• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Rurouni Kenshin TV Anime Reveals Cast, Staff, 2023 Premiere on Noitamina

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Excoman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:53 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
That trailer looks absolutely beautiful. That said, I don't much see the point of "re-adapting" the manga from the start when this has already been done...a lot. The Kyoto Arc has already been adapted to anime twice, in live action once, and of course there's the original manga; do we really need a fifth version of this story?

Aside from filler, the original anime still holds up remarkably well, better than most shows of its era. Seems like it would make more sense to just adapt the last third of the manga, which has never been animated, than redo the old stuff yet again.

Because this is a completely new adaptation which has nothing to do with previous productions.

And nowadays not much people will go back to watch the old anime, regardless of how much you think it holds up.
Todd_Harry08

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:55 am Reply with quote
AiddonValentine wrote:
What gets me is not only do we have Watsuki in this, the character designer is Terumi Nishii who has really gone off the deep end. Oh, and the actual production studio is the same one who did Berserk 2016 with a director whose work is absolutely middling. This thing is gonna be a MESS.

Lidenflims didn't produce the animation production and was just one of the producers while Millepensee did the animation production and GEMBA did the CG production in a tight schedule with shortage in staff.

Also the Director did worked on Attack on Titan and Cell at Works Black (had good direction) so he might be not that bad.
GWOtaku

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:57 am Reply with quote
Artemis, it's pretty obvious that the existence of the anime isn't in question here. We wouldn't be here otherwise. And the extreme you're on, which is basically writing off what most agree to be token punishments and calling names while doing it, isn't useful.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:01 am Reply with quote
Yo I’m a little more than fuckin worried people are now saying they’re sick of hearing about Watsuki’s crimes and that he “paid a while ago.”

There’s a whole lot wrong with that sentiment. It can be tiring to always see the topic raised, sure, but it’s an unforgettable and unforgivable crime. It’s like if someone killed somebody, served their time to get off on a technicality, became successful, and when people bring up the fact he killed someone, it was “in the past.”

Just no.
Todd_Harry08

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:03 am Reply with quote
catone2 wrote:
In Index's case even, the author himself outright said in an interview that the decision to cram 10 volumes into 2 cours was a decision on the production side. Pretty telling.

He stated that it was Kadokawa's fault not the anime studio's decision while the director he wanted more episodes.
Excoman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:27 am Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
Yo I’m a little more than fuckin worried people are now saying they’re sick of hearing about Watsuki’s crimes and that he “paid a while ago.”

There’s a whole lot wrong with that sentiment. It can be tiring to always see the topic raised, sure, but it’s an unforgettable and unforgivable crime. It’s like if someone killed somebody, served their time to get off on a technicality, became successful, and when people bring up the fact he killed someone, it was “in the past.”

Just no.

In school I have experienced such bullying that will follow me for the rest of my life.

That lasted for several years. I wouldn't wish those kinds of days to anyone, and I am lucky I had people around me that helped me not choose the worst kind of escape.

That bully is now a family person, respected by everyone, but I myself hadn't had anything to do with him in years.

If I wanted, I could have easily had my revenge, and ruin their life in some way, but what would that really do for me?

I will never forget what happened to me, I will always feel sick for the rest of my life, but I don't in particular hate that person, or wish them anything bad in their life.
Joker#941490

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:29 am Reply with quote
For anyone who's so pressed about the author because of doing something stupid
Nobody is perfect in the end and you're not helping and does more bad than good and thinking being a rebel will solve anything

Also is it hard to separate the source material from its author unless you were kid which is a different matter.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:44 am Reply with quote
Joker#941490 wrote:
Nobody is perfect in the end and you're not helping and does more bad than good and thinking being a rebel will solve anything

Also is it hard to separate the source material from its author unless you were kid which is a different matter.

Not easy when they're still alive and still get royalties. Separating the art from the artist is meant for critiquing. Until he dies from old age in about 40 years (he's 52), whenever you buy something Rurouni Kenshin-related brand new or watch the legal streams for the anime or live-action movies, he still make a profit. People aren't exactly comfortable with supporting someone that was caught with so much CP they thought he had intent to distribute it, and then after getting caught went on about his preferences.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:55 am Reply with quote
Joker#941490 wrote:

there's an incomparable gap between "doing something stupid" and being a child predator.
Joker#941490

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:11 am Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:
Not easy when they're still alive and still get royalties. Separating the art from the artist is meant for critiquing. Until he dies from old age in about 40 years (he's 52), whenever you buy something Rurouni Kenshin-related brand new or watch the legal streams for the anime or live-action movies, he still make a profit. People aren't exactly comfortable with supporting someone that was caught with so much CP they thought he had intent to distribute it, and then after getting caught went on about his preferences.

I understand and it's fine to not support the author (by buying volumes ,merchandise etc) if you don't want it and in the end I can't support him but he doesn't need my support anyway.
Excoman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:58 am Reply with quote
ANN know what they are doing when they post anything related to Rurouni Kenshin, and Watsuki.

Btw, there are already tens of thousands of likes for that first trailer.
Much, much more than dislikes.

Compare that to the The Little Mermaid trailer where people who work on it hadn't done anything problematic (AFAIK), and how people reacted to it, and, well...

What is that telling you?

Joker#941490 wrote:
I understand and it's fine to not support the author (by buying volumes ,merchandise etc) if you don't want it and in the end I can't support him but he doesn't need my support anyway.

Let's be honest, people who won't pay for it (for whatever reason), but will watch it regardless, are either hypocrites, or just leechers in the end who are making excuses.

Hate Watsuki, criticize him, even go to Japan and tell him in his face everything worst that you can imagine, but at least have some decency, and completely distance yourself even from his works, because no matter what anyone says, Rurouni Kenshin is his own creation, all the positive values in it came from Watsuki's mind, and heart, and your appreciation of it is thanks to that same Watsuki that you can't stand, and it only exist because of him.

Everyone can in their mind separate the art from the artist, but that will never change the fact that art is the very expression of the artist's soul, no matter how lowly you may think of him.
BrainBlow

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:30 am Reply with quote
Excoman wrote:
From Wikipedia:

Shōnen manga (少年漫画, transl. "boys' comics", also romanized as shonen, shounen or syônen) is an editorial category of Japanese comics targeting an audience of adolescent boys

Rurouni Kenshin is a shonen.

Shounen is a meaningless label. Only about 1/4th of the weekly shounen jump readership actually fall under the category. It's The same for most "shounen" magazines. Most of the audience is actually over 18.

And that's not even getting into how women are a huge part of the shounen audience, with some shounen series actually having a majority female audience. The "original" shounen demographic has been dwindling for decades, so the publications in the genre simply chase the money sources that present themselves.
The shounen label is merely vestigial.
Excoman

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:59 am Reply with quote

Look, just somehow, anyhow try, and forgive the guy, even if he didn't pay enough for the possession of CP, even if he himself doesn't feel sorry (who knows, maybe he does, but I frankly doubt it), because he didn't wronged YOU, and more than anything else, because you all are just poisoning yourselves with grudge that doesn't even belong to you.

Rurouni Kenshin won't fail, you not paying for it won't change anything, and you won't bring Watsuki down; all you will be left with is...

Well, negative feelings, and nothing else, while Watsuki doesn't even know you exist.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:21 am Reply with quote
BigOnAnime wrote:
Separating the art from the artist is meant for critiquing.

I never got in to Rurouni Kenshin in its heyday, and samurai stories don't really fall into my tastes so doubt I'll watch the new one either. And while I don't condone what Watsuki did, I think law has had its course.
That said, once it comes up for review here on ANN in a year, I do hope ANN will be professional enough to review the show on its own merits.

GWOtaku wrote:
Whenever the show drops I fully expect there to be a segment of people calling out distributors for even streaming it, most of which will not have had a word to say about genuinely objectionable material. And to a point I understand why, but the irony is incredibly bitter to swallow.

Then I hope there will be enough other people to call out that segment of people in turn if it escalates to harassment beyond just disapproval.
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:27 am Reply with quote
Excoman wrote:
Look, just somehow, anyhow try, and forgive the guy, even if he didn't pay enough for the possession of CP, even if he himself doesn't feel sorry (who knows, maybe he does, but I frankly doubt it), because he didn't wronged YOU, and more than anything else, because you all are just poisoning yourselves with grudge that doesn't even belong to you.

“I mean, Ted Bundy never killed any of YOUR friends or family, so forgive and forget, right? No need for anything more than a slap on the wrist for all those other people he killed.”

Honestly, Kenshin was a great series. I really enjoyed both the anime and the manga as well as the first few live action films I saw. But if you can’t see why people might have an issue with actively supporting a confirmed pedo with a net worth likely in the millions of dollars, who got a roughly $2000 fine as his only punishment... I honestly don’t know what to say to you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 12