• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom Part 2 [2022-01-27]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 3:19 pm Reply with quote
You know, it's interesting that the author, through Souma, keep on quoting The Prince's "cruelty is fine as you do it just once and in a single, strong, strike", and then proceeds to strike more than once along the series. With zero consequences because he (the author/Souma) says he's right. I fail to see the "realism" (or even the hero) in the series.

Last edited by kgw on Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
PonSquared

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:12 pm Reply with quote
They had sex, no?

Also, any chance ANN could get some reviewers that actually enjoy watching Japanese cartoons? So tired of every review being another snooty art critic finding fault with literally everything. Rolling Eyes
Casval Rem Deikun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:14 pm Reply with quote
"It's just a non-stop barrage of wish fulfillment, which is something that frankly does not hold my interest." Well said. So many of these series are just that. I honestly prefer the ecchi/harem series that simply focus on what they aim to be. This is just boring.

I know more people watch then read but, The Ideal Sponger Life, should really get a anime. I think it will really set the bar to what people want out of a political-kingdom style series.
b-dragon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 4:30 pm Reply with quote
PonSquared wrote:
They had sex, no?

Also, any chance ANN could get some reviewers that actually enjoy watching Japanese cartoons? So tired of every review being another snooty art critic finding fault with literally everything. Rolling Eyes

Oh no, a critic...critiqued? I'm sorry, I don't understand the point of this complaint. If I wanted someone to ride the hype train with, I could find that. At worst, I have possession of a mirror. I come to a review site for reviews and recommendations. And if a show is not performing well, or is making questionable narrative or artistic decisions, I'd like that covered rather than glossed over. I don't always agree with the reviews- but getting upset because they pointed out issues they had with the show seems to miss the point of a review.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:03 pm Reply with quote
Casval Rem Deikun wrote:
"It's just a non-stop barrage of wish fulfillment, which is something that frankly does not hold my interest." Well said. So many of these series are just that. I honestly prefer the ecchi/harem series that simply focus on what they aim to be. This is just boring.

I know more people watch then read but, The Ideal Sponger Life, should really get a anime. I think it will really set the bar to what people want out of a political-kingdom style series.

considering how popular the light novels are in japan, its par for the course!

however, i would have a sneaky feeling if this had went all harem mode like other harem isekai series like smartphone and death march, it would have faced the same criticism for too much harem fanservice and not enough substance on plot!

damned if you do, damned if you dont!

hopefully this will be the last time that souma will ever have to employ these types of crulties for carla may have to fullfill his order and take his life before all that power does indeed go to his head & he become as tyranical as gaius amadonia!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lirsen

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Let's take the central event of this episode: the purging of the twelve ministers. As far as the audience is concerned, these are all brand-new characters—while they could have been in the background at one degree or another the entire time, we've not been given any indication that they exist. More to the point, they are, by Souma's own admission, descendants of families with deep, lasting ties to the throne who have helped guide or manipulate policy for generations. But Souma purges them with a cadre of catgirl assassins pulled from thin air, and without a second thought towards whatever consequences such an action may bring. It's not like the show is willing to explore said consequences anyway.

did you realy saw the full episode last week? because there is an after ending scene with ALL of them precisely talking about what happened this week
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:56 pm Reply with quote
b-dragon wrote:
PonSquared wrote:
They had sex, no?

Oh no, a critic...critiqued? I'm sorry, I don't understand the point of this complaint. If I wanted someone to ride the hype train with, I could find that. At worst, I have possession of a mirror. I come to a review site for reviews and recommendations. And if a show is not performing well, or is making questionable narrative or artistic decisions, I'd like that covered rather than glossed over. I don't always agree with the reviews- but getting upset because they pointed out issues they had with the show seems to miss the point of a review.

It's not really a critique if all you do is complain about how awful you think it is. At that point you're just hate watching and sharing your thoughts online.
myskaros

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
More to the point, they are, by Souma's own admission, descendants of families with deep, lasting ties to the throne who have helped guide or manipulate policy for generations.

They were also families who literally maintained ties to other countries in order to ride the waves rather than devote themselves to the country they belonged to. Standing back and watching as another country invaded just in case they could ingratiate themselves to the new conquerors does not inspire great confidence to the sitting ruler.
Antipathy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Ok I have been watching the anime and have read all 15 novel that have been translated so far, and while I have a few minor gripes about some points in the anime vs the LN those things have nothing to do with I am going to say, nor does my knowledge of what happens later in the LNs, given that up to this latest episode it is only the end of book 3.

Is the reviewer of this show just not paying attention this season, or did Mr. Grant Jones not bother with a rewatch of the first season to refresh himself just before this new season started? Hell last episode alone there was 3 instances foreshadowing of corrupt nobles that hid things to seem beyond reproach, the bit at the very end of the episode show a secret cabal of nobles talking about how to manipulate Souma after playing innocent for awhile seems to be something you really missed. Also in the last episode and last season it was shown and stated that there ae multiple hidden hands moving behind the scenes for good and evil ends. From last season such as Souma talking about Georg Carmine's plan to round up corrupt nobles to last episodes conversation between a covert ops agent and Hakuya talking about how things are going to well rooting out the last of the corruption in the kingdom.

Also Mr. Jones can you please do a better job when it comes to misleading language? They ones executed for treason were not Ministers, they are just nobles of the kingdom, if you had been paying attention this is a feudal society ruled by a monarchy . The only minister is now Hakuya as Prime Minister, everyone else is just a noble of some sort. There is no "council of ministers" to advise the king, just nobles exercising the power of their connections and station.

Everything Mr. Jones is complaining about has been shown either in this season of the previous one. ANN really needs to have their reviewers either rewatch pervious seasons of a show just before a new season comes out, or just not bother with reviewing continuation seasons of show because Mr. Jones here forgot major plot foreshadowing for the first cour.

Also to those talking about the authors reliance on Machiavelli really should either read the Prince or at the very least study up on it since most world leaders of the past 490 years, yes I know when it was published since I have been reading and rereading it for 25 years, use it to this day to govern. And to the poster talking about the "cruelty" part you really should read up on what those parts mean because Machiavelli was not using the simplified definition of that word that you are thinking of this is at you @Hiroki not Takuya, @kgw and @jr240483 you 3 making these statements show you never even read The Prince, even though it is only about 100 pages long excluding all the notes about names and sourcing at the end.
Wasureta

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Antipathy wrote:
Is the reviewer of this show just not paying attention this season, or did Mr. Grant Jones not bother with a rewatch of the first season to refresh himself just before this new season started? Hell last episode alone there was 3 instances foreshadowing of corrupt nobles that hid things to seem beyond reproach, the bit at the very end of the episode show a secret cabal of nobles talking about how to manipulate Souma after playing innocent for awhile seems to be something you really missed. Also in the last episode and last season it was shown and stated that there ae multiple hidden hands moving behind the scenes for good and evil ends. From last season such as Souma talking about Georg Carmine's plan to round up corrupt nobles to last episodes conversation between a covert ops agent and Hakuya talking about how things are going to well rooting out the last of the corruption in the kingdom.

Also Mr. Jones can you please do a better job when it comes to misleading language? They ones executed for treason were not Ministers, they are just nobles of the kingdom, if you had been paying attention this is a feudal society ruled by a monarchy . The only minister is now Hakuya as Prime Minister, everyone else is just a noble of some sort. There is no "council of ministers" to advise the king, just nobles exercising the power of their connections and station.

Thank you for pointing this out.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 8:53 pm Reply with quote
everydaygamer wrote:
b-dragon wrote:
PonSquared wrote:
They had sex, no?

It's not really a critique if all you do is complain about how awful you think it is. At that point you're just hate watching and sharing your thoughts online.

Uh, no, that's 100% still a critique. If the episode in question is genuinely that bad, then the review is, naturally, going to largely be negative as a result. You don't need to be a reviewer to realize this, this is just common sense. And it's not like all that Jones went and said was "the protag did a meanie thing and I don't like that Sadge", but he explained pretty well how the show makes zero attempt to explore the ramifications of such an extreme action either politically or in regards to Souma's character because, as the protagonist, Souma is inherently right according to the show.

And if the storytelling in a show like this is lacking, it's not like the production values are there to do any of the heavy lifting, so it's not like he's gonna bring any attention to those. This isn't Mushoku Tensei or Demon Slayer lol

And if I'm being honest, you wouldn't really be saying this if he forced himself to throw nothing but shallow praise toward the episode about how it was literally perfect and made no mistakes
Picky33

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:31 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
everydaygamer wrote:
b-dragon wrote:
PonSquared wrote:
They had sex, no?

Uh, no, that's 100% still a critique. If the episode in question is genuinely that bad, then the review is, naturally, going to largely be negative as a result. You don't need to be a reviewer to realize this, this is just common sense. And it's not like all that Jones went and said was "the protag did a meanie thing and I don't like that Sadge", but he explained pretty well how the show makes zero attempt to explore the ramifications of such an extreme action either politically or in regards to Souma's character because, as the protagonist, Souma is inherently right according to the show.

And if the storytelling in a show like this is lacking, it's not like the production values are there to do any of the heavy lifting, so it's not like he's gonna bring any attention to those. This isn't Mushoku Tensei or Demon Slayer lol

And if I'm being honest, you wouldn't really be saying this if he forced himself to throw nothing but shallow praise toward the episode about how it was literally perfect and made no mistakes

Honestly, we are all tired of the Negative Nancy approach of the reviewer as I said in my very first post in this thread, You don't like the show, Fine, find another way to approach it. Talk about the historical aspects and the references used. talk about styles, draw comparisons. Lets not forget ANN IS PAYING THIS PERSON to write articles/reviews if someone tried pulling this at the New York Times or The Sun or Daily whatever they would have been let go ages ago, Even Rodger Ebert doesn't like all the movies he reviews but even those reviews aren't passive aggressive complaints about having to review it.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:36 am Reply with quote
Antipathy wrote:
...Also to those talking about the authors reliance on Machiavelli really should either read the Prince or at the very least study up on it since most world leaders of the past 490 years...use it to this day to govern.... @Hiroki not Takuya, @kgw and @jr240483 you 3 making these statements show you never even read The Prince, even though it is only about 100 pages long ...
I'd be interested in knowing which leaders use it to guide their governance (maybe Putin?), there's a reason the phrase "Machiavellian" has a negative context. And you're correct, I have never read The Prince and that doesn't invalidate the observation that a bunch of philosophers from Aristotle to Confucius and lots more have written insightful treatises on politics and government but the author only draws from that book, seemingly as the foremost authority. Why should I have to read it? I'm not critiquing it's use in the narrative but observing that history (Armenia, etc.) teaches that purges can lead to long-term violence and if The Prince indicates otherwise, it's not correct. Like all philosophies, it's a collection of opinions and I'd say those don't trump those of you or I or anyone else. It's just food for thought....

Last edited by Hiroki not Takuya on Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:47 am; edited 1 time in total
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:45 am Reply with quote
I'm glad they had Liscia confirm that it still hurt accepting Souma having other wives even if she helped push for it. Not that she'd ever admit it to Souma.

Man, Castor and Carla really did screw themselves over. All that fuss for nothing and they basically lost everything, with Castor left with his mother-in-law and Carla reduced to a slave. Poor Castor pleading leniency for his daughter was tough to watch.

Nothing saves a girl from joining the Harem quite like being tasked with killing the protagonist if he ever goes too far because she's emotionally detached from him.

Carmine living his best life as medieval fantasy Batman. Also, Souma really did not tell Liscia beforehand that he wasn't actually going to kill Carmine? So she had to basically process her feelings for something that didn't actually happen? It's not like she can't keep a secret so I'm not sure what was gained by not telling her other than Souma assuming she'd see Kagetora eventually.

I guess nothing takes a man's mind off coldly executing a bunch of people quite like two girls in nothing but robes joining him in bed.

Looks like Roroa isn't happy about Julius being an idiot or Souma having his way with the kingdom and is ready to make her move.
Lirsen

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:13 am Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:

Uh, no, that's 100% still a critique. If the episode in question is genuinely that bad, then the review is, naturally, going to largely be negative as a result.

No, the episode is not bad, is bad only in the views of the reviewed, a bad episode doesn't have this community valoration

How would you rate episode 5 of
How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom (TV 2) ?
Community score: 4.2

Quote:
You don't need to be a reviewer to realize this, this is just common sense. And it's not like all that Jones went and said was "the protag did a meanie thing and I don't like that Sadge", but he explained pretty well how the show makes zero attempt to explore the ramifications of such an extreme action either politically or in regards to Souma's character because, as the protagonist, Souma is inherently right according to the show.

are we seeing the same series? because it's evident trhat they adressed the personal part in the ramifications when souma go to the bed, because even if he aknowledges what hehave to do he doesn't like it and affected mentaly him, remember the talk between liscia and aisa. and for the political ramifications wait and see, you making the exactly same mistake as the reviewer, asuming that they will not adress it because they didn't do in the episode. if the third time in 5 episodes that the reviewer ( and yourself seeing this comment) make the same mistake, this is not a episodic series, that you can analice standalone,but one with the plot evolving every single episode with explications further the line when they are convenient.

Quote:

again, asuming things without taking into account what happened before and ignoring it because it confirms your false bias.

Quote:

he didn't tell that. he told that, if like what we are seeing, he doesn't like the series at leats detach himself ( his personal opinion) from the review. Simply look at community score and reviewered score, something bad is happening when the community values this series hightly ( episodes 1-3 R: 3/2.5/2, C:4.1/3.9/4; episode 4: 3.5 vs 4.0 and episode 5: 2 vs 4.1) and the reviewer poorly
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10