• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Peach Boy Riverside

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:52 pm Reply with quote
One of ANN's staff, over on twitter, has a question. This show was voted to the top spot in the review poll, pre-season, and now is close to the bottom in the ratings poll. An explanation is requested.

Could liven up the thread here a bit.
Dayraven

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:20 am Reply with quote
Quote:
An explanation is requested.

Maybe the series is going to finish really well, but the votes are being sent in out of chronological order.
Hal14

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:54 am Reply with quote
Nom De Plume De Fanboy wrote:
An explanation is requested.

It could be source material fans.
Alternatively, the first episode was ok. And Frau seems to be a well-received character.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:58 am Reply with quote
I don't think people realized it was going to be aired out of order when they voted. The first episode wasn't bad, which is what the voting was based on. Also, if people found it a bit confusing since the story just started without any set up, maybe they were hoping a reviewer could help clarify what was going on. I do that sometimes, if it looks like a series is going to be more complicated than I'm prepared to invest effort into sorting out myself. Smile

Now that people know it's deliberately confusing, they don't like it so much.
lesterf1020
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:45 am Reply with quote
The problem isn't that the story is out of order or confusing. There are quite a few anime like that and they are still well received.

The problem for me is that the method of out of order story telling alienates me from the characters and kills all tension in the story. For example, there is no tension for a confrontation when you already know the outcome and you have already seen the terrifying foe as the butt of silly jokes. It is difficult to empathize with someone who suffers a great tragedy when you have already seen an episode in which they seem to have completely forgotten about it and are having a good time. It is too late to use later episodes to fill in the blanks the damage has been done.

This would be fine if it were done as flashbacks or some other framing device that would keep the tension and empathy. I remember watching a youtuber quit a series when an episode of great tension building was deflated at the last minute with a bad joke. That is a bit like what this show feels like sometimes because it has a lot of tonal whiplash and that is heavily exacerbated by being told out of order.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
compounded by the fact that we're still technically-unfamiliar with the Wicked Bitch of Best Western here

Ah, thank you for that. When she showed up out of nowhere, I figured I'd just forgotten about her because I wasn't paying attention.

Have we been told who the bored pair watching from the rooftops are yet? I'm not even sure if they're human or oni. I guess I feel like the little girl was around earlier, but I no longer recall the context.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:34 pm Reply with quote
With the season now over, I have to ask those that watched it, was it worth it releasing the series this way and is it worth it to watch it in chronological order?
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:08 pm Reply with quote
I don't see how it benefited in any way from the jumbled order. But I don't care enough about it to rewatch in order, since the way it was presented left such a bad taste in my mouth. Sometimes a series makes choices that make you feel so spiteful about it that you just can't enjoy it anymore, regardless of its other merits. Smile

If you haven't watched any of it, I think it would be a decent series to watch in the proper order - not fantastic, but not terrible either. Frau is great, and Hawthorn is a good guy. If you're watching in chrono order, the 3 episode rule should work fine to decide if it's for you or not.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:01 am Reply with quote
I quit watching it around episode 3 or 4 (in airing order). Since it finished airing, I went back and watched the rest of it over the past few days, in chronological order. I thought it was an above-average show; intriguing world (shockingly so, for a riff on such a simple classic story), reasonably well-done classic fantasy cast, and between decent and pretty darn good animation. On the other hand, its central themes are really clumsy and on-the-nose, and its character writing is only OK and rather uneven, with some characters (like the Big Bad) feeling so not-fleshed-out that you wonder if it's some kind of meta-joke you're missing out on. Often substitutes style for depth.

Anyway, I thought it was worth the watch. I cannot imagine watching it in the as-it-aired order, though. There was clearly no purpose to that choice; makes me feel bad for most of the staff, to have one directorial decision take an otherwise decent product and push its popularity into the dirt.
Covnam

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for the feedback =)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2