• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Fall 2022 Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thesarum
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:14 pm Reply with quote
AQuin1904 wrote:
Place-based surnames aren't exactly rare in sci-fi or fantasy settings (and they're how a lot of real surnames got started), so for all we know this is common on remote colonies. The other students probably hail from closer to Earth, given all the comments about Mercury being the middle of nowhere. It's not like the name connection would be lost on the Japanese audience either (most educated Japanese people would know "Mercury"), so it's hard to imagine this just being an issue in translation.

Yeah, varies by culture and region, but I think hereditary surnames for commoners in England only really kicked in in the late middle ages (The aristocracy, who had social standing to inherit, adopted the practice earlier). Place or occupation based names were common prior to that. People literally were "Bob from Upper Snorfingham". This is pretty much what I assumed the name was, rather than being a weird fake name (though maybe it is, there's currently no indication that either girl is aware of their intersecting histories, and Suletta's mother does have reason to hide theirs. That's probably not going to last long though)

I enjoyed The Witch from Mercury. I'd not picked up earlier Gundam series (through you probably have to be actively trying in order to remain entirely ignorant of it), so I had no particular expectations. And this was fun. I disagree with the reading of Suletta as "timid" though. She's got some specific social and communication difficulties, but when action was required she never once ran from it. Not in initially rescuing Miorine (which looked like it triggered some trauma related panic attack to me), not in then approaching her to "take responsibility" despite how obviously difficult that was, not in standing up for what she believed was right against Guel, nor venturing onto an active Gundam battlefield to retrieve Aerial. And certainly not in that final, brutal, attack that quite literally cut him down to size. And boy did that feel good.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Zefram wrote:
myfairx wrote:

Villainess is good I think. reminds me of Phantom in the twilight which I enjoy a lot which says a lot since I'm not a fan of reverse harem.

I don't believe it's reverse harem. Been thru first 2 novels and there is only 1 love interest.

It's reverse harem in the sense that she gathers a bunch of men around her, a few of whom start to like her at least semi-romantically, but from the start she only had her eyes on one person so they never stood a chance anyway.
As of spoiler[the third book her and the demon lord are married] (Spoiler for third book).
As she's living in a reverse harem game world it makes sense there's a lot of men around lol.

___
I watched ep 1 of Pop Team Epic and it was still good. The animation seems nicer than last time and feels more... old school cartoony? The way they moved during the insert song was like watching old cartoons, it was great.
Was also so nice to have the VAs for Haruhi and Yuki work together again... I'm not sure of the connection between the male VAs though they were both in conan by the looks of it.
Oby

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:24 pm Reply with quote
myfairx wrote:
And I can see how Sunrise diversifying its IP and Bandai eyeing more female fans.

This might be surprising to some but Gundam actually has huge female fanbase since 1979 to this very second. In fact, when first Gundam TV show got cancelled, a lot of female fans were protesting along with the male fans. The female Gundam fans are surprisingly mostly consist of teenage to adult women from housewives, college students to highschool girls.

During the Gundam SEED era, the number of female Gundam fans skyrocketed even more.

myfairx wrote:
NGL I think we'll see Gundam x Love Live somewhere in the future.

"Mecha x idol" is more in the Macross territory than Gundam. I don't think Gundam showrunners want to be labeled as ripping off Macross (which Bandai also has the rights to sell its toys). As I said before, Gundam already has plenty of female fans as is. All they need to do is keep making compelling stories.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:43 pm Reply with quote
They sure didn't waste any time getting this season kicked off, even though quite a few will be debuting later into the month. The story so far...

Shippo Does Rakugo should be exactly in my wheelhouse. Tanuki, rakugo, Taishou era...and yet this totally left me flat. The artwork didn't captivate, the rakugo was dull, and Mameda wasn't charming. Bunko was ok? I liked the old tanuki best, and seeing them out still playing tricks was sweet. But then there was that weird recap at the end and I think I might be done with this. At best it will be an easy drop when I inevitably start falling behind.

Kiss Me Claude, on the other hand, was a nice surprise. I liked Aileen just fine, for being clever and not a doormat, but let's face it, I'm mainly here for the Demon King and watching her pull him kicking and screaming out of his isolation. Heck, I even like his side-kicks, including the crow.

Quirk Wars 6 is off to a nice start. Mostly I'm just worried for Hawks. I hope they don't end up killing him off. (not. one. word. manga readers. not even spoiler tagged.)

SpyxFamilyxDog hasn't missed a step, but I didn't expect it to. Dat kick, man. Very Happy

Likewise, I expected Detective Gaojun: The Raven Chaser to be good, but it was even better than I'd hoped for. After only one episode, so far it reminds me of a donghua called Bai Yao Pu (Fairies Albums), both in the supernatural aspects and the cheeky, kinda bitchy heroine. Shouxue is pretty cool and the Emperor is no slouch. I think the power games they're playing with each other will be entertaining. I'm curious as to what the format going forward will be though. A series of ghost stories, or mostly palace politics, or a mix of both? I'm here for it, whatever they've got cooking.

IDOLiSH7/3/2 didn't even slow down to catch its breath from Part 1. I would've thought Yaotome's dad, knowing it was a trap, would've brought more chaperones (not all women, cause now it looks like he's meeting up for an orgy) or bring his own cameras or something. Like have one of his aides knock on the door. That would've been funny if she came bombing out the door into the arms of one of the women. Very Happy Anyway, looking forward to how this all rolls out. I like Zool's ED, but not quite as much as Trigger's in Part 1.

If Pop Tokusatsu Epic consisted solely of Endless L.O.V.E. and Side B, I'd absolutely be on board. But it won't, so I think I probably won't either, unless there's some buzz that makes me watch an episode.

I watched Revolutionary Gundam Girl just to see what everyone was on about. I saw. Wasn't too impressed, but Gundam has a way of drawing me in whether I want to be or not, so who knows.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Oby wrote:

myfairx wrote:
NGL I think we'll see Gundam x Love Live somewhere in the future.

"Mecha x idol" is more in the Macross territory than Gundam. I don't think Gundam showrunners want to be labeled as ripping off Macross (which Bandai also has the rights to sell its toys). As I said before, Gundam already has plenty of female fans as is. All they need to do is keep making compelling stories.

Gundam SEED kind of already went this route with Lacus Clyne, although certainly not to the extent that Macross does.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:19 am Reply with quote
Late, but just saw Beast Tamer because of the reviews, and contrary to several, I though it was sweet. It's a harem, but the protag is such a nice guy (like me!). No slamming her into bed, no slavery, not much murder, no "playful panty shots", just consensual partnership and mutual appreciation. I did think killing all those goblins was awful for such a nice guy and killing the Tiger-kitten was an unnecessarily rough and really mean way to handle that, but then the plot wouldn't have happened... Rolling Eyes
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:54 am Reply with quote
Was planning not to watch Full Shoujo Alchemist, but the reviews got me curious about the test. Oh dear, terrible flashbacks to my college chem class where I failed the lab test three times (as did a third of the class!) and had to drop the class, only to then learn that the company supplying the test mixture sent the wrong key with the formulation that that third of us were testing. So I definitely sympathized with the girl who failed because they wouldn't admit their error.

I don't think I'll be sticking with this though. I think I might have enjoyed it more if she seemed like a high school or college grad rather than a middle schooler, as I did kinda like her mentor. And she seems just a bit too genki and flighty for someone with her backstory of bereavement and solitude and single-minded focus.
Kirki

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:28 am Reply with quote
Golden Kamuy was as stellar as always. I really wish more people talked about it. Words can't describe how happy and surprised I am that it got a full adaptation. After most of what has aired this season, I was like yeah, now we're talking about the big names!

Spy x Family's production is good and maybe even better than the 1st season, but content wise this never won me over. Anya is a precious star, but the rest remains kind of lukewarm.

Boku no Hero Academia is a fun time of superhero fights like always and that's about it.

Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu picks up exactly where it left of, so no surpises here. It's a shame that it takes itself so seriously as a 'history documentary' and lacks the flair of the first OVA series, but it still has strong source material.

Koukyuu no Karasu was interesting as a mystery, the aesthetic is also nice. I'll follow it up a bit more to see where it goes.

Akuyaku Reijou was a bit childish. MC is an interesting and charismatic gal, but the world around her is kind of a cookie cutter and the comedy isn't especially strong. Maybe it will serve as a comedy injection among all the serious and high tense series of this season, but I doubt it can handle the competition.
Bexarath

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:17 am Reply with quote
Golden Kamuy is the first thing I watched from this season, because it deserves priority. I have missed this show's insane antics, and this episode did not disappoint. I wish it got more attention, because it's one of the best shows out there.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:53 am Reply with quote
I'm not really a Gundam fan. I almost skipped the reviews of the Witch of Mercury series, I'm so uninterested in the Gundam franchise. But gosh, golly I'm glad I peeked at the reviews.

Whoa.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:28 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Was planning not to watch Full Shoujo Alchemist, but the reviews got me curious about the test. Oh dear, terrible flashbacks to my college chem class where I failed the lab test three times (as did a third of the class!) and had to drop the class, only to then learn that the company supplying the test mixture sent the wrong key with the formulation that that third of us were testing. So I definitely sympathized with the girl who failed because they wouldn't admit their error..

Not necessarily. I got the impression that the mess up was between students. The guy replaced the good item that the previous student used (and still messed up) with the similarly looking wrong one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:46 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Not necessarily. I got the impression that the mess up was between students. The guy replaced the good item that the previous student used (and still messed up) with the similarly looking wrong one.

Yeah, I think you're right. I thought the "she" he wanted to call back was the previous student, since MC passed the test, so why call her back. But I guess he didn't realize she passed. Also, I thought that student moping in the hallway they showed while they talked was the failed student, which reinforced that impression (plus my own experience!), but I guess it was the girl shown behind her pre-exam, whose hair was slightly lighter purple.
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:45 pm Reply with quote
Shinobi no Ittoki

First episode was pretty good with some fun action though not too much happened.

That said the idea of not telling the MC that he's going to be a Ninja is beyond stupid. I'd get it if the idea was to keep him in the dark so he could live a normal life but his mom secretly trained him with the intention of making him a ninja so why keep it a secret while his childhood friend clearly received better training?

This is definitely a case of a good premise being dragged down by an incredibly stupid set up.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
He's got no real personality
I've never liked this complaint, because the vast majority of the time it ought to be replaced with "I don't like his personality." Robots have no personality, not a dude who's torn between his own sense of responsibility leading him to support the family on too-young shoulders and living his own life, who frequently emotes, and has different rapports with various people. "Potato" is a lazy and unfitting crutch.

As for Shinobi no Ittoki itself, the premiere was solid. Great action, crisp animation, several neat flourishes like the karen's spittle on the camera. The retail segment in the middle dragged, though. Tsuda Kenjiro probably offed the Koga dude along with Ittoki's dad.
pi8you

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:52 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
several neat flourishes like the karen's spittle on the camera.

I don't know if I'll keep watching, but I'm gonna predict right now that the Uncle busts out some sweet ninja moves on her later in the season, either directly or in the course of saving her from herself.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 22