• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best Anime of 2022

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:49 am Reply with quote
Wait what? I thought to Your Eternity season 2 would be listed as one of the worst due to the problematic animation and pacing. All the reviews so far have quite negative and it's apparently reaching it end.

Oh yeah, I wanted to also like Shield Hero season 2 but I got bored after that fight against the apparent kaiju for reasons I forgot. Maybe the other heroes still being douches, the return of slavery, and the "lolitake" on Rapthalia were some of the reasons.

Same with Tribe Nine but I felt that the pacing of the anime was to fast to properly enjoy. There are few matches in the series and not everybody manages to develop a bit despite them being written by Kodaka. I think the oranged haired and the redhaired mcs though were the most enjoyable at least in the second half.

Still, nothing compares to me what they did to Demon Part Timer. I always found season 1 enjoyable in retrospect for how funny are everybody when trying to adapt. However, this season felt like the writer wanted the characters to be taken more seriously especially when they added a baby Madao is devoted to protect and a lot of screentime is used on that.

I'm surprised with Attack on Titan Part 2 being listed as both as a the best and the worst anime of the year too. Kinda insane like how once Eren was both best male character and best villain once.

Note: And still not a single mention of Demon Slayer. Did the series suddenly lose its popularity?

Last edited by tintor2 on Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 10:50 am Reply with quote
I will never understand how on earth could crunchyroll mess up what was probably there biggest anime series they were producing, the adaptation for shield hero s2 was completly bonkers, it made changes that were unnecessary, made more fillers in an already compressed arc and cherry on top, they clearly did not spend the budget they were given to the series as it is clear that a majority was outsourced rather than animated by the main studio and no consistency.

It is like going back in time in the mid 00's when so many adaptations went anime original or major skips to be just dumped and done. I really hope they took the bad reception it got and will stay the course for s3 otherwise they are screwed and this series is over and done. Which is a shame as the book was more interesting than this poor excuse of an adaptation we got.

Also crunchyroll: If you want to make an entire episode on Rapthalia to promote her for the fanboys to buy merchandise , maybe next time don't revert her back to a kid cause that was not in the book and pretty much exploitive and creepy.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:23 am Reply with quote
Both Shield Hero 2 and Science Fell in Love gave me whiplash due to some shocking moments. Shield hero 2 in how they butchered some of the original story and Science Fell in love due to going from fun slice of life/happy vibes romance to near gang rape in the span of two episodes. The latter still makes me shake my head and wonder why they thought that something like that fits in the series.
Saeryen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:38 am Reply with quote
I’m just relieved that Bibliophile Princess, one of my favorites this season, isn’t on anyone’s worst list nor did it make the top 10 worst. I know it’s just a difference of opinion and I respect that, but honestly it would have been frustrating for me to see a show that explicitly condemns racism and discrimination, along with saying that people in power ought to use it for good, be considered anyone’s worst of the year.

I also happen to relate to the main character a lot and think she’s a really wonderful person.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SHD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:48 am Reply with quote
I'm just scratching my head about how Dance Dance Danseur can be described as a "mess"... oh well, to each their own.

Quote:
The anime does not resolve all of its emotional threads and some cursory research indicates the manga goes bananas later.

No, it doesn't. Not sure what research you did, but it doesn't. It's one of the best "young person finds their calling in life" type stories I've read, not in the least because it actually follows up said young person and his orbit, and just lets them be young people, warts and all. Sure, it does have some "wtf" moments, but then again, it treats them as weird and unconventional. (Besides, I have a fairly boring life and even that is full of moments an outsider would consider "wtf"...)
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Not really interested in arguing but some of Luou's later plot beats are, in my opinion, absolutely bananas unless hooking up with a sex worker that resembles your mom is normal in most circles?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SHD

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:41 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
Not really interested in arguing but some of Luou's later plot beats are, in my opinion, absolutely bananas unless hooking up with a sex worker that resembles your mom is normal in most circles?

I'd like to know where you read this because nothing like this happened as far as I've read. (Also, no spoilers in this thread I guess?)
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 12:57 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
Note: And still not a single mention of Demon Slayer. Did the series suddenly lose its popularity?

I forget if it was even on the poll? The most recent season ended in 2022, but began in 2021, maybe that's why?

I don't have any "Worst of the year" series, but definitely have weaker ones compared to the stuff I really liked: MHA S6 and Bleach both had me tuning in each week(having read the manga arcs in years past), and both had moments/episodes with excellent animation and story sandwiched between lots and lots of bland, ugly rubbish. Honestly only watched both for nostalgia's sake. I've talked at length about Edgerunners in other threads; I think it's ironically my "Chainsaw Man" in how I really don't understand the hype this show built up. I liked a couple of the characters, and it almost always looked very, very good, but the story and forced romance plot all fell flat for me. I binged it over a weekend and still believe that a weekly release would have helped this series immensely. Having a whole week to mull over character deaths and cliffhangers would have created a closer bond with those characters, for me.

Regardless of each person's likes and dislikes, I think we can all agree that 2022 was a really fantastic year for anime in general.
sourpatchthekid

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Surprised but not complaining that Bocchi made it to #3 of the year. It really did end up being fantastic

Also Laid Back Camp for best movie. I still need to check it out but as a big fan of the series I'm glad to hear it's good
Theleux

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:36 pm Reply with quote
Seeing Ranking of Kings in the Worst of the Year was a hilarious read, thanks for that. Glad the sympathetic and understanding intentions were completely lost on people.

Sliding in Bocchi too had me rolling. Keep it up!
StarDango

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And according to those, without their powers, people are supposed to be the same as normal, real-world humans. Yet this season, we're supposed to accept that a thin-yet-muscular teen, cut off from his superpowers, can jump hundreds of feet in the air and then punch the air hard enough to dodge super speed attacks, explosions, and blasts of fire. Being “genetically altered” to be the peak of human conditioning is one thing, but this is just magic.

Okay- to each their own when it comes to their opinion on MHA. But this is just a blatant misunderstanding on the context. Shigaraki isn’t entirely quirkless. He wasn’t simply genetically altered- his body was forced through an intense enhancement so that he could physically withstand the All for One quirk he was given, which includes everything that the original AfO stole.

It’s been established since the original AfO that he has a variety of quirks, including ones that can provide a natural enhancement to a persons body, like strength and durability. He wouldn’t have been able to survive against All Might (twice) otherwise.

It has been established that Aizawa’s quirk can only erase quirks or a part of a quirk that needs conscious activation. This includes almost every other characters’ quirk (One for All, Gravity, Explosion, etc.) But he cannot erase quirks that are passively active (Hagakure’s invisibility), permanently change physical appearances (Froppy’s frogginess and Mineta’s sticky hair) or remove a person’s natural enhancements that are a result of the quirk (eg. A body’s natural tolerance to things like fire/ice/acid) or earned through training (any hero.)

So Aizawa can erase Shigaraki’s decay quirk and other potential quirks that need activation. But he cannot erase any of his quirks that are passive or have a natural effect on the body, so whatever combo of quirks that make AfO and his Nomus as durable as a cockroach.

Is it really that hard to maintain the belief that Shigaraki, who has received decades worth of stolen quirks, has passive quirks and the physical prowess that keep him powerful despite Aizawa’s erasure?

This is a lot to read and can come off as just me spewing words. But everything I’ve typed as been established in the story for years. No one has to like it or think it’s good story telling. But it’s not going against the story’s established rules. AFO!Shigaraki’s capabilities doesn’t go against what has already been told or shown.

Last edited by StarDango on Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:44 pm Reply with quote
StarDango wrote:
This is a lot to read and can come off as just me spewing words. But everything I’ve typed as been established in the story for years. AFO!Shigaraki’s capabilities doesn’t go against what has already been told or shown.

Thank you for this; I was far far too lazy to attempt to explain it. Laughing
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:28 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
Wait what? I thought to Your Eternity season 2 would be listed as one of the worst due to the problematic animation and pacing. All the reviews so far have quite negative and it's apparently reaching it end.

This might be just me but I don't see much of a difference on the animation quality and pacing in comparison to the first season. It's been this bad since the start

Theleux wrote:
Seeing Ranking of Kings in the Worst of the Year was a hilarious read, thanks for that. Glad the sympathetic and understanding intentions were completely lost on people.

I mean, she explained exactly what disappointed her about the show. I too thought some resolutions to conflicts weren't all that great, that some of the fights felt a bit stretched, and that specifically the way the Miranjo deal was concluded was iffy, so I can see her point in those parts, even if I end up disagreeing on her conclusion that the second half is inferior to the first (I think the opposite) nor how much those things ruined the show for her
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I'm just scratching my head about how Dance Dance Danseur can be described as a "mess"... oh well, to each their own.

Incest and the message that talent>hard work are more than enough reason to call it a mess imo.
kwchou1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2023 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I want the shows I like to rated highly too, but it seems crazy to bot poll results. However, that helps explains some weird worst anime poll results.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 12