• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Roku Adds 2018 Captain Tsubasa Anime With Audio in Japanese, English, Spanish

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 9:54 am Reply with quote
Well that's possibly the strangest combination of 3 anime possible

I've always wondered what a 26 episode Cinderella anime would be like
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 10:45 am Reply with quote
Viz media really botched their release of Captain Tsubasa. After 4 years, this is the first time it has ever streamed (and it’s a US only service that no one uses), following an English dub only release on a premium TV channel that isn’t available in every US state, and no home video release. Wtf happened? Were they mandated not to simulcast or even just stream and never release home video by the JP production? I can’t imagine that was an internal business decision.
lilitu93
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:05 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
Viz media really botched their release of Captain Tsubasa. After 4 years, this is the first time it has ever streamed (and it’s a US only service that no one uses), following an English dub only release on a premium TV channel that isn’t available in every US state, and no home video release. Wtf happened? Were they mandated not to simulcast or even just stream and never release home video by the JP production? I can’t imagine that was an internal business decision.

The Roku Channel is now available in other countries, as we got it a few years ago in the UK. We never get any anime though, and these releases are no exception. None are particularly of interest to me (though I’d be curious about the Cinderella one as I do like fairytales), but it’s a shame we don’t get any anime on there at all.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I've been kind of surprised (in a good way) what Roku has available on their channel.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:56 pm Reply with quote
lilitu93 wrote:
The Roku Channel is now available in other countries, as we got it a few years ago in the UK. We never get any anime though, and these releases are no exception. None are particularly of interest to me (though I’d be curious about the Cinderella one as I do like fairytales), but it’s a shame we don’t get any anime on there at all.

I’ve been told by Canadians trying to access this show that it simply says the Roku service is only available in the US.
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 1:59 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:

It's because of music issues, this show has songs from members of Johnny & Associates, an agency that up until it's founder died in 2019, was known for years to overcharge for use of their music and artists internationally and this show came out back when he was still alive so it was going to be a mess to clear for streaming, same reason Funimation stopped streaming the rest of Monster Hunter Stories when the opening changed to that same Johnny's band.

Thankfully it seems that Viz had the songs cleared in the Japanese audio version so hopefully this means Blu-ray sets are coming......and with actual subs instead of the dubtitles that are on Roku.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 8:50 pm Reply with quote
LegitPancake wrote:
lilitu93 wrote:

I’ve been told by Canadians trying to access this show that it simply says the Roku service is only available in the US.

It's complicated. The Roku Channel is available in Canada ... on Roku TV/STBs and through the mobile app. For whatever reason, the desktop client seems to be unavailable here.

I checked and Captain Tsubasa isn't available in Canada, even though earlier Viz additions like Bleach are.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Now up subtitled on Amazon Prime

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B8K1WGHM
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1