• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Chrono Crusade title usage.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OKong

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:07 am Reply with quote
When I noticed that the anime title alphabets Chrono Crusade looked exactly the same as the Square Enix games Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross, I feel that something is wrong here.

First, whomever created that title. Isn't that against the law to steal the idea of the text usage to look similar to Chrono Cross and with the words to make it Chrono Crusade? I always thought it's against the law to steal text ideas like that for another anime title or misc. Answers will help.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:50 am Reply with quote
When I noticed that the screen name OKong looked exactly the same as Korean adhesive manufacturer Okong Corp., I feel that something is wrong here. Isn't that against the law to steal the identity of an established corporation?

"Chrono-" is nothing more than a common prefix; any series can use it. Wanna count how many titles start with "Mahō?" Furthermore, this issue had been talked to the death ever since Chrono Crusade was available to North America, so let's stop beating the dead horse.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:59 am Reply with quote
Only the English version titles are similar- a quick google search will reveal the Japanese logo for the anime is very different. (Couldn't find Japanese game logos in the 30 seconds I bothered to check. Wink )

Considering there's a 3 year gap in-between the releases of Chrono Crusade and the PS1 Final Fantasy Chronicles (the newest Trigger/Cross game), I kinda think nobody cares... especially since it would be really friggin' hard to prove ADV was going for a rip-off logo and waste a lot of time and money for both companies. (You know how many other companies have a logo with 2 words slightly off-center from each other?)
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:54 am Reply with quote
Chrono is an anglicisation of the ancient Greek word "khronos" meaning "time" (as in "chronological"). If it was a made-up word the relevant companies could have copy-protected it but it isn't so they can't.
OKong

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
Chrono is an anglicisation of the ancient Greek word "khronos" meaning "time" (as in "chronological"). If it was a made-up word the relevant companies could have copy-protected it but it isn't so they can't.

I see. Exclamation
Xanas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Well, Chrono is not used very often so they probably could trademark it if they wanted to, but it would have been silly. Microsoft got away with using the word "Windows" for an operating system, that word is certainly a lot more common than Chrono is.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:51 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
Microsoft got away with using the word "Windows" for an operating system, that word is certainly a lot more common than Chrono is.

Lotus has 1-2-3 and Notes; IBM has Deep Thought and Deep Blue; Intel has Xeon; Apple has Macintosh and a bunch of wild cats. Heck, the notebook computer I'm using right now is an HP Pavilion.

Using common words as product names is very common.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
Well, Chrono is not used very often so they probably could trademark it if they wanted to, but it would have been silly. Microsoft got away with using the word "Windows" for an operating system, that word is certainly a lot more common than Chrono is.

Microsoft have registered "Windows" as a trademark but, because it was an already existing word, that trademark only applies to products that could concievably be confused with the Windows OS or otherwise reasonably be confused for Microsoft products. If you want to call any product that isn't computer-related "Windows" there's sod all that Microsoft can do about it.
"Microsoft", on the other hand, is a made-up word so their commercial use of it is entirely exclusive.
Xanas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:53 pm Reply with quote
My point was that Chrono certainly can be trademarked, at least as far as gaming media is concerned. I'm not making the argument that the Windows trademark is universal outside of software or that the Windows trademark is unusual in comparison to Lotus Notes, etc.

In any case, trademark isn't really the same as copy protection, but it's the only thing I could think of that would match what you could mean (because I know you weren't thinking you can legally disallow someone from using a word in dialog, even if it's something like made-up like Microsoft).
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:33 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
My point was that Chrono certainly can be trademarked, at least as far as gaming media is concerned.

Well, only if "Chrono" was the full title (which it wasn't). In any case, "Chrono Crusade" still wouldn't be breaching a "Chrono" trademark thanks to the addition of "Crusade".
It's not as though the trademarking of "Pirates of the Caribbean" prevents people from making other entertainment products containing the words "Pirates" and / or "Caribbean".

Quote:
(because I know you weren't thinking you can legally disallow someone from using a word in dialog, even if it's something like made-up like Microsoft)

No, I wasn't - hence my saying "commercial use".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1