• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: AnimEigo to Launch Kickstarter Campaign for Macross II Anime Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greboruri

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 12:59 am Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Yeah, the general consensus is that Toho has some international rights to DYRL, which was part of the reason why it even had those two dubbed VHS released by non-anime companies during the late 80s/early 90s; Toho licensed it out in those cases, not Big West or Harmony Gold.

And you have Kiseki Films in the UK releasing both the English dub and subtitled version of the film in 1995 or so, with the copyright being Toho International Co Ltd and not Big West. Interestingly the back of my tape says "Licenced by LA Hero". No idea if this was an accident/typo, perhaps so as Macross II was originally licenced by them back in the 1990's and Kiseki released that title too in the UK on VHS.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 2:42 pm Reply with quote
MadOverlord wrote:

It doesn't need to be kickstarted. We use kickstarter because it provides us with the ability to spend more on preproduction because we are selling direct to consumer rather than wholesale. This provides the budget for more special features, collecting and preserving more source materials, and so on.

The historical preservation aspect of our limited-edition releases (including the oral history aspects of the extra commentary tracks) is something that has become increasingly important to me over the years.

Best, R

Makes sense, thanks for the info. Looking forward to seeing the page go up Smile
vanfanel

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:12 pm Reply with quote
This is great news. While it's true I have some issues with the ending of MII, there's also quite a lot I like about it. Great designs, good story for the most part, the soundtrack is fantastic, and I can watch that OP over and over. As someone who is not a fan of where the franchise has gone under Kawamori's supervision, this one's looking better with each passing year.

I've had the Manga DVD forever, but yes, I think I'd replace it for a BD -- especially one that's been given the AnimEigo treatment.

Incidentally, if you want to see a big inspiration for both this and "Gundam Unicorn," check out the Audrey Hepburn movie, "Roman Holiday."
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3