• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix Cancels Live-Action Cowboy Bebop Show

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shawn Shaolin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:04 am Reply with quote
I thought the show was good. It was different. It was new. It tried new things. I have seen the anime many times and I liked what they did with it. Leave it to people and their blogs to ruin a good thing. I dunno, Big Mouth, Cuties, Tiger King, Shameless, they all stink and they go on and on, but Bebop gets cancelled? Injustice. Sheer injustice. Evil moves. Evil is afoot. And that evil is people who waste their lives writing reviews for Rotten Tomatoes. I liked the Netflix Cowboy Bebop. That's the hill I'm standing on. Netflix don't need my money. I'll cancel and just deal with HBO Max. I'm so angry. John Cho made a great Spike Spiegel.
Amiantos

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 5:52 am Reply with quote
animedude1982 wrote:

Like I said, Netflix is working on a Gundam adaptation too. I was hopeful but now i'm actually worried. I'm ready for it to suck..

Dunno if it changed hands or this is the work specified but I remember in 2018 Legendary was announced to be working on it then it cold on anything other than that. Maybe this that project since Sunrise and Legendary don't view the box office as reliable for the foreseeable future and Netflix has the distro rights, but as per usual they claim its their creation when its not.

But yeah if it is made by netflix then I don't see any hope for it and I pray the Legendary one is still being made then so at lest it could be some mindless amusement like King of the Monsters and Kong vs Goji
IG

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:48 am Reply with quote
garfield15 wrote:
I saw it coming when Netflix didn't announce a new season within that first two weeks. The combination of bad review scores and that led me to believe that this was probably going the way of the Death Note movie "sequel". It's honestly not that surprising when you look at everything.

Feel bad for that one guy who kept posting Netflix statistics saying how successful it was though. I heard that the viewing statistics showed practically nobody was finishing the show.
The Death Note sequel is still happening with a new director.
trilaan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:16 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the series. It was better than any live-action anime film or series adaptation I've seen except the Rurouni Kenshin movies and Battle Angel Alita. It worked perfectly well, a fine season. And definitely better if you can leave expectations at the door(clearly impossible for many). I hope Netflix reconsiders and I will gladly sign any season 2 petitions I come across.

Can we try Trigun someday?
Ulinox

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:43 am Reply with quote
This show has got much more flak than it deserves. It looks way better than most sci-fi shows out there and it has good chemistry between the main characters with a lot of humor and heart. I'd much rather want a second season of this than see Netflix make an atrocious adaption of something like One Piece or Gundam.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:07 am Reply with quote

Imagine taking the Bebop IP and turning it into one of the worst adaptations of all time. Just imagine! Nothing worked here, astonishing. You're gonna carry that weight, dear showrunners.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hikaru Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:22 am Reply with quote
IG wrote:
garfield15 wrote:
I saw it coming when Netflix didn't announce a new season within that first two weeks. The combination of bad review scores and that led me to believe that this was probably going the way of the Death Note movie "sequel". It's honestly not that surprising when you look at everything.

Feel bad for that one guy who kept posting Netflix statistics saying how successful it was though. I heard that the viewing statistics showed practically nobody was finishing the show.
The Death Note sequel is still happening with a new director.

Going on 5 years and it’s still being (re)written… Don’t get your hopes up.
Picky33

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:06 am Reply with quote
My big worry is studios will not try to create anymore live actions adaptions of anime because they worry they'll be dammed if they do dammed if they don't for trying to create an adaption of a source.

Thing I noticed is how many people on this thread have not watched it but still have an opinion.

I will not say it was perfect, I still haven't finished it, I'm only halfway through and haven't watched an episode in a while. My biggest gripe with the series is each episode in the anime followed a different musical theme (Swing, Bebop, Metal, etc.) but the Netflix adaption throws it out the window.

I think some Live actions of anime have been good, not great, but good. I also think there are some live actions that if you take the source material away, would be good movies.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:17 am Reply with quote
The viewership is the only reason right? I can not see them cancelling just because of low ratings, providing that people are consuming it they don't care.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:01 am Reply with quote
earl.m wrote:
Western anime adaptations fail? Alita: Battle Angel made $400 million global and that was with it getting totally screwed by Disney (the movie was made by Fox before Disney bought them) with a February release date and a generic marketing campaign. Alita: Battle Angel was (mostly) the same story as the original OVA but with a very talented cast and modern special effects. It gave Gunnm fans, anime fans, even generic cyberpunk sci-fi fans what they wanted.

"Alita" was also the final film for Fox Films as we knew them.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:03 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
The viewership is the only reason right? I can not see them cancelling just because of low ratings, providing that people are consuming it they don't care.

In another thread I bought up that this is a similar case to Jupiter’s Legacy, where strong initial viewership didn’t make up for a massive budget, poor critical reception, which in turn led to little rewatching over the subsequent weeks. It’s not a case of critical reception in and of itself or a case like Riverdale where people publicly profess to hate it but keep watching it and other people watch it out of curiosity. This was a case where the show quickly became a pariah and that sank any curiosity in seeing more and introducing people to it.

So essentially, no staying power.
Temujin25S

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:35 am Reply with quote
Picky33 wrote:
My big worry is studios will not try to create anymore live actions adaptions of anime because they worry they'll be dammed if they do dammed if they don't for trying to create an adaption of a source.

Thing I noticed is how many people on this thread have not watched it but still have an opinion.

I will not say it was perfect, I still haven't finished it, I'm only halfway through and haven't watched an episode in a while. My biggest gripe with the series is each episode in the anime followed a different musical theme (Swing, Bebop, Metal, etc.) but the Netflix adaption throws it out the window.

I think some Live actions of anime have been good, not great, but good. I also think there are some live actions that if you take the source material away, would be good movies.

I wouldn't be worried about that as Hollywood will continue to see potential cash cows in anime they want to bank off in their own franchise to make money they don'tcare about fans. You should be worried about the anime live action adaptations quality, studios don't take seriously enough and general audience don't care for it enough. It's heading towards video game adaptation route, best adaptation is average at best.
andramus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm speaking not as a Cowboy Bebop fan but as someone who has seen properties I am a fan of adapted to live action. To be fair I am something of a purist even when it comes to seeing things I'm not a huge fan of adapted. For myself the Lord of the Rings trilogy is an example of a near perfect adaptation of the source material. There are things I can nitpick about the trilogy that bug me but overall it is relatively faithful and more importantly enjoyable despite it's length.

A question I've been pondering is why does anything get adapted into other mediums? Why do I want to see the content I like adapted? Books, comics, manga etc. that get adapted into anime or live action, who are these adaptations for? The fans for certain because there is a built-in audience but also to bring these properties to a wider audience who don't read or consume the content in it's original format. General audiences are usually oblivious of the source material so don't need to be taken into consideration with how faithful an adaptation should be.

It's reductive to reduce fans to those who are purists and those who aren't. There are fans who are extremely nitpicky and those who are open to just about anything as long as it's enjoyable in it's own right and a whole spectrum of fans in between.

For myself I like live action adaptations or even anime adaptations of books and manga because they feel like they are bringing the story to life. I enjoy reading the Re:Zero light novels but watching the anime brings the story to a whole other emotional level. I can and do nitpick some of the content left on the cutting room floor especially when it leaves audience members who haven't read the books confused. However that is an adaptation that shows a lot of care for it's source material. As a fan who reads books, comics and manga I want to see the stories I enjoy adapted to anime or live action and I want to see them adapted relatively faithfully. I want to feel like an extra dimension has been added that makes the stories feel a little bit more real, that makes the world and the characters that inhabit it feel like they've to come to life.

All of the above said I personally go in with different expectations between an adaptation and a reboot or remake. I expect and prefer more faithfulness from an adaptation than I do from a reboot. The 2004 Battlestar Galactica TV series is an example of a remake that bears little similarity to the original but is good in it's own right. Even back then there were fans of the original Battlestar that weren't happy with the changes but at least there was an understanding and expectation that the 2004 series was not going to be a continuation of the original. That it was going to be it's own thing that drew on the original for inspiration.

If you make an enjoyable and relatively faithful adaptation of a property I like then I'm much more open to future adaptations or reboots taking liberties with the source material. How many versions of a Christmas Carol, Moby Dick, Shakespeare, Sherlock Holmes etc. have there been over the centuries and how many liberties have been taken? How enjoyable have those versions been? They've been done so many times that most of us want to see different takes on the material because otherwise it would be boring.

For me Netflix Cowboy Bebop was simultaneously too close to the source material and too far removed. It was close enough that I couldn't stop comparing it to the original and as a result the differences were much more glaring. Except for Faye's outfit I struggle to think of any change from the source that I thought was an improvement. Not every change was for the worse but none of them felt like improvements to me. If I'd never seen the anime I probably would have thought the Netflix series was just OK but not great. It doesn't help that in the last few months Netflix just dropped two series that are my favourite viewing experiences of the year - Squid Game and Arcane. For myself Netflix Bebop simply doesn't measure up.
Silasa00

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:21 pm Reply with quote
I feel bad for the main cast and teams involved in the show. They clearly had a love for what they were doing. It's just a shame that the show couldn't find that sweet balance between being faithful and being different. I felt like it could have found a better stride in upcoming seasons, but I guess we'll never know now. Confused
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Wow, a lot of my friends were actually disappointed as they were looking forward for a season 2. Yes they were fans of the original Anime, lol.

I don't really have any personal feelings about it being canceled but since it didn't meet Netflix threshold of what would make a season 2 it was more about numbers so eh.

At the end of the day, it's just a TV show, like most others. Some will get the axe, some won't.

I thought about it and I realized that the reason that I was even invested into CB anyway was because of the music. Yeah, the show was great for visuals and some storytelling but it was an imagination of what western space woukd be like.

So although the live action show is done for, I still like that soundtrack.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9