji kicks his ass, he says, "Remember, this non-sorcerer monkey was the one who beat you." Which seems to be how Geto now thinks of average people as monkies, and then reinforced by the idea that they can be forced to evolve into sorcerers.

The direction is on point, perhaps thanks to visuals from the manga, the clapping/shower/rain sfx. The option to take the exit as the right way out versus the darker difficult coridoor. The two candles with one being sniffed out when Geto makes his decision. The incredible line work of the animation to show either Geto's anger or his depression. So much to praise and JJK's production continues to kill it.

Only criticism is that the shift to breaking character models abstractly for moe comedic purposes just does not work and feels more excessively used here, and not in a good way. The more I see this new season do that, the more I agree that Chainsaw-Man's director was absolutely right to forego that, and I hope that is maintained for the next season. It straight up sucks most of the time in JJK with a few sparing exceptions that do work in the right context.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2023 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
Sorry, his choice was not believable for me, it needed more work, the corruption was just a sugerence to do it so fast.

Just as the reviewer says: it mostly works but feels rushed.

You seem to be forgetting that he was dwelling on this, basically alone, for a year? Just because it didn't work for you doesn't mean it didn't work for everyone else.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 58