• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Tiger & Bunny 2 Episodes 1-13

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 6:53 pm Reply with quote
To everyone angry that I started the review by calling Double Decker bad:

Stay mad, I will not apologize. Double Decker sucked.
tintor2

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 7:13 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if I should watch Double Decker. I mean, the responses by the users to each episode were average.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 8:08 pm Reply with quote
Ishida_Akira(fake) wrote:
Oh, and I know that Taiga and Barnaby are not a couple (in spite of what Twitter insists), but come on... they're basically married at this point. And I'm loving it.

Still one of my favorite ships. Sorry not sorry.

And that was pretty much the only reason why I turned in for season 2. Though the realization of the 10 year gap between season 1 and 2 made me feel old.

I didn't like Agnes's new design. It felt unnecessary. I get that there's a 4 year in-universe gap but still, her personality was one that made me think that she greatly valued using her looks to get ahead, so I can't see why she wouldn't want to keep that going for as long as possible. I sometimes felt like they were trying to make her out to be a joke.

The villains didn't feel like villains because they weren't well developed. Magic Cat's caretaker (aunt?) felt more like a villain to me and I had hoped that they would have made her into a principle villain. Her anger towards everyone with a Y chromosome and her willingness to use Magic Cat as a means to an end made her the better villain choice.
Ishida_Akira(fake)

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 9:08 pm Reply with quote
I disagree. I don't think Agnes is the type of person who would have used her looks to get what she wanted. She seemed to have a thing about elegance though, and she continued to be elegant even after gaining weight.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2022 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Also by the way the scene of Ryan self analyzing himself as a feminist in the dub made me laugh so hard I loved it. In Japanese he says similar stuff just in vaguer more japanesey terms (my partner being guy or girl doesn't matter etc) but I love that the dub went whole ham with it, and it flips back around so you get this hilarious but also sincere scene of him trying his best to be a good guy!
everydaygamer wrote:
all-tsun-and-no-dere wrote:
everydaygamer wrote:
That said Dragon Kid was redesigned to look younger which is definitely a little distracting and Agnes is now fatter which just seems like a weird choice.

Agnes is in her 30's. A lot of people gain weight in their 30's. I appreciated how casual the show was about it - other than a comment from Ryan (who is a known asshole) and a double-take from Saito, nobody really said anything. There was no weight-loss arc or constant shots of her eating. She was the same Agnes, just rounder.

It's not a problem it's just weird. Like they could have tried to develop her character a little but opted for weight gain instead. I'm just worried that they are gonna use her weight as a tool for character development later which seems like an incredibly stereotypical way to develop a female character.

You shouldn't be worried at all. As the reviewer said it was handled very naturally and casually with only 1 character who is completely in character to comment on it, and another doing a quick double take. She's just living her life man, that's how it be when your metabolism slows down!

Also real quick, Dragon Kid wasn't redesigned, she's just continuing to keep the look she got in The Rising movie. Which is much less "younger" and more just "tomboyish" looking for lack of better word. She cut her hair, wears T-shirt and shorts instead of that jumpsuit etc.

Lmaooo as someone who liked Double Decker because I just laughed and had a great time each week watching funny police girl (ACTUALLY A BOY), I do think people getting mad at you for saying it was bad are forgetting the most important lesson that show taught us!

DON'T THINK! FEEL SO GOOD!
tintor2 wrote:
I wonder if I should watch Double Decker. I mean, the responses by the users to each episode were average.

I say check it out! The dub if you can, Micah Solusod and Ian Sinclair are way too much fun, and the former especially absolute nails his character's brand of comedy. I think you'll know almost immediately if it's for you hahah.
Kirki

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 12:22 am Reply with quote

As you should. It was really bad. No sign of engaging plot, deeply unlikable characters except maybe one... and to say that seeing people now supporting it baffles me would be an understatement. Nobody paid that much attention to it when it aired and nobody talked about it after it finished either. As they also should, it should stay forever buried away from our memories.

Other than that, do we have any information on when is Netflix going to release the next batch of T&B episodes? Absolutely loved this first part but it's obvious the story is only just in the middle. (Naturally)
SHD

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 12:35 am Reply with quote

Amazing response, very mature, very professional, much befitting ANN's brand I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Again: not liking a show is one thing, going out of your way to call it a "disaster" in the review of an unrelated show just because it wasn't the show you expected/wanted it to be is a different thing. Also, this thing about trying to elevate something by crapping on something else is an attitude I'll never understand.

Kirki wrote:
Nobody paid that much attention to it when it aired and nobody talked about it after it finished either.

Just because you didn't pay attention to it (apparently) in actuality there wasn't any less attention paid to it during and after its run than to any other averagely received show at the time. (Also, this is where I'd point out that popularity is no indicator of quality and enjoyment, but I guess that's only valid when it's a show you like, otherwise it's, apparently, bulletproof evidence. Oh well.)
Stelman257

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 1:16 am Reply with quote
Kirki wrote:
Other than that, do we have any information on when is Netflix going to release the next batch of T&B episodes? Absolutely loved this first part but it's obvious the story is only just in the middle.

It has been confirmed for 25 episodes total, but no word on the next drop of episodes. The usual Netflix deal leads me to believe September but it might even be as long as waiting until December unfortunately. They haven't exactly been handling their properties well lately.
SmurfRockRune

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 9:56 am Reply with quote
I'm sorry, but the excuse that "it was fine for what it was trying to be" does not fly with me. It's like someone saying that they were only trying to do the bare minimum and that we should be OK with that. The bottom line is that we were expecting DD to be actually good, and well, it failed. The characters were really boring. If it wasn't for Bamboo Man I wouldn't have finished it. He was the only character that was wroth watching for and that was only because he was the only character not following the rules of the world.

It sounds like you were expecting something from the show that the show wasn't. It was primarily a buddy cop comedy, and it did that really well. You wouldn't watch a Monty Python movie and complain that the characters don't have great development.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 10:39 am Reply with quote
[Quote=SHD]Amazing response, very mature, very professional, much befitting ANN's brand I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Again: not liking a show is one thing, going out of your way to call it a "disaster" in the review of an unrelated show just because it wasn't the show you expected/wanted it to be is a different thing. Also, this thing about trying to elevate something by crapping on something else is an attitude I'll never understand.[/quote]

They are related though. Double Decker was billed as a spinoff of Tiger and Bunny and, while I liked it at first, I was extremely disappointed by the end. That disappointed was the first thing that colored my perception of the upcoming T&B sequel and made me worry they were going to whiff it. That's why I brought it up, and not because I wanted to just rag on Double Decker.
Stelman257

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 12:34 am Reply with quote
Oh really? It totally reads like you just came out swinging and clobbered Double Decker for funzies ahaha. Which is fine but if there was an actual point too it, it didn't come across at all, but now that you've made that comment I see what you were getting at. I bet many people reading don't even realize Double Decker was meant to be a spinoff.
SmurfRockRune wrote:
I'm sorry, but the excuse that "it was fine for what it was trying to be" does not fly with me. It's like someone saying that they were only trying to do the bare minimum and that we should be OK with that. The bottom line is that we were expecting DD to be actually good, and well, it failed. The characters were really boring.

It sounds like you were expecting something from the show that the show wasn't. It was primarily a buddy cop comedy, and it did that really well. You wouldn't watch a Monty Python movie and complain that the characters don't have great development.

Yeah that's what I watched and enjoyed it for too, but I can understand that a show being billed as a spin-off to Tiger & Bunny choosing to just fly in a totally different direction, tone, style, writing and sorta genre wise as well, would absolutely not appeal to everyone who were fans of T&B and wanted more of that.
Dr. Wily

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 1:42 am Reply with quote
I'm a little late to this review but I'm enjoying the season thus far. I'm a little torn on how they're basically making Mr. Black and HIT into Tiger & Bunny Again, down to Black being a practiced hero and Thomas being a guy with a tragic backstory who chooses to forgo having an actual secret identity and just go by his name. On one hand it is kind of funny to see these two having the same "routine" (so to speak) to compare it to how Tiger and Barnaby have grown but on the other hand... well, it is the same routine, we've seen it. I guess the only real difference is that Black cares a lot more about the glory than Tiger ever did. Here's to hoping they start to develop a new dynamic after their focus episode and the mid-season finale.

Also I'm glad to see sponsors on the heroes again. Like I feel weird saying "I'm glad to see all these corporations and sponsorships Very Happy" but I watched a few episodes of the first series on Netflix as a refresher course (and because I realized on watching the first episode of T&B2 that I'd never actually watched the dub before) and seeing all the heroes with blank costumes was so weird. I get why it happened (and I'm sure there will come a time when all these deals run out that the logos will disappear from this series too) but I had gotten so used to them the first watch it felt strange, like watching a Superman movie and him showing up without an S. Of course it also felt strange seeing them get new sponsors ("Wait a minute, Blue Rose shills for Pepsi, this isn't right!") but at least there's something there now.

Oh, and a super-minor thing I appreciate them doing this season in the dub is them keeping Agnes saying "Bonjour" to the heroes. It was kind of a weird affectation/quirk/whatever you want to call it that she had that the localizers chose to just make into "Hello" when they put it into English the first time around.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2