• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim to Produce 2 New FLCL Seasons, Housing Complex C Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mirko The Bunny Gamer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:
Mirko The Bunny Gamer wrote:
garfield15 wrote:
Holy crap what the hell are you even thinking with the idea of making a 4th and 5th FLCL series.

as i previously stated adultswim thinks it's the best anime ever and jason demarco agrees

i have no idea why but they keep pushing for it to be like the rick and morty of anime...some major mainstream thing adultswim can utilize

My guess is that stuff they produce themselves is seen as a reason watch the network since it means it's at least something that hasn't already streamed elsewhere. There is currently nothing in the Toonami line up that can't be watched in some form elsewhere. Sure, Crunchyroll hosts the subbed version, but the dubbed version isn't enough. Attack on Titan subbed is weeks ahead, and the dubbed version shows up online less than a day after Toonami. That, I think, at least explains the interest in producing things that it would fully control.

As for FLCL itself, it could be that they like it that much, or it could be that it carries enough name recognition to at least get some interest.

I think they're in a pickle here. Making their own content comes with a lot of cost, and quite a lot of waiting for it to be finished. On the flip side, the cheaper licensed content doesn't draw an audience when it's mostly stuff that is "old."

honestly i thought the announcement was going to have to something to do with the show replacing made in abyss on the block(which concludes the first season in just a few more weeks)

however it seems like that will be a last minute announcement
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Yeah... I hate to be so immediately negative on something but more FLCL just reeks of “feeding the ego of one producer who's consumed by nostalgia” to me. I know it was a defining series for the block but does anyone really want more FLCL after Progressive and Alternative? Let the series end with some grace.
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I honestly forgot they already produced additional seasons of this. I'm not sure why Adult Swim is so obsessed with FLCL, but it really doesn't need all this additional material, especially since the last ones they made didn't seem to set the world on fire. I wonder if there truly is so much demand for this or it's just one guy at Adult Swim who really loves the show.
cutslo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:59 pm Reply with quote
DevilBrew wrote:
It wouldn't even be so bad if the producers hired people who had experience writing surrealist coming of age adolescent drama but they hired a bunch of no names.

Facts, Sonny Boy was a better sequel to FLCL than anything Adult Swim ever came up with. Didn't have them dank 90s memes though, so it doesn't count.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Yeah no. The two sequels were already unnecessary, yet alone one with CGI.
Matros

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:37 pm Reply with quote
One of the most influential animated shows turned into 3D. Great...
#Bird_Black

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:55 pm Reply with quote
Wait, is this going to be CG? Based on the teaser?
Abraham Omosun

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:58 pm Reply with quote
I didn't watch the sequels so I don't have any opinion about them and I get it was big on Toonami (Adult Swim?) back in the day but do we need more sequels. Like you could just do what this guy said:

Quote:
Like, Tsurumaki isn't tied down by the Rebuild films anymore, guys. If you're really that starved for content, you could just let him direct something original and then slap "DIRECTED BY THE CREATOR OF FLCL" all over the marketing.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Grunge no Hamster? When do we get Revenge no Lobster, will that be in the next set?

Really, they're just milking it now for every penny. Admittedly I never finished the previous spinoffs because I just didn't care.

You know that feeling? A band you really liked when you were younger have got back together and are playing your town. So you go, only to discover that the only member of the original band left is the drummer who's quite old now and lost his touch, the rest are just session musicians hired for the tour, and while they insist on doing their 'new material', it all pretty much sounds like third rate remixes of the songs that you loved.

That's what I feel about the FLCL sequels. Sometimes you can't go back, and it's a mistake trying.
cutslo

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 5:04 pm Reply with quote
#Bird_Black wrote:
Wait, is this going to be CG? Based on the teaser?

And the fact that MontBlanc is a CG studio.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Jesus could have just made a Big O sequel or something but instead more FLCL.

Man nostalgia is an annoying thing.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Approaching the news of more FLCL with cautious interest. Of the last pair of seasons, did find Progressive okay. But Alternative felt mostly directionless.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lizuka

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:41 pm Reply with quote
Honestly on the CG thing if that is what they're doing I don't mind it... for one show. Doing it for both would just be obviously lazy cost-cutting, but if it's just for Grunge then like, cool, whatever. The original FLCL experimented with a ton of different animation styles, might as well try out some new ones.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:44 pm Reply with quote
I don't have much interest in more Fooly Cooly content. Its a bit ridiculous no one here is talking about Housing Complex C it sounds like a breath of fresh air when it comes to original Toonami content give it actually well cast dope dub and I'll check that jam out.
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:56 pm Reply with quote
iamthevastuniverse wrote:
I don't have much interest in more Fooly Cooly content. Its a bit ridiculous no one here is talking about Housing Complex C it sounds like a breath of fresh air when it comes to original Toonami content give it actually well cast dope dub and I'll check that jam out.

I'd imagine it's because none of the western-produced anime collaborations have really gone anywhere in the last few years so nobody really cares.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4