• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses Teasing Master Takagi-san 3 Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:41 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I suppose if Sentai also released season 2 on home video, the ideal legal method of watching this would be on Blu-Ray(I assume Funimation put out a Blu-Ray of season 1?).

They did, twice!

https://www.rightstufanime.com/Teasing-Master-Takagi-san-Blu-ray
https://www.rightstufanime.com/Teasing-Master-Takagi-san-Essentials-Blu-ray
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Love how the people who are bringing up non-English dubs aren't complaining when Funi gets a title instead of CR, when CR does more languages of foreign dubs compared to Funi's English, Spanish and Portugese.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I don't really get why this title, of all titles, keeps playing licensing musical chairs for each subsequent season, and I'm honestly surprised Sentai managed to snag this instead of Funimation if it was up for grabs and Netflix didn't want it again.

Although I guess this does present an opportunity to bring back the season 1 English dub cast, unless, for hilarity's sake, we get yet another new Takagi cast. Although assuming they can also dub season 2 on DVD and they'll be doing a movie, maybe dub continuity can be possible with Takagi.
DamianSalazar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 3:34 pm Reply with quote
A licensing bruh moment.
MushroomMan674

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Of all the multi season anime to get broken up over 3 different licensors...Takagi-san? Really?
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:00 pm Reply with quote
This is absolutely nuts.

S1 is licensed to Funimation, and has a BR out.

S2 is licensed to Netflix, but no BR.

Now s3 is licensed to Sentai/HiDive, which will probably release the BR later in 2022.

One show, three different streaming services. No wonder people are sailing the seven seas.
Kalhiki

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:03 pm Reply with quote
[quote="LegitPancake"]
Angel M Cazares wrote:

But Sentai literally announced the movie license at the same time as S3?
Quote:
Sentai announced today that it acquired the latest season of Teasing Master Takagi-san as well as the forthcoming Teasing Master Takagi-san feature film

Angel M Cazares wrote:

Ah. Yeah, article here should be updated for folks like me who don't care to read the press releases Embarassed

In that case, I do hope hope Sentai can nab and redub S2. I honestly wasn't even aware S2 got dubbed (I think I've only watched this one subbed), but for consistency, I'd prefer the same cast throughout. Assuming they reunite the S1 dub cast, that is.
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:20 pm Reply with quote
It'd be funny in a sad kinda way if they got a third dub cast.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:33 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
Although I guess this does present an opportunity to bring back the season 1 English dub cast, unless, for hilarity's sake, we get yet another new Takagi cast.
Hey there is a slight chance that could happen if either the ADR Director wants a new cast or the old cast doesn't have the time to reprise their roles.
tsog

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:36 pm Reply with quote
Amazon Prime, you are up next Laughing

I doubt Netflix got outbid, so this feels more like them subtly admitting Takagi-san didn't get the viewership they expected.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:05 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
I don't really get why this title, of all titles, keeps playing licensing musical chairs for each subsequent season, and I'm honestly surprised Sentai managed to snag this instead of Funimation if it was up for grabs and Netflix didn't want it again.

Maybe because Funi did not want to overbid for this show. (Or maybe, its an admittance that this show did not also did well on CR/Funi)
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I hope this means that Sentai is working on saving the second season from Netflix purgatory. I’d much rather Sentai get this new season than freaking Netflix.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:10 pm Reply with quote
DeTroyes wrote:
This is absolutely nuts.

S1 is licensed to Funimation, and has a BR out.

S2 is licensed to Netflix, but no BR.

Now s3 is licensed to Sentai/HiDive, which will probably release the BR later in 2022.

One show, three different streaming services. No wonder people are sailing the seven seas.

Because anime piracy (at least in well-served areas) is a pricing problem, and viewers expect to get every anime out there for under $10 a month?

Maybe this situation isn't ideal, but if this franchise had aired in the mid/late 2000s, you'd be looking at spending $270-$360 on DVDs that came out years after the broadcast, just to legally consume these three seasons. Spending that much on Funi/Netflix/HiDive over the course of a year or two gets not only Teasing Master Takagi, but also a majority of airing anime (as they're aired in Japan, or within a few months thereof) and a pretty good chunk of mainstream content as well. Hardly an anti-consumer state of affairs.
Dissident_Ranger

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:53 pm Reply with quote
Since, it is neither in Funimation, Crunchyroll and Netflix I am gonna pirate it and they can't blame me. Feel sorry that people really have to look for 3 different subscription to watch 3 season of same anime legally, what an effing mess.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:03 am Reply with quote
Well you can't argue that this show isn't aptly named, can you?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3