• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Warner, Leonardo DiCaprio to Produce Live-Action Akira

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hybridchild

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:39 pm Reply with quote
SSJ Gohan 64 wrote:

Well, the fact that its taking place in "New Manhattan" leads me to believe that the movie will take place in America.

It leads me to believe they've been watching too much Futurama Razz

That said the anime wasn't very close to the manga so given the approach they're using of adapting the manga in two sections it may be possible that if the switch of venue is the only major change it could be quite a good result.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Zac: He only had one successful film before the teen girls moved on to Orlando Bloom and Johnny Depp. He's a one-hit wonder.

Afax: He's talented when he emotes, but annoying whenever he plays a teen idol or a troubled youth-which is just about every other role he's been in for the last 15 years.
angel_lover

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:43 pm Reply with quote
No, please, No.

And... no.

Just NO.

Really.

NO.

Look, I know I'm emoting here rather than putting up valid arguments, but I just feel as if Satan acquired the rights to the Bible and decided to relocate the main storyline to Hell
Lucca_Ashtear

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I've always been under the impression that if Hollywood turns to anime or manga for source material, Akira wouldn't be a bad choice. After reading that article however, my enthusiasm has curbed a bit.
It sounds like there's going to be some pretty major changes, yet I hope there keep enough in there will be enough in there for original fans. In any case I'll be looking forward to any new developments.
I still hope that the proposed Monster live-action film may still see the light of day "(A History of Violence" script writer Josh Olson was said to be on board).
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Lucca: That History of Violence screenwriter would probably jerk off on the source material and turn it into an Iraq parable the way he turned the AHOV book into a Columbine metaphor.

Last edited by GATSU on Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:50 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Zac: He only had one successful film before the teen girls moved on to Orlando Bloom and Johnny Depp. He's a one-hit wonder.

Afax: He's talented when he emotes, but annoying whenever he plays a teen idol or a troubled youth-which is just about every other role he's been in for the last 15 years.

Yes now he is a failure because seriously anyone with multiple Oscar nominations from a string of critically and commercially successful Martin Scorsese films is a loser because he's no longer considered a teen matinee idol but rather a serious actor recognized by the film community.

GATSU wrote:
Lucca: That History of Violence screenwriter would probably jerk off on the source material and turn it into an Iraq parable the way he turned the AHOV book into a Columbine metaphor.

W

T

F
Afax

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:56 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

teen idol? So what, youve never seen any movie he's been in for the past 5+ years?

Catch me if you Can and the Aviator are Oscar worthy performances easily. Not to mention his great performances in the Departed or Blood Diamond.

You have no clue what you are talking about it in my opinion...
sdhd

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I am not that excited about it.

Last edited by sdhd on Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
indrik

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:01 pm Reply with quote
wilson_x1999 wrote:

So yeah... not that excited with this :S, since I'm thinking it may end up something like this:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=gjcA69pJREo

Eh? What was wrong with that, it looked like a perfectly serviceable musical video to me?

I do not like Leo, but I don't have any rational reasons for it. I just don't. Something about him comes across as fake to me. But, what do I know?

I don't understand the need to do this, though. I kind of question the need for most remakes generally, it almost seems like fan fiction to me. (That sentiment might get me in trouble if anybody actually read my posts.) But I don't see where this is any worse than remaking Sabrina or whatever. I think I'd be madder about a remake of Breakfast at Tiffany's.
CorneredAngel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Andrew Cunningham wrote:

Well hot damn. There was a rumor floating about this a few months ago, but at that point, with no other confirmation, it *was* just a rumor...Good luck to the guy!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yes now he is a failure because seriously anyone with multiple Oscar nominations from a string of critically and commercially successful Martin Scorsese films is a loser

He's only had one commercially successful Marty film, and his scenes weren't even given much air time.

Quote:
because he's no longer considered a teen matinee idol but rather a serious actor recognized by the film community.

Replace Leo with Mark Wahlberg and/or Matt Damon, and I agree.

Quote:
W T F

See AHOV and Elephant, and you'll understand.

Afax: I like The Aviator, but everything else he's done is a vanity project.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:09 pm Reply with quote
TTTTEEEEETTTSSSSUUUUUUNNNNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Sums my opinion up quite nicely, and basing that on the change of Setting, opinion may change in the future, but meh.

Last edited by Primus on Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Andrew Cunningham

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:09 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

He's only had one commercially successful Marty film, and his scenes weren't even given much air time.

Gangs of New York: $77 million.
Aviator: $102 million
Depart: $132 million

If you don't like him, you don't like him.
But making shit up just makes you look retarded.
everybody_loves_hypnotoad

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Oh come on, The Departed, Blood Diamond, Gangs of New York, these were bad performances to you? He's done serious work as an actor you've got to give him credit for that.

Akira the movie set in "New Manhattan" OK hollywood do whatever you want. Akira's Akira, if it gets interest stirred up in the original manga/anime I guess that'll be good.

Mark Wahlberg will always be Marky Mark to me.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Hollywood: we're making this movie, it's barely in pre-production, we have no other info for you right now except we're setting it in the US so an American audience can relate to the story

Anime fans: GRRRAAAHHHHH UNRELENTING HATRED AND NEGATIVITY RRRAARRRGGGHHH
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 13