• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Crunchyroll 2023 Anime Awards Announces Presenters

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tasknillusion

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:19 pm Reply with quote
l.

Last edited by Tasknillusion on Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eternal Dragon Of ChaOZ

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I lost complete interest in crunchyroll after their disastrous and embarrassing 1st awards show.
They really should have quit back then.
クズオタク

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:10 am Reply with quote
medicinodestiny wrote:
クズオタク wrote:
but from reading these comments people less familiar with sports are not gonna like this.

I don't know a single thing about sports or American shows. I'm pretty much just a weeb.

Are you saying you disagree with me or are you affirming that people would be confused on why crunchyroll chose them? I don't really get your comment, my bad.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Cleaned up thread. Don't get personal. And mind your language.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Tasknillusion wrote:

Ermmm... I'm not gatekeeping. There's legitimacy in saying someone liking a really popular anime like Dragonball doesn't necessarily mean they're a fan of anime.

No, you are gatekeeping. There is no rulebook on what obscure shows you must like to be a "real" fan just like there aren't any rules about which games you have to be good at to be a "gamer."

What this really boils down to is people get uncomfortable when they see that famous, successful people are into the hobby they've built their entire identity around, and further when they think that identity makes them special when they otherwise feel insecure about their lack of accomplishments.

Enjoying certain cartoons doesn't make anyone special and there is no secret club of real fans. Anime is mainstream entertainment now and it's honestly weird to be uncomfortable that people who are good at sports (i.e. people perceived as 'jocks' and holding a higher space on the 'social ladder') are also fans of shonen anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tasknillusion

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:57 pm Reply with quote
l.

Last edited by Tasknillusion on Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
kaoru99

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:30 pm Reply with quote
I'd never say someone is "not an anime fan" for only liking 1 or 2 shows, but we should at least be able to acknowledge there's still cliques and layers when it comes to fandoms. I don't see anything wrong pointing out how something like the ever growing attitude of trying to co-opt a fandom or show itself is fairly problematic. The kind of people post under a Twitter account like Dragon Ball Perfect Shots telling them to post the American dub version because the Japanese version is "mid" and expect people who don't even live in America to default to the American dub of an anime. Or the general attitude of how some shows are the only good anime in existence. The amount of times I've seen "DBZ doesn't count as anime" from people who otherwise hold contempt for the medium is quite often and we should be able to call it out.

Then again it's very rare to see anything beyond surface level shonen series get recognized at the Crunchyroll Awards to begin with so it's difficult to say it's not the culture they themselves have cultivated. Shows that don't fit a certain mold tend to get shut out regardless of the fact if they were the most popular series of the year. This guest list along with the fact they removed some categories like "best girl" and "best boy" does make it seem like they want to go super mainstream. It's hard not to see it as at least some form of embarrassment of being an anime fan or trying to sanitize it. I would not be surprised in the slightest if something like Onimai is not recognized for it's top-tier animation at next years awards despite the universal praise it's been getting in the animation community because it's not safe enough for the mainstream. People are free to enjoy this guest list and see it as a good thing anime is more mainstream now, but I hope they can also understand why people get a bit upset when they see objectively popular shows like Bocchi the Rock get shut out for not fitting the very narrow and accepted mainstream view of what anime should be. And as someone who's has his sexuality questioned for merely liking shows like Bocchi and Love Live, I think any attempt at raiding awareness about what can happen to a fandom as things become more mainstream is a valid one.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Tasknillusion wrote:

I sincerely hope many of you are taking a real stand when someone is actually discriminated against in REAL LIFE because I really can't wrap my head around all the discourse on a couple posts from an account I barely go on.

I have organized vigils and protest events for marginalized people, not that it's actually relevant to this discussion and generally I think whipping out proof of that sort of thing is poor taste.

I will agree with you that I think it would be nice to see more focus on people who create anime presenting at these awards. However, since this is the first time the Anime Awards has been held in Japan, I doubt there was an opportunity prior and if this event is successful, it's possible will see more of that in the future.

kaoru99 wrote:

I hope they can also understand why people get a bit upset when they see objectively popular shows like Bocchi the Rock get shut out for not fitting the very narrow and accepted mainstream view of what anime should be.

Bocchi isn't included in the awards this year for the same reason as Chainsaw Man; the Fall 2022 season runs past the cut-off. Whether we should agree with that or not is worth discussing, though.

Nothing is going to happen to fandom if more people like it other than it might feel "less exclusive" which I touched on in my earlier post. Also the idea that a fandom can be 'co-opted' is questionable in itself. Certainly, there's a cynical perspective that a company could try to imitate it or reference as a marketing attempt, but I side-eye extending that to "this Black athlete claims to be in with us because he watched Naruto! I dunno guys!" These people are already famous and they're not going to gain a bigger million dollar contract for admitting to liking DBZ. They just like it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
oilers2007

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:26 pm Reply with quote
People already said it, but this really does just seems like a marketing move to make their awards seem more legitimate like with Geoff Keighley inviting movie celebrities to talk about video games they obviously don't care about.

I see some people love the idea of anime finally being accepted in the mainstream, which means their hobby is finally valid and people will stop being made fun of for liking anime, but some celebrity endorsements aren't really going to do that. They tried that with comic books and people still hate them. Samuel L Jackson and Brie Larson can hold up some Avengers comic and say how much they love it to promote Endgame and people still don't read or care about comics, at least superhero ones. Finn Wolfhard saying he watched Chainsaw Man one time isn't going to stop you from getting called a weeb or being side-eyed for having an anime girl on your phone case. There was a viral tweet from ProZD the other day shaming people using the original Japanese names for anime over localized American dub names. Like, you think when fellow nerds bully and gatekeep anime amongst themselves that normal people or celebrities are going to have a higher opinion of you? Probably not... we're still getting made fun of eitherway.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 6:36 pm Reply with quote
oilers2007 wrote:
means their hobby is finally valid and people will stop being made fun of for liking anime...normal people or celebrities are going to have a higher opinion of you? Probably not... we're still getting made fun of eitherway.

Is this regional? Kids are not being made fun of for liking anime anymore, at least in my experience interacting with kids in my area pretty regularly. Anime t-shirts are a pretty normal part of teen wardrobes nowadays, both in school and at my local mall. I've talked with a number of teachers (quite a few of ANN freelancers are also educators) and say its the same for them and they live in different regions than me. James has talked about it on our podcast a few times.

Also what are normal people in this context? Liking anime isn't abnormal. This reads more like leftover persecution complex from the early aughts.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:45 pm Reply with quote
It seems a few people here realize the purpose of presenters in a show is to attract the attention and viewership of some demographic to said show based on their particular popular celebrity when it is less likely to receive it otherwise. So the question yet unanswered is "who are the people these presenters are supposed to attract to an anime award show?". I couldn't say but NFL players seem would attract football fans and WWE "star" would attract (?). An actor and a few other randos are less than obvious who they attract but I see little commonality other than they are likely to be popular outside anime as some have pointed out. And for the other side, are any of these "celebrities" popular enough in Japan to attract non-anime fan viewership there?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 11:03 pm Reply with quote
There's a 30-min PBS episode where Evan Smith interviews Robert Rodriguez about Alita: Battle Angel and how it got made in Austin, Texas instead of Hollywood

oilers2007 wrote:

People already said it, but this really does just seems like a marketing move to make their awards seem more legitimate like with Geoff Keighley inviting movie celebrities to talk about video games they obviously don't care about.

Except some of the presenters are openly fans of anime.

Extra TV:
Quote:
Juju explained in a statement, “I have been a huge anime fan since I was a kid. It has been a part of my whole life, till this day, it has helped me so much. I’m an NFL athlete and I get to represent this anime world. So for me to present an Anime Award to some of the greatest shows in the world, it's the best.”

Rodriguez added, “I love anime, it’s an art form that has always inspired me. For the creators, it’s unbound creativity and freedom of expression, where they can make truly iconic, creative worlds and characters. Anime is a crucible for new ideas and fresh perspectives in entertainment. So I’m very excited to help celebrate the grand winners being honored at the Crunchyroll Anime Awards in Japan.”

Ex:

In fact, he did it so much, it's included in the Madden NFL video game:

So, if they make fun of you, they're making fun of some of the more successful professionals in their careers.
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:57 am Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
It seems a few people here realize the purpose of presenters in a show is to attract the attention and viewership of some demographic to said show based on their particular popular celebrity when it is less likely to receive it otherwise. So the question yet unanswered is "who are the people these presenters are supposed to attract to an anime award show?". I couldn't say but NFL players seem would attract football fans and WWE "star" would attract (?). An actor and a few other randos are less than obvious who they attract but I see little commonality other than they are likely to be popular outside anime as some have pointed out. And for the other side, are any of these "celebrities" popular enough in Japan to attract non-anime fan viewership there?

To answer both of your questions, youths, primarily "old" Gen Z to "young" millennials as of this timeline. Finn Wolfhard stars in Stranger Things which has been one of Netflix's biggest properties since it began, so much so that it's getting its own "anime" series. Finn himself is an anime fan according to a Wired interview with Guillermo del Toro and his brother Nick is an anime voice actor. Jacob Bertrand stars in Cobra Kai, which is a tv series spin-off of the Karate Kid franchise that featured the late Pat Morita. Hunter Schafer stars in Euphoria, one of HBO's most popular shows, and she had a role in the English dub of the Mamoru Hosoda film Belle. Robert Rodriguez for people who liked Alita: Battle Angel and still have nostalgia for Spy Kids etc.

Edit: I just found out that Sykkuno and Valkyrae had cameo roles in the English dub of Tribe Nine last year.

Last edited by DamianSalazar on Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:31 am; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:11 am Reply with quote
You'd be surprised what jocks today watch. Or maybe not that surprising anymore?

The Washington Post: "A love for ‘Dragon Ball Z’ has infiltrated NFL locker rooms"

Quote:

Six months later, Fells signed with the Houston Texans as a free agent. He moved to a new city, learned a new playbook and bonded with new coaches. But one constant remained from Cleveland: He found teammates obsessed with “Dragon Ball Z.”

Devotees of “Dragon Ball Z,” an animated television series that first aired in Japan in 1989, have infiltrated locker rooms across all sports over the past decade, but the subculture is strongest in the NFL. The show began airing in the United States in 1996, meaning many players who have recently entered the league grew up with it.

Goku and Vegeta are members of a race called Saiyan, which villains discriminated against, and later nearly annihilated, because they feared its members’ potential as fighters. As a Black man growing up in a country where the majority of superheroes are white, Butler said he admired the Saiyans.

Myles Garrett is one of NFL's best players

ANN_Lynzee wrote:

Is this regional? Kids are not being made fun of for liking anime anymore, at least in my experience interacting with kids in my area pretty regularly. Anime t-shirts are a pretty normal part of teen wardrobes nowadays, both in school and at my local mall. I've talked with a number of teachers (quite a few of ANN freelancers are also educators) and say its the same for them and they live in different regions than me. James has talked about it on our podcast a few times.

From Reddit:

Especially in urban areas
Los Nido

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:56 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
So, if they make fun of you, they're making fun of some of the more successful professionals in their careers.

I'm not sure I agree with that logic. Liking shows like Dragonball Z or Cowboy Bebop is it's own thing entirely. They're some of the few shows that even back in the day were considered cool and okay to watch. And even they still come with the baggage of you're expected to watch the English dubs of them.

Video games are also mainstream now, but you still see the comments even from professional reviewers who say JRPGs like Fire Emblem and Xenoblade are just "weeb trash". The fact weeb in general is a commonly used insult should tell you that there's still a lot of animosity towards certain aesthetics and genres. It's unlikely the mainstream audience who play games like God of War or Last of Us are going to really go to bat and defend your choice of game just because we're all gamers. Even the people who claim to be big Nintendo fans view those two franchises with particular disdain and hatred every time they pop up on the Nintendo Direct or when they would announce a new anime sword fighter for Smash.

I can only speak for myself, but no one at my work knows or cares about anime. I'm in my late 20s and work in a sales office for a pharmaceutical company. Most people here are either my age or older. The one girl here who is younger than me I've only heard mention watching American live-action shows on stuff like HBO Max and Netflix. I don't think she's interested in anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3