• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Shonen Jump+ Editors Co-Develop AI Tool For Manga Writing

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Artemis X

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Just when I thought hand created "art" has went by the wayside seeing as how everything is automated on computers now in the anime industry, this happens. How far have we truly fallen, my god. The era of individual talent is going to be dead at this rate.
Suxinn

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 12:55 am Reply with quote
As someone who is also very bad at coming up with names on the fly, I do understand the draw of a tool to provide some help in that area, but... why does it need to be AI? Name generation tools have been around for decades, and they've worked perfectly fine without need for AI generation. It'd be one thing if AI was able to generate more output, but since they just scrape the internet and then spit out a "common" answer (rather than necessarily a good one), I'm genuinely not sure if it'd be any better.

All these AI tools honestly remind me a bit of the NFT fad, where people keep trying to push NFTs onto systems that have worked perfectly fine (maybe even better) before NFTs were a thing. I'm not someone who thinks "we absolutely shouldn't use AI ever", and I do actually think the technology could be used in interesting ways in the future, but this... really isn't it.
nemuyoake

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 2:12 am Reply with quote
CelestialEmpress wrote:
Why is this necessary? Why did they need to create an AI program to figure out how to fit the words into the bubbles? Presumably a real live human still has to babysit whatever's generated and make sure it comes out coherent, so why add an entirely superfluous AI middleman when they could just be paying that babysitter to format the text? If it spits out something that's trash do they just keep feeding it back to the program indefinitely until it finally shits out something passable, or is there a point where they just give up and have an actual person do it?

I can answer. They mean "rewording a sentence". Keeping the same meaning in Japanese but with less words. Readers don't like to read a lot of long sentences, so mangaka have to be aware of that. You can find examples in Japanese on the Internet.
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 2:16 am Reply with quote
It's amusing how everyone grumbling and complaining about this are acting like it's somehow going to impact them personally. It's not. It has NOTHING to do with you and will never impact the experience you get from it. Hell, if they implemented this and never bothered to announce it no one would've been any wiser.

If they use it as a TOOL to SUPPLEMENT work that's one thing. Sometimes it can steer someone down the right path for creative thinking and get the juices flowing as they say. I've certainly used AI to assist in writing and proofing HTML code. Is that bad? No.

Granted, this isn't like the AI generated art. That I'm 100% against. However, just like most of us use a calculator to help us with math, if you don't solely rely on it, it can be a great tool.
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 6:16 am Reply with quote
My takeaway from this is that Shueisha have devised a tool using AI to help with fitting speech into word balloons. I like to imagine that writing is less intimidating than illustrating manga. This is probably (emphasis on probably) going to help mangakas who draw as well as write to help take the pressure off of them when handling a weekly, bi-weekly schedule, since most of Shonen Jump+'s titles are published in that manner.

That said I am not a fan of AI, nor am I an avid hater of it. There's good and bad sides to it. The good, that it could take away tedious tasks away from us. The bad, well, automation (thanks to corporations) could lead to people losing their jobs, put some industries out of business, and also stealing artwork (unless it's art from the public domain or art that an artist has given permission for their art to be interpreted anyhow (I imagine this to be very unlikely)). That Scamboli Reviews video on Mother's Basement's critique on Corridor Digital's anime-style video though had some great points on AI art. AI has also gotten better to the point that the "hands thing" is phasing out.

Also, Art Twitter is so deranged and unhinged, a rando could just post AI art to show their friends and then Art Twitter would sniff it out and post memes bullying the guy to pick up a pencil to draw. This is such a South Park scenario.

EDIT: I just saw David Jaffe post AI art of Zelda, critiquing the Tears of the Kingdom's artwork. What is wrong with that guy?! Argh.
CJ Kenji

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 10:41 pm Reply with quote
I can't blame Artists for feeling that way seeing something you create with hard work and dedication only for it to be done by a machine with stolen work no less. Also Twitter is their main hub for business and commissions to you know get paid and try to make a living. I watched Scamboli's video and do agree with some points, but aside from AI art we have deepfakes, job replacements and other issues regarding AI. I'm trying to see the positives of this don't get me wrong but so far it's just been a mess. But that's what humans get for [expletive] around and finding out we have quite the history when it comes that.

As for Shueisha doing this, I think AI is fine for the small stuff but if your ass can't do dialogue and you need an AI to do it for you, hire a god damn writer. Yusuke Muruta of OPM fame does this all the time because he sucks at writing. I have a feeling when AI progresses further companies will try to shove down the throats of their creatives to make the work flow faster. Which is quite wrong but rather them treating their creators like actual people with a decent living wage, they rather take the easy approach as with all companies.
oilers2007

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 1:02 am Reply with quote
Let the market decide. If it works good, its good. If it turns out bad, it's bad.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 2:56 am Reply with quote
Shonen Jump using AI to edit speech bubbles is weird to me because do mangaka not have editors who proofread their material and offer suggestions before publication?
nemuyoake

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 6:55 am Reply with quote
I think they want to use AI to help mangaka who are good at drawing but not so good at devising plots/concepts/structure etc. Editors will always choose a mangaka good at drawing over a good manga scenarist who can't draw (and try to pair him with a mangaka) to make him do his debut because they prefer having to interact with only one person instead of two.

There is the problem of the nemu (paneling etc.) too. AIs can't do that yet (?).
Kitsu Kyouno

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 9:01 am Reply with quote
What is different about using this tool than using ChatpGPT directly?
oogenesis

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Sakurafire_ wrote:
This is exactly what I was trying to get at earlier. There's a lot of AI enthusiasts out there who are generally uncreative people that want this crap to take over creative spaces. They will keep pushing the envelope until they don't have to pay real people and all we're left to consume is garbage (because let's be honest, it's all going to be middling at best).

<snip>

Take a look at what Buzzfeed is doing. A few months ago they said that they would only use AI for editing purposes, and just today the CEO said that the future of AI at Buzzfeed is to write and curate articles for people, completely removing the human element, as his company "reorganizes" their staffing (re: fires all those pesky writers who keep demanding a living wage).

i agree.

has anyone -- especially the hardcore AI enthusiasts who aren't creatives themselves -- read those AI-generated articles? i smell a lot of denial about the absolute uselessness of what these tools shit out. this pair at futurism magazine did an analysis of buzzfeed's recent content after they jettisoned their award-winning news staff and division. it went about as well as i would expect... seeing as how AI draws from existing clickbaity 'popular' text to produce copypasta...

sadly, i think the overexcited companies hoping to cut labor costs with AI are going to have to learn the hard way, just as they did with outsourcing. all these 'labor-saving' 'innovations' do is increase costs in the long run.
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Shonen Jump using AI to edit speech bubbles is weird to me because do mangaka not have editors who proofread their material and offer suggestions before publication?

They do, but that's kind of the reason this tool is being pitched. The idea is that you can type the proposed text into the interface, ask it to reword to fit into a proposed character limit, and see what it comes up with. If the tool (which, from the article description is just ChatGPT with some extra bells and whistles up front) were to work as promised and deliver coherent sentences, that could theoretically clear up time that might otherwise be spent laboring over a handful of lines during production. I can get why, on a purely hypothetical level where the tool works as advertised, this would be an appealing addition to a creator's or editor's toolbox.

I imagine the character/title generation would work similarly. Type in a description of the events in a given chapter, or a description of a character, and see what the program suggests. Speaking as a writer who isn't very good at picking names, having a tool that could suggest possibilities would honestly be a lot of help compared to scouring Baby Name websites.

Unfortunately, ChatGPT and other "AI" programs aren't nearly as functional as their creators want you to believe, and probably wouldn't wind up saving time or offering. The other issue is that, despite these programs not working, there are always executives eager to cut overhead. Thus instead of this becoming an optional tool in the creative process, it gets turned into a replacement for an editor - or more likely, a middleman that an editor-in-all-but-name then has to doctor.

nemuyoake wrote:
I think they want to use AI to help mangaka who are good at drawing but not so good at devising plots/concepts/structure etc..

Even in this proposal this isn't saying anything about the program generating story ideas or structuring the narrative. It's literally just coming up with names, chapter titles, and lightly editing lines of dialogue.
nemuyoake

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2023 6:25 pm Reply with quote
No, I read the description in Japanese and it can do plots too, with ideas and structure.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2