• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Anti-War Novelist, Tokyo University Professor Discuss Conflicting Morals In Gundam

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BH0

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:23 am Reply with quote
There's nothing wrong with thinking Gundams are cool. It's like saying you shouldn't find villains like Frieza or the Joker cool because they're mass murderers despite how charismatic they are in their own series. Seriously, the "wow, cool robot" meme is so stupid; you can like how badass the fights are in Gundam while still believing war is bad. Do people who kill random civilians in GTA for fun have anti-social beliefs? It's puritanism dressed in academic lingo.
Los Nido

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:59 am Reply with quote
"Wow, cool robot" is merely a gotcha people like to post when they bring up the "anime isn't political" strawman argument by saying Gundam has themes of how war is bad so it's political. It's not much of a polical stance though since everyone agrees with it outside a handful of top corporate and political warprofiteers. But it's usually said in bad faith anyway so I don't expect people to use it when it comes to someone or something they probably align with.

As for the topic, how I feel has already been stated. I see no issue with admiring weapons, vehicles, robots, or romanticizing war-period stories and dramas. Doing so is not an endorsement that wars or violent conflicts should be happening or are good. I own a few handguns myself and find them pretty cool, even though I'm generally against gun violence. I hope I never have to use them during a home invasion but given where I live it's always better safe than sorry.
Spider3PO

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 8:37 am Reply with quote
light turner wrote:
Anti-war is an easy stance to take when you never have to lift a finger yourself or suffer the consequences for it.

In the real world, there is such thing as nuance. I can be anti-war, yet understand that there is such thing as necessary action for the greater good.

For instance, just cause I don't like to fight doesn't mean I've never put in the time to learn self defense. I have.

I also understand a Doctor amputating a limb that can't be saved. That is for the greater good. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

My country is helping Ukraine. I understand why. If I was a politician, I'd probably make similar choices in their shoes.

If Russia wins the war, that's bad for everyone except Putin and his allies. Doesn't mean I want there to be a war.

War should be limited to fiction and history books. We should all be living in peace. But unfortunately, war is still around.

light turner wrote:
That's kind of the point of Japan's Article 9...

I'm not weighing in on Article 9. The sovereign right to wage war or not, that's not what I came here for. My point of contention was the Professor's remark about Gundam depicting war as a cool thing as if it is a major contributor to influencing people to be pro-war. That's what I disagree with.

As I recall in the final arc of Gundam SEED it being a power fantasy where Kira and his friends fighting both Earth and the Space Colony forces to disable them. Preventing them from fighting. Effectively grinding the war in the show to a halt. That to me says anti-war.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Deleted references toxic terminology.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zaphdash

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 11:01 am Reply with quote
zalminar wrote:
zaphdash wrote:
The argument is not that watching Gundam will make individuals want to join the military, it's that works like Gundam have the aggregate effect of making their audiences more receptive to fighting a war... But not wanting to personally fight a war doesn't stop people from supporting politicians who saber rattle or deploy military force to resolve (or incite) conflicts.

Of course, Gundam does routinely go out of its way to show those politicians are evil racists/fascists (Gihren, Patrick Zala), all-around-jerks (the whole Earth Federation leadership), pathetic man-children (Char), or all of the above (Azrael).

Yes, and it shows that the appropriate response to these politicians is violence. And I mean, you can agree or disagree with whether the show is correct about it, that's fine. I'm not necessarily here to say that every real world conflict can be solved non-violently, particularly if at least one party has already unilaterally resorted to violence, but Gundam is an entirely made-up story, so depicting a conflict that must be resolved through violence is an intentional choice. And that's fine, I'm not passing judgment on the decision itself, tell whatever story you want, but personally, I find it difficult to label something "anti-war" when its fundamental message is actually "some problems can only be solved with war." I'm not condemning Gundam, I'm disagreeing that it deserves its reputation for being anti-war.

Quote:
zaphdash wrote:
These are meant to show us the "horrors" of war, but they are, by and large, abstractions that obscure the real horror. They are depicted from afar, or even just described in dialogue, or we are shown their aftermath, but in any case, we are generally shielded from the suffering that occurs as these events are actually taking place... Gundam shows instead denounce the specific perpetrators of the atrocities and justify waging war against them.

The original MSG opens with Fraw's Mother and Grandfather killed in an explosion, with her running over to sob over their lifeless bodies. Gundam SEED with some frequency depicts people screaming in terror as sci-fi weapons cause their bodies to burst and explode; a character is decapitated, and we are shown a character's pilot suit filling up with their blood. Victory features the protagonist spoiler[carrying his mother's severed head]. F91 and Hathaway depict the pandemonium and fear of civilians fleeing for their lives while caught in a robot fight. The entire Saji/Louise storyline from the first season of 00 is meant to give a concrete attachment to those horrors when they arrive. And a good number of those are perpetrated by no one in particular (opening of MSG, F91) or an ostensible protagonist (SEED, Hathaway).

Sure, in some cases specific characters are killed and we see surviving characters grapple with their deaths (and of course, it happens far more often than just with Fraw's family or the moment you referred to in Victory), which I acknowledged immediately after the part that you quoted. In the part you are quoting, I was specifically talking about Gundam's affection for weapons of mass destruction. And Gundam does lean on such weapons -- both real world ones like nuclear and chemical weapons, and increasingly fanciful ones like colony drops, asteroids, colony lasers, underground microwave arrays, nanomachines, psychic amplifiers, etc etc etc -- to drive home its "war is bad" message while depicting a very sanitized version of war. Personally, what I get out of the way Gundam introduces and uses these weapons tends to be more a sense of the epic scale of the conflict, the excitement and high stakes of the action happening on screen, etc -- the relative lack of concrete suffering shown as a result of their use makes it harder for me to take a "war is bad" message from them (this might seem like a double standard or catch 22, but I do actually find the exploding bodies in SEED to just be gratuitously violent for violence's sake -- maybe that's because it exclusively happens briefly to nameless background figures rather than to real characters, and it's as a result of exotic sci-fi weapons that don't exist in the real world, but in any case, I distinctly remember even watching SEED as it was airing and getting the impression more that Fukuda was going for a less kiddy feel than that he was really illustrating how bad this war is; feel free to agree or disagree with that as you will, but that's the impression the show left on me).

Characters do occasionally die particularly violent deaths (your Victory example is one of them), and most characters' deaths, even when quick and painless, leave some kind of impact on the survivors. It wasn't my intent to suggest that Gundam never shows anything bad happen as a result of war. I have no doubt that the intentions of Tomino in his shows and of his successors in the various other shows are to denounce war (based on the quote in the article, it seems that Aisaka feels the same way). I just think that, on balance, the depiction of the tools of combat as cool, combatants as heroes, and war as a necessary problem-solving tool weigh just as heavily as Fraw crying over her family. Nobody (or at least not me, and I presume not Aisaka) is accusing Gundam of being pro-war. But I do question how anti-war it really is.

Quote:
It's also not as if a certain level of abstraction and detachment isn't also an effective means of conveying a message. The way a story can casually treat horrific consequences is capable of conveying just as much as laboring over the details. A story that personalizes and particularizes all of its atrocities turns us away from establishing empathy in realistic circumstances and confronting systematic and structural outcomes.

Sure, but in the particular case of Gundam, I feel that the abstraction sanitizes the war and does not convey a particularly strong anti-war message. The story of Gundam itself is told on too epic a scale to personalize every tragedy, but I don't believe Gundam strikes a particularly effective balance here. That being said, I've actually just begun a rewatch in diegetic chronological order, and I should be open here that it's been 10+ years since I last watched many of these shows (and in some cases, much longer than that), so in the coming months (/years, if I stick with it long enough to get through everything), maybe I'll reevaluate. For now, the only thing I've gotten through on my rewatch is the Origin, that's the only one that's fresh in my mind, and I absolutely stand by all that I've said so far as it applies to the Origin, but if my memory is not being as fair to some of the other shows, well, I guess I will find that out soon enough.

Quote:
zaphdash wrote:
Gundam largely spares us from the more "mundane" horrors of real war -- arbitrary executions, prison camps, starvation of civilian populations, mass rape, and so on

I mean it is aimed towards children, so I dunno what exactly you expect, but even then, Gundam goes pretty hard on a lot of these. Victory Gundam has way more attempted rape than I'd expect for a show for elementary school children (which is to say it has any at all). It also has torture, execution by guillotine, and the sexual assault of a prisoner (which is admittedly often memed, but in the context of the show is much more unsettling). MSG has Amuro return to his home, only to find it occupied by soldiers (from his own side, no less) who assault him and are all around cruel bullies and petty tyrants. Unicorn has (off-screen but explicitly mentioned) the massacre of an occupied town and child prostitution.

I don't necessarily "expect" anything. I think you are misunderstanding me, because I am not trying to say that Gundam should be anything other than what it is. It can be whatever its creators want it to be. Despite the points I'm trying to make in this thread, I enjoy the franchise, which is why I've seen it and am rewatching it and can speak so much about it in the first place. All I'm saying is that Gundam, as it actually exists, is not particularly "anti-war." I think it is important to be cognizant of the ways in which Gundam falls short of genuinely conveying an anti-war message, particularly because it is so commonly accepted as being anti-war, but I don't believe it is obliged to convey that message (it would be good at least for it not to be overtly pro-war, and as I said above, I don't believe that it is).

Quote:
zaphdash wrote:
[Macross 7] does depict war itself as a self-perpetuating cycle of violence that if not broken leads inevitably to oblivion, whereas most mecha shows (Gundam included) depict it instead as the perhaps unsavory but nonetheless necessary solution to otherwise intractable conflicts

Yeah, but no. SEED, Turn A, and Unicorn are all explicitly about war as a self-perpetuating cycle of violence, and that theme lurks under much of the rest of the franchise. The big picture of the UC timeline is about the whole planet literally dying because humanity can't break that cycle, and the conflict between the people who stare into that abyss and choose nihilism or hope.

That's fair enough, but in each UC show (and in each of the alternate universe ones, for that matter), the discrete conflict at the heart of that specific show is still ultimately resolved with violence. In SEED, spoiler[Kira and Athrun realize the senselessness of their own conflict with each other and the losses they've had to endure as a result of it -- which is good! -- but then they just join forces to turn their capacity for violence against what they have determined to be the real sources of evil and conflict in the world, and the conflict isn't resolved until those people are killed.] Turn A I think takes a decent stab at trying to reject violence, but the show ultimately still concludes with a big robot fight between the protag and the villain (who is basically a warmongering caricature). I have mixed feelings about Unicorn in general because the big reveal about what Laplace's Box is was so incredibly stupid, but I otherwise don't really remember how it ended (with a big fight to eliminate all the bad people in typical Gundam fashion or what), so I'll just give it to you as a valid counterexample. Throw Unicorn in with 0080 and Macross 7 if you want, but I'd be reluctant to weigh it very heavily against the dozens of other Gundam works that had come out in the preceding 30+ years before it in declaring that Gundam as a franchise should be construed as genuinely anti-war.

Spider3PO wrote:
zaphdash wrote:
The argument is not that watching Gundam will make individuals want to join the military, it's that works like Gundam have the aggregate effect of making their audiences more receptive to fighting a war.

Right, another way to interpret someone growing up to be pro-war (also in my original post). And like I said then, no it doesn’t. Gundam isn’t pro-war propaganda. At worst, it might desensitize the audience towards violence. That’s no different then alot of other modern media.

I don't think Gundam is uniquely bad in this respect, so you're right that it's no different than a lot of other media, but I do think that Gundam does undercut its own ostensible "anti-war" message in all the ways that I've already described, and there's no particular reason not to call that out.

Quote:
zaphdash wrote:
It isn't really clear from the ANN article exactly what Aisaka's broader point was...

Which has me wondering why you’re so defensive of him? I can only respond to the quote posted. As for how I responded, his hot take simply sound all too familiar to me. I’ve been hearing similar statements towards media blaming it for a rise in violence and/or crime since the 90’s. Of course this sort of thing has been going on for a lot longer.

I wasn’t insulting him or his work. I’m just tired of seeing the blame shifted onto fiction whether it’s anime, video games, or whatever.

I'm not defensive of him and I don't care what he thinks, but it was his quote that spurred this discussion, and outside of any broader context, if the quote we're talking about just boils down to "Gundam's creators meant to be anti-war, but the show's depiction of war undermines that message," then I agree with that and will argue it from my own perspective. I saw your post, which I read to essentially say "I like Gundam and I don't want to be deployed to a war zone, so this connection doesn't really exist," as being a poorly reasoned but not uncommon take, and I addressed it based on my own opinions on the matter, not in the interest of defending an author I had never heard of before reading this article.

Quote:
zaphdash wrote:
You don't necessarily have to want to go fight the war yourself, and you probably don't, nor do most people. But not wanting to personally fight a war doesn't stop people from supporting politicians who saber rattle or deploy military force to resolve (or incite) conflicts.

Regardless of fiction consumed, there will always be some people who support a politician’s call to war. Especially in countries with questionable politics in which citizens live in police states and are fed daily propaganda through TV. While having their internet limited to only what their government wants them to see.

I do not see Gundam as that type of fiction to be any kind of major contributor to pro-war sentimentality. And I have no desire nor the time to go into great detail why. So we’ll have to agree to disagree.

If you don't feel like discussing it, that's your prerogative, though I'm not sure why you are participating in the thread at all in that case. I will respond anyway, because I do feel like discussing it: shows like Gundam don't have to be a "major contributor to pro-war sentimentality," but in the aggregate, when the audience is bombarded with stories with repetitive themes, they do begin to absorb those themes, whether consciously or subconsciously. To pick another example that will surely ruffle some feathers (anyone who feels like responding to this on its merits within the context of this thread, feel free to do so, but please bear in mind what this thread and board are for and don't run too far off the rails with this), but it strikes me as not coincidental that American pro-gun talking points tend to treat real life as if we are all our own John McClanes in a Die Hard movie just waiting to happen as soon as we each are confronted with a "bad guy with a gun" (which, of course, must be inevitable). That doesn't mean that Die Hard is responsible for America's staggering death toll attributable to guns. It doesn't even mean that when you watch Die Hard you become quantifiably more receptive to gun rights. You have presumably guessed where my politics are by now, but I love Die Hard (not all of them, but that's because some of them are just bad movies). But Die Hard, like Gundam, is just one particularly salient example of a broader tendency. Propaganda might be ineffective against individuals, but it does sway aggregate populations, and Americans are constantly bombarded with action movies where "good guys with guns" thwart evil villains. The line between fact and fiction can become blurrier than you expect. I won't pretend to know what typical media consumption is like for your average Japanese person, but I do know that most mecha anime depict characters using their mecha to fight other mecha and solve problems through violence, and the mecha themselves are designed to be visually appealing so that they can also be sold as toys, so within the realm of mecha anime, I think it's fair to surmise that the aggregate effect will be to make the audience more open to war as a solution to problems. Aisaka apparently saw fit to call out Gundam in this regard, from which I can infer that at least one Japanese person thinks these stories are consumed widely enough to be worth discussing.

Quote:
zaphdash wrote:
Gundam, of course, takes it even a step further with its fetishization of enormous body counts...

So do some video games, movies, comics, etc. Etc.

I get what you’re saying, but to me it just sounds like another American politician shouting about violence in some kind of media. Be it video games, movies, tv, or comics.

I mean, if you get what I'm saying, then it could be that you also get what those politicians are saying too and you oppose them because you don't like the message rather than that you actually disagree with it. Unfortunately, things aren't false just because we don't want them to be true. That being said, I am far more skeptical of the impact that any specific work has on any specific individual, so it's actually not necessarily the same thing that the politicians have "shouted about" (though, do they even really shout about that anymore? I'm sure somebody somewhere still does, but overall that complaint feels like a real throwback to the 90s/00s). This might seem counterintuitive, but individuals and populations don't behave the same way. Gundam doesn't have to have demonstrably galvanized somebody to go vote LDP who wouldn't have done so otherwise to nonetheless exert a negative influence at the population level. And it wouldn't be Gundam acting alone here, but Gundam as the big name franchise is a useful avatar for the more general situation of "anti-war" stories that actually romanticize and glorify war and make a population more receptive to the idea of war. And with all the usual caveats that correlation ≠ causation and this is all much more complicated than Gundam, we do see that Japan is becoming much more receptive to the idea of war.
zalminar

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:46 pm Reply with quote
zaphdash wrote:
Yes, and it shows that the appropriate response to these politicians is violence.

Though rarely violence perpetrated by the protagonists; the evil politicians are usually undone by (violent) internal coups and betrayals (warmongering, much like crime, never pays). And the point remains that I don't really think you can argue Gundam contributes to a desensitization to war that breeds support for pro-war politicians when those exact kinds of politicians are depicted so negatively by the show--unless the claim is it leads people to believe political support for warmongers is ok because you can always violently depose them later if things get too bad? Which I guess is... something?

zaphdash wrote:
That's fair enough, but in each UC show (and in each of the alternate universe ones, for that matter), the discrete conflict at the heart of that specific show is still ultimately resolved with violence.

I mean, sure, they don't have an *answer* to the cycle of violence, but that doesn't mean they can't condemn it. Especially when the best example you can muster has the solution of "just sing a magic song," I don't really think you can hold Gundam's lack of concrete solutions to cyclical violence against its anti-war bonafides. You also need to look at the UC timeline as a whole; yes the immediate conflict is (often) concluded with violence, but then the next series shows that resolution didn't really fix anything and just set everything up for more violence--sure, that's the result of production needs to keep cranking out sequels and reset the conflict, but I do think Gundam leans into that structure to further its themes. (As an aside, I'd point out that the "conflict at the heart" of Turn A is not the fight with Ghingham. I also would have thought you'd appreciate his position as a warmongering caricature who literally became that way by watching Gundam shows, and who eventually spoiler[gets defeated by reflexively anti-war space magic goo].)

The problem is that you have an incredibly rigid, narrow, and literal definition of what it means to be an anti-war piece of media (and I'm guessing rather internally inconsistent). You won't seem to tolerate any deviation from a strict didactic approach, nothing that can grapple with contradiction or nuance, no space for metaphor or fiction. The horrors of war must be granular and realistic, but that realism ought not to extend to presenting intractable problems without tidy solutions; anti-war media must be a model of pacifist behavior, never a tragedy.
You also have far too little consideration of the context in which Gundam often sits as a media franchise; sure it may sanitize the depiction of war, but compared to what? Compared to a journalistic account of an actual violent conflict, sure. But compared to other exciting action-adventure violent media directed towards children, absolutely not. Maybe once you have already become desensitized to depictions of violence the x-ray weapons of SEED read as cheap attempts at shock value, but I can vouch for their lasting and visceral impact to an actual child.
Is Gundam the most anti-war thing out there? No. Could it go harder on its anti-war message? Yup. But does that somehow sap it of that message entirely? Does the fact that it doesn't act as a manual to non-violently end a conflict really preclude its ability to condemn violence?

Your primary complaint seems to be that Gundam shows have violent conflicts that eventually end with violence, and that this must definitionally glorify war. That of course requires putting aside that throughout the shows are full of characters sad, crying, broken, miserable, and lamenting the state of affairs they're in. That the shows don't end with fireworks and victory celebrations but everyone essentially just thankful they've survived the preceding mess. That in the end the wars don't accomplish anything but killing a bunch of people and laying the seeds of more violence to come. That the people advocating for and profiting from war are shown to be craven villains. But because the space magic afforded in the shows doesn't just solve all the problems, and the wars drag on to an inevitable violent conclusion, it must be glorifying all that violence. That you could watch almost any Gundam series and come away with the sense that it is trying to say "All that violence? More of that please, it was glorious and necessary" is absurd to the point of parody.

zaphdash wrote:
I don't necessarily "expect" anything. I think you are misunderstanding me, because I am not trying to say that Gundam should be anything other than what it is. It can be whatever its creators want it to be... All I'm saying is that Gundam, as it actually exists, is not particularly "anti-war."

I mean, you also said that you think Tomino and other Gundam creators had the intention to make something that was anti-war, so you need to have some sense that those creators failed miserably at what they were trying to do and that it in fact cannot be what they want it to be.
LaraCK

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 5:07 am Reply with quote
Spider3PO wrote:
light turner wrote:
Anti-war is an easy stance to take when you never have to lift a finger yourself or suffer the consequences for it.

In the real world, there is such thing as nuance. I can be anti-war, yet understand that there is such thing as necessary action for the greater good.

For instance, just cause I don't like to fight doesn't mean I've never put in the time to learn self defense. I have.

I also understand a Doctor amputating a limb that can't be saved. That is for the greater good. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

My country is helping Ukraine. I understand why. If I was a politician, I'd probably make similar choices in their shoes.

If Russia wins the war, that's bad for everyone except Putin and his allies. Doesn't mean I want there to be a war.

War should be limited to fiction and history books. I tried to cover this topic in my dissertation, but it turned out to be difficult, and I needed professional help. I was advised to use the services of https://edubirdie.com/dissertation-proposal-help and I can tell that the writer meets the highest standards and covered all my needs. The main idea that I wanted to convey is that we should all live in peace. But unfortunately, war is still around.

I like your arguments.
Every normal person understands that war is bad, and the romanticization of war is beneficial only to those who want to unleash this war. This is where propaganda begins. However, I don't think the authors of Gundams tried to do something like that. It seems to me that they simply expressed their vision and perhaps tried to convey their position to young people in such a way that it was easier to perceive.

Last edited by LaraCK on Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:52 am Reply with quote
LaraCK wrote:
Spider3PO wrote:
light turner wrote:

[i]In the real world...

I like your arguments.
Every normal person understands that war is bad, and the romanticization of war is beneficial only to those who want to unleash this war. This is where propaganda begins. However, I don't think the authors of Gundams tried to do something like that. It seems to me that they simply expressed their vision and perhaps tried to convey their position to young people in such a way that it was easier to perceive.

I think this is the other side that people often ignore about entertainment media. At the end of the day, Gundam isn't an anti-war anthology documentary series. As I was getting at in an earlier post, they still need to sell a show to a younger audience. I can bet you barely a third of the folks that have watched Gundam have actually watched any in-depth coverage of any real war at that age. That's sort of the point of a series like Gundam - to get the concepts into you mind so you explore them further, not to be a complete end-to-end dissertation on war. Gundam Wing isn't great because it solves war with the idea of total pacifism, but because it stretches the bounds of that concept and offers a display of what that might look like, without boring an audience to tears. UC's central concepts about the nature of war and its links to nature and the Earth are flawed, but the whole "point" is to get the audience to at least think about a subject they might otherwise not have put any thought into, and at an age where their mind are still mostly open to learning and growing.
zaphdash

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2022 11:41 am Reply with quote
zalminar wrote:
zaphdash wrote:
Yes, and it shows that the appropriate response to these politicians is violence.

Though rarely violence perpetrated by the protagonists; the evil politicians are usually undone by (violent) internal coups and betrayals (warmongering, much like crime, never pays). And the point remains that I don't really think you can argue Gundam contributes to a desensitization to war that breeds support for pro-war politicians when those exact kinds of politicians are depicted so negatively by the show--unless the claim is it leads people to believe political support for warmongers is ok because you can always violently depose them later if things get too bad? Which I guess is... something?

I think you are looking for -- and/or believe I am positing -- a more direct correspondence than actually exists. The point is not that Gundam portrays Gihren Zabi or Patrick Zala or Gym Ghingnham in any kind of positive light or otherwise suggests that voters should support their real-life analogues for any reason. Gundam is not a pro-fascist show. The point is that, in depicting a "cool" (as the quote in the article put it), sanitized version of war in which good necessarily must violently struggle with, but will ultimately overcome, evil, the show subtly nudges audiences in the direction of believing 1) that the reality of war isn't so bad, and 2) that war can be a good thing, insofar as it can be used to achieve good ends. That media can have the effect of sanitizing war and making it more palatable for audiences is not especially novel, whether you personally want to agree with it or not (there is even a persistent delusion in some Americans that a nuclear war can be "won," an argument that just resurfaced a few months ago on the putrid opinion pages of the Wall Street Journal). Then #2 in particular can also mix with other, independently-held beliefs -- such as, say, nationalism -- in insidious ways. The end result is not that people consciously think to themselves, "I should vote for Neo-Hitler so that I can later violently depose him," which is as silly as you intended it to sound, it's that people get bombarded with messages that such-and-such country poses a threat to us, we're not safe unless we take action, and then they vote for Neo-Hitler because he's the one who more persuasively appeals to base instincts to arm ourselves, and maybe even take preemptive action, for the sake of our security. Gundam doesn't singlehandedly do this to people, as I've repeatedly labored to convey, but it is a prominent member of a broader media ecosystem that portrays war as a reasonable -- and maybe the only -- solution to conflict, and one that really won't be so bad.

The fact that Gundam is, as you have repeatedly pointed out, for children doesn't absolve it of any responsibility here. On the contrary, the media that children consume, along with the various other influences on them, help build the foundation for their worldview and beliefs that they will hold later into their lives. Much of what we accept as "common sense" is really just received wisdom that we absorbed so early in our lives that it doesn't even occur to us to question it later on. It would be good if fewer people accepted war as a necessary thing that maybe isn't really that bad anyway.

Quote:
zaphdash wrote:
That's fair enough, but in each UC show (and in each of the alternate universe ones, for that matter), the discrete conflict at the heart of that specific show is still ultimately resolved with violence.

I mean, sure, they don't have an *answer* to the cycle of violence, but that doesn't mean they can't condemn it.

I don't believe the persistence of conflict within the UC timeline is as much a condemnation of the cycle of violence as it is an attempt to keep making money off of more sequels and sidestories in a successful franchise (you acknowledge this yourself further down in your post).

Quote:
Especially when the best example you can muster has the solution of "just sing a magic song," I don't really think you can hold Gundam's lack of concrete solutions to cyclical violence against its anti-war bonafides.

You are again looking for a more direct correlation than I am suggesting or than need actually exist. I wouldn't consider Macross 7 anti-war because it proposes the solution of "sing a magical song," I'd consider it anti-war because the main character consistently rejects violence throughout the entire story, frequently catching shit for it from other characters and the franchise's fans alike, even as continuous violence causes the situation to persistently deteriorate, until finally, as the universe is essentially on the cusp of ending, his message breaks through, others join him in rejecting violence as well, and the conflict is resolved. Macross 7 is not a road map to peace in the Middle East or something, but it is an anti-war story.

Quote:
You also need to look at the UC timeline as a whole; yes the immediate conflict is (often) concluded with violence, but then the next series shows that resolution didn't really fix anything and just set everything up for more violence--sure, that's the result of production needs to keep cranking out sequels and reset the conflict, but I do think Gundam leans into that structure to further its themes.

You are free to think that. I see the UC timeline as an ongoing cash grab of increasingly self-contained stories that each feature cool, flashy new tech (not always super compatible with earlier-released but later-set stories) used to beat the bad guys in the show and sell toys in the real world.

Quote:
(As an aside, I'd point out that the "conflict at the heart" of Turn A is not the fight with Ghingham. I also would have thought you'd appreciate his position as a warmongering caricature who literally became that way by watching Gundam shows, and who eventually spoiler[gets defeated by reflexively anti-war space magic goo].)

You're right that the conflict at the heart of Turn A is not the fight with Ghingnham, who doesn't even appear until the show is 3/4 over. I've long considered Turn A my favorite Gundam series (if memory serves, I once upon a time used the mech itself as my avatar on these forums), though one for which I am way overdue for a rewatch. It's a good show and its intended anti-war message is more fully realized than in most other Gundam shows, with the weird mecha designs that turned fans off, Loran's consistent reluctance to fight (contrast with Sochie's eagerness, which Loran frequently tries to rein in), the repeated use of the Gundam for purely defensive or even entirely non-combat uses, and of course, the portrayal of Gym Ghingnham that you describe above. I still consider it a bit unfortunate that Turn A introduced a character like Ghingnham at all, though -- a big baddie to unite the other parties in a climactic final battle, in typical Gundam fashion. More than holding Ghingnham out as fully disqualifying Turn A from consideration as an "anti-war" show, though, my real qualm would be with the argument that this one divisive and comparatively less-watched show, released twenty years into the franchise, now more than twenty years ago, suffices to brand the Gundam franchise in general as "anti-war." The overwhelming balance of the franchise, including the stuff that is watched by the widest audience, still falls on the side of flashy robots doing cool stuff to violently overcome something close to "pure evil" (notwithstanding the franchise's frequent attempts to paint nuance into either side's grunts, it's hard to characterize many of the political villains and military leaders otherwise), all in the interest of selling toys. If you want to hash out which specific shows are more "anti-war" than others, sure, ok, go for it, but the broad strokes of the franchise as a whole do, as the quote in the original article said, portray war as "cool."

Quote:
The problem is that you have an incredibly rigid, narrow, and literal definition of what it means to be an anti-war piece of media (and I'm guessing rather internally inconsistent). You won't seem to tolerate any deviation from a strict didactic approach, nothing that can grapple with contradiction or nuance, no space for metaphor or fiction. The horrors of war must be granular and realistic, but that realism ought not to extend to presenting intractable problems without tidy solutions; anti-war media must be a model of pacifist behavior, never a tragedy.

I think it is iffy for you to tell me what I believe since you have misconstrued so much of what I have said. Whether that's my failure as a writer or yours as a reader or both in some measure, it has been a pretty consistent theme of these posts. I am not attempting to define "what it means to be an anti-war piece of media." I'm only explaining why I feel that Gundam, in particular, falls short. It is not because of any one aspect of the franchise that I find its anti-war bonafides lacking but the totality of the work. This is not a normative judgment of the franchise. I am not saying Gundam is bad (in either a moral sense or as a piece of media). I am simply saying that the franchise does not read as particularly "anti-war" to me. I believe that message is intended to be there, for sure, but I believe it is also considerably muddled by other elements of the story. Frankly, Gundam itself does not attempt to seriously engage with "intractable problems without tidy solutions" either. The intractable problem at the core of Gundam as you see it would, I believe (feel free to correct me if I am wrong), be the supposed tendency in human nature to continuously engage in violent conflict. But Gundam has little to say about this beyond acknowledging it as a reason to have another show. Meanwhile, as I've mentioned before, the discrete conflict within each show is resolved (if not "tidily" then at least straightforwardly) through warfare.

Quote:
You also have far too little consideration of the context in which Gundam often sits as a media franchise; sure it may sanitize the depiction of war, but compared to what? Compared to a journalistic account of an actual violent conflict, sure. But compared to other exciting action-adventure violent media directed towards children, absolutely not. Maybe once you have already become desensitized to depictions of violence the x-ray weapons of SEED read as cheap attempts at shock value, but I can vouch for their lasting and visceral impact to an actual child.
Is Gundam the most anti-war thing out there? No. Could it go harder on its anti-war message? Yup. But does that somehow sap it of that message entirely? Does the fact that it doesn't act as a manual to non-violently end a conflict really preclude its ability to condemn violence?

It's not necessary to compare Gundam to anything. I am not making comparative judgments here. I am simply evaluating Gundam on its own merits as I see them. Its sanitized depiction of war is one part of the whole, and the whole collectively amounts to yes, explicit condemnations of war, but condemnations that are implicitly undermined by the content of the show. It is not "sapped of that message entirely." The franchise is still full of characters musing about how war is hell and philosophizing over the merits of pacifism, enduring deaths of friends and loved ones, and getting generally just ground down, and that's not nothing. It's just also not everything.

Quote:
Your primary complaint seems to be that Gundam shows have violent conflicts that eventually end with violence, and that this must definitionally glorify war. That of course requires putting aside that throughout the shows are full of characters sad, crying, broken, miserable, and lamenting the state of affairs they're in. That the shows don't end with fireworks and victory celebrations but everyone essentially just thankful they've survived the preceding mess. That in the end the wars don't accomplish anything but killing a bunch of people and laying the seeds of more violence to come. That the people advocating for and profiting from war are shown to be craven villains. But because the space magic afforded in the shows doesn't just solve all the problems, and the wars drag on to an inevitable violent conclusion, it must be glorifying all that violence. That you could watch almost any Gundam series and come away with the sense that it is trying to say "All that violence? More of that please, it was glorious and necessary" is absurd to the point of parody.

I don't have a "complaint" about Gundam. I just have observations about what its ultimate message really is. Anything can be absurd if you are so eager to engage in reductio ad absurdum, as you have done more than once, but fundamentally I don't think it is too crazy to ask what message a show has that uses warfare to sell toys.

Quote:
zaphdash wrote:
I don't necessarily "expect" anything. I think you are misunderstanding me, because I am not trying to say that Gundam should be anything other than what it is. It can be whatever its creators want it to be... All I'm saying is that Gundam, as it actually exists, is not particularly "anti-war."

I mean, you also said that you think Tomino and other Gundam creators had the intention to make something that was anti-war, so you need to have some sense that those creators failed miserably at what they were trying to do and that it in fact cannot be what they want it to be.

I think you are misconstruing what "can" means here. My only point was that I was not trying to impose a particular viewpoint on Gundam and argue that the story should have been changed in whichever ways necessary to convey that viewpoint (i.e., "can" in the sense of permission), not that the creators were literally capable of creating precisely the show that they wanted to create. Insofar as Gundam's depiction of war implicitly undermines the more explicit anti-war message they attempted to convey, yes, I would say they "failed" ("miserably"? I won't pile on here) at what they were trying to do. It shouldn't be particularly surprising that they failed to fully execute their vision, either -- this seems to be a very common occurrence in movies and TV in general, whether due to budget and/or scheduling constraints, studio meddling, the restrictions of the format, or whatever other considerations that aren't actually central to the storytelling but nonetheless must be accounted for (e.g., in Gundam's case, toy sales), to say nothing of the creators' own abilities to coherently tell the story they want to tell. In defense of Tomino and all the other Gundam showrunners out there, it is probably exceptionally difficult to tell a purely anti-war tale that also functions effectively as a commercial for toys and models of the weapons in the story. I'm sure they've done the best they can with it, and the result is a blockbuster media franchise that I, personally, have enjoyed watching. But that doesn't mean they ultimately succeeded in conveying an uncompromised anti-war message.
zalminar

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:16 am Reply with quote
zaphdash wrote:
I think you are looking for -- and/or believe I am positing -- a more direct correspondence than actually exists.

No, I'm trying to point out that indirect correspondence exists in the opposite direction too. The notion that media can have diffuse cultural effects is not nearly so unheard of or difficult to understand as you seem to fancy, it's just that it's not an effect that's limited to the single vector of pro-well-maybe-not-"pro"-but-functionally-indistinguishable-from-pro-war sentiment. Just as Gundam can subtly nudge people in the direction of thinking war can sometimes be necessary, it can not-as-subtly nudge them in the direction of thinking warmongering politicians are scumbags (among many other things that are not acquiescence to war). Maybe the former wins out over the latter? But that's an argument you'd need to make, it's not an axiomatic result. I also think it's hard argument to make, that the implicit in this case wins out over the explicit, especially when the implicit-not-anti-war aspects are those most detached from reality (e.g. the cool robots, the fact that you can solve a war by defeating Neo-Hitler when he gets in his giant robot, etc.) and the explicit-anti-war aspects are much more grounded (e.g. the callousness of warmongering politicians, the indiscriminate violence inflicted on civilians, the psychological horror of being forced to commit and bear witness to violence, etc.).

zaphdash wrote:
I don't believe the persistence of conflict within the UC timeline is as much a condemnation of the cycle of violence as it is an attempt to keep making money off of more sequels and sidestories in a successful franchise (you acknowledge this yourself further down in your post).

As the great wise man Diamond Joe Quimby once said: "It can be two things." And indeed, if outside production considerations and intentions were determinative and all-encompassing, all those cool robots aren't as much desensitizing people to violence and romanticizing war as they are just an attempt to make money off selling cool model kits in a successful franchise. Or perhaps Macross 7's rejection of violence isn't as much a plea for pacifism as it is an attempt to shoehorn in more music and drive album sales in a successful franchise.

zaphdash wrote:
You are again looking for a more direct correlation than I am suggesting or than need actually exist. I wouldn't consider Macross 7 anti-war because it proposes the solution of "sing a magical song,"...

No, but I was hoping for a clearer recollection of the arguments you made before (and just saying "there's not a direct correlation" ad nauseum doesn't substitute for an argument), and a bit of comparative analysis. You held up Macross 7 for its depiction of "a self-perpetuating cycle of violence that if not broken leads inevitably to oblivion" claiming Gundam did not do the same, eventually resting the distinction on whether that cycle of violence leading to oblivion continues unabated (Gundam) or is broken via plot-contrivance (Macross 7). My contention is that's sort of a silly distinction. That "war grinds on until the planet is unlivable" is somehow judged more accommodating of war-is-a-good-solution-to-problems than "war grinds on until we decide it doesn't have to" seems a bit counterintuitive.

zaphdash wrote:
I am not attempting to define "what it means to be an anti-war piece of media." I'm only explaining why I feel that Gundam, in particular, falls short.

I'm not sure how you think the definition of X isn't directly implicated in discussing whether something is X or not. It's especially relevant when you've held out Macross 7 as the pinnacle of anti-war mecha anime, while dismissing the generally understood as anti-war Gundam as not even anti-war at all--there's clearly something going on with how you conceive of that concept. Most of the aspects of Gundam that you claim undermine its anti-war messages are likewise abundantly present in Macross 7 (crass commercialism, cool robots, sanitizing war). And as noted above, what you originally cited as the core of Macross 7's message, that "war itself [is] a self-perpetuating cycle of violence that if not broken leads inevitably to oblivion" is reinforced over and over again in the Gundam franchise. That one could not even be anti-war at all but the other is an exemplar of the genre means that the whole of the matter must be in the difference between the two. And that difference seems to boil down to what I was attempting to articulate--that you seem to require a literal non-violent solution to war, no matter how contrived, to maintain a coherent anti-war message.

zaphdash wrote:
It's not necessary to compare Gundam to anything. I am not making comparative judgments here. I am simply evaluating Gundam on its own merits as I see them.

I mean, you *do* need to make comparisons, pretending that you can't only stunts your analysis. Gundam's "own merits" don't exist in a vacuum, but rather those merits need to be evaluated within a context (and those merits extend to its ability to complicate received narratives about violence and war for a younger audience). There isn't some amorphous neutral perspective from which to evaluate a piece of media, see if it checks off some objective list of anti-war traits engraved on stone tablets, and call it an analysis. Things need to be seen within the context in which they exist; if you're coming from an environment suffused with media that portrays war as a fun, heroic adventure (Star Wars is the clearest example here that comes to mind) then Gundam isn't sanitizing war but rather doing the opposite, scratching at and peeling back those layers of sanitization.

zaphdash wrote:
Its sanitized depiction of war is one part of the whole, and the whole collectively amounts to yes, explicit condemnations of war, but condemnations that are implicitly undermined by the content of the show. It is not "sapped of that message entirely." The franchise is still full of characters musing about how war is hell and philosophizing over the merits of pacifism, enduring deaths of friends and loved ones, and getting generally just ground down, and that's not nothing. It's just also not everything.

But how? Why? That there are implicit undercurrents in Gundam that are in tension with the more explicit pieces of its message is not in dispute, the question is why do you conclude that tension resolves so decisively in one direction? Why are whatever seeping background effects and subtext not counterbalanced or even overwritten by the plain text of the franchise? Why does "not nothing" seem to mean "practically nothing"?

zaphdash wrote:
I don't have a "complaint" about Gundam.

I think you are misconstruing what "complaint" means here; I mean it in the sense of claiming something has deleterious effects on society, that it fails to live up to and in fact completely undermines its creators' intentions, and that it has a grossly unearned reputation for its supposed virtues. That kind of complaint, not the other kind.

zaphdash wrote:
Anything can be absurd if you are so eager to engage in reductio ad absurdum

(Leaving aside that's not how reductio ad absurdum works) I don't really think it's "reductio ad absurdum" to restate your claims in a mildly more provocative manner and set them alongside descriptive statements that provide evidence against them. That Gundam glorifies war and promotes violence as necessary are things you have claimed explicitly and repeatedly here (and continue to do so). If you think those statements are an attempt to draw an unreasonably absurd conclusion from your arguments then perhaps you have found evidence for your "failure as a writer." (If you want to quibble with the "is trying to say" part because the creators did not intend to give it the message you claim it has, just substitute "is saying" and I think the point stands.)

zaphdash wrote:
I don't think it is too crazy to ask what message a show has that uses warfare to sell toys.

I see your edgy crass-commercialization-corrupts-everything take and raise you a double-reverse-edgy "actually it's a show that finances an anti-war message by selling toys" take. And I'm only half-kidding, I played with the cool robot toys which led to watching the shows and being exposed to the "war is hell" angle (and in particular SEED's "the union of racism, the military industrial complex, and the state is hell" version); I imagine I'm not alone.
zaphdash

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:26 pm Reply with quote
zalminar wrote:
zaphdash wrote:
I think you are looking for -- and/or believe I am positing -- a more direct correspondence than actually exists.

No, I'm trying to point out that indirect correspondence exists in the opposite direction too. The notion that media can have diffuse cultural effects is not nearly so unheard of or difficult to understand as you seem to fancy, it's just that it's not an effect that's limited to the single vector of pro-well-maybe-not-"pro"-but-functionally-indistinguishable-from-pro-war sentiment. Just as Gundam can subtly nudge people in the direction of thinking war can sometimes be necessary, it can not-as-subtly nudge them in the direction of thinking warmongering politicians are scumbags (among many other things that are not acquiescence to war). Maybe the former wins out over the latter? But that's an argument you'd need to make, it's not an axiomatic result. I also think it's hard argument to make, that the implicit in this case wins out over the explicit, especially when the implicit-not-anti-war aspects are those most detached from reality (e.g. the cool robots, the fact that you can solve a war by defeating Neo-Hitler when he gets in his giant robot, etc.) and the explicit-anti-war aspects are much more grounded (e.g. the callousness of warmongering politicians, the indiscriminate violence inflicted on civilians, the psychological horror of being forced to commit and bear witness to violence, etc.).

zaphdash wrote:
Its sanitized depiction of war is one part of the whole, and the whole collectively amounts to yes, explicit condemnations of war, but condemnations that are implicitly undermined by the content of the show. It is not "sapped of that message entirely." The franchise is still full of characters musing about how war is hell and philosophizing over the merits of pacifism, enduring deaths of friends and loved ones, and getting generally just ground down, and that's not nothing. It's just also not everything.

But how? Why? That there are implicit undercurrents in Gundam that are in tension with the more explicit pieces of its message is not in dispute, the question is why do you conclude that tension resolves so decisively in one direction? Why are whatever seeping background effects and subtext not counterbalanced or even overwritten by the plain text of the franchise? Why does "not nothing" seem to mean "practically nothing"?

I don't deny that Gundam conveys other, more anti-war messages. Sure, it condemns self-serving warmongers and war profiteers. As the one-off character Marge's therapist once said: "It's all a rich tapestry." I don't think the one reduces the other to "practically nothing" (though I get the impression that you do, albeit in the opposite direction). I don't think either message necessarily has to "win" over the other. For one thing, these apparently contradictory effects can coexist in the real world. Portraying violence as the easy or best or only solution to conflict can nudge people toward being more accepting of violence even if they don't actually like violence. And portraying warmongering politicians as scumbags can make people hate warmongering politicians, but when presented with a concrete menu of specific politicians to choose from, they may have overriding reasons to select the warmonger anyway ("Hmmm. I don't agree with his Bart-killing policy, but I do approve of his Selma-killing policy!"). (Luckily, that will dovetail nicely with their enhanced predilection for violence.) For another thing, it isn't even necessary for Gundam to be clearly "pro-war" (which, for the nth time, it's not, and I haven't ever argued that it is) for it to be worth calling out that it makes war look "cool," because audiences don't consume Gundam in a vacuum. Gundam, specifically, could present a mixed message (as I believe it does) or even a leaning-anti-war message, but it is part of a much broader media landscape, and if audiences are also watching other things that lean harder on "cool" war and have a weaker countervailing anti-war message, the aggregate effect could be that "cool war" gets reinforced and "war is bad" gets ignored. This is all just conjecture, obviously, suggesting effects that have not been and probably cannot be measured, certainly not down to the specific influence of specific shows, but it serves to illustrate that neither side of Gundam necessarily has to "win" for its "war is cool" elements to be worth discussing. Maybe it's fair to say, in that case, that those other things are guiltier than Gundam and thus more deserving of being called out, but again, Gundam is the big name here.

Anyway, I wouldn't really think it was hard to understand the "diffuse cultural effects" of media if there weren't various people in this thread denying that such effects exist, but you can rest assured that I don't believe I am making any novel arguments here.

Quote:
zaphdash wrote:

As the great wise man Diamond Joe Quimby once said: "It can be two things." And indeed, if outside production considerations and intentions were determinative and all-encompassing, all those cool robots aren't as much desensitizing people to violence and romanticizing war as they are just an attempt to make money off selling cool model kits in a successful franchise. Or perhaps Macross 7's rejection of violence isn't as much a plea for pacifism as it is an attempt to shoehorn in more music and drive album sales in a successful franchise.

Sure, it absolutely can be two things, but I don't believe the UC timeline is two things. Simply heaping more and more war stories into the same timeline doesn't mean you're suddenly making a grand statement about the endless "cycle of violence." It's true that Macross 7 was also made out of commercial considerations. It is commercial media. The difference is that, if you read an anti-war theme into the sheer volume of wars taking place in the UC timeline, that theme is only there out of coincidence, because they decided, for commercial reasons, to keep on making more shows. Macross 7 is a single, self-contained story that rejects war within its own narrative, it doesn't need to be placed within the broader franchise before you can read that theme into it. The distinction between one show vs. many shows doesn't delegitimize any themes the many shows collectively convey, including themes about the "cycle of violence" if you read such themes into them (and you are free to!), but I don't, and I bring up the commercial aspect to explain why there are so many wars in the UC timeline if not to make a statement about the "cycle of violence" -- the answer is straightforward but is not to be found in the text of the shows. The commercial considerations behind Macross 7, on the other hand, are irrelevant in this context.

Quote:
zaphdash wrote:
You are again looking for a more direct correlation than I am suggesting or than need actually exist. I wouldn't consider Macross 7 anti-war because it proposes the solution of "sing a magical song,"...

No, but I was hoping for a clearer recollection of the arguments you made before (and just saying "there's not a direct correlation" ad nauseum doesn't substitute for an argument), and a bit of comparative analysis. You held up Macross 7 for its depiction of "a self-perpetuating cycle of violence that if not broken leads inevitably to oblivion" claiming Gundam did not do the same, eventually resting the distinction on whether that cycle of violence leading to oblivion continues unabated (Gundam) or is broken via plot-contrivance (Macross 7). My contention is that's sort of a silly distinction. That "war grinds on until the planet is unlivable" is somehow judged more accommodating of war-is-a-good-solution-to-problems than "war grinds on until we decide it doesn't have to" seems a bit counterintuitive.

I don't really understand what the point of this paragraph is. I went on to explain why I would characterize Macross 7 as "anti-war" and you cut that part out of your quote in order to suggest that I am not making a real argument. If you just want to shadowbox, I mean, I can go and let you have the thread, just let me know what you're trying to do here.

If you want a comparative analysis though, here is a quick take: within the UC timeline, we see one cohesive story arc of MSG > Zeta > ZZ > CCA (and the myriad sidestories that have been shoehorned into the middle or tacked onto the beginning or end of this arc), then two largely independent stories set decades later, with only vague connections to earlier shows. Unlike in Macross 7, which is a single story about the encounters between the Macross 7 fleet and the Protodeviln in which the ongoing violence between them almost destroys the universe, Gundam F91 presents a fresh conflict unconnected to the Zeon/Neo Zeon conflict of decades prior. Then Victory Gundam fast forwards again, presenting another fresh conflict unconnected to either Zeon/Neo Zeon or Cosmo Babylonia. If you want to include G-Saviour, the pattern only continues, but please let's not include G-Saviour in anything ever. I don't read these stories as talking about a "self-perpetuating cycle of violence that if not broken leads inevitably to oblivion." There's nothing particularly "self-perpetuating" about these conflicts. There is just a general assumption that someone out there will always have the desire to take over the world and the means to try to make it happen (maybe there's a case to be made that violence specifically begets violence during the MSG > CCA arc -- on a personal level, the violence of spoiler[Lalah's death] is at least what drives the Amuro/Char rivalry, but I don't really recall how strong that argument would be on a macro level, so I'll have to see that as I rewatch it). It's also rare (though not unheard of) that the conflicts in Gundam shows actually threaten "oblivion." Take issue with the distinction between "oblivion" and "billions of deaths" if you want, and certainly in the real world it wouldn't be unfair to hold these as functionally the same outcome, but most Gundam series ultimately end on a hopeful (if bittersweet) note as surviving comrades are reunited and peace is restored, the "billions of deaths" just a nugget of background information we wouldn't even know had it not been conveyed by the narrator, the destruction largely cleaned up by the next show unless a wrecked colony "shoal zone" is needed for staging a battle. So no, although the UC timeline clearly has a problem with repetitive violence, I don't believe that it collectively depicts "a self-perpetuating cycle of violence that if not broken leads inevitably to oblivion," though I'm open to reconsidering this as I rewatch the shows or if you have any specific points to raise beyond just the sheer number of conflicts that are set there. We also don't have to keep harping on this one specific phrase that I used to describe a different show. If you want to make the broader point that Gundam is unequivocally "anti-war," you could probably do so without trying to fit it into this very specific box. It's true that I have not provided you an explicit definition of "anti-war" to work with, but you could always provide your own.

And just to back up a little bit to where we started here, I also think, if you are concerned about Gundam making war look "cool," as Aisaka expressed in the article, that "if you watch all of the hundreds of episodes and several movies set in the UC timeline, it will gradually become clear that war is actually terrible" is not a super helpful answer. I know that when I say I don't think Gundam is in aggregate especially anti-war, showing that the collective UC timeline actually functions to reject war could be a suitable counterpoint to that statement, but to recenter on the quote that kicked off this entire thread, it could simultaneously be true that Gundam is anti-war overall and also nevertheless presents a problematic portrayal of war. If that were the case, I might soften my language about Gundam being "not particularly anti-war," but more fundamentally my overall position on this topic, and the side that I'm arguing from in this thread, still wouldn't significantly change. Would we still be having basically this same argument anyway? I have a hunch: yes. So maybe it is not very productive to get super mired in the details of precisely to what extent the whole UC timeline has a message about the "cycle of violence."

Quote:
zaphdash wrote:
I am not attempting to define "what it means to be an anti-war piece of media." I'm only explaining why I feel that Gundam, in particular, falls short.

I'm not sure how you think the definition of X isn't directly implicated in discussing whether something is X or not. It's especially relevant when you've held out Macross 7 as the pinnacle of anti-war mecha anime, while dismissing the generally understood as anti-war Gundam as not even anti-war at all--there's clearly something going on with how you conceive of that concept. Most of the aspects of Gundam that you claim undermine its anti-war messages are likewise abundantly present in Macross 7 (crass commercialism, cool robots, sanitizing war). And as noted above, what you originally cited as the core of Macross 7's message, that "war itself [is] a self-perpetuating cycle of violence that if not broken leads inevitably to oblivion" is reinforced over and over again in the Gundam franchise. That one could not even be anti-war at all but the other is an exemplar of the genre means that the whole of the matter must be in the difference between the two. And that difference seems to boil down to what I was attempting to articulate--that you seem to require a literal non-violent solution to war, no matter how contrived, to maintain a coherent anti-war message.

What I mean is that I'm not attempting to lay down a broad definition of "what it means to be an anti-war piece of media." Of course my opinions about what is or isn't "anti-war" are informed by some implicit notion about what it means to be "anti-war," but I haven't explicitly thought the question through and I'm not trying to do so in this thread. If I want to write an academic treatise on anti-war anime, then yes, I will need to develop a definition. For purposes of arguing on a message board, I'm of a more Potter Stewart-esque "I know it when I see it" mindset. If that was good enough for the Supreme Court, it's good enough for you. Maybe you think that if you can uncover my secret definition of "anti-war" and poke holes in it, I will conclude that you have been right about Gundam all along, but I think I'd actually just reconsider my definition to better fit what "I know when I see," so the question of what "the problem" is with my definition or whether it is internally consistent just strikes me as not a particularly productive tangent to pursue.

Quote:
zaphdash wrote:
It's not necessary to compare Gundam to anything. I am not making comparative judgments here. I am simply evaluating Gundam on its own merits as I see them.

I mean, you *do* need to make comparisons, pretending that you can't only stunts your analysis. Gundam's "own merits" don't exist in a vacuum, but rather those merits need to be evaluated within a context (and those merits extend to its ability to complicate received narratives about violence and war for a younger audience). There isn't some amorphous neutral perspective from which to evaluate a piece of media, see if it checks off some objective list of anti-war traits engraved on stone tablets, and call it an analysis. Things need to be seen within the context in which they exist; if you're coming from an environment suffused with media that portrays war as a fun, heroic adventure (Star Wars is the clearest example here that comes to mind) then Gundam isn't sanitizing war but rather doing the opposite, scratching at and peeling back those layers of sanitization.

Whether Gundam presents a more or less sanitized portrayal of war than some other work is one question, and whether Gundam presents a sanitized portrayal in general is another. Lacking personal firsthand experience of war, I do of course draw on other sources to understand what would constitute a realistic vs. a more sanitized portrayal, but I don't know that this constitutes a "comparison" in the sense that I believe you are arguing, because these other sources are just proxies for reality (albeit proxies I, personally, have to rely on because I haven't experienced it myself), and the question of whether or not the show is "sanitized" is measured against that reality, not against journalism and Star Wars.

Quote:
zaphdash wrote:
I don't have a "complaint" about Gundam.

I think you are misconstruing what "complaint" means here; I mean it in the sense of claiming something has deleterious effects on society, that it fails to live up to and in fact completely undermines its creators' intentions, and that it has a grossly unearned reputation for its supposed virtues. That kind of complaint, not the other kind.

I'd still rather characterize my points as observations than complaints, but do as you like I guess.

Quote:
zaphdash wrote:
Anything can be absurd if you are so eager to engage in reductio ad absurdum

(Leaving aside that's not how reductio ad absurdum works) I don't really think it's "reductio ad absurdum" to restate your claims in a mildly more provocative manner and set them alongside descriptive statements that provide evidence against them. That Gundam glorifies war and promotes violence as necessary are things you have claimed explicitly and repeatedly here (and continue to do so). If you think those statements are an attempt to draw an unreasonably absurd conclusion from your arguments then perhaps you have found evidence for your "failure as a writer." (If you want to quibble with the "is trying to say" part because the creators did not intend to give it the message you claim it has, just substitute "is saying" and I think the point stands.)

(Leaving aside terminally online Twitter reply guy feuds about fallacies) I'm not sure how you can think, after I have repeatedly noted that I don't consider Gundam "pro-war," that "restating" my argument as being that Gundam's message is "All that violence? More of that please, it was glorious and necessary" is really keeping my core thesis intact, just "in a mildly more provocative manner." Most Gundam episodes are structured around exciting battles between robots doing cool and flashy things, sometimes even with silly gimmicks to make things even cooler (F91's afterimages immediately come to mind here, or even just the various transformations that different machines can perform), and our main characters are presented as heroes fighting for good who ultimately save the day, so in those respects, yes, it glorifies combat. And Gundam stories do put their characters into situations in which their only option is to fight and kill, and in that respect they portray violence as necessary. But you extrapolate these points all the way out to a conclusion that I have never claimed (that, far more than nudging audiences toward greater receptiveness toward war, Gundam actively "promotes violence") or even have repeatedly expressly rejected (that Gundam is, in fact, actually pro-war). It has been a running theme in these posts that you don't handle nuance especially well, and man, I don't even think I'm presenting a tremendously nuanced argument here, it's just slightly grayer than the stark black or white that you want it to be. To recap: I think Gundam intends an anti-war message that gets muddled, to the point that I hesitate to characterize the show as "anti-war" anymore, by its fascination with mass violence, its sanitized and "fun" depiction of its subject matter, and the overall narrative arc of its stories. I don't really know how much more clearly I can say it. You disagree, which is great. I don't really care what your opinions are, so keep on keeping on as far as I'm concerned, I'm just here to defend my own.

Quote:
zaphdash wrote:
I don't think it is too crazy to ask what message a show has that uses warfare to sell toys.

I see your edgy crass-commercialization-corrupts-everything take and raise you a double-reverse-edgy "actually it's a show that finances an anti-war message by selling toys" take. And I'm only half-kidding, I played with the cool robot toys which led to watching the shows and being exposed to the "war is hell" angle (and in particular SEED's "the union of racism, the military industrial complex, and the state is hell" version); I imagine I'm not alone.

My take isn't meant to be edgy or even particularly original. In any case, I cannot argue with your own lived experience. It's great that Gundam SEED I guess taught you that war is bad. Though, if you want to talk about examples of sanitizing war, Kira Yamato nonlethally rampaging through battlefields with the invincibility cheat activated is as good a place as any to start.
zalminar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:42 am Reply with quote
zaphdash wrote:
I don't think the one reduces the other to "practically nothing"... I don't think either message necessarily has to "win" over the other.

You have been consistently adamant that Gundam should not be classified as anti-war (though I'm a little unclear, do you think it's pro-war? you've been frustratingly vague on that point). Which ok, sure, but you have held out other pieces of media that have similar tensions and conflicting messages as being decidedly anti-war, so you do think these messages *can* win out over one another, they just don't do so here. You've clearly done some kind of balancing assessment weighing the messages against each other; trying to pretend like it's all unknowable and who's-to-say reads as a little disingenuous at this point.

zaphdash wrote:
For one thing, these apparently contradictory effects can coexist in the real world. Portraying violence as the easy or best or only solution to conflict can nudge people toward being more accepting of violence even if they don't actually like violence. And portraying warmongering politicians as scumbags can make people hate warmongering politicians, but when presented with a concrete menu of specific politicians to choose from, they may have overriding reasons to select the warmonger anyway

I mean, yeah, we can make up any causal chain and have it mean whatever we want. Condemnations of violence can nudge people towards rejection in practice even if they actually think violence sometimes looks cool in fiction. Media that champions non-violent solutions can nevertheless lead people to acquiesce to violence as an option when choosing among concrete options. Anti-war media is often pointless because every choice in a democratic society is just for a warmonger anyway. When presented with depictions of nonviolent solutions to war, people can become more open to escalating violent responses with the understanding de-escalation is always possible. Displaying more realistic aspects like trauma and civilian deaths alongside cool robots makes people reflexively second-guess attempts by political leaders who try to use appeals to cool-war-media to justify manifesting violence in reality. Images of fictional kids traumatized by being involved in a war make people more inclined to reject proposed solutions that involve war even if that one fictional traumatized kid did kill space-Hitler and that was pretty sweet. Sometimes depictions of warmongering politicians as evil makes people less inclined to vote for them. Etc.

zaphdash wrote:
This is all just conjecture, obviously, suggesting effects that have not been and probably cannot be measured, certainly not down to the specific influence of specific shows, but it serves to illustrate that neither side of Gundam necessarily has to "win" for its "war is cool" elements to be worth discussing.

Sure, none of it is falsifiable or even knowable, but man, talking about the vibes in the absence of any concrete reference point sure sounds productive to me.

zaphdash wrote:
The difference is that, if you read an anti-war theme into the sheer volume of wars taking place in the UC timeline, that theme is only there out of coincidence, because they decided, for commercial reasons, to keep on making more shows...

The difference is that, if you read an anti-war theme into the triumph of nonviolence taking place in Macross 7, that theme is only there out of coincidence, because they decided, for commercial reasons, to make music triumph to keep selling more albums. It doesn't delegitimize any themes the show conveys, including themes about "nonviolence" if you read such themes into it (and you are free to!), but I don't, and I bring up the commercial aspect to explain why there are so many non-violent solutions to problems in Macross 7 if not to make a statement about "nonviolence" itself--the answer is straightforward but is not to be found in the text of the shows. The commercial considerations behind Gundam, on the other hand, are irrelevant in this context.

zaphdash wrote:
I don't really understand what the point of this paragraph is.

Oh, I'm aware. I left parts out of the quote that I was not responding to, and which I don't think were responsive to what you had quoted from me originally. I was trying to interrogate your (original) argument for distinguishing Macross 7's anti-war message from Gundam's--in case you've forgotten:
zaphdash wrote:
My hot take is that the most anti-war mecha anime is Macross 7, and I think this plays a large part in why it's maligned by so many people. It's true that Macross 7 doesn't go any deeper into those realistic "horrors of war" than Gundam does, but it does depict war itself as a self-perpetuating cycle of violence that if not broken leads inevitably to oblivion, whereas most mecha shows (Gundam included) depict it instead as the perhaps unsavory but nonetheless necessary solution to otherwise intractable conflicts.

Whether Macross 7 is anti-war was not in dispute, and whether you could marshal some other set of arguments in its favor or write eloquently about its virtues also didn't seem particularly relevant.

So, it seems we do actually need to dig into this now. Because I really don't recall Macross 7 actually having much of a cycle of violence; war doesn't exactly beget more war, violence leading to violence. The Protodeviln arespoiler[ fighting to enslave others to secure a necessary lifeforce], the Macross 7/UN Spacy/Protagonists/Whatever are fighting to not have that happen; the UN Spacy violence isn't leading to the Protodeviln violence (unless you consider spoiler[enslaving a population] not inherently an act of violence, in which case, yikes). Sure, the violence escalates, but it doesn't perpetuate itself, and the very fact that the violence stops once the underlying material reason is shown to not be necessary rather decisively cuts against that idea.
It's hard to see how it's any more cyclical of a conflict than, say, the original MSG. Then the remainder of the prime-UC timeline is all substantially more cyclical, even each taken on their own, as the sides are always initiating new violence in response to past violence. Despite your poor memory (delusion?) that MSG-Zeta-ZZ-CCA are a series of unrelated conflicts that become cyclical only by being arranged sequentially, each conflict is directly born of the violence that came before. Just taking Zeta on its own, we have the victors of the preceding conflict wielding extreme violence against their defeated enemies in the name of preventing a future resurgence of violence, while in parallel a revanchist faction of the defeated seek to rekindle the last conflict--with that latter fight not even ended within the series (despite your insistence on tidy solutions, Zeta ends with the protagonist spoiler[having his mind destroyed] and the war unresolved). Exactly how violence born of a brutal occupation in the aftermath of a war wouldn't be cyclical in its own right is hard to figure out. ZZ features the aforementioned revanchist faction born of the violence from the One Year War, with a side conflict featuring a violent internal struggle for control of Neo-Zeon born of, you guessed it, the violent struggles among the Zabi family for control of Zeon. CCA has Char literally looking at the UC's history of violence and deciding he will solve it once and for all with violence.

zaphdash wrote:
We also don't have to keep harping on this one specific phrase that I used to describe a different show.

I mean, it's *the* specific phrase you used to identify a proper/legitimate/un-muddled/good/better/pick-your-positive-adjective anti-war message in direct contrast to the franchise primarily being discussed here. It also probably is a core part of any self-contained argument in favor of Gundam as an anti-war franchise, especially as it plays directly into the optimism embodied by newtypes and communication/understanding/awareness as the hope that might be able to unwind the knotted threads of violence.

zaphdash wrote:
... but I think I'd actually just reconsider my definition to better fit what "I know when I see," so the question of what "the problem" is with my definition or whether it is internally consistent just strikes me as not a particularly productive tangent to pursue

I mean, sure, you do you, but then there's really no point in communication of any kind if you don't care whether anything you say makes sense or is consistent so long as it comports with your whims at the moment.
Does explain a lot though.

zaphdash wrote:
Whether Gundam presents a more or less sanitized portrayal of war than some other work is one question, and whether Gundam presents a sanitized portrayal in general is another.

And whether Gundam engages in the process of sanitizing war is a third question, and one I think is worthy of much more consideration than you give it.

zaphdash wrote:
I'm not sure how you can think, after I have repeatedly noted that I don't consider Gundam "pro-war," that "restating" my argument as being that Gundam's message is "All that violence? More of that please, it was glorious and necessary" is really keeping my core thesis intact, just "in a mildly more provocative manner."

I mean, sure, you've repeatedly said you don't consider Gundam "pro-war" (and to be clear, I don't think I've actually accused you of claiming that, so your continual invocation of it as a defense is odd). You've also repeatedly said it promotes violence as necessary, makes war look cool, and excitedly indulged in speculation of all the ways Gundam (yes yes, in tandem with other media) can contribute to the propagation of war and violence in the real world. To dig into some specifics, you have said:
zaphdash wrote:
... [Gundam's] fundamental message is actually "some problems can only be solved with war."

Given the assumption that those problems are in the abstract common enough (e.g. war or the looming threat of war, etc.--I'm assuming you didn't mean specifically "some problems" like "sad, crazy, charismatic blond man drops an asteroid on Earth" that are unlikely to occur in reality), and the fact you imagine people reflecting on this fundamental message with regularity--yes, I simplified the statement of that message to violence being necessary. You've also said:
zaphdash wrote:
And it wouldn't be Gundam acting alone here, but Gundam as the big name franchise is a useful avatar for the more general situation of "anti-war" stories that actually romanticize and glorify war and make a population more receptive to the idea of war

If that's not saying it glorifies war, er, well... I mean, maybe you meant that even as the avatar for the category, Gundam still doesn't glorify war, only romanticizes it? Or it does neither? Though then one might question whether it's a useful avatar if it doesn't share the properties of the class of things its representing. And that's leaving aside the continual claims that Gundam makes war look cool, which sure, you can distinguish that from glorifying war (which I imagine, unfortunately, you do), but that's close enough, right? If I had substituted "cool" for "glorious" would you not object so much? Or is the distinction you want to make that glorifying something isn't the same as making it look glorious?
So yes, if your level of nuance requires that categorizing "violence is a necessary solution to some problems" as "violence is necessary" is an absurd overreach, or that glorifying, romanticizing, and making something look cool or glorious are all incomparably distinct and ought never be mistaken for each other, then I am not really interested in engaging with that kind of "nuance."

zaphdash wrote:
Though, if you want to talk about examples of sanitizing war, [Basara Nekki] nonlethally rampaging through battlefields with the invincibility cheat activated is as good a place as any to start.
zaphdash

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:46 pm Reply with quote
zalminar wrote:
zaphdash wrote:
I don't think the one reduces the other to "practically nothing"... I don't think either message necessarily has to "win" over the other.

You have been consistently adamant that Gundam should not be classified as anti-war (though I'm a little unclear, do you think it's pro-war? you've been frustratingly vague on that point). Which ok, sure, but you have held out other pieces of media that have similar tensions and conflicting messages as being decidedly anti-war, so you do think these messages *can* win out over one another, they just don't do so here. You've clearly done some kind of balancing assessment weighing the messages against each other; trying to pretend like it's all unknowable and who's-to-say reads as a little disingenuous at this point.

I don't believe it is unknowable. I believe that when I watch Gundam, my impression of the show is that the various elements I have already mentioned in this thread compromise the anti-war message it ostensibly seeks to convey. I have not carried out an explicit/conscious balancing assessment, I am speaking only of the overall impression the show leaves on me. Clearly, you don't get the same impression. That's fine.

Quote:
zaphdash wrote:
For one thing, these apparently contradictory effects can coexist in the real world. Portraying violence as the easy or best or only solution to conflict can nudge people toward being more accepting of violence even if they don't actually like violence. And portraying warmongering politicians as scumbags can make people hate warmongering politicians, but when presented with a concrete menu of specific politicians to choose from, they may have overriding reasons to select the warmonger anyway

I mean, yeah, we can make up any causal chain and have it mean whatever we want. Condemnations of violence can nudge people towards rejection in practice even if they actually think violence sometimes looks cool in fiction. Media that champions non-violent solutions can nevertheless lead people to acquiesce to violence as an option when choosing among concrete options. Anti-war media is often pointless because every choice in a democratic society is just for a warmonger anyway. When presented with depictions of nonviolent solutions to war, people can become more open to escalating violent responses with the understanding de-escalation is always possible. Displaying more realistic aspects like trauma and civilian deaths alongside cool robots makes people reflexively second-guess attempts by political leaders who try to use appeals to cool-war-media to justify manifesting violence in reality. Images of fictional kids traumatized by being involved in a war make people more inclined to reject proposed solutions that involve war even if that one fictional traumatized kid did kill space-Hitler and that was pretty sweet. Sometimes depictions of warmongering politicians as evil makes people less inclined to vote for them. Etc.

zaphdash wrote:
This is all just conjecture, obviously, suggesting effects that have not been and probably cannot be measured, certainly not down to the specific influence of specific shows, but it serves to illustrate that neither side of Gundam necessarily has to "win" for its "war is cool" elements to be worth discussing.

Sure, none of it is falsifiable or even knowable, but man, talking about the vibes in the absence of any concrete reference point sure sounds productive to me.

I mean if your whole issue now is just gonna be that the actual relationship between watching Gundam and being more receptive toward war hasn't been verifiably demonstrated then just say that. I'll even agree with you on it. The proof is lacking. I don't have any hard data showing that watching Gundam correlates with a society's predilection for going to war. My own belief is that people absorb their worldview from, among other sources, the media they consume, so media that shows war as "cool" or whatever could nudge the audience a little bit more toward feeling that way too. My view is informed from my experiences as an American, observing how many of America's worst traits are reflected in its media (though as I acknowledged way back in my first post, this is a two way street). If you don't agree, then great. If you agree with the principle (that people are influenced by media) but not my application of it here (that making war "cool" could make people more open to war), also great. I entered this thread only to explain the general idea to someone whose takeaway had apparently been "I like Gundam but I don't want to join the military, so this connection doesn't exist." I never claimed to have the proof that this is really what happens, that there is a demonstrable correlation between "cool" war media and society's general belligerence, just that this is the problem I personally see with shows that make war look "cool." If you don't think this is a productive discussion then I don't know why you're even here or what you expected to find in this thread that is all about a dude claiming that Gundam's portrayal of war is problematic.

Quote:
zaphdash wrote:
The difference is that, if you read an anti-war theme into the sheer volume of wars taking place in the UC timeline, that theme is only there out of coincidence, because they decided, for commercial reasons, to keep on making more shows...

The difference is that, if you read an anti-war theme into the triumph of nonviolence taking place in Macross 7, that theme is only there out of coincidence, because they decided, for commercial reasons, to make music triumph to keep selling more albums. It doesn't delegitimize any themes the show conveys, including themes about "nonviolence" if you read such themes into it (and you are free to!), but I don't, and I bring up the commercial aspect to explain why there are so many non-violent solutions to problems in Macross 7 if not to make a statement about "nonviolence" itself--the answer is straightforward but is not to be found in the text of the shows. The commercial considerations behind Gundam, on the other hand, are irrelevant in this context.

Sure, ok. I mean, whether you are willfully missing the point or you genuinely can't understand the distinction I was drawing and why the same distinction doesn't just work in reverse if you flip the titles is of no concern to me. I don't have any particular interest in defending Macross 7 on any other level or protecting it from allegations of commercialism, either, so you can knock yourself out with that if you want.

Quote:
zaphdash wrote:
I don't really understand what the point of this paragraph is.

Oh, I'm aware. I left parts out of the quote that I was not responding to, and which I don't think were responsive to what you had quoted from me originally. I was trying to interrogate your (original) argument for distinguishing Macross 7's anti-war message from Gundam's--in case you've forgotten:
zaphdash wrote:
My hot take is that the most anti-war mecha anime is Macross 7, and I think this plays a large part in why it's maligned by so many people. It's true that Macross 7 doesn't go any deeper into those realistic "horrors of war" than Gundam does, but it does depict war itself as a self-perpetuating cycle of violence that if not broken leads inevitably to oblivion, whereas most mecha shows (Gundam included) depict it instead as the perhaps unsavory but nonetheless necessary solution to otherwise intractable conflicts.

Whether Macross 7 is anti-war was not in dispute, and whether you could marshal some other set of arguments in its favor or write eloquently about its virtues also didn't seem particularly relevant.

I mean, the actual text I had been responding to from you reduced Macross 7 to "just sing a magical song," so it did actually seem pretty relevant to explain where I was coming from. If you are seeking a specific answer, then pose a specific question, but you didn't bother to do that until your follow-up post.

Quote:
So, it seems we do actually need to dig into this now. Because I really don't recall Macross 7 actually having much of a cycle of violence; war doesn't exactly beget more war, violence leading to violence. The Protodeviln arespoiler[ fighting to enslave others to secure a necessary lifeforce], the Macross 7/UN Spacy/Protagonists/Whatever are fighting to not have that happen; the UN Spacy violence isn't leading to the Protodeviln violence (unless you consider spoiler[enslaving a population] not inherently an act of violence, in which case, yikes). Sure, the violence escalates, but it doesn't perpetuate itself, and the very fact that the violence stops once the underlying material reason is shown to not be necessary rather decisively cuts against that idea.
It's hard to see how it's any more cyclical of a conflict than, say, the original MSG. Then the remainder of the prime-UC timeline is all substantially more cyclical, even each taken on their own, as the sides are always initiating new violence in response to past violence. Despite your poor memory (delusion?) that MSG-Zeta-ZZ-CCA are a series of unrelated conflicts that become cyclical only by being arranged sequentially, each conflict is directly born of the violence that came before. Just taking Zeta on its own, we have the victors of the preceding conflict wielding extreme violence against their defeated enemies in the name of preventing a future resurgence of violence, while in parallel a revanchist faction of the defeated seek to rekindle the last conflict--with that latter fight not even ended within the series (despite your insistence on tidy solutions, Zeta ends with the protagonist spoiler[having his mind destroyed] and the war unresolved). Exactly how violence born of a brutal occupation in the aftermath of a war wouldn't be cyclical in its own right is hard to figure out. ZZ features the aforementioned revanchist faction born of the violence from the One Year War, with a side conflict featuring a violent internal struggle for control of Neo-Zeon born of, you guessed it, the violent struggles among the Zabi family for control of Zeon. CCA has Char literally looking at the UC's history of violence and deciding he will solve it once and for all with violence.

What I see in Macross 7 is that violence is met only with violence, Basara's interventions are considered a nuisance, the whole situation continues to spiral, and by the end you even have spoiler[Sivil aligned with Basara but still incapable of responding to the other Protodeviln except with more violence, until at the very climax of the finale, she figures it out and then everyone else does too]. Up until that time, you have Protodeviln trying to suck away spiritia from the 7 fleet and the 7 fleet ignoring the alternative Basara presents in favor of responding with more futile violence. If you don't like my characterization of the conflict as "self-perpetuating," fine, but as maybe an alternative description, I feel that the show portrays violence as something of a Chinese finger trap in that the more that you struggle, the worse it gets. I don't really see that portrayal in Gundam, which I think just takes violence for granted. I still don't feel that this comparison actually needs to be made like this though, because I don't think Macross 7 presents the one and only template for an anti-war story. In any case, those are my thoughts on Macross 7 and I'm not really interested in continuing to litigate the show further. In all honesty, I did originally throw it out there as an intentional provocation, because I know Macross 7 is very divisive just as a show (on this message board, years ago, someone once tried to insult me by saying "you probably like Macross 7," which was funny at the time and still is now), but I've said how I feel about it and why, and now I've learned my lesson about provoking people into arguments I don't actually have the patience to continue.

I didn't describe MSG > Zeta > ZZ > CCA as "a series of unrelated conflicts." I in fact referred to it as one cohesive story arc. I did say that as the UC timeline plods on beyond CCA, it turns into a series of new conflicts unrelated either to the earlier ones or each other, which is true. That the first conflict (or series of connected conflicts if you prefer) ultimately does get resolved but is later followed by further unrelated conflicts doesn't strike me as a specific statement on the "self-perpetuating cycle of violence." I don't think that your arguments here about the MSG-CCA arc are unreasonable, but it's not how I see the overall UC timeline, especially not in its full scope in which these other works are considered as well. Maybe it's fair to say that if I'm going to see that message in Macross 7 standing on its own, then I should also see it in the MSG-CCA arc standing as a collective, but until now, I have been taking "UC timeline" to refer to, well, the whole UC timeline (and anyway, I wouldn't characterize the entire Macross franchise as being about the "cycle of violence" just because of 7 either, but this thread has been tedious enough without introducing another whole franchise into the discussion). MSG-CCA is only one part of one timeline, so it has not been my instinct to attribute characteristics of this one arc to the franchise as a whole. I can grant that could be unfair, given that MSG-CCA is the main part of the main timeline in the franchise, and I don't offer this by way of argument that "MSG-CCA is irrelevant because it's not the whole show" but only to explain where I have been coming from.

Quote:
zaphdash wrote:
We also don't have to keep harping on this one specific phrase that I used to describe a different show.

I mean, it's *the* specific phrase you used to identify a proper/legitimate/un-muddled/good/better/pick-your-positive-adjective anti-war message in direct contrast to the franchise primarily being discussed here. It also probably is a core part of any self-contained argument in favor of Gundam as an anti-war franchise, especially as it plays directly into the optimism embodied by newtypes and communication/understanding/awareness as the hope that might be able to unwind the knotted threads of violence.

Sure, it's the specific phrase I used to describe a different show. But "x is y because of z" doesn't imply that "all x's must be z to be y." I mean, if you feel that Gundam does fit into that same box that I used to describe Macross 7, then by all means, continue to make that argument, but I don't think it is necessary to show that something meets that very specific phrasing to be considered anti-war, so if we'd like to move beyond this one phrase, we can. If you insist on proving me wrong, that Gundam actually is unequivocally anti-war, or whatever it is you are trying to do here, then I'm just trying to make your job a little easier.

Quote:
zaphdash wrote:
... but I think I'd actually just reconsider my definition to better fit what "I know when I see," so the question of what "the problem" is with my definition or whether it is internally consistent just strikes me as not a particularly productive tangent to pursue

I mean, sure, you do you, but then there's really no point in communication of any kind if you don't care whether anything you say makes sense or is consistent so long as it comports with your whims at the moment.
Does explain a lot though.

I'm only describing how people form opinions on things in general and how they use those opinions to develop broader worldviews. You react to stimulus, then maybe you interrogate that reaction to understand why you reacted the way you did, and then maybe you develop principles that could predict how you will react to similar things in the future. I'm at level 2 here with Gundam -- I know the impression that it leaves on me and I know why. I have not proceeded to level 3, a unified and coherent theory of "anti-war media" that I could deploy to characterize anything I've watched. Considering how often people don't bother with that level 3 analysis for things that actually matter, like their political views, I consider it at most a minor offense that I have not formulated a definition to present to you on this anime message board. But if I did try to create such a definition, it would obviously be shaped to account for the opinion I have already formed about Gundam. My reaction was what it was. There are certainly other factors that could cause me to reconsider my opinion of Gundam, such as new information (e.g., when I rewatch the show, if I catch things that I don't currently remember), gaining a new perspective from the more highly-developed views of other people on the same subject, my own changing attitudes/views over time (as previously mentioned, I last watched the MSG > CCA arc 10+ years ago, and I may view it differently now than I did then), etc etc etc, but my own self-formulated definition of "anti-war," in the absence of any other such factors, would be informed by my pre-existing opinions, it would obviously not be developed to conflict with them.

Quote:
zaphdash wrote:
Whether Gundam presents a more or less sanitized portrayal of war than some other work is one question, and whether Gundam presents a sanitized portrayal in general is another.

And whether Gundam engages in the process of sanitizing war is a third question, and one I think is worthy of much more consideration than you give it.

I've already explained why I feel Gundam's presentation of war is sanitized, and hell, you've even agreed, at least to a point -- you acknowledged several posts ago that it sanitizes its depiction of war, at least as it compare to journalism. We're obviously not going to see eye to eye on questions like whether it matters that Gundam is sanitized, to what extent it is sanitized, etc, but whether it is sanitized at all is a question we are already beyond.

Quote:
zaphdash wrote:
I'm not sure how you can think, after I have repeatedly noted that I don't consider Gundam "pro-war," that "restating" my argument as being that Gundam's message is "All that violence? More of that please, it was glorious and necessary" is really keeping my core thesis intact, just "in a mildly more provocative manner."

I mean, sure, you've repeatedly said you don't consider Gundam "pro-war" (and to be clear, I don't think I've actually accused you of claiming that, so your continual invocation of it as a defense is odd).

If you think it's fair to "restate" my point as "All that violence? More of that please, it was glorious and necessary," I don't think it's a stretch to read that as essentially pro-war, so I keep repeating myself here because you don't really seem to be processing the point.

Quote:
You've also repeatedly said it promotes violence as necessary, makes war look cool, and excitedly indulged in speculation of all the ways Gundam (yes yes, in tandem with other media) can contribute to the propagation of war and violence in the real world. To dig into some specifics, you have said:
zaphdash wrote:
... [Gundam's] fundamental message is actually "some problems can only be solved with war."

Given the assumption that those problems are in the abstract common enough (e.g. war or the looming threat of war, etc.--I'm assuming you didn't mean specifically "some problems" like "sad, crazy, charismatic blond man drops an asteroid on Earth" that are unlikely to occur in reality), and the fact you imagine people reflecting on this fundamental message with regularity--yes, I simplified the statement of that message to violence being necessary. You've also said:
zaphdash wrote:
And it wouldn't be Gundam acting alone here, but Gundam as the big name franchise is a useful avatar for the more general situation of "anti-war" stories that actually romanticize and glorify war and make a population more receptive to the idea of war

If that's not saying it glorifies war, er, well... I mean, maybe you meant that even as the avatar for the category, Gundam still doesn't glorify war, only romanticizes it? Or it does neither? Though then one might question whether it's a useful avatar if it doesn't share the properties of the class of things its representing. And that's leaving aside the continual claims that Gundam makes war look cool, which sure, you can distinguish that from glorifying war (which I imagine, unfortunately, you do), but that's close enough, right? If I had substituted "cool" for "glorious" would you not object so much? Or is the distinction you want to make that glorifying something isn't the same as making it look glorious?
So yes, if your level of nuance requires that categorizing "violence is a necessary solution to some problems" as "violence is necessary" is an absurd overreach, or that glorifying, romanticizing, and making something look cool or glorious are all incomparably distinct and ought never be mistaken for each other, then I am not really interested in engaging with that kind of "nuance."

I am running short on time, so I can't get into this as deeply as I otherwise would have. I was speaking broadly when I used the phrase "glorify war" in that earlier post. There are ways in which I might say that Gundam "glorifies war," but it's not my position that Gundam as a whole believes that war is a "glorious" endeavor. It portrays the battlefield exploits of people who are meant to be considered war heroes, or at least ace pilots (whether you consider an ace pilot an ipso facto war hero is I guess up to you), which I think does "glorify" war to some extent, but I don't believe it portrays the war overall as "glorious." I do think this distinction should have become clear enough as I have further defined my position as this thread has continued, but if not, then, well, ok, don't know what else to tell you. Sorry, I guess.

Quote:
zaphdash wrote:
Though, if you want to talk about examples of sanitizing war, [Basara Nekki] nonlethally rampaging through battlefields with the invincibility cheat activated is as good a place as any to start.

Sure, but I acknowledged even in the very beginning that Macross 7 is no more realistic in its depiction of war than any Gundam show -- in fact, it is obviously considerably less realistic. But it's also a completely different type of story, and I take different things away from it than I take away from Gundam. All these weird little gotchas that you keep trying to pull with Macross 7 are missing the mark.

Anyway, I am leaving town, like, immediately (well, to the airport as soon as I click send on this post), which I mention so that you can either have the last word if you want it or save your breath if you don't feel like producing another post that I probably won't read and almost certainly won't respond to. Either way, have fun.
zalminar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:52 pm Reply with quote
zaphdash wrote:
I mean if your whole issue now is just gonna be that the actual relationship between watching Gundam and being more receptive toward war hasn't been verifiably demonstrated then just say that.
If you agree with the principle (that people are influenced by media) but not my application of it here (that making war "cool" could make people more open to war), also great.

At the risk of sounding like you, you've rather consistently been missing my point here. I agree with the principle and even with your application of it here, I disagree with your limiting of the principle's application to such a narrow circumstance and message. You've emphasized the "war is cool" -> "acceptance of war" interaction to the exclusion of all else, and have come up with increasingly convoluted/hypocritical scenarios to discredit the possibility of messages that run counter to it behaving in a similar manner. My point is that those little scenarios don't amount to much in the way of argument, because one can just as easily make up ones that undermine the "war is cool" -> "acceptance of war" pathway, or that negate the kinds of anti-war messages you do think break through, or that directly contradict your own attempts at counterexamples.

zaphdash wrote:
If you don't think this is a productive discussion then I don't know why you're even here or what you expected to find in this thread that is all about a dude claiming that Gundam's portrayal of war is problematic.

I don't think it's a productive discussion to just throw around claims without any particular regard to whether they connect to anything; that's wordplay, not discussion. As it pertains here, I don't really see "but Gundam makes war cool which is bad!" is a compelling response to "Gundam makes war look cool, which is bad, but that's counterweighed by how its put in service to a larger anti-war message" (or any variant thereof). I've been trying to get you to engage with a bit of nuance here for days now (albeit not by ranting about how nuanced I'm being, maybe that was my mistake), but you've been steadfast in clinging to your ability to describe one bad thing, without any regard to how that description is real or true or meaningful.

zaphdash wrote:
Sure, ok. I mean, whether you are willfully missing the point or you genuinely can't understand the distinction I was drawing and why the same distinction doesn't just work in reverse if you flip the titles is of no concern to me.

It seemed to me that the distinction you were drawing is you just didn't see the theme in the UC timeline, and could explain the evidence of that theme via commercial considerations, and so had no reason to believe the theme was actually there. I don't quite see how that doesn't work in reverse? Just deny the theme is present, dismiss the evidence of the theme as arising from commercial considerations. You may think it's not reversible because the nonviolence is so baked into Macross 7 that it would be absurd to deny its intentional presence, but then again I feel the same about the condemnation of cyclical violence in Gundam, so yeah, quite reversible.

zaphdash wrote:
I mean, the actual text I had been responding to from you reduced Macross 7 to "just sing a magical song,"

Nope, it said that the only concrete solution Macross 7 offered to cyclical violence was "just sing a magical song":
zalminar wrote:
I mean, sure, they don't have an *answer* to the cycle of violence, but that doesn't mean they can't condemn it. Especially when the best example you can muster has the solution of "just sing a magic song," I don't really think you can hold Gundam's lack of concrete solutions to cyclical violence against its anti-war bonafides.

zaphdash wrote:
I feel that the show portrays violence as something of a Chinese finger trap in that the more that you struggle, the worse it gets

I mean, sure, though that's even more common in Gundam (and tons of mecha/war-is-cool media in general). It also runs into the problem I noted where I'm not sure it actually shows that because peaceful coexistence isn't really on the table (until it is, and then people choose it rather quickly). To argue that the violence is making things worse, you need to engage in a counterfactual about what would be happening if there wasn't the violence, but that scenario seems to be spoiler[forcible enslavement], which is... pretty bad? also violence? It's not like some minor incident spirals out of control because of escalating violence, the stakes are incredibly high (and incredibly violent) from the beginning.

zaphdash wrote:
MSG-CCA is only one part of one timeline, so it has not been my instinct to attribute characteristics of this one arc to the franchise as a whole. I can grant that could be unfair, given that MSG-CCA is the main part of the main timeline in the franchise, and I don't offer this by way of argument that "MSG-CCA is irrelevant because it's not the whole show" but only to explain where I have been coming from.

It's ~70% of the Tomino UC-timeline, ~85% of the animated UC-timeline as a whole; to call that "one arc" seems rather unreasonable. (I'd also contend Victory actually does engage with the idea of cyclical violence, albeit much less directly and you do need to read it in context with the rest of the timeline.) And it is rather prevalent in most of the AUs (it's central in SEED, Turn A, and AGE; definitely present in Wing and 00); I really don't think you can engage with the franchise as a whole without acknowledging it as a major theme.

zaphdash wrote:
But "x is y because of z" doesn't imply that "all x's must be z to be y."

Yes, but you haven't really offered many other avenues to argue something is y, and given your dismissal of having workable definitions, it's not clear how else to formulate an argument for y-ness that you'd parse. And, as I've said, z is rather central to how and why w is y; the problem is really just your denial of w's z-ness, hence all the rigmarole. Thus far the argument has seemed:
"w is not y; x is y because of z"
"but w is also z, so why isn't it y?"
"why do we keep talking about z?"

zaphdash wrote:
You react to stimulus, then maybe you interrogate that reaction to understand why you reacted the way you did, and then maybe you develop principles that could predict how you will react to similar things in the future. I'm at level 2 here with Gundam -- I know the impression that it leaves on me and I know why. I have not proceeded to level 3, a unified and coherent theory of "anti-war media" that I could deploy to characterize anything I've watched.

I'd contend you're not really at "level 2" here, as your explanations for "why" are either "because that's the impression it gave me" or seem to be in conflict with other reasons you've given--this isn't a matter of formulating principles to predict future impressions, but whether your supposed reasons are even coherent with past impressions. If your reasons aren't internally consistent, they're not reasons but excuses. Not having a fully articulated grand unified theory isn't an excuse not to have an implicit working definition that is coherent.

zaphdash wrote:
I've already explained why I feel Gundam's presentation of war is sanitized, and hell, you've even agreed, at least to a point -- you acknowledged several posts ago that it sanitizes its depiction of war, at least as it compare to journalism. We're obviously not going to see eye to eye on questions like whether it matters that Gundam is sanitized, to what extent it is sanitized, etc, but whether it is sanitized at all is a question we are already beyond.

C'mon, you've gone into a whole thing about the distinction between glorifying something and saying it's glorious, but you're gonna pretend not to be able to distinguish "sanitizing" from "sanitized"? I mean, just try using the words in their literal context--just because something is sanitized doesn't mean it can be used to sanitize something else; a bottle of bleach can be used for sanitizing, while a table can be sanitized but not be usable for sanitizing.

zaphdash wrote:
If you think it's fair to "restate" my point as "All that violence? More of that please, it was glorious and necessary," I don't think it's a stretch to read that as essentially pro-war, so I keep repeating myself here because you don't really seem to be processing the point.

Rather, that sort of is my point, that you repeatedly say you're not saying something is pro-war then go on to describe it in a way that sounds pretty pro-war. The distinction means something to you, which is fine and I can conceive of meaningful distinctions there, and defining pro-war doesn't seem useful at this juncture, so I've avoided the term and tried to stick to your own chosen language as much as possible. But then I don't really think you get to turn around and collapse that distinction when it's convenient for you.

If you want to say "Gundam glorifies war and promotes violence as necessary, but not in a pro-war way" I don't really know what to do with that in any meaningful sense. If you mean those messages are attenuated and undermined in the same way as Gundam's anti-war messages, so that on balance the work is neither anti- nor pro- war, sure. But then shouldn't we say that those messages that glorify war, show it as cool, show violence as a necessary solution, etc. are pro-war messages the same way you acknowledge Gundam does have anti-war messages too? What else should we call the idea that violence is necessary to solve problems? That war is cool? are these, in isolation, not pro-war ideas? But you then also go out of your way to insist that these are the messages delivered by Gundam unvarnished--it's anti-war messages are "undermined" or "ostensible" while the pro-war messages are "fundamental" or something the series "actually" conveys. Maybe you just didn't mean to phrase things that way?

zaphdash wrote:
Sure, but I acknowledged even in the very beginning that Macross 7 is no more realistic in its depiction of war than any Gundam show -- in fact, it is obviously considerably less realistic. But it's also a completely different type of story, and I take different things away from it than I take away from Gundam.

Then why should I care if Kira flying around doing cool non-lethal things isn't a realistic depiction of war? All these weird little gotchas that you keep trying to pull are missing the mark.

zaphdash wrote:
you can either have the last word if you want it or save your breath if you don't feel like producing another post that I probably won't read and almost certainly won't respond to

Cool

zaphdash wrote:
Either way, have fun.

You too!
Royheard

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2022 9:35 am Reply with quote
BH0 wrote:
There's nothing wrong with thinking Gundams are cool. It's like saying you shouldn't find villains like Frieza or the Joker cool because they're mass murderers despite how charismatic they are in their own series. Seriously, the "wow, cool robot" meme is so stupid; you can like how badass the fights are in Gundam while still believing war is bad. Do people who kill random civilians in GTA for fun have anti-social beliefs? It's puritanism dressed in academic lingo.

I understand that there is nothing wrong with this, yet there are many who say otherwise. I don't even know how this could be corrected. But besides that, taking into consideration that I don't know anything about this topic/field, it's hard for me to say anything concrete here and I'm glad there are sources like https://edusson.com/write-my-college-essay who write my college essays, this has already saved me many times because parallel to college I work and I don't have time for this, more than that I hate reading books because of this I am very pleased that it is possible to go over this, because we all know that the educational system is not perfect.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3