• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba Entertainment District Arc

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:

I'm curious as to why that bothers you considering that the entire premise of the show is based and focused on the supernatural.

KarlFranz wrote:

It's a very common Asian belief that dead love one watch over their still living family. It's a very spiritual elements and most Japanese viewers don't need to be explain about it.

I mean, that's a pretty universal belief in general. My problem lies with the fact that I can't be bothered to care about Tanjiro's interchangeable siblings, so their scenes have no impact on me. I'd rather they give speaking lines to the one member of Tanjiro's family who's actually alive Laughing
#933604n

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:17 pm Reply with quote
I think this review is fascinating.

When I watched the episode, and the scene where the brother emerges from the demon girl´s back, my jaw hit the floor. It was handled in such a masterful way.

If the girl was from the start up to the level of a high-ranking demon, it would have been pointless to pit her against anyone except the hashira. But the fact that at first she was fighting without her full body (being divided because her cloth-tentacle was away) and then Tanjiro discoreved his sort of suicidal super-breath (which seemingly consists of not breathing?) technique and rose above her level for a moment. Having stablished beforehand how strong the top ranking demons are, the moment was very exciting.

Then the whole Nezuko reveal, and the fear migrating from her dying to the demon to her becoming an even more dangerous demon, really acrobatic, how the whole situation evolved, just top-notch shounen "entertainment" keeping you on the edge of your seat BUT without resorting to anything cheap, you know like dumb cliffhangers; all these moments serve as a connections to awesome concepts (like the danger of being in front of the sun-breathing technique awakening within the demon-girl the memories of her master fighitng what was likely the head of the corps, back when he was healthy)

Phenomenal production values, but also profoundly well crafted. Of course then the sudden beheading of the demon at the hands of the hashira felt a bit like a "One Punch Man" style of joke...all that tension around trying to find the demon, then fighting it in waves, the poof it´s gone, and all that remains is this comical thing.

Yet because it persist...because it lingers...the grotesque, tragic, and creepy/uncanny nature of the moment starts to become more and more apparent, overtaking the humor...

The shots slowly shift in tone, and it becomes downright horrifying, to have this childish female monster bawling, decapitated and the hashira warrior slowly understanding the situation is not what had judged it to be.

BOOM

Oniiiichaaaan!

Un-believable, every hair in my body stood up as the shadow being was revelaed. Conceptually it´s so genius to have the other side of the demon girl, a boy seemingly defined by his envy and insecurity, be her real, male, combat strenght.

I found the "take" the review here fascinating because it was so fantastically blind to all the beauty at hand, and the general beauty of the show. How can someone perceive a world so different to the one in front of me? One so poor? Instead of pitying the soul, I find the distance between us, the distance between the two episodes we witnessed, fascinating. The need to affirm a certain narrative makes it so things can only be perceived insofar as they can be arranged to affirm the very bland, very weak, very simple little tale over and over again.

"Let us notice, again and again, the same little "tale", to the detriment of every other possible thing"

As Mr. Spock would say: "fascinating"

(not nearly as fascinating a monster as the baddass one features in this baddass episode though)

(There will be so many doujinshis where Nezuko steps on things/beings in the near future, looking forward to those)
zekro94

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:00 pm Reply with quote
Like others said, Nezuko beeing a demon is a curse that she can't control so of course she won't have battles on her own since right now she's like a toddler in terms of mentality. She barely remembers some things so her remembering her mother is a big thing.

It still feels strange how Daki went from "Ara Ara" to " Oniichan, help"
It makes for an interesting contrast however and it helps introduce the brother. I for one would give this episode a 5 out 5
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:40 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:
So I'm not sure if Gotoge is trying to expand something about the dead characters and finally explain why is it that Muzan didn't kill Nezuko.

I've always been under the impression that he wanted her to kill Tanjiro and eliminate the threat he posed (the same threat his father did). He keeps sending others to do the job as if he's afraid to face him, though it seems he could easily kill him at this or earlier stages of his growth. And having his sister do the job would appeal to his sense of macabre irony. Now he's just frustrated that she's not functioning as planned and all his minions keep failing too.

"...he threatens Uzui with an imminent disembarking..." He did what now?
tintor2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I didn't read the first season reviews but I think I get the reviewer's dislike based on a certain event. In the forest filled with spiders, Tanjiro fought a demon who completely overpowered him and destroyed his sword. During this scene, for a second everybody thought that Tanjiro would defeat the demon by imitating his father's dance for the first time. However, the attempt is a failure. Then the weakened Nezuko awakens and spits fire that connects with Tanjiro's sword creating the first Hinokami Kagura. That episode got a really major impact in the audience based on the scores so it kinda sold the idea that Kamados should fight together. On the other hand, in this episode Nezuko fighting alone was rejected not only by the Hashira but also her brother because of her almost complete transformation into a demon. I liked the episode but I can see why the reviewer not.
Covnam

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Interesting twist that the Uppers aren't so easy to kill in the usual fashion, at least if it requires her brother to be killed first unlike other demons. I guess that could be iirc it hasn't been done before.

The brother coming out of her back was a pretty great scene from a horror aspect (along with other things like the burns), but I didn't like how it required Daki to devolve into a child.

I'd also like to see more done with Nezuko.
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:54 pm Reply with quote
Covnam wrote:
Interesting twist that the Uppers aren't so easy to kill in the usual fashion, at least if it requires her brother to be killed first unlike other demons. I guess that could be iirc it hasn't been done before.

The brother coming out of her back was a pretty great scene from a horror aspect (along with other things like the burns), but I didn't like how it required Daki to devolve into a child.

I'd also like to see more done with Nezuko.

Let just say Daki never grow out of the mental age of when she first turn into a demon.
Kaoru G

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I initially felt surprised at the reviewer having not read the primary source material at all for such a globally popular series (so popular that the Mugen ressha released in countries where anime films don't even receive regular screenings) and voicing his opinions weekly solely based on the content shown in the anime(which has been sticking very close to the manga and hasn't steered away). But then again it was his own choice not to do so and I can fully understand that.
However, it really feels like he's reviewing the anime just for the sake of doing so. I frankly cannot sense any excitement or eagerness from the reviewer. If you aren't really interested in the show or it's characters, it's alright. If this isn't to your liking, move to another one and tell the crew to let someone else review it. Because these reviews look more like "need to be fulfilled obligations" rather than those done with optimism, proper criticism and respect.

Which is why I always personally feel, especially in cases like these where you seem to have a lot of doubts, it's better to sit down and spend some time reading the original source material, go back to the anime and look at it from a broader perspective.

Views are strictly personal people. No harm or ill intention intended. Cheers. Stay safe and healthy.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:24 pm Reply with quote
Kaoru G,

You're soapboxing again. Any further criticisms that the reviewer hasn't read the source material or that they aren't demonstrating sufficient excitement will be removed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Kaoru G wrote:

Which is why I always personally feel, especially in cases like these where you seem to have a lot of doubts, it's better to sit down and spend some time reading the original source material, go back to the anime and look at it from a broader perspective.

If the anime can't stand on its own merits without knowing the source material, it fails as an adaptation. I don't necessarily think that's the case with KnY fwiw, but just know you're not really helping the show's case by saying the reviewer should read the manga to "get" it. I also don't see how reading the manga would help if supposedly the anime is adapting it almost frame by frame.
Kaoru G

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:04 am Reply with quote
Errinundra wrote:
Kaoru G,

You're soapboxing again. Any further criticisms that the reviewer hasn't read the source material or that they aren't demonstrating sufficient excitement will be removed.

Oh dear, please don't get me wrong. No harm/ill intent intended towards anyone.
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:14 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Kaoru G wrote:

If the anime can't stand on its own merits without knowing the source material, it fails as an adaptation. I don't necessarily think that's the case with KnY fwiw, but just know you're not really helping the show's case by saying the reviewer should read the manga to "get" it. I also don't see how reading the manga would help if supposedly the anime is adapting it almost frame by frame.

Well the anime despite adapting the manga frame by frame , they have very difference tone compare to each other. Reading the manga and watching the anime are 2 completely difference experience. I don't say that this is a bad adaptation, i'm saying that the manga and the anime offer difference things. The anime is more focus in the action and the epic factor while the manga is more somber and focus more in the emotional elements. There is also the difference art style which effect the tone greatly.
TheWonderOfYou

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:36 am Reply with quote
"... I was even more excited at the prospect of Nezuko finally getting some character development after all this time."

Examples like this is why James' reviews are often considered controversial.

Complaints arise because he probably made a detailed scanario in his mind what he wants to see, but if Kimetsu doesn't cater to it, then it's not good enough.

I highlighted the character development of Nezuko, because I think James himself has no idea what could be changed about her that counts as character development.

Established groundwork from Season 1 already told the viewers about her state. She barely has any intelligence to be functional, but to put her into good use, she got suggestion hypnosis from Urokodaki to protect humans, consider them as her family. Even though she is a demon. She magnificently did her job so far.

So just because this is her intended role, she should be somehow developed now even when she can't talk and basically lives on animalistic insticts and the desire to protect humans? If she dares to hurt a single human, Urokodaki and Tomioka commits seppuku. It's not a half-assed resolution, and Tanjirou would also be punished. Heck, if Uzui would have seen her biting a human while Tanjirou is out cold, he most likely would have killed her on the spot instead of shitting on Tanjirou making a scene in front of the Pillars.
LuffyTDS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 8:57 am Reply with quote
TheWonderOfYou wrote:
"... I was even more excited at the prospect of Nezuko finally getting some character development after all this time."

Examples like this is why James' reviews are often considered controversial.

Complaints arise because he probably made a detailed scanario in his mind what he wants to see, but if Kimetsu doesn't cater to it, then it's not good enough.

Nezuko is supposed to be one of the emotional cores of the show. The person our main character cares about the most. The goal of turning her back to normal is one of the biggest things we're supposed to want to happen. So if someone finds it hard to care about her because the show likes to treat her more like a pet than like an actual character, it's totally reasonable for them to want some development from her. Everyone who has watched the show knows how the author wrote Nezuko's situation, the point is we wish she hadn't been written that way in the first place. Nezuko's recent fight was cool, but I was disappointed to see "well you got to do your one thing for the arc, back to the box you go".
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:06 am Reply with quote
TheWonderOfYou wrote:
I highlighted the character development of Nezuko, because I think James himself has no idea what could be changed about her that counts as character development.

I mean -- she could develop the ability to use words in fits and starts, showing her struggle with sentience and being a 'moral demon'? I don't think it's all that hard to imagine writing her as a character with a bit more depth.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 8 of 14