• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: CG Studio Orange Animates New Trigun Stampede 2023 Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I was still doubtful this was actually going to happen so I'm excited and happy about the news. I have full confidence Orange can pull off a successful new Trigun anime. I can't wait to see what it looks like. Now someone reboot Hikaru no Go please.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 11:42 pm Reply with quote
So Trigun: Brotherhood?

I'm guessing they'll also go with a younger and fresher cast on the Japanese side (I miss Masaya Onosaka).
Jindujun93

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:26 am Reply with quote
This is a disappointment and a half - Studio Orange being the 'best' CGI studio doesn't mean anything if the CGI of other studios is utter garbage (ignoring Lupin III The First, but that one's a special case because that wasn't a team that traditionally worked on anime and had experience working on CGI for Nintendo), so the classic 2D would have been way prefered. But well. It is what it is, I suppose. Hopefully this covers Maximum at least, then.
Seif

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:48 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Damn

Expecting dub recasts again just like Badlands Rumble and considering recent events, I expect Vash to be included.

What recent events? JYB was recently cast in the DBS movie. Why would they recast him?
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:35 am Reply with quote
Seif wrote:

What recent events? JYB was recently cast in the DBS movie. Why would they recast him?
He's probably referring to Crunchyroll shutting down remote dubbing and Johnny Yong Bosch lives in LA.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:02 am Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
Nooooo it being all CGI was my monkey's paw wish. :< I don't care how "good" Orange is, I don't want my baby to be CGI.

Also Vash is all blond, so unless they're starting at the very beginning of the manga, that means no Maximum adaptation. Hell, it says "original" so it might be yet another feature length filler episode like the movie.

At least we'll get more merch...

Don't worry, they will treat your baby with much care Im sure
trilaan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:38 am Reply with quote
I just binged both seasons of Beastars and I now have more faith in this project.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:58 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Seif wrote:

He's probably referring to Crunchyroll shutting down remote dubbing and Johnny Yong Bosch lives in LA.

Pretty much plus Dragon Ball's dubs are done at Chris Sabat's studio(s) with Toei USA supervising since the beginning of Super so there's a difference.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:59 am Reply with quote
The anime adapted about 4 of the 17 volumes with major changes to the writing and art. The anime is better in every way and I have trouble remembering even the broad strokes of the unadapted later plot. The ending sucked and felt inconclusive, I remember that. Then we have the just ok movie that decided to make up a side story to the anime. It bombed and the anime itself can´t get a sequel as the story fully concludes. There is also no way that the show can get 52 eps to adapt the manga plot coherently even if one thinks that the manga is all that. I love the tv anime. The manga is all right but yeah. Zero hype here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:20 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
Seif wrote:

Fair, but JYB's been doing FUNimation dubs long before remote recording became a necessity. I'm confident he'll come back.
jimmyzinny

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:58 am Reply with quote
Jindujun93 wrote:
This is a disappointment and a half - Studio Orange being the 'best' CGI studio doesn't mean anything if the CGI of other studios is utter garbage (ignoring Lupin III The First, but that one's a special case because that wasn't a team that traditionally worked on anime and had experience working on CGI for Nintendo), so the classic 2D would have been way prefered. But well. It is what it is, I suppose. Hopefully this covers Maximum at least, then.

What the hell did I just read? This comment is wrong in so many levels it's insane. First of all, Land of the Lustrous and Beastars which are both from studio Orange look incredible. Besides that you got other CGI anime like Ajin, Knights of Sidonia, Blame!, Dorohedoro, Infini-T Force and Gantz:O that are all from different studio and still look amazing.

People today really try to shit on CGI it's actually cringy.
Jindujun93

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:15 am Reply with quote
jimmyzinny wrote:
Jindujun93 wrote:

What the hell did I just read? This comment is wrong in so many levels it's insane. First of all, Land of the Lustrous and Beastars which are both from studio Orange look incredible. Besides that you got other CGI anime like Ajin, Knights of Sidonia, Blame!, Dorohedoro, Infini-T Force and Gantz:O that are all from different studio and still look amazing.

Please tell me you're joking when you're calling stuff like Ajin, Sidonia or Gantz:O good CGI anime. Because they're many things, but definitely not that. No comment on Beastars. Land of the Lustrous works because it's heavily stylized, which is a stark contrast compared to something like Trigun, and Orange still isn't good at actually making a good CGI human.

I'm not against CGI if it's done at a good level. But that's the thing. The anime industry is decidedly NOT at that level. It's telling that the one thing that was at that level wasn't even done by a team from the anime industry.

Put out something good, and you'll have me on board. But Orange (or any other studio for that matter) hasn't earned that level of trust yet. You can drench a turd in copious amounts of perfume in an attempt to make it smell pleasant, but in the end it's still a turd.
jimmyzinny

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:27 am Reply with quote
Jindujun93 wrote:
jimmyzinny wrote:
Jindujun93 wrote:

Please tell me you're joking when you're calling stuff like Ajin, Sidonia or Gantz:O good CGI anime.

Yes, I do believe they're good CGI anime. What's wrong with that, do you base "good CGI anime" on the story or somehting? All of them look good especially Gantz:O. People who know what's up will tell you the same. The industry still has a long way to go but the future is bright. Also, people need to realise that not every single studio specializes in 3D animation so stop complaining and watch some Disney movie.
Guile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:31 am Reply with quote
jimmyzinny wrote:

It could be a generational thing. Growing up with a lot of great hand drawn animation and living through the decline of Disney and other animation studios can turn off people on principle. Or maybe it really just is a personal thing. I don't think I'll ever be convinced that CG is better over 2D, especially for things that were already in 2D. People keep bringing up Land of the Lustrus and Beastars as the cream of the crop but I found those to be terribly uncanny and floaty and would have been more interested if they were 2D.

Perhaps it's the intention and style itself. CG that try to look 2D end up just being really choppy and floaty. And that's a problem when most of the source material being adapted are manga and anime that originated as 2D drawings. Meanwhile you have CG animation in video games like Final Fantasy and Resident Evil that look amazing; mainly because they were designed that way from the get-go. So CG animated films based on video games is just like the game. On the other hand we get some anime adaptions of games that use CG models like Tales or the Persona games they use 2D animation which look quite nice. An anime adaption modeled after the in-game 3D models would look quite bad I would think, but one done in the style of FF7 Remake would be well received.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:48 am Reply with quote
I hope so much that this is a remake true to the manga.

If so, we'll finally get to see Midvalley with a baritone saxophone!! <3
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5