• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Fantasy XVI Game Banned in Saudi Arabia

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
funkfoot

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 4:19 pm Reply with quote
spacedin wrote:
Can some context be provided here? I haven't the foggiest idea what is being referenced but the idea of a country with an authoritarian regime with a population of 36 million and no influence beyond petrol having any impact in global media seems both strange and fascinating. Yes, they are an investor but not exclusively or even disproportionately in Japanese media and not even to the extent that a lot of other countries are, such as China until very recently.

Every thread that involves Saudi Arabia on this site seems to get the attention of people who think it's the worst thing in the world and Japanese video games and anime are doomed because of it. Other see it as a positive since every example we've seen so far has been a net positive overall like SNK coming back from bankruptcy and putting out more games now than they've done for the past few decades. I guess they're one of the people who think it's a bad thing and this ban is being used as proof of that claim, although I don't think FFXVI had any investment or input from Saudi Arabia so I don't think it's related in this case.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 7:01 pm Reply with quote
funkfoot wrote:
Other see it as a positive since every example we've seen so far has been a net positive overall like SNK coming back from bankruptcy and putting out more games now than they've done for the past few decades.

?

SNK put out more games in the entirety of the 1990’s than they’ve done since Saudi Arabia bought a stake in the company. Hell I would argue after they became SNK Playmore their content output was higher,
spacedin

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 7:04 pm Reply with quote
funkfoot wrote:
Every thread that involves Saudi Arabia on this site seems to get the attention of people who think it's the worst thing in the world and Japanese video games and anime are doomed because of it. Other see it as a positive since every example we've seen so far has been a net positive overall like SNK coming back from bankruptcy and putting out more games now than they've done for the past few decades. I guess they're one of the people who think it's a bad thing and this ban is being used as proof of that claim, although I don't think FFXVI had any investment or input from Saudi Arabia so I don't think it's related in this case.

I have seen some chatter on "Saudi Arabia will keep it from going woke" but coming from the usual places where strange ideas are bandied about all the time. So I am not accusing
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
I want to hear from each and every single one of y'all who was talking like MBS was going to save anime and video games from the woke mob.
of making this up from whole cloth. But ANN isn't 8-chan. It is a site whose reviewers and commenters have been overwhelmingly and proudly progressive for years. Pinning your hopes on a petro dictator to save anime and video games is Tucker Carlson fan level stuff, so I can't imagine that any of his fans even participate on ANN for that comment to be directed at. But maybe I am wrong.

As to your point, a huge gap exists between "Saudi Arabian investments in private Japanese media companies will help the anime and video game industry financially" and "the Saudi Arabian dictator will influence Japanese media to make works that appeal to right wing westerners." Because ... MBS doesn't like right wing westerners either. His shaking hands the other day with Iran and China should make that clear. I know, the Tucker Carlson fans on 8-chan may not know this. It is just that I believed that ANN commenters did.
spacedin

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 7:14 pm Reply with quote
BadNewsBlues wrote:
funkfoot wrote:
Other see it as a positive since every example we've seen so far has been a net positive overall like SNK coming back from bankruptcy and putting out more games now than they've done for the past few decades.

?

SNK put out more games in the entirety of the 1990’s than they’ve done since Saudi Arabia bought a stake in the company. Hell I would argue after they became SNK Playmore their content output was higher,

While you are not wrong factually - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_SNK_games - I believe that the commenter was trying to get across thanks to Saudi Arabian investment "SNK is still with us and making money instead of declaring bankruptcy for the third or fourth time, ceasing to exist and having to sell off its IP to Tencent who would use it to make mobile gacha games" and that is probably true AND represents a better outcome.
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2023 9:37 pm Reply with quote
ViviP wrote:
TokimekiCrisis wrote:
Part of localization is understanding that sometimes things need to be changed to fit the new target audience or a different country's moral and cultural standards. It's a natural part of the process. At least that's what translators here say when people complain about changes made in English versions, but I'm assuming it applies to other countries as well.

Localisation for me, censorship for thee.

What strikes me as odd is how the article truncates the ESRB summary. All the descriptions of violence are reduced to one word points, whilst the description of sexual content is partially quoted giving it a much larger impact than it has when reading the ESRB summary.
Inserting such a selectively summarised piece of information between two other paragraphs which describe the harsh standards of Saudi Arabia's Ministry of Media seems to me, to be a deliberate attempt to lead readers into associating two seperate pieces of information together and drawing the ‘correct’ conclusions. Or at the very least fuelling the hatred of those who already have strong bias.

Overall I’m pretty disappointed and kind of feel like my (and everybody else’s) intelligence has been insulted, and I hope to see a higher standard in the future.

edit:
Unless I’m completely mistaken and there is some innocent reason for this editing decision, in which case I would really appreciate it if someone should take the time to explain it to me.

Past precedent. Compare the reasons cited for previously banned games:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_banned_video_games_by_country#Saudi_Arabia
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 1:11 pm Reply with quote
spacedin wrote:
and having to sell off its IP to Tencent who would use it to make mobile gacha games" and that is probably true AND represents a better outcome.

But King Of Fighters All Stars is a mobile gacha game. Not to mention Tencent wound up making a mobile KOF game anyway.
Rentwo

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 1:45 pm Reply with quote
spacedin wrote:
As to your point, a huge gap exists between "Saudi Arabian investments in private Japanese media companies will help the anime and video game industry financially" and "the Saudi Arabian dictator will influence Japanese media to make works that appeal to right wing westerners." Because ... MBS doesn't like right wing westerners either. His shaking hands the other day with Iran and China should make that clear. I know, the Tucker Carlson fans on 8-chan may not know this. It is just that I believed that ANN commenters did.

I don't think people mean literal right-wing politics or politicians being catered to, just conservative values and themes which Saudi Arabia would fall under the umbrella for. But I would also disagree with that just because Japan doesn't need any help being right-wing. They already have lots of conservative beliefs both in their government and their media. . Final Fantasy XVI was the same game that gaming outlets got upset over because the director said he had no interest in focusing on diversity and dismissed people's criticisms of his comments about the issue. Japanese culture, media, and people are already criticized in online leftist spaces for their right-leaning themes and beliefs.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2023 2:15 pm Reply with quote
spacedin wrote:
funkfoot wrote:

I have seen some chatter on "Saudi Arabia will keep it from going woke" but coming from the usual places where strange ideas are bandied about all the time. So I am not accusing
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
I want to hear from each and every single one of y'all who was talking like MBS was going to save anime and video games from the woke mob.
of making this up from whole cloth. But ANN isn't 8-chan. It is a site whose reviewers and commenters have been overwhelmingly and proudly progressive for years. Pinning your hopes on a petro dictator to save anime and video games is Tucker Carlson fan level stuff, so I can't imagine that any of his fans even participate on ANN for that comment to be directed at. But maybe I am wrong.

There's a good number of commenters here who believe exactly that; look at any thread about Saudi investments into anime and gaming and you'll turn up a number of people expressing the sentiment that this is good news because they won't bow to the woke mob. There's even someone saying that the Saudis "love sexy ladies," because as we all know, they don't make any societal demands on women to cover themselves up or anything.

I'm addressing the cognitive dissonance between that/calling localization "censorship" and the Saudis outright banning a game when Square Enix declined to censor something out.
@ASAnime6

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Saudi Arabia allowed LGBTQ visitors on same day this news was posted
https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/saudi-arabia-lgbt-tourists/index.html
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3