• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Princess Connect! Re:Dive Season 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kilgamayan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:43 am Reply with quote
Richard Eisenbeis wrote:
While I remember that episode happening, I don't remember the Mercurious Foundation showing up at all! (Even before playing the game you'd think I'd remember a hard-drinking woman in priest-like robes!)

In your defense, she spent most of the episode either miserably slumped over a table or wrapped up in an octopus tentacle, so you didn't actually get to see what she was wearing very much.

...Wow, that sounds way more inappropriate than was intended.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:05 pm Reply with quote
So Pecorine has trouble revealing her true identity to Karyl, so why not tell Yuki in the meantime, since he was the other person she said she was going to tell.
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2022 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Man, Kaiser is such a boring character. This show would be way better without her.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 2:50 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
While I've enjoyed this series overall (including the last episode), I am increasingly feeling like I'm missing a lot since I haven't played the game(s). Is an anime-only viewer supposed to be able to follow all of this?
Ironically - while the anime itself deviates from the game plot basically since episode one (and only the very recent episodes actually pulling the twist of anime plot still being relevant, but more in the concept of metaverse space), it still built on the very same lore as a game - and it's basically one heck of the trip even for people who actually played the game, considering Re:Dive was basically built in XIV-like fashion on the ashes of the original PriConne.

So yeah, you're actually not missing a lot. Actually, there is more of a problem that anime actually trying to hide some really obvious things or rarely giving them much attention and focus, while also diluting the main plot lines with the simple fanservice while shuffling barely important stories from the obnoxiously big cast of the game.

MarshalBanana wrote:
So Pecorine has trouble revealing her true identity to Karyl, so why not tell Yuki in the meantime, since he was the other person she said she was going to tell.
Well, with the current Yuuki condition, I don't think he actually understands anything of the current Pecorine situation, even if she tells about it - he's still a child in mind, even when he gets slightly better than he was in the beginning.
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:46 am Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Well, with the current Yuuki condition, I don't think he actually understands anything of the current Pecorine situation, even if she tells about it - he's still a child in mind, even when he gets slightly better than he was in the beginning.

I disagree with this strongly
Since 2 episodes ago he's been MUCH better, going so far as hiding from Laby what she already knows this episode with the "Daijoubu", that he's not in a very good state at all.
pikrodafni

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:45 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

I thought it would be obvious she wants to tell Karyl first since she's the most important person to her atm.I mean she's friends with Yuki obviously but she has barely interacted with him outside of group stuff.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:44 am Reply with quote
Electric Wooloo wrote:
I disagree with this strongly
Since 2 episodes ago he's been MUCH better, going so far as hiding from Laby what she already knows this episode with the "Daijoubu", that he's not in a very good state at all.
It's not really better - it's more like the same feeling of a child who suddenly got hurt and totally feel pain - but instead of crying out he want to be strong and enduring it. Yuuki is clearly growing in mind and he wholesomly want to protect all of his friends, but even if Peco explain to him the truth about her, it barely change anything between them - for him she's a dear friend no matter who she is, and Pecorine think of him of more like younger brother than a best friends like Kyaru and Kokkoro.

Plus, letting him to charge against Kaiser in his current state is totally not advised either (and it's safe to say that is why Labyrista and Ameth still kept Yuuki in darkness, especially with what they know unlike Peco) - nor like we have any choice now, with Labyrista is now dead/captured and presumably Kyaru gonna be used too in the bigger scheme, while Kaiser clearly being strong.
Kilgamayan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
• We saw a lot of characters in this one but I don't recall seeing Twilight Caravan at all. I hope that means they've got a big part to play later in the climax.

Twilight Caravan did not make any sort of appearance, no. This is despite everyone in all the other guilds Gourmet has met so far making at least a cameo (outside of the obvious unresolved question marks in half of Nightmare and two-thirds of Labyrinth). My dearest hope is that they've been presented as troublesome individuals, if not pseudo-antagonists, for 1.8 seasons specifically so they can show up in the final climax as tide-turners. But time is running out on that front, and at the very least, Jun, Christina, and Twinkle Wish are all almost assuredly coming at Mana Senri for the pounds of flesh they feel they're owed.

I hate to imagine it, but I'm starting to think that the character most ready-made for this anime's brand of silliness may end up relegated to a silent half-second still shot in the very first episode of Season 1. :(

It was nice of the anime to give a nod to the existing fans that played through the first Halloween event by letting Miyako and Shinobu survive the assault on Diabolos together, at least. It's also almost criminal how little room these two seasons have had for a character as cool and good as Illya.
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Kilgamayan wrote:
Quote:
• We saw a lot of characters in this one but I don't recall seeing Twilight Caravan at all. I hope that means they've got a big part to play later in the climax.

Twilight Caravan did not make any sort of appearance, no. This is despite everyone in all the other guilds Gourmet has met so far making at least a cameo (outside of the obvious unresolved question marks in half of Nightmare and two-thirds of Labyrinth). My dearest hope is that they've been presented as troublesome individuals, if not pseudo-antagonists, for 1.8 seasons specifically so they can show up in the final climax as tide-turners. But time is running out on that front, and at the very least, Jun, Christina, and Twinkle Wish are all almost assuredly coming at Mana Senri for the pounds of flesh they feel they're owed.

I hate to imagine it, but I'm starting to think that the character most ready-made for this anime's brand of silliness may end up relegated to a silent half-second still shot in the very first episode of Season 1. Sad

It was nice of the anime to give a nod to the existing fans that played through the first Halloween event by letting Miyako and Shinobu survive the assault on Diabolos together, at least. It's also almost criminal how little room these two seasons have had for a character as cool and good as Illya.

Big sad about Ilya, yeah. I wish she got more screen time.
But in regards to Twilight Caravan, in the Weiss Flugel episode was had a tease of a Neneka butterfly talking to Mitsuki (And the "potion" mentioned that episode was supposedly made by Mitsuki) so I'd wager they're working with Neneka in some capacity, most likely Neneka is reaching out for help in some way, and will show up before the season is over.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Shadow Kaiser detracts from anything. She's still a copy of Mana and does what Mana would do. The swap probably happened after Neneka was captured when we first saw the two Kaisers. Real Kaiser had Pecorine teleported to her, while Shadow Kaiser is the one who ate with Karyl.

Considering how things are going I expect we'll get spoiler[Overlord form] early. Some are complaining that the Bonds aren't there, and while that might be true for other characters, it's not for the Gourmet Guild. The guild spends very little time together in the main story of the game, but in the anime they're always together.
Kilgamayan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:48 pm Reply with quote
My girl finally got to show up! And she was presented even better and funnier than I could have hoped for! Bless your chuuni self, Anna Hiiragi.

Props to Eriko for keeping her eyes on the prize when I was fully convinced she was specifically set up to be a mirror to Christina, by the way.
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
But while the fight against Shadow Kaiser works well as a climax to Pecorine and Karyl's story, it also introduces an unneeded complication to the narrative as a whole. While we have known that there were two Kaisers for a while now, learning that one was a fake (as opposed to a complete clone or some sort of shared consciousness) brings up a vital question: which Kaiser has done which things? Which Kaiser teleported Pecorine to torment her mid-battle? Is it the one who shared a meal with Kayrl? Hell, given the fact that the true Kaiser's character design is so radically different from what we've seen up until now, who's to say that we have ever seen the real one before? Maybe she has several Shadow Kaisers running about and we've only seen those. Can we even be sure of what we know about Kaiser's personality and motivations at this point?

I personally disagree with this. While Shadow Kaiser does perhaps change the context for Kyaru in regards to Episode 10 in particular (As now she has a shred of doubt again, as it wasn't Kaiser that used her as a puppet, but the "fake" kaiser), ultimately I don't think Shadow Kaiser throws anything else into doubt. Shadow Kaiser was almost certainly made by Kaiser for Kaiser, as evidenced by the context clues with the two Kaisers in previous episodes. Thus it ultimately doesn't matter which one confronted Peco or which one stabbed Labyrista, as those things were done by Kaiser, even if it was the Shadow doing those actions.

If I'm not being clear I guess what I mean is, because Shadow Kaiser was a creation of Kaiser and not, for example, another human underling, Shadow Kaiser's actions are for all intents and purposes Kaiser's Actions in my mind.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 5:25 pm Reply with quote
Electric Wooloo wrote:
Quote:
But while the fight against Shadow Kaiser works well as a climax to Pecorine and Karyl's story, it also introduces an unneeded complication to the narrative as a whole...

I personally disagree with this....

I might be wrong, but I think what you're saying, Wooloo, is that Shadow Kaiser is a direct reflection, if not entirely under the direct control of the real Kaiser. Meanwhile I think what Richard might be getting at is the idea that we don't know that for sure - if the real Kaiser was just asleep all this time (since the world reset) and the Shadow Kaiser was just doing whatever it wanted.

Personally I admit that it's not been made perfectly clear which the case is. However, I more or less agree with Wooloo's take. I highly doubt Kaiser said, "Im gonna check out. Shadow, just do whatever in my name." If she didn't create that Shadow, she was more than willing to let it cause all sorts of havoc, and then follow up by intending to pick up right where it left off. It'd be one thing if the episode cut right after Kaiser showed up and we were waiting until next week. At least there you have the potential head-fake or something. You'd at least have that doubt that MAYBE she was just an imprisoned victim and beating the Shadow Kaiser freed her.

But she shows up, thumps Jun, and is about to "devour" Karyl and Pecco - note the Shadow kept saying "sacrifice," leading to the assumption it was at least somewhat aware it had a purpose beyond itself. And there's no reason to think Kaiser wasn't the one that wrecked the last world either.

So the difference between Kaiser herself being directly responsible for any individual act, and her only being aware of the Shadow, let alone creating it specifically, is minute to non-important in any real sense.
Richard Eisenbeis
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:47 pm Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:
I think what Richard might be getting at is the idea that we don't know that for sure - if the real Kaiser was just asleep all this time (since the world reset) and the Shadow Kaiser was just doing whatever it wanted.

In regards to Kaiser, my issue is not if the true Kaiser is evil or not--she obviously is as from what we saw in the flashbacks to the previous world. (Though whether or not she is responsible for Shadow Kaiser's actions is another discussion all together--Kasumi's shadow had its own independent personality and thought process after all.)

My issue is the that the Kaiser who kidnapped Peccorine and had a meal with Karyl is more than a one dimensional villain. She can listen to and consider alternate opinions--and is even willing to try them out under the right circumstances. And not only can she be reasoned with, she seems to have at least some genuine affection for Karyl as well.

If the Kaiser who did the above this was a Shadow and not the true Kaiser, then all that complexity of character is basically lost. The true Kaiser becomes a boring villain that needs to be stopped and nothing more.
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:04 pm Reply with quote
DRosencraft wrote:

I might be wrong, but I think what you're saying, Wooloo, is that Shadow Kaiser is a direct reflection, if not entirely under the direct control of the real Kaiser. Meanwhile I think what Richard might be getting at is the idea that we don't know that for sure - if the real Kaiser was just asleep all this time (since the world reset) and the Shadow Kaiser was just doing whatever it wanted.

Yeah, that's what I was getting at more or less. Sorry if I was unclear, posted just before bed haha. It's been my impression, and this is fairly removed from any bias from knowing the game story spoiler[There is no shadow or 2nd Kaiser in the game... well yet I guess], that Kaiser created the Shadow Kaiser to be as close a replica of her as possible and has direct influence over it although probably not absolute control.

My current assumption is, and I kind of doubt the final episode will confirm or deny this but it's not a huge deal for me either way, as follows:
-Kaiser desires absolute control and power and to that end is using shadows to gather powerful souls
-Being a crown herself and thus knowing the other crown's abilities she goes after Neneka to absorb her and steal her ability(Neneka is hiding in the golem for an unestablished reason, which kind of irks me but I guess it was an alright hiding place)
-Once captured, she uses Neneka's ability (Note in the bathing scene with Kaiser she monologue's to herself that "Neneka has outdone herself") to transform a hand selected shadow into a duplicate of her.
-She then spends episodes 7 and 8 seeing how effective the clone is at fooling people, especially Kyaru. We see during both the bathing scene and the Kyaru/Kaiser picnic a 2nd Kaiser observing.
-Sufficiently satisfied that her body double is effective she immediately puts it to use in Episode 9 as a trump card to incapacitate Labyrista. That was the clone's main goal imo, to be something unexpected to those that remember the loops that can be used as a trump card.
-With Labyrista defeated and both her and Neneka captured Kaiser goes into the weird plant under the castle to power up while Shadow Kaiser rules in her place. My thought is that the plant directly transfers the souls/power/energy of everyone hooked into it to kaiser to power her up instead of into more shadow beasts.
-Kaiser, done with her transformation, wakes up to see how Shadow Kaiser has been doing in her absence at the end of episode 11

So in short I believe it goes
Episode 1-5: Just Kaiser with her army of regular shadows
Episode 6: Shadow Kaiser is created after Neneka is captured
Episodes 7-8: Kaiser tests Shadow Kaiser out by having her interact with people close to her
Episode 9: Kaiser uses Shadow Kaiser as a trump card against Labyrista
Episodes 10-11: Shadow Kaiser is in charge while real Kaiser is powering up

So by that timeline the Shadow Kaiser would only be in control of the kingdom these past 2 episodes, both were active from episodes 7-9 (Although Real Kaiser is the one in control) and for every episode before episode 6 of this season there is only 1 Kaiser, the Real one.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6