• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Square Enix President Says Company Has 'Multiple' Blockchain Games in Development

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:18 pm Reply with quote
CrimeVsCrime wrote:

Does that include Japan? Japan never joined the bandwagon hate on crypto or NFTs. Some big sites like Skeb use crypto and stuff to commission artists and a lot of big mangaka and anime studios sell NFTs.
This was like two weeks ago animenewsnetwork.com/news/2022-12-22/pokemon-company-sues-company-advertising-pokeworld-nft-game/.193258
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Can't Yosuke Matsuda just resign in disgrace, I thought that's what people do in Japan when they F up.
smurky turkey wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
Is this actually a profitable sector? The NFT market has collapsed on itself and even cryptocurrency is in a massive recession.

Probably not, but Square wants to try everything possible to make more money.
I wonder if they would ever entertain the idea of entering the very profitable business model of making video games, or is that outside of their wheelhouse?
Fedora-san

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:56 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Can't Yosuke Matsuda just resign in disgrace, I thought that's what people do in Japan when they F up.

According to the report Iron Maw posted Square-Enix appears to be increasing in profits year after year. Why on Earth would he resign in disgrace if the company appears to be flourishing?
kaoru99

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
CrimeVsCrime wrote:

Does that include Japan? Japan never joined the bandwagon hate on crypto or NFTs. Some big sites like Skeb use crypto and stuff to commission artists and a lot of big mangaka and anime studios sell NFTs.
This was like two weeks ago animenewsnetwork.com/news/2022-12-22/pokemon-company-sues-company-advertising-pokeworld-nft-game/.193258

?? You listed an international company suing an Australian company for copyright infringement. That has nothing to do with Japan, or NFTs themselves. Replace that game with bootleg disks or t-shirts and it'd be no different. You don't see people crusade against t-shirts because you can find a bootleg Bart Simpson t-shirt in a Mexican store.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Anti-NFT people have long since become far more annoying and insufferable than the original people trying to shill them. I'm hoping these succeed just to make the anti-NFT people upset at this point.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:05 pm Reply with quote
kaoru99 wrote:

?? You listed an international company suing an Australian company for copyright infringement. That has nothing to do with Japan, or NFTs themselves. Replace that game with bootleg disks or t-shirts and it'd be no different. You don't see people crusade against t-shirts because you can find a bootleg Bart Simpson t-shirt in a Mexican store.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Anti-NFT people have long since become far more annoying and insufferable than the original people trying to shill them. I'm hoping these succeed just to make the anti-NFT people upset at this point.
The article itself cites Pokemon Company and Nintendo saying they have no interest in doing Pokemon NFTs and Nintendo has also stated before they don't know how to make NFTs bring joy to people when talking about if they plan to do them. But it's stereotyping all Japanese people as being a hive mind and making it out that no Japanese people have any individual thoughts on NFTs to proclaim all of Japan is pro-NFT because one or two major corporations are on board. Saying all Japan is pro-NFT is like the new "all anime is apolitical." Also there are people on Twitter who regularly complain about Tshirt websites stealing their fanart when you type "I want that on a shirt" on Twitter so I don't think that's a great analogy to help your case.
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 8:31 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
smurky turkey wrote:
Beatdigga wrote:
Is this actually a profitable sector? The NFT market has collapsed on itself and even cryptocurrency is in a massive recession.

Probably not, but Square wants to try everything possible to make more money.
I wonder if they would ever entertain the idea of entering the very profitable business model of making video games, or is that outside of their wheelhouse?

You mean the thing that they currently doing? Like did you miss their insane output just last year and what they have coming 2023? This isn't zinger you think it is. At least with Konami that would make some sense because SE is last company you should telling to make games unless you have been living under a rock for the last several years.

I have zero love for NFTs too but that does not mean that 1) SE not being productive gaming wise and 2) aren't making bank.

This is a dumb side-project but that all it is. SE isn't switching from making games to selling NFTs as they main business or something.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 5:08 am Reply with quote
Iron Maw wrote:
You mean the thing that they currently doing? Like did you miss their insane output just last year and what they have coming 2023? This isn't zinger you think it is. At least with Konami that would make some sense because SE is last company you should telling to make games unless you have been living under a rock for the last several years.

I have zero love for NFTs too but that does not mean that 1) SE not being productive gaming wise and 2) aren't making bank.

This is a dumb side-project but that all it is. SE isn't switching from making games to selling NFTs as they main business or something.
I am aware of everything SE is doing, I made the comment as a joke as they seem to be slowly drifting away from that. I mean what did you think they were going to do, cancel on mass tons of games they currently had in development before they got into all this nonsense, take a hit on Forspoken after spending gods know how much money on it. These types of built from the ground up AAA games are now taking longer and longer to make, you can't pivot your entire company in only a couple of years. Plus you have to take into account any agreements they might have drawn up with Sony and Nintendo.

Sure it might be a side project they get bored of and quietly drop, but I don't know that, YOU don't know that, none of us will for a few years now. Though regardless of the outcome, I can at least see them continue making traditional FF games given how big that IP is.
CrimeVsCrime

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:38 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
The article itself cites Pokemon Company and Nintendo saying they have no interest in doing Pokemon NFTs and Nintendo has also stated before they don't know how to make NFTs bring joy to people when talking about if they plan to do them. But it's stereotyping all Japanese people as being a hive mind and making it out that no Japanese people have any individual thoughts on NFTs to proclaim all of Japan is pro-NFT because one or two major corporations are on board. Saying all Japan is pro-NFT is like the new "all anime is apolitical." Also there are people on Twitter who regularly complain about Tshirt websites stealing their fanart when you type "I want that on a shirt" on Twitter so I don't think that's a great analogy to help your case.

I don't know if you're referring to my post specifically but I never said all of Japan was pro-NFT. I said Japan never jumped on the hate bandwagon for them. Like the kind of bullying and harassing you see when western artists or actors talk about selling one and they get a flood of hate comments and people threatening them to not do it including from their fellow actors and artists taking part in that deplorable behavior. I never see that kind of harassment campaign from Japanese fans when artists and creators make these announcements. You claim people here think Japanese people have no individual thoughts, but literally every time a Japanese company or artist announces a project or partnership like this you get a ton of infantizing comments about Japan is behind on the times or that they must not know what crypto or NFTs are and they require the enlightened comment section of English posters to educate them and set them on the right path.
PingSoni
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 9:23 am Reply with quote
Not interested at all.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 8:16 pm Reply with quote
CrimeVsCrime wrote:

I don't know if you're referring to my post specifically but I never said all of Japan was pro-NFT. I said Japan never jumped on the hate bandwagon for them. Like the kind of bullying and harassing you see when western artists or actors talk about selling one and they get a flood of hate comments and people threatening them to not do it including from their fellow actors and artists taking part in that deplorable behavior. I never see that kind of harassment campaign from Japanese fans when artists and creators make these announcements. You claim people here think Japanese people have no individual thoughts, but literally every time a Japanese company or artist announces a project or partnership like this you get a ton of infantizing comments about Japan is behind on the times or that they must not know what crypto or NFTs are and they require the enlightened comment section of English posters to educate them and set them on the right path.
People expressing mild disappointment with rich famous people doing an unpopular thing is not harassment and it's diluting the word to mean nothing to paint any kind of online backlash to "harassment" and then no one can never say anything critical about any famous person or corporation if any criticism = "harassment."
Allison Addams

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2023 10:09 pm Reply with quote
CrimeVsCrime wrote:

NFTs and Crypto get lots of criticism for very good reason. And you want to call it "harassment" but it's just not having much sympathy for people who are making these obviously poor financial decisions and thus duping themselves. Crypto is essentially Mary Kay for dudes.

If you fell for these scams, that's just on you. And it's actually kinda hilarious just how bad Square screwed up by selling some very profitable IPs for such cheap cost in an effort to fund their pursuit in a market that has already collapsed in on itself and isn't really improving.

Also, I don't understand making NFTs of something out of FF7 at all. Like, wow, way to miss the ENTIRE point of that game's story and message, Square.
FeelMyBlade

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 12:14 am Reply with quote
Allison Addams wrote:
And it's actually kinda hilarious just how bad Square screwed up by selling some very profitable IPs for such cheap cost in an effort to fund their pursuit in a market that has already collapsed in on itself and isn't really improving.

If you mean their western IPs then no, they weren't profitable at all. Hence why they sold them off and cut their losses from the numerous failures that were titles like the Deus Ex and Tomb Raider games. Mankind Divided and Shadow pretty much killed their respective franchises. The studio has always been pretty upfront and transparent about the disappointing sales and losses they got hit with those titles.

Quote:
Also, I don't understand making NFTs of something out of FF7 at all. Like, wow, way to miss the ENTIRE point of that game's story and message, Square.

I would think the creators would know more about that than fans on the internet. But if you're trying to go for the environmentalist angle here then I'll just point out that by the end of the game Barrett literally turns towards the camera and says Avalanche were the bad guys and what they did was wrong because people need Mako energy to live. The later stories further go into this on how Barrett made it his new goal to find a new fuel source for people to use since Shinra were the only ones who knew how to harvest mako and mankind were suffering and dying. Thankfully he and Cid discover oil and they go around propping up tons of factories and oil rigs and usher in the lovely age of fossil fuels.

But most of the internet has only played or seen the first 10 minutes of FF7 so they think it's all about blowing up a power plant and being eco-terrorists despite the game pretty much showing you the horrors of your actions not long after you complete that mission and how it was a very bad thing to do. The characters actually grow and develop over the course of the game. Everything Barrett says in the first mission of the game is dissected by the storytelling and shown to be wrong by the end of their journey and he admits as such before they go off towards their final battle.
flamemasterelan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 11:33 pm Reply with quote
FeelMyBlade wrote:
I would think the creators would know more about that than fans on the internet. But if you're trying to go for the environmentalist angle here then I'll just point out that by the end of the game Barrett literally turns towards the camera and says Avalanche were the bad guys and what they did was wrong because people need Mako energy to live.

Um, no. That's not true. Barrett realized that their methods were incorrect because blowing up reactors likely got innocent people killed in their attempt to take down Shinra. After all, hospitals, transportation, etc. all ran on Mako. Avalanche were still right about the fact that Shinra was sucking the earth of its life force, it was their methodology that was flawed.

And Avalanche was certainly not "the bad guys," in this conflict (there are no good guys), because it's established very early on that Shinra was the one who actually blew up that reactor in order to paint them more negatively. Neither side was "right," but FFVII's Midgar arc is about a small group of well-meaning activists who make extremely wrong decisions and are used as a scapegoat by a soulless corporation who are willing to massacre the poor in order to continue sucking the planet dry and continue making billions.
Allison Addams

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 2:04 am Reply with quote
FeelMyBlade wrote:

If you mean their western IPs then no, they weren't profitable at all. Hence why they sold them off and cut their losses from the numerous failures that were titles like the Deus Ex and Tomb Raider games. Mankind Divided and Shadow pretty much killed their respective franchises. The studio has always been pretty upfront and transparent about the disappointing sales and losses they got hit with those titles.

I would think the creators would know more about that than fans on the internet. But if you're trying to go for the environmentalist angle here then I'll just point out that by the end of the game Barrett literally turns towards the camera and says Avalanche were the bad guys and what they did was wrong because people need Mako energy to live. The later stories further go into this on how Barrett made it his new goal to find a new fuel source for people to use since Shinra were the only ones who knew how to harvest mako and mankind were suffering and dying. Thankfully he and Cid discover oil and they go around propping up tons of factories and oil rigs and usher in the lovely age of fossil fuels.

But most of the internet has only played or seen the first 10 minutes of FF7 so they think it's all about blowing up a power plant and being eco-terrorists despite the game pretty much showing you the horrors of your actions not long after you complete that mission and how it was a very bad thing to do. The characters actually grow and develop over the course of the game. Everything Barrett says in the first mission of the game is dissected by the storytelling and shown to be wrong by the end of their journey and he admits as such before they go off towards their final battle.

The Tomb Raider reboot is literally the most profitable game in the franchise that amassed over 14.5 million sales in its lifetime, with its sequels raking in millions as well. Deus Ex also did fine.

Don't know what you're smoking if you think that's not profitable. Probably the same crap the out of touch Square-Enix exec who looked at 3.5 million in the first few days of sales and think that's a "failure." No, they were not unprofitable. You're talking about one of the most iconic gaming heroines fresh off a new trilogy, and even a new movie, that made her all the more relevant again. Tomb Raider isn't dormant for a reason.

And I'm sorry have YOU played FF 7? I'm old enough to have bought the game when it originally came out and have played it a few times. You're dense if this is your takeaway.

And yes there is totally a comparison about how ironic it is to make NFTs of FF 7 of all things, when it was a game about people trying to stop a terrible corporation from doing awful things to the environment for the sake of short-sighted monetary gain. Which NFTs/crypto is, bad things for the environment idiots invest in for monetary gain.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2