• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Games - We're Just Really Excited For Xenoblade 3, Okay?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Suxinn

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm one of those people who unironically love spoilers, and actually try to be as spoiled as possible for most entertainment media I consume. It actually generally makes the experience better for me, since I find it easier to focus on the little details rather than whatever big plot twists the game/TV show/movie is trying to throw at me. And, while I understand that some folks might hate spoilers, I agree with Jean-Karlo that, if spoiling the ending to something ruins the experience of the work, then that's more of an issue with the work rather than the spoiler.

Also, I've had the Tactics Ogre remake on PSP for years, and I've still only played the first five minutes. (I also have the first Xenoblade Chronicles still sitting untouched in my Switch.) So I'm a slower gamer than Jean-Karlo! Will I actually get around to playing Tactics Ogre on PSP before the remake drops? I guess only time will tell... (I've already clearly failed to even start the first Xenoblade Chronicles before the third one released, so chances are not good, haha.)
b-dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:21 pm Reply with quote
I do think there's a conversation to be had about when public discussion about spoilers is reasonable- based on time and cultural penetration (though I'm not sure how that would be operationalized and measured.) But I'm rather inclined to reject the more extreme sides out of hand. I can't take seriously the idea that no spoilers of any kind are allowed- the idea of someone getting mad because I mention some myth in conversation seems patently ridiculous. As does posting Xenoblade 3 spoilers here. At what point that line is drawn though...that, I'm not sure about.

And yes, if a narrative falls apart once its twist is known, it isn't a very good narrative.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:23 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Honestly I'd rather they just re release the original instead, with maybe a few nice tweak. The remake class system is so awful I'm not even gonna bother playing it (maybe there'll be mod on PC to fix it?). Also would have preferred they release the ogre battle games since they're pretty unique.

I played March Of The Black Queen and while it certainly is unique I wouldn’t really put in the positive category of unique.

Quote:

For whatever reason, Tactics Ogre: Reborn applies a smoothing filter onto all of Tactics Ogre's lovely sprite art. The result is all of the characters and sprites looking just a little blobbier and smudged. This is already a disappointment, but it's even more so when the Let Us Cling Together remake is still right there; we can see just how much worse all the spritework is.

Is it any worse than the original SNES version?

Also I hope they jettisoned level scaling on optional maps that to me along with weapon, skill, & magic leveling was worse than class leveling (which I presume is still in the game).

Quote:

Dragon Quest has really come into its own in the United States, with more and more players coming around on its traditional turn-based systems and charming characters and writing.

[record scratch]

Quote:

We saw it happen with Yōkai Watch, which was touted for a while as a definite Pokémon killer (it wasn't—poor series burned bright but burned fast),

It’s not okay to bully the weak Razz

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:31 pm Reply with quote
Hopefully the Tactics Ogre remake (whenever it's announced) will be sure to mention that there's an option for turning off the filter
ZiharkXVI

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:38 pm Reply with quote
I have been counting the days! Have my copy and can't wait to enjoy another adventure.
Mr. Nescio

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:50 am Reply with quote
I played Final Fantasy 7 without knowing anything about the story, and I would hope that other people could have that experience. I don't see sufficient justification for why FF7 spoilers should be treated differently than any other, especially as it is not actually anywhere as well known as Star Wars spoilers, even if some people try to use that comparison.

Suxinn wrote:
And, while I understand that some folks might hate spoilers, I agree with Jean-Karlo that, if spoiling the ending to something ruins the experience of the work, then that's more of an issue with the work rather than the spoiler.
I like the experience of mystery and not knowing what happens and that applies to any work of fiction. Moreover, for some works mystery might be a main point and I don't think it is an issue at all with the work (such works can be among my favorites).
k_dawg_3484

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:24 am Reply with quote
Villain-chan wrote:
Just gonna leave this here and not check back becus I don't want more spoilers

@ The editor in charge of approving these articles and @ Jean-Karlo: Spoilers are never ok without a spoiler tag applied to them UNLESS its with a group of people whose also seen or played the same thing. There are new births every day, years will pass and eventually they'll be able to play oh say, Final Fantasy 7, then there are those like myself, who've only played Kingdom Hearts and never touched a Final Fantasy game b4... and just so happened to buy Final Fantasy 7 on Nintendo Switch a month or two back but haven't had the time to get to playing it because time is not something i have much of and with SO MUCH media to watch and play, if I get to cus I don't most days for video games sadly (And only get watch anime becus I watch it while i eat) becus there's so much going on in life. So to come here, an article I enjoy reading and have done so for the last 3 or 4 writers (Which is I believe close to it not a decade) and get spoiled for something that most tend to avoid spoiling, is NOT ok, it not only ruins the enjoyment and exp. one has which Jean-Karlo seems to not care if they spoil something for others, but it can ruin the game, the char, or anything about the game or anime or any media when a spoiler is dropped. Yes I am well aware FF7 is an OLD game, but I started this off with a great example of two instances where someone reading your article, would be spoiled and that isn't ok to do to ur readers, at all.

Let me repeat this, i ENJOY and look forward to reading This Week in Games each and every week. But, if spoilers outside of a spoiler tag are going to be dropped into TWIG's articles, well, it pains me to say and with a very sad heart but, I'll stop reading TWIG. Lastly, it's not imo professional at all to drop spoilers into an article for anything, esp spoilers for a game when the article's focus is on gaming. And this wasn't the only spoiler dropped either, which ya'll are aware of, not cool for that either even though i personally do not care about the other spoiler, I can assure u someone else reading would care.

I hope you find this helpful and informative and its my hope this doesn't happen again becus if it does I won't be reading TWIG anymore which sucks...

Edit: P.s. If the forum has to abide by Rule 12. Use spoiler tags appropriately, then those writing articles should ALSO have to abide by those same rules.

Game is 25 years old, is the most popular RPG of all time, and contains the most famous twist of all time in a video game plot. It is actually on par with Darth Vader being Luke Skywalker's spoiler[father]. At a certain point, the responsibility reasonably falls to the reader to protect themselves from spoilers.

Anyway, that aside, you should play the game in its original form because the whole thing is a journey people love. Enjoyment of it on the whole is in no way tied solely to knowledge of this one thing. I've played it several times since I first experienced it 25 years ago, and I still enjoy the whole ride. Square made games you want to play again back then, so you've got plenty to look forward to.
Zimmer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:42 am Reply with quote
k_dawg_3484 wrote:
Villain-chan wrote:
Just gonna leave this here and not check back becus I don't want more spoilers

@ The editor in charge of approving these articles and @ Jean-Karlo: Spoilers are never ok without a spoiler tag applied to them UNLESS its with a group of people whose also seen or played the same thing. There are new births every day, years will pass and eventually they'll be able to play oh say, Final Fantasy 7, then there are those like myself, who've only played Kingdom Hearts and never touched a Final Fantasy game b4... and just so happened to buy Final Fantasy 7 on Nintendo Switch a month or two back but haven't had the time to get to playing it because time is not something i have much of and with SO MUCH media to watch and play, if I get to cus I don't most days for video games sadly (And only get watch anime becus I watch it while i eat) becus there's so much going on in life. So to come here, an article I enjoy reading and have done so for the last 3 or 4 writers (Which is I believe close to it not a decade) and get spoiled for something that most tend to avoid spoiling, is NOT ok, it not only ruins the enjoyment and exp. one has which Jean-Karlo seems to not care if they spoil something for others, but it can ruin the game, the char, or anything about the game or anime or any media when a spoiler is dropped. Yes I am well aware FF7 is an OLD game, but I started this off with a great example of two instances where someone reading your article, would be spoiled and that isn't ok to do to ur readers, at all.

Let me repeat this, i ENJOY and look forward to reading This Week in Games each and every week. But, if spoilers outside of a spoiler tag are going to be dropped into TWIG's articles, well, it pains me to say and with a very sad heart but, I'll stop reading TWIG. Lastly, it's not imo professional at all to drop spoilers into an article for anything, esp spoilers for a game when the article's focus is on gaming. And this wasn't the only spoiler dropped either, which ya'll are aware of, not cool for that either even though i personally do not care about the other spoiler, I can assure u someone else reading would care.

I hope you find this helpful and informative and its my hope this doesn't happen again becus if it does I won't be reading TWIG anymore which sucks...

Edit: P.s. If the forum has to abide by Rule 12. Use spoiler tags appropriately, then those writing articles should ALSO have to abide by those same rules.

Game is 25 years old, is the most popular RPG of all time, and contains the most famous twist of all time in a video game plot. It is actually on par with Darth Vader being Luke Skywalker's spoiler[father]. At a certain point, the responsibility reasonably falls to the reader to protect themselves from spoilers.

Anyway, that aside, you should play the game in its original form because the whole thing is a journey people love. Enjoyment of it on the whole is in no way tied solely to knowledge of this one thing. I've played it several times since I first experienced it 25 years ago, and I still enjoy the whole ride. Square made games you want to play again back then, so you've got plenty to look forward to.
Sure, but kinda shitty when I was never given a chance to find out the Darth Vader reveal myself. "It's been out for years.' They'll say, despite me not even being born until much later, let alone old enough to watch it. And maybe I can live with that, but when it turns into "It's been out for a week already." how can I not be a little grumpy?
yeehaw

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:31 am Reply with quote
I think the aerith exempel is dumb because like people pointed out, it`s a cultural osmosis thing and I don’t think it counts as a spoiler anymore, but i also think it’s dumb to complain about people disliking spoilers. It’s not about the thing being bad if I know something major that happens, it’s just way more fun to experience it by myself. Since I only get the one chance to experience (for example) digimon survive for the first time I want to actually experience it, not have it told to me.
Also it’s not hard to tag something as a spoiler
Villain-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Said i wouldn't return but I did and glad I was careful enough to avoid further spoilers. Let me just say I'm not saying spoilers cannot be mentioned in an article or something else, ideally its better to avoid them if possible but if not thats fine HOWEVER, spoiler tags should be used. A few others here have said the exact example I tried to warn about, "game is x years old, u should've played" Me: Some aren't old enough yet or will be soon or in the future to play" or in my case "never looked into FF and somehow (till yesterday) was unspoiled on FF7, and had just bought the game a month or two back but hadn't even gotten the time to play it yet... and now I might never becus spoilers kill whatever am playing/watching for me so thanks for that...

I was very kind in my response yesterday and skimmed parts (to avoid further spoilers) from most posts directed at me or the convo of spoilers but the responses gave to me were hostile and not very kind or welcoming and the lack of empathy for those who wish to remain unspoiled is honestly sad. I am not asking for NO spoilers to be mentioned, and u CAN have a convo/write an article without spoiling the works themselves, but if that isn't ok with those at ANN then thats fine, just please use spoiler tags, u ask us to use them on the forums and its a rule here, so if a spoiler is going to be mentioned in ur articles, please use spoiler tags, thats ALL I am asking for. If thats not possible due to coding then u should be able to code the site to do so, but am pretty sure I recall seeing a spoiler tag b4 (Although my memory isn't the best so i might be mistaken)

There's articles that discuss anime shows for example and those ALWAYS (Far as I've seen) give a warning that a spoiler for this series will be mentioned. (I have read some of those for shows I already saw which is why I am aware of this) At the very very least ANN, please do this and mention what franchise the article has spoilers for so we can choose to not read the parts on whats going to be spoiled, however, if still ANN, u don't care that you're spoiling readers then yes I will very much so not be reading TWIG and and other article that doesn't give a spoiler warning for what franchise the article will be spoiling. I realize the easy thing here for most reading this is to say "look, someone whose entitled" but that isn't the case. Is it wrong to ask for at the bare minimum, for a spoiler warning at the top of the article to be mentioned for what series the article will be spoiling? No, it isn't and I speak not just for myself but for all the readers like myself who DON'T wish to be spoiled and enjoy reading TWIG and other articles and would like to continue doing so if possible... may of those same readers like myself don't even have an account on ANN to ask for at least this bare minimum of consideration for those like myself who wish to remain unspoiled and like another member of this site posted here. Maybe u'r ok with knowing spoilers, maybe they make it better for others but u know plenty are not ok with it and it hurts the series and fans when people don't have empathy to at least give a spoiler warning or use spoiler tags and it doesn't matter if its for a 25 year old game or anime or whatever, as I said plenty will not have known it, or heard of the spoiler for the reasons I mentioned and more...
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Tactics Ogre Reborn still hasn't been announced; it's all leaks. I think it's fairly likely the smoothing filter will be optional (as it is in most remasters of this nature).
GasterTheGreat

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Most interesting thing about the Tactics Ogre Reborn leaks to me is they appear to be walking back some of the changes they made in the PSP version. I see characters have elemental affinity. I hope the balance changes and class changes are good. Some of the classes in the PSP version were sorely lacking like Terror Knight or completely busted like Archer.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:14 am Reply with quote
When there are Halloween costumes of spoilers
Iron Maw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Probably not bothering with TO Reborn. Its too close to the PSP version for me to justify going for it. Waay too many other game coming out this fall for me anyway.

Gotta pick up the last two DLC paths fro FE Fates tho.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2