• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hunter x Hunter Manga Resumes After Almost 4 Years on October 24

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:10 am Reply with quote
Man, if this goes wrong, it could get canceled.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:19 am Reply with quote
SP654 wrote:
Now if only they bring back the anime

The 2011 anime was really popular, so I have no doubt that they'll animate HxH again once there's enough material to warrant it. Right now, there's only one completed story arc which hasn't been animated, and it's too short (nine chapters) to get an adaption on its own.

The current arc (42 chapters so far) is long enough that once it ends, you could probably get at least a two-cour anime series by animating it and the previous arc. But there's no telling how much longer it will go on, or if it will conclude during this 10 chapter run which Togashi is starting.
Sasuke149

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:54 am Reply with quote
As a creator myself, I don't think a creator owes it to their readers to continue their story, but they owe it to the story and characters. Togashi must feel really sad, as would any mangaka with some heart.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:24 am Reply with quote
Sasuke149 wrote:
As a creator myself, I don't think a creator owes it to their readers to continue their story, but they owe it to the story and characters. Togashi must feel really sad, as would any mangaka with some heart.

Considering the details he has shared about the horrible physical state he's in (it seems that for years he was unable to perform many everyday tasks like going to the bathroom normally, showering or even just sitting in a chair) I'm both sad for Togashi and amazed at his determination to continue this story. No one wants Hunter X Hunter to continue more than him.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:29 am Reply with quote
I think it will be best for the writer the wrap up this arc as wella s kurapika's quest and be done with it, this will be the benefit for both him and the fans.

Cause it will give more time for him to focus more on his health and the fandom won't be left hanging in the dark anymore.

Gon and Killua's story have pretty much already wrapped up nicely, kurapika's is the only real major factor left to close.
Artemis X

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:11 am Reply with quote
I mean Its great that its coming back, but is it something to be extremly thrilled about? We all know that after these 10 chapters, Hxh will most likely go on another extended hiatus (3-4 years) before it returns again.

What togashi needs to do is give his work to a competent illustrator that knows his art style and have him dictate the way the story goes from his sick bed or what ever, but have an assistant manage the illustrations so things can be completed at a more decent pace.

I have heard that he has hired more staff to help him so maybe he is thinking along these lines which maybe why its returning to a weekly publised magazine, maybe this is happening for the long haul, not just for those 10 chapters. Will see I guess.
Kirki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:21 am Reply with quote
The feeling of frustration is plenty valid, just not on the same level as the creator's right to do what they want with their story. It irks me when I see responses like: "No you shouldn't feel that way, his problems are bigger than yours so shut up about it." Yes obviously the creator might have some health problems like in this case, or, they might just not feel like picking up the story ever again. As someone who also used to write a bit, there is no meaning in demanding of someone to continue creating if they don't want to: they will have nothing to give you in the first place. That's a completely different thing than feeling frustrated as a consumer from the lack of content and from the creator ending up not meeting the expectations he has purposely cultivated on you to keep you hooked.

It would be more honest from a creator to say: Hey guys I'm dropping this, but most of the times it goes like this: Creator has an issue - puts the story aside but still plans on coming back - issue continues - creator ultimately disconnects from story - it's too late to make an official announcement - story just never continues. It's not that big of a deal, after a while you just forget about it and don't care. I stopped caring about NANA a long time ago, no matter how much I loved the anime, and the same thing happened with HxH.

Specifically for HxH, I think the anime of 2011 has pretty much covered what I would have liked to see from it. At this point, knowing Togashi's condition, any more feels like he's being tortured. I really hope he's continuing out of his own will and not due to pressure from WSJ.
Nodz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:30 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Man, if this goes wrong, it could get canceled.

It will never get canceled.
-Matthew-

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:59 am Reply with quote
Finally! I hope that Togashi will successfully finish Hunter one day!
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:12 am Reply with quote
While I do understand some readers might feel pissed about the hiatus, I don't really think they can't ask creators to forgot their health just to have a chapter more. Specially in Togashi's case, since Shueisha forced him to keep on drawing Yu Yu Hakusho. Surely they have learned from that.

But, in the other hand if the series come back and readers -after almost four years in hiatus- say "Togashi who?" and stop buying the volumes or voting in the surveys, it will be cancelled. It won't be the first time a series return from a hiatus just to finish. In the end, readers hold the supreme power of all: buying/reading the work. No work can survive without a public.
SenpaiDuckie
ANN Community Manager

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:15 am Reply with quote
Finally, after years of waiting! HxH is the series that made me fall in love with world of anime and this is great news.

Of course, like many manga readers, I, too, have felt the frustration or impatience for the manga update... such feelings are valid because Togashi-sensei has been on hiatus for three years and eleven months. I'm sure the author is aware of the fans that have been kept waiting. Learning about his condition however, changes a lot. Personally, after reading the news, and especially the news of him hiring more staff, I just hope that he'll be able to finish his masterpiece as how he wants it to be.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:35 am Reply with quote
kgw wrote:
Specially in Togashi's case, since Shueisha forced him to keep on drawing Yu Yu Hakusho. Surely they have learned from that.

Togashi literally ended YYH the way he did because he simply got tired of drawing it (& even apologized for his "selfishness"), and after YYH's end Togashi has pretty much been allowed to do literally whatever he wanted & is treated like a king for it by Shueisha (the second half of Level E's chapters all got color opening pages, despite only coming out once per month, and of course HxH's numerous hiatuses), so I guess one could say that Shueisha did indeed "learn"... I guess.
Mr. Toto

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 10:58 am Reply with quote
Togashi has been writing HxH since 1998. I started picking up volumes in 2005 upon its first release in the US. He’s well aware of his audience — most fans of Hunter x Hunter are likely adults.

During that time, some of us may have started careers, gotten married, had kids, etc. I certainly don’t have the time for anime or manga like I did when I was a teenager and I would imagine the same is true for most fans.

For an adult, seeing a creator like Togashi to return to his craft despite weathering through excruciating pain is inspirational. Ignore the immature tidings coming from those who suffer from a deficit of empathy. I’m elated at the prospect of 20 new chapters after four years of hiatus. If he takes another break after these, I will remain thankful and wait for him to come back.

In the meantime, I will continue to live my own life to the fullest. It’s that simple.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Toto wrote:
For an adult, seeing a creator like Togashi to return to his craft despite weathering through excruciating pain is inspirational.

I agree with the rest of your post, but watching an artist destroy themselves for their art is anything but inspirational. I wish him the best, but would almost prefer him not finish the series and try to regain his health than to end up dying at his desk. The "tortured artist"(both mentally and physically) is a horrid, toxic stereotype that needs to go.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Artemis X wrote:
I mean Its great that its coming back, but is it something to be extremly thrilled about? We all know that after these 10 chapters, Hxh will most likely go on another extended hiatus (3-4 years) before it returns again.
I hope he cancels it again because of comments like this because Togashi "fans" don't deserve anything.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4