• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Discotek Adds Digimon Season 2, Overman King Gainer, Lady Georgie, More

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:44 am Reply with quote
Kiiiiiiing Gainer! Everybody do the Monkey! Laughing
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:47 am Reply with quote
I'm excited Digimon Adventure 02 is finally coming out subbed and the dub is getting a nicer release. Of the other Discotek titles I'm most interested in King Gainer, Tachigui, Lady Georgie, Street Fighter II, and Cybersix.
QueenGainer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 1:58 am Reply with quote
YEEEEESSSSSSS!!!
I've been waiting on a KingGainer re-release for 15 years now!!
One of my favorites (can you tell from my username?).
bagman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 3:11 am Reply with quote
Wonder if they got the full cybersix theme song, apparently it exists
VampireNaomi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 5:23 am Reply with quote
Lady Georgie! That's the kind of license I've been dreaming of, exactly the flavour of old shoujo I like. I've already seen it, but I'll be more than happy to replace my German DVDs with this. I hope it sells enough that it won't be a pipe dream to hope that more series along these lines will get released.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 6:48 am Reply with quote
VampireNaomi wrote:
Lady Georgie! That's the kind of license I've been dreaming of, exactly the flavour of old shoujo I like. I've already seen it, but I'll be more than happy to replace my German DVDs with this. I hope it sells enough that it won't be a pipe dream to hope that more series along these lines will get released.

I remember watching it on German satellite TV back when I still lived in Sweden. A lot of old anime series aired there, no idea if they still do. Of those I watched, most of them have gotten English releases in some form or other since then, official or unofficial, with Georgie now being released Robin Hood might be the only one left I'm still waiting for...
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:05 am Reply with quote
VampireNaomi wrote:

I’ve never seen it myself but it sounds really interesting. May blind but it.

Lately I am way more interested in watching Classic anime than anything new.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 7:53 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
I’ve never seen it myself but it sounds really interesting. May blind but it.

Lately I am way more interested in watching Classic anime than anything new.

I read the Italian edition of the manga years ago, and it's haunted me ever since. Definitely worth it if you like classic shoujo!
Pantha

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:05 am Reply with quote
Lady Georgie!! YES!!! I saw half of it many years ago, but never saw the entire show. I’ve hunted for years for a box set on yesasia, but I never managed to pull the plug even when I found it. I’m glad I waited! This is a day one purchase/pre-order for me.

I hope other classic shoujo are licensed. Like Candy Candy! I have hope as Aim For the Ace is on my shelf right now. I’ll continue to keep my fingers crossed.
VampireNaomi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:55 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
I remember watching it on German satellite TV back when I still lived in Sweden. A lot of old anime series aired there, no idea if they still do. Of those I watched, most of them have gotten English releases in some form or other since then, official or unofficial, with Georgie now being released Robin Hood might be the only one left I'm still waiting for...

I used to collect German dub DVDs of older anime back when I was practising the language and they have so many series I'd love to see get a proper blu-ray in the English-language market, especially the various World Masterpiece Theater series. Robin Hood would indeed be great, but a personal favourite of mine along those lines is Kaiketsu Zorro. I think it even has a terrible English dub that could be included for laughs.

I hope something like Hello, Sandybell might have a chance, too. I have the Finnish DVD set that came out years ago, but man, it looks bad. It's such a feel good series with a lot of nostalgia for me.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 9:45 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
Is that what happened? Sounds plausible, but I'd never heard this before. Did someone at Sentai say this?

It doesn't seem plausible to me. After all, Funimation (eventually) released 100% of the Sunrise titles that they picked up around the same time. My speculation is that while Funi got the cream of the crop (Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Escaflowne, My-Hime/Otome, Code Geass), Sentai got the dregs; other than Scryed, most of their other titles were not particularly well-known or acclaimed. Maybe they just didn't feel like going through the effort for a lot of old titles they felt wouldn't sell very well. As for materials, I don't know that Bandai USA would've been a factor; stuff like that generally reverts to the Japanese owners after the original licenses expire. There was talk of Sunrise being slow to give out materials, but it seems odd that one company got everything they needed and the other got virtually nothing,
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:55 am Reply with quote
No love for Fast food grifters? I've been wanting to see that for years, even if Oshii's live-action films are, at best, a mixed bag (plus Avalon).

Now do Twilight Q, please.
OtomeGay

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:06 am Reply with quote
Super excited for Lady Georgie!! We don't get a lot of classic shojo in English, and I'm hoping this'll do well enough to show there is an audience for it!
Rosiero

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 11:12 am Reply with quote
I'm absolutely buying Lady Georgie the first chance I get. Hopefully the sales will be encouraging enough for Discotek to license more like it!
Ann Rule

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2023 12:23 pm Reply with quote
So happy for Lady Georgie!
The Candy Candy creators hate each other right? I assume it is why we won't get it.

How about Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne, Honey Honey's Wonderful Adventure, Tokimeki Tonight.....what other ones?

I wonder if they'll ever release Dear Brother manga. Is Riyoko mean? I've heard she is a lot to handle.

I remember Discotek said that DB was limited time release. I wonder how long they have it til?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4