• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Otakon 2022 Event to Require COVID-19 Vaccination, Masks

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:24 am Reply with quote
Anime NYC used New York State's Excelsior Pass app that's used all over the state for proof (they already keep a record whenever you get the Covid shots) - for privacy, it generates a QR code that can be scanned and simply shows if you're good to go
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:28 am Reply with quote
Good to see them doing this, and announcing it far enough ahead that people can be prepared. It's probably not going to be perfect, but holding larger, in-person events is going to necessitate more serious mitigation measures.
One of the reasons I skipped my local 2021 convention, despite having a rolled-over registration from 2020, was that the convention itself didn't do a good job of making its own rules clear. Its message boards were full of bickering about what rules applied, with the hotel's being the most restrictive to the state's being the least, and the convention seemed to being playing it pretty loose, right down to selling more badges at the door, which they weren't going to do until they reversed within days of the start.
Swami.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:29 pm Reply with quote
No thanks, I’ll pass.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Swami. wrote:
No thanks, I’ll pass.

Same here. It also means more money saved.
Aresef

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
If tickets are required and need to be purchased in advance, couldn't the vaccination screening be part of the ticket purchase? No vac - no ticket - no entry. I think authenticity of each applicant's vaccination, identification and the ticket, once received, could be verified quickly while subverting forgery attempts adequately with available technology.

Not workable. If you're buying a membership and getting a badge mailed, there's no proof when you come to the con that you're the one using it (unless someone scans the barcode on the back and asks for your ID). In any case, the DC mandate requires vax proof at the door, though there's nothing stopping the con from checking just the once, slapping a wristband on and considering that proof for the rest of the weekend.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2