• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Apothecary Diaries Novels About Palace Intrigue Get 2023 TV Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:30 am Reply with quote
Am current on the English release of the manga, and based on that, I'm not at all surprised that it's getting adapted. The trailer looks incredible, so this is definitely now one of my most-anticipated titles for the rest of the year.

Some have compared it to Ascendance of a Bookworm, but I would argue that it far more resembles Raven of the Inner Palace, especially with its more mystery-oriented (albeit in a non-supernatural sense) approach. MaoMao is a real character, and I suspect she will quickly garner a legion of new fans from the anime. (To give those who haven't read the novels or manga an idea, when she smiles after tasting something at the beginning of the clip, she's saying "it's poisoned.")
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fluwm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:28 am Reply with quote
The comparison is to Bookworm is more down to character approach and overall structure -- episodic format, lots of depth to the secondary and tertiary cast, etc. The protagonists also have a lot in common -- just substitute Myne's deeply unhealthy hyperfixation on books with Maomao's deeply unhealthy hyperfixation on poisons.

It definitely has a lot of commonalities with Raven, but for me, personally, at least -- what really gets me invested in these stories is the lives of the secondary cast. I really want to see what happens to them, I'm excited when they triumph, saddened when they fail, etc. That rich cast of characters is the main draw to me w/ Bookworm and Apothcary, but not something I really get out of Raven.

Which is why I'm (somewhat) concerned about how many novels this anime will adapt. If they try to cover too much, they're gonna have to make cuts, and the first things that'll be cut are gonna be the "nonessential" scenes with the consorts and handmaidens who are seldom (if ever) important to the main plots.

I will say, though, that Raven's anime adaptation was excellent and I really hope Apothecary manages to be just as good (or better).

RenimLS wrote:
Fluwm wrote:
This is a series that could live or die by how much they intend to adapt. Hopefully they limit themselves to two books per cour, because they'd really have to gut the thing to cram it into the typical 3:1 (or, god forbid, much worse 4:1) ratio.

Given what I recognize in the trailer, looks like it will cover to end of volume 2 of the Light Novel at least. Surprised by how much they choose to include in the trailer.

So far the trailer is making me hopeful they'll do well for the series. Here is hoping for the best, I'm really quite fond of this series.

Hopefully that means there won't be any big delays, as that seems to be happening... not infrequently, lately. 'Course, the first two or three volumes are pretty episodic, so they could just be mixing up some of the sequences a bit.
ab2143

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:38 am Reply with quote
FINALLY!!! Big fan of the light novels. Not read the manga yet
Cho_Desu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:22 am Reply with quote
Apothecary Diaries is a great read, and definitely a breath of fresh air for light novels.

The manga is also very good, and is an instance where an adaptation gives the story its own distinct feel, making both takes worth checking out if you're a fan of one or the other. Will be interesting to see if the anime leans more toward the LN or the manga, or takes a third distinct path.
Jenog

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:38 am Reply with quote
I thought "The Raven of the Inner Palace" was a kind of warm-up, just to test whether this theme (ancient China, consorts, etc.) had any chance of success.
I just hope they don't try to adapt too many books into too few episodes... This is a series whose pace is slow and that needs it to be fully enjoyed.
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:50 am Reply with quote
I believe this is the first project for Toho Animation Studio since they were acquired by Toho last year. That animation looks exquisite. Hopefully there won't be any delays when the anime runs.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:13 am Reply with quote
Oh nice I bought this manga on a whim and I’ve been really enjoying it.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:29 am Reply with quote
About damn time!
-Matthew-

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:55 am Reply with quote
I waited for the anime TV series announcement so long time!

Great news!
kurichan69

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:30 am Reply with quote
I can't remember how I got into the manga a couple of years ago but I love it.

Note for the comparisons to Ascendance of a Bookworm: This is not isekai and Maomao is not reborn as a child. She's mature for her age due to her background and her own really interesting personality. Someone here commented about both Myne and Maoamo having "deeply disturbing fixations" Rolling Eyes which is an odd take on someone being skilled at and passionate about something that is at the core of the story. This title can be serious but the humor is always present and often rather dark. So excited for this!
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:04 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping this adapts 4 LN volumes, I feel like that's close to an 'arc' of sorts being finished
Vs7

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:19 pm Reply with quote
kurichan69 wrote:
Someone here commented about both Myne and Maoamo having "deeply disturbing fixations" Rolling Eyes which is an odd take on someone being skilled at and passionate about something that is at the core of the story.

I adore Maomao. She's probably one of my favorite female characters but spoiler[she's obsessed with poisons to the point of self harm (testing on herself to the point of scarring, ingesting unknown poisons with no guarantee she'll survive, etc.).]

Myne's obsession may get her in trouble and is an easy spot on her to manipulate, but by itself reading books is pretty harmless.
R. Kasahara

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:55 pm Reply with quote
The manga is great (and I've heard nothing but good things about the original light novels), so I'm glad this is happening. The trailer looks good; hope the finished anime lives up to it.
Sharinganhokage

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:00 pm Reply with quote
I screamed....and then I froze for a few seconds. I LOVE THIS MANGA! It's sooo good and I'm soooo excited for the anime! Loved the manga and it drove me towards the web novel. YAY! Maomao daisuki! Guess I should go ahead and buy the light novels for the refresher.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:26 pm Reply with quote
Vs7 wrote:
kurichan69 wrote:
Someone here commented about both Myne and Maoamo having "deeply disturbing fixations" Rolling Eyes which is an odd take on someone being skilled at and passionate about something that is at the core of the story.

I adore Maomao. She's probably one of my favorite female characters but spoiler[she's obsessed with poisons to the point of self harm (testing on herself to the point of scarring, ingesting unknown poisons with no guarantee she'll survive, etc.).]

Myne's obsession may get her in trouble and is an easy spot on her to manipulate, but by itself reading books is pretty harmless.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I think Fluwm was getting at. Maomao is deeply enthusiastic about things that cause migraines for the people who have to look out for her.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3