• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Just Finished Desert Punk, Still Pondering Ending [SPOILERS]

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Actually I technically just finished rewatching it, and I still am not sure what I think about the ending. I found two other posts on DP, but they didn't answer my questions:

Link 1

Link 2

Sawada activates the particle beam and it causes the explosion right where Kanta is, then the camera zooms out to show the sheer size of the explosion accompanied by the narrator explaining how the light made it look like day all across the desert. The the camera returns to show the burned out hulk of a truck that the mercenaries were escaping in. This to me means that everybody should be dead, with the possible exception of Junko who had began her escape long before the explosion. However during the end credits it shows all of the characters going about their merry business. Are we to take this to mean that everybody lives happily ever after, or do we brush this off as a convenient device to credit the voice actors?

My next thought is whether or not the anime follows the manga. I looked up the release dates of the manga, and they were done with 12 of 13 volumes when DP went on the air. But the thing that I found strange is that the 13th volume was released while the anime was on the air, 2 years after the 12th volume. The second longest gap between volumes was 9 months. Does this mean that there is no more material to mold a potential sequel?

Then that got me thinking. If all the characters are still alive, what would a sequel be like? Even though Kosuna tells Kanta at the end that they must now be enemies, I would imagine their relationship to be more like how Kanta and Rain Spider's relationship was. (BTW, Rain Spider... Awesome) I also think that the underground mercenaries would continue their plight sans Rain Spider, He was just a hired gun anyway, but that would not be the main focus of the anime. It would focus on Kosuna becoming The Kanto Desert's Biggest Power Babe, and Kanta would come around ever so often to teach her something, in a harsh, roundabout way of course.

My last, and non sequential, thought is: Why isn't this on AS? The English dub is a perfect match! I saw on The Click that they aired 1 or two episodes, but apparently it didn't catch on. Does anybody know why? Did another station snag the rights?
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:12 pm Reply with quote
blame Kim Manning for it not being on Adult Swim. she thinks it's too "Ecchi". i'm thinking it's gonna end up on animonday.

spoiler[ i've also wondered about the end. my guess is Kanta was able to seek refuge in the mountain during the explosion. i don't think it really needs a sequel, but they could easily make one with Kosuna as the main character. i don't think it would be as good though.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1