• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Batman Voice Actor Kevin Conroy Passes Away at 66

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 4:08 pm Reply with quote
An absolute legend. Rest in Peace. Crying or Very sad
JintoLin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:07 pm Reply with quote
He was the best Batman ever. Full stop.
If you listen to any commentary track he's on (the anime movie Batman: Gotham Knight is a good one) you'll realize how much thought and exploration he put into the character. Truly a great talent.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:17 pm Reply with quote
And so goes a voice acting god. I highly recommend everyone read the story he wrote for DC Pride this year. Powerful stuff
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 5:58 pm Reply with quote
Sad Rip Kevin. You will always be my Batman.
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 6:36 pm Reply with quote
R.I.P. Best Batman...
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:28 pm Reply with quote
I grew up watching Batman: The Animated series and continuing to watch the DCAU shows in my later years like Justice League & Justice League: Unlimited, Kevin's voicing Bruce Wayne/Batman is so symbolic for me (I grew up exposed and loving the DC Comics superheroes, like Batman & Superman, and also made up a chunk of my childhood). When I first heard about this on Twitter (from voice actors like Jennifer Hale shared that report first), I couldn't believe it. But few hours later, there were more confirmations including articles/reports from mainstream entertainment news like Variety, Deadline Hollywood, and Hollywood Reporter, this would later expand to MSM like CBS News (yes, CBS News made Kevin's death a big deal).

We lost the iconic voice of Batman, and to be almost no one can come close to have that voice and the portrayal of Batman like Kevin did. The voice he bring to Batman, I can't think of any other voice actor that can come close to Kevin Conroy's. He'll be missed!!! Sad Crying or Very sad

RIP Kevin Conroy (1955-2022)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zeino

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2022 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Just devastating. There was never a better Batman, and there will never be a better Batman. He is the character. When I read a comic, I hear his voice. This is such a gut punch especially coming after Conroy’s incredibly moving personal story he was able to tell this year and the waves of support he received after coming out. More so than the definitive Batman, he was just an incredible performer and person, an inspiration to voice actors everywhere on what it means to breathe a soul into your work. Just goddamnit man, what a loss. Rest in peace.

Track down the autobiographical story he wrote for DC's Pride Anthology. It's very good.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:43 am Reply with quote
I...I...I just don't know what to say.

This is legitimately gutting for me. A man who defined a character, a character that defined me in many ways, and carried the spirit of the character through so much...such a kind, compassionate, soul who has gone through so much before he finally achieved the legendary status he deserved.

RIP Kevin Conroy. You were Vengeance. You were the Night. You were Batman. But you were also yourself.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 6:08 am Reply with quote
Oh gosh! How sad. Kevin Conroy passed away. I don't believe it. Such a shame. He deserved to be with us longer. Many people who loved "Batman:The Animated Series" and to have him die at the age of 66 when he had some more left to give. Such a sad way to go.

RIP Mr. Conroy. You'll always be remembered. Sad
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:17 am Reply with quote
RIP, this man was a Goddamn legend.

He is Vengeance, he is the Night, he is BATMAN! Hell of a guy.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 8:03 am Reply with quote
RIP! The only other actor that probably spent that much comparable time as Batman filming and recording time was Adam West.
Kalisia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:24 pm Reply with quote
ZelosZoidberg wrote:
Ouch this is probably the hardest I've been hit by a English VO death since Robin Williams (if you count him as a VO). RIP. I've gotta go lie down...

I couldn't believe when I found out Robin William's voiced Batty from FernGully: The Last Rainforest.

Great movie if you are unfamiliar ;D
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:

Track down the autobiographical story he wrote for DC's Pride Anthology. It's very good.

I just did this. Honestly, what a ride! So much went into a single voice. Crying or Very sad
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I grew up with Kevin Conroy and Adam West's Batman and it was their performances that defined the character for me and I especially always loved Conroy's performance in Batman TAS which was always one of my favorite animated series growing up. It's still one of the best animated series and one of the best Batman titles and it's Conroy giving Batman this warm humanity to his character that you don't always see in other Batman titles that really makes it stand out. As a gay Batman fan, it was amazing to find out later on that Kevin Conroy was gay himself and that he played such an iconic character. Thank you for all the fond memories and inspiration you gave to a generation Kevin Conroy and RIP and my heart goes out to his family and loved ones.
ranran-001

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2022 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
I grew up with Kevin Conroy and Adam West's Batman and it was their performances that defined the character for me and I especially always loved Conroy's performance in Batman TAS which was always one of my favorite animated series growing up. It's still one of the best animated series and one of the best Batman titles and it's Conroy giving Batman this warm humanity to his character that you don't always see in other Batman titles that really makes it stand out. As a gay Batman fan, it was amazing to find out later on that Kevin Conroy was gay himself and that he played such an iconic character. Thank you for all the fond memories and inspiration you gave to a generation Kevin Conroy and RIP and my heart goes out to his family and loved ones.

One of the best episodes of the animated series had to have been Beware the Grey Ghost. It had Adam West in it, playing a version of himself during his later years when he tried to escape type casting. What a treat it must have been for Kevin Conroy who grew up watching Adam West's Batman.

If I had a top five Batman TAS episode list, then they would include:

Beware the Grey Ghost
Heart of Ice
Nothing to Fear
Robins Reckoning Parts 1 and 2
I Am the Night
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3