• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Akiba Maid War

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:22 am Reply with quote
I saw that coming because I've seen the ending of Weiß Kreuz Glühen. Very Happy
Aerdra

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 3:55 pm Reply with quote
WatcherZer wrote:
I didn't freeze frame it but my first thought was it was the girl who was the right hand of the maid alien hardliner, she went into exile after her death.

Manami's right-hand maid, Miyabi, died in the baseball episode after killing Kazue, but there were a few other Manami faction maids at large.
kgw

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:56 pm Reply with quote
Probably it was a deferred execution. Ranko was bound to die anyway since she faced Uzuko. Ranko bought her friends' lives with hers.

(it won't make sense had it been a random Animal maid for random reasons)
Thesarum
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Nooooooo Rankooooo! Your deadpan star burned brightest. I'd say it was extinguished too soon, but I guess 36 is actually beating the odds for a Creatureland Maid.

The assassin quite possibly could be nobody in particular. Random, brutal, pointless death being what awaits those who do not achieve purposeful deaths in this twisted version of Akihabara.

I guess the question for the last episode is does Nagomi flip to the sort of violence Ranko adopted after her own pacifist dreams were crushed, or does she try double down on her philosophy that there's a better way?
Philmister978

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Thesarum wrote:
Nooooooo Rankooooo! Your deadpan star burned brightest. I'd say it was extinguished too soon, but I guess 36 is actually beating the odds for a Creatureland Maid.

The assassin quite possibly could be nobody in particular. Random, brutal, pointless death being what awaits those who do not achieve purposeful deaths in this twisted version of Akihabara.

I guess the question for the last episode is does Nagomi flip to the sort of violence Ranko adopted after her own pacifist dreams were crushed, or does she try double down on her philosophy that there's a better way?

One thing is for certain though, given it happened in broad daylight, and in public in front of a couple dozen people. This will affect the maid culture in Akiba as its supposed innocence is now shattered and people will pass on what happened to both customers and the police.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 12:13 am Reply with quote
Excellent episode this week and quite heavy too. I suppose a happy ending probably wasn't in the cards considering the yakuza theming, but it still hit hard seeing Ranko (apparently) taken out like that. Definitely worked a lot better than Nerula.

Shout out to Ranko for having the best gag in the episode too. That elevator gag was "chef's kiss". Those old elevators are quick!

Wouldn't be surprised if we get a time skip next week.

absent wrote:
Ranko's assassin appeared to be wearing the axolotl headgear, so my first thought is that this is a random act of vengeance from a former Maidalien. Time will tell...

Definitely looked like that to me too. Whether it's someone specific or not, I couldn't say without combing through past episodes.

Philmister978 wrote:

One thing is for certain though, given it happened in broad daylight, and in public in front of a couple dozen people. This will affect the maid culture in Akiba as its supposed innocence is now shattered and people will pass on what happened to both customers and the police.

Also one of the trio of the regulars were killed, so things definitely seem to be getting more public and heading in the wrong direction.
Zen119

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:23 am Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
absent wrote:
Ranko's assassin appeared to be wearing the axolotl headgear, so my first thought is that this is a random act of vengeance from a former Maidalien. Time will tell...

Definitely looked like that to me too. Whether it's someone specific or not, I couldn't say without combing through past episodes.

Well, some are saying that Ranko's killer is the surviving Wuv Wuv Moonbeam maid who's pigtail was cut off in episode 1 and now is an axolotl maid, judging by the hair color and hairstyle. We'll see if they will touch upon that in the final episode.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 1:53 am Reply with quote
Philmister978 wrote:
Pfft, like there was any supposed innocence in the first place where literally everyone who watches the news (and that was the thing since... episode 2, where they literally claimed the Ranko mass shooting as a regular turf war?) knows exactly that the Akiba maid business is just as criminal as it is and they literally have the same public image as what you can think of the yakuza members, let alone just the police (especially when they have a bribed moles there, like in Manami episode). Even their visitors know that, like in the case of former Nerula customers.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2022 5:54 am Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Philmister978 wrote:
Pfft, like there was any supposed innocence in the first place where literally everyone who watches the news (and that was the thing since... episode 2, where they literally claimed the Ranko mass shooting as a regular turf war?) knows exactly that the Akiba maid business is just as criminal as it is and they literally have the same public image as what you can think of the yakuza members, let alone just the police (especially when they have a bribed moles there, like in Manami episode). Even their visitors know that, like in the case of former Nerula customers.

Well push has come to shove, I wouldn't be surprised if this incident is what causes the decline in popularity of Creatureland's assets. After all, bribes and the like have happened mostly behind closed doors or were considered "mysterious" regardless of the perceived under/overtones. Now it's all out in the open unambiguously to everyone who aren't regular visitors, likely in front of people who don't visit these cafes in the first place.
absent
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Zen119 wrote:
Covnam wrote:
absent wrote:

Well, some are saying that Ranko's killer is the surviving Wuv Wuv Moonbeam maid who's pigtail was cut off in episode 1 and now is an axolotl maid, judging by the hair color and hairstyle. We'll see if they will touch upon that in the final episode.

spoiler[Seems like this was spot on.]
Fantastic final episode.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Show of the year. A true masterpiece of comedic timing and commitment to a ridiculous premise.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 10:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm sad that I fell off this show a few weeks ago, not knowing about Episode 11 until earlier today. Really great final episode for a wild ride of a series.
AdamW
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 2:11 am Reply with quote
The most important takeaway from this week's episode is that we need to reformulate the idea formerly known as Chekkov's Gun. It will henceforth be the Panda Spear Precept: if you show us a girl dressed as a panda sharpening s bamboo spear in Act 2, she'd better hurl it through the heart of a ruthless maid gang boss in Act 5...

What a great show all the way through!
therjabundo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:34 am Reply with quote
That was a nice finale, Nagomi, who followed Ranko's and Michiyo's example as well as Nagi's death, were the catalysts to a new and reformed Akihabara in the present. The finale however did not explain how exactly there was peace again in the city and among the maid cafes, what happened in the present to the other maids at Oinky Doink, the manager and Okachimachi, as well as Ranko's murderer and what became of Creatureland. There needs to be a sequel to answer these, I doubt it though. All in all, an incredible series, the dark horse of the season and my anime of the season tied with Reincarnated as a Sword. I'll give it an 8.5/10.
fausti

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:49 am Reply with quote
An outstanding finale to an outstanding show.

If you had told me earlier this year that my favorite anime closing out 2022 would be about yakuza murder maids instead of Mob Psycho 100 or Chainsaw Man or even Spy x Family, I definitely would have given you some major side-eye.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7