• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 90s American Live-Action Sailor Moon Pilot Has Finally Gone Public

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Serinox

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:48 am Reply with quote
You have to keep in mind that this pilot was made with almost zero budget, and the animation especially done by people as favors on the side by animators. It is proof of concept for the bidding process and if the show had actually been picked up, they would have gotten the money required to make it all look better.

If we keep that in mind, it is pretty impressive what they managed to put together.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:27 am Reply with quote
GracieLizzy wrote:
You know for years they said this was 17 minutes but it looks like it is only just over 10 mins. I was trying to figure out where the 17 minutes figure comes from, I don't see it in the old June 2001 Anime Fringe interview with Rocky Solotoff. Most likely this was just someone mis-remembering but I do wonder if and additional 7 minutes were scripted and shot then dropped from the demo reel?
I think this is just one of those assumptions that became commonly accepted "facts" among the fandom but ended up not being true.
db999

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:24 am Reply with quote
I can't believe she finally found it. I watched Ray Mona's 1st documentary on it, and it was really good and the second documentary is even better. Everyone should watch the documentaries as well because they're incredibly well researched, and she does a great job of building tension and mystery. And while I am glad that the pilot ultimately failed, I mean where would the modern anime and American cartoon landscape be now if it never became a thing due to Live-Action hybrids being the norm, there is a part of me that really wants to see what the actual show would have looked like because it probably would have been a lot different due to them maybe being able to have an actual budget.

I also think it should be mentioned that even though it's really bad and is likely to be looked on negatively by most of the anime community that it was still brought to life by people who not only are actually talented and have huge careers working in actually good animated movies and tv shows, but also that they legitimately tried to make the best product they could with the limited budget and with the restraints they were given. That's not to say people aren't allowed to dislike this, but I hope people don't start being negative about the people who worked on this.

Now onto my thoughts for the actual pilot. First, that theme song is an earworm it's so catchy I've been lowkey humming almost it nonstop since yesterday. As for the pilot sure it's really bad, but it's bad in all the best ways. From the weird midi-style music to the cheesy line delivery and animation that at times is surprisingly decent and at others laughably bad, and my favorite section, the live-action segments. I love everything about the live-action segment it is perfect early 90's cheese, but the part that sent me into hysterical laughter was at the end of the dance sequence when Luna presses the stop button on a cassette player and it's revealed that the song we've been listening to is actually diegetic, as in it's an in-universe song the characters are actually listening to. I'm so glad this was found as it is now probably my favorite piece of Sailor Moon media.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2022 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
GracieLizzy wrote:
You know for years they said this was 17 minutes but it looks like it is only just over 10 mins. I was trying to figure out where the 17 minutes figure comes from, I don't see it in the old June 2001 Anime Fringe interview with Rocky Solotoff. Most likely this was just someone mis-remembering but I do wonder if and additional 7 minutes were scripted and shot then dropped from the demo reel?
I think this is just one of those assumptions that became commonly accepted "facts" among the fandom but ended up not being true.

Yeah that probably is the most likely explanation. Still I did find myself wondering.
fanime99

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:00 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed buying the new dub for Sailor Moon, but even the original dub (despite dropping an episode, and modifying others) was far better than this mess.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:52 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
GracieLizzy wrote:

Aka The Mandela Effect
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:11 am Reply with quote
If you enjoyed the campiness of the Toon Makers Sailor Moon and wish there was more, I highly recommend checking out the Japanese live action Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon, which is an amazing show and easily the best adaptation of the manga.
Allison Addams

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:30 pm Reply with quote
MrTerrorist wrote:
My goodness. The Toonmaker's version of Sailormoon is so cringe and so early 1990s it's hilarious. Laughing

But I have to give credit for the American makers for making the girls more diverse and having a wheelchair user.

And kudos to Ray Mona for finding the original pilot episode. To think it was in the library of Congress all this time.

Yea, while it's obviously not better than what we got, those are some things to give it credit to. I was surprised of them having a POC as Jupiter and a disabled girl as Mercury.

I also like how they still stayed true to Tuxedo Mask showing up, doing nothing, but still getting some kind of credit.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:28 am Reply with quote
So,the attempted American version of "Sailor Moon's" been released and I'm just shocked at it. They really leaned into the fantasy thing a lot. Bringing in Melendy Britt from the original "She-Ra" to be the narrator for this is kinda amazing just to start off. Even from what little I saw,you had the feeling they had some good ideas there but oh dear. You had the feeling that this wouldn't have lasted very long.
It's interesting and all to finally see this thing,but I wonder how the original creator of this is going to feel about it? As someone who likes "Sailor Moon,"it's weird to hear that two high quality actresses like Melendy Britt and Adrienne Barbeau would have ever gotten involved with something like this. Also,while I'd have no problem if they tried to another American version of "Sailor Moon,"I think it's going to have to be a little better than this version was. And I mean,a lot better than this was.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3