• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2022 Manga Guide

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 3:43 am Reply with quote
Well,I never thought I'd comment here,but I discovered two manga that I think are interesting. The first one is that ADHD thing which looks like a fascinating read. I have my reasons for it. Very private ones but still an interesting manga nonetheless. Another one is the Disney manga. Given all the recent controversies Disney's gone through,this seems a step in the right direction for them.
A fun,goofy romp that looks pretty enjoyable. I'm also going to look out for that one. It looks like a fun read.

Last edited by Snomaster1 on Fri May 20, 2022 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
wolf10

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 6:06 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Thank you. I've gone through about fourteen different responses to your post in my head, but really, from the bottom of my heart, thank you. I rarely talk about it because so few people understand that it becomes exhausting, and your comment really means a lot to me.
I've also gone through a few different responses. You're welcome. And yes, it is exhausting.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 9:52 pm Reply with quote
The link for "Welcome Back, Alice" is wrong.
Abecedarian1995
ANN Assistant Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 12:53 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
The link for "Welcome Back, Alice" is wrong.

Fixed!
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Lioncourt;
Quote:
Anyway, seven-year-old Varian is forced to kill dogs and a sickly slave woman because “that's how the world works, humans are animals”, and that's the end of the first volume.

A note of caution, the story gets darker. Way darker. spoiler[Even Albert the Psycho becomes weary of him, so I suppose you can say he'll surpass his teacher...]
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Survival in Another World with My Mistress!

Don't know why they didn't just say, this light novel, is Minecraft in a fantasy world, because that is what it essentially is.

I really enjoyed this light novel, and hope additional volumes will come out. Don't know what the reviewer means by overwritten, but I had no problem reading it and enjoying the content. The denizens of this world are going to find out, just what you can do with the power of a Minecraft menu HUD.

The Holy Grail of Eris

Loved this one too, can't wait for the next volume.

The Vexations of a Shut-In Vampire Princess.

This one sounds interesting, thanks for showcasing it.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 2:13 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Survival in Another World with My Mistress!

Don't know why they didn't just say, this light novel, is Minecraft in a fantasy world, because that is what it essentially is.

Because I really enjoy making my life more difficult. Laughing

Quote:
I really enjoyed this light novel, and hope additional volumes will come out. Don't know what the reviewer means by overwritten, but I had no problem reading it and enjoying the content. The denizens of this world are going to find out, just what you can do with the power of a Minecraft menu HUD.

I thought the author got carried away with the descriptions of the minutiae of his skills/powers and it bogged the plot down. That could very easily be a me-specific issue, thinking about it.

Quote:
The Vexations of a Shut-In Vampire Princess.

This one sounds interesting, thanks for showcasing it.

You're welcome! It's got a great premise; I just wish the maid wasn't in it. (Or was toned down. Definite YMMV territory, though.)
wolf10

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
Lioncourt;
Quote:
Anyway, seven-year-old Varian is forced to kill dogs and a sickly slave woman because “that's how the world works, humans are animals”, and that's the end of the first volume.

A note of caution, the story gets darker. Way darker. spoiler[Even Albert the Psycho becomes weary of him, so I suppose you can say he'll surpass his teacher...]
Thanks for the warning. I tracked down the web novel on Narou, and good god does it go places (in the spoiler[sexual violence] department, at that). There's a definite gap in the blasé tone of the narration and what's being described that honestly gives me Kafka vibes, but I think in manga form it would be pretty much unreadable.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 5:42 pm Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:
Lioncourt;
Quote:

Thanks for the warning. I tracked down the web novel on Narou, and good god does it go places (in the spoiler[sexual violence] department, at that). There's a definite gap in the blasé tone of the narration and what's being described that honestly gives me Kafka vibes, but I think in manga form it would be pretty much unreadable.

Absolutely, manga goes to edgy hell where spoiler[he rapes kidnapped women from enemy territory and sells them as sex slaves, also too "make him tough", then straight up murders family including kid and continues to genociding whole villages because "that's what you need to in a war to your enemy" which is obvious bullshit - just burning enemy's fields during war would be enough to make them retreat and cause plenty of innocent deaths anyway, but author makes MC go full "crimes against humanity are good actually", as far as I've read anyway.] I strongly advice anyone to drop this manga, unless you love the super edgy MCs.
harminia

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 6:26 pm Reply with quote
The mentions of Pretear and Shadow Lady regarding Ghost Reaper Girl makes me think I should pick the series up again. I started reading it when it was first published on manga+ and liked the main girl and art (I'm always amazed to see how far the mangaka has progressed since early rosario+vampire days), so maybe I should try again......

(I never read all of Shadow Lady, just random chapters because it was printed in those tiny two chapter releases, but I enjoyed it at the time, and I love Pretear.....)

Also glad Eris got a good review as I bought it recently lol. I was enjoying the manga so I was interested in the LN when I saw it was being released pretty much right after I started reading.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:01 am Reply with quote
gushing over magical girls gets an extra point for me as do all other ecchi series that so clever/fun censorship avoidance ( or is it compliance?). juts a heads up for the to love RU readers.
wolf10

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:04 am Reply with quote
harminia wrote:
The mentions of Pretear and Shadow Lady regarding Ghost Reaper Girl makes me think I should pick the series up again. I started reading it when it was first published on manga+ and liked the main girl and art (I'm always amazed to see how far the mangaka has progressed since early rosario+vampire days), so maybe I should try again......
And somehow this preview guide is the first I've heard that the artist formerly known as Akihisa Ikeda is drawing a magical girl reverse-harem. I credit(/blame) RosaVam II for ruining the harem genre for me (teenage me: "why is Tsukune so hot?"), but missed that he started a new series.
FinalVentCard
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 10:07 am Reply with quote
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:
wolf10 wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:
Lioncourt;
Quote:

Absolutely, manga goes to edgy hell where spoiler[he rapes kidnapped women from enemy territory and sells them as sex slaves, also too "make him tough", then straight up murders family including kid and continues to genociding whole villages because "that's what you need to in a war to your enemy" which is obvious bullshit - just burning enemy's fields during war would be enough to make them retreat and cause plenty of innocent deaths anyway, but author makes MC go full "crimes against humanity are good actually", as far as I've read anyway.] I strongly advice anyone to drop this manga, unless you love the super edgy MCs.

Oh, joy. Lioncourt is gonna be a delight if and when it gets an animated adaptation. I look forward to never ever reading or watching it again.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 10:43 am Reply with quote
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:

That spoiler[massacre behind enemy lines] is a bit further ahead(volume 3), but that's not to say things don't start taking place earlier. Already in next chapter/first chapter of volume two, spoiler[they conduct a raid on enemy territory and kill two young pig shepherds, a man and a woman. And the dogs too, though at least one of those gets away. And then they have a big feast on those pigs back home...]
One novel reader writes in his review how the mc spoiler[locks people inside a church, and burns it down. And also that there will be domestic violence, and mc will leave behind him some kind of big mess in that regard.] Those two latest haven't been depicted in the available manga volumes yet, so they're probably a bit further down the road.

Edit, Just noticed that the article gives May 31 as the release date for this, but j-novel site, as well as all storefronts(Amazon, Kobo etc) give the date June 8 instead.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 11:08 am Reply with quote
Lioncourt

Wonder what the purpose of Lioncourt is. Is it ultimately a redemption story? Right now it sounds like we should be rooting for a farmer to put a pitchfork in his back.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4