• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Rurouni Kenshin Gets New TV Anime by Liden Films

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:27 am Reply with quote
Alphonae wrote:
Aniplex has been on a total roll.
Ayakashi Triangle, Bleach and now the Kenshin anime.

In Japan at least, Aniplex has always been part of older Bleach & Kenshin anime production commitee.
I'd imagine they're not gonna hand them over to any other producers.

Last edited by L'Imperatore on Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Alphonae

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:28 am Reply with quote
I Am Audrey, how are you wrote:
Alphonae wrote:
Aniplex has been on a total roll.
Ayakashi Triangle, Bleach and now the Kenshin anime.

Well now it's up to the licensors, for Bleach it's gonna be Viz, they've already posted a trailer. As for Kenshin it may go to FuniRoll due to it being in the Sony family with AoA, just my assumption though

Funimation is literally a subsidary of Aniplex, so yeah.
Honestly, nowadays I get relieved whenever Aniplex produces something because I know it's gonna end up on platforms of my prefrence, unlike Netflix and Disney.
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:31 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
If you look at the YouTube comments on the Aniplex trailer, no one is commenting on the author's CP issue. Seems like that fact did not enter the public consciousness, or that they forgot about it.

It shouldn't be an issue here either. Every time something related to the author's CP issues comes up on this website, people always spam the comments section of every article, and honestly it gets annoying every time. Like, we get it, the guy got off with a slap on the wrist. Move on. If you don't plan on watching the anime, then don't watch it.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:40 am Reply with quote
Yeah, add me to the chorus of people who won't be watching this for obvious reasons. I can accept that I still own my old blu-ray of the Trust & Betrayal OVAs (and even then, its hard enough to revisit them that I really haven't in their entirety), but I draw a firm personal line at supporting any new works or directly contributing to the author receiving royalties. Even if that's just adding viewership for whatever streaming service licenses this.

There's a scale of allowance for separating the art from the artist and this falls firmly on the "nope" side of said scale.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:41 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
If you look at the YouTube comments on the Aniplex trailer, no one is commenting on the author's CP issue. Seems like that fact did not enter the public consciousness, or that they forgot about it.
Or it's just become too dull and boring to even mention the fact that Watsuki got jailed once for keeping ol' CP VHS - what was considered as only minor crime by the japanese laws (and that is listed as a crime only recently by that time) every single discussion when it's about the news about Kenshin comes into western media.

Basically - Japanese people stopped care about that basically at the sane time when he even got out of the court, and looking by the sales of Hokkaido Arc - he still revelant author as ever.

And by the news: I more concern about LIDEN doing that, cause if it's full remake - they are not the studio suited for the job and most likely bust it even harder than Berserk was.

If it's just Jinchuu arc, that is 50/50 and probably still not meet the soul of old series. Though if Bleach can meet it's end after all this years, why Kenshin cannot... oh, right, Hokkaido Arc is still going.

Last edited by WANNFH on Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:43 am; edited 1 time in total
SP654

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:43 am Reply with quote
Oh now after all these years they decided to reboot this
Glordit

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:52 am Reply with quote
inb4 mods clean the thread

I'm glad we getting more Kenshin after a decade. I don't care about the drama surrounding the author.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 1:54 am Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Ermat_46 wrote:
Or it's just become too dull and boring to even mention the fact that Watsuki got jailed once for keeping ol' CP VHS - what was considered as only minor crime by the japanese laws (and that is listed as a crime only recently by that time) every single discussion when it's about the news about Kenshin comes into western media.

Basically - Japanese people stopped care about that basically at the sane time when he even got out of the court, and looking by the sales of Hokkaido Arc - he still revelant author as ever.

And by the news: I more concern about LIDEN doing that, cause if it's full remake - they are not the studio suited for the job and most likely bust it even harder than Berserk was.

If it's just Jinchuu arc, that is 50/50 and probably still not meet the soul of old series. Though if Bleach can meet it's end after all this years, why Kenshin cannot... oh, right, Hokkaido Arc is still going.

Aren't LIDEN FILMS also doing Tokyo Revengers S2? And given that the new Ruroni Kenshin anime is being funded by Aniplex, I bet that the show will made in dire conditions (just like what has happened to 86, Magia Record, WEP, TPN S2 and what is currently happening on the upcoming Tokyo 24th Ward anime).

EDIT: Changed "being made by Aniplex" -> "being funded by Aniplex"

Last edited by Ermat_46 on Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:03 am; edited 1 time in total
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:01 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
Aren't LIDEN FILMS also doing Tokyo Revengers S2? And given that the new Ruroni Kenshin anime is being made by Aniplex, I bet that the show will made in dire conditions (just like what has happened to 86, Magia Record, WEP, TPN S2 and what is currently happening on the upcoming Tokyo 24th Ward anime).

Tokyo Revengers S2, alongside Saiyuki Zeroin, Tribe Nine, Ryman's Club, and Call of the Night (not to mention the fact that they already aired 8 anime in 2020). I'm (very naively) hoping the fact that they have a few substudios is lightening the load a tiny bit.
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:04 am Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:

Now that I think about it, another one of my worries is the possibility that they're gonna pull another Shaman King remake, and decide to rush through the earlier arcs from the manga to get to the Kyoto and Jinchuu arcs, which are the most popular of the manga.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:18 am Reply with quote
I don't get the appeal of Rurouni Kenshin that people are so nostalgic for it that they're willing to overlook Watsuki's disgusting crimes when there's a lot better samurai anime out there by better creators who are decent people like Gintama, Samurai Champloo, Sword of the Stranger, and Seven Samurai. I know it's still big in Japan for some reason, but at least in US fandom it seems like modern anime fans don't even really know who Kenshin is and it's only 30 year olds who grew up with it on Toonami that still remember the show. Kenshin doesn't have the same sort of lasting staying power with US fandom as like Goku or Naruto or Bleach even. But even though Kenshin is supposedly big in Japan and Western white fans keep using "cultural differences" as their argument to defend Watsuki, I find it noteworthy they dumped the Kenshin anime on a lesser studio like Liden Films and not a bigger studio like MAPPA or even the original company, Studio Deen.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:36 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
But even though Kenshin is supposedly big in Japan and Western white fans keep using "cultural differences" as their argument to defend Watsuki, I find it noteworthy they dumped the Kenshin anime on a lesser studio like Liden Films and not a bigger studio like MAPPA or even the original company, Studio Deen.
Loading MAPPA even more than what was hung on them already with their workload production is even bigger crime against the actual people, let them rest already! Plus Deen is actually not the best choice either, and actually even worse than LIDEN when it comes to modern production - Orphen is quite bad, and 7DS last season is notoriously known for it's bottom-hitting animation (which they are outsourced to other studio outside of Japan).

LIDEN in other way got the major breakthrough hit recently with the Tokyo Revengers - so that's probably the reason why they are chosen.

Last edited by WANNFH on Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:44 am; edited 2 times in total
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:42 am Reply with quote
WANNFH wrote:
Loading MAPPA even more than what was hung on them already with their workload production is even bigger crime against the actual people, let the people rest!

Plus Deen is actually not the best choice either, and actually even worse than LIDEN when it comes to modern production - Orphen is quite bad, and 7DS last season is notoriously known for it's bottom-hitting animation (which they are outsourced to other studio outside of Japan).

LIDEN in other way got the major hit recently with the Tokyo Revengers, so that's probably the reason why they are chosen.
MAPPA is just an example like how they're doing Chainsaw Man next year. The point you're missing is there's tons of other bigger anime studios they could have picked if they had actual faith in this new Kenshin anime being a big success and they went with the studio that made Terra Formers and Berserk 2016. We've already seen the mixed results Shaman King's reboot got being adapted by Bridge.

Last edited by Cardcaptor Takato on Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Seraph89

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:48 am Reply with quote
I've been meaning to register so I can post in the forums for a long time. Congratulations y'all for finally kicking me in the ass and giving me the impetus to do it.

OKAY! SO!

While the continued use of female seiyu to voice adult male characters also bugs the absolute shit out of me like some here I'm going to drop a short history lesson here on why using one for Himura Kenshin is not only more than ok its absolutely ideal.

Kenshin is based on a little known figure from the Bakamatsu known as Kawakami Gensai. Gensai is noted to, much like another Japanese figure Uesugi Kenshin, to have been incredibly pretty (though unlike Kenshin he had children so we know for historical fact he was a guy).

If there was ever a character who absolutely needed to be given an androgynous voice its Himura Kenshin.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:48 am Reply with quote
Cardcaptor Takato wrote:
MAPPA is just an example like how they're doing Chainsaw Man next year. The point you're missing is there's tons of other bigger anime studios they could have picked if they had actual faith in this new Kenshin anime being a big success and they went with the studio that made Terra Formers and Berserk 2016.
And like I said - it's most likely because of Tokyo Revengers, cause it become that big major hit in Japan - literally on the same level as JJK that done by MAPPA.

So yes, they sure have enough faith about it being successful as THAT, though it doesn't mean LIDEN can actually handle it.

Last edited by WANNFH on Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:54 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10