• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Digimon Tamers 20th Anniversary Stage Show Features 'Cancel Culture' Villain

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoelBurger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Watanabefan wrote:
Just a few months ago I was lamenting Tamers not getting any sort of official follow-up like Adventure.

Now I'm realizing that was probably a dodged bullet.

Honestly, even ignoring the absolute disaster that is Tamers 2021, the drama CD included on the 15th anniversary box set was already pretty terrible. There was basically no way we were ever going to get a decent Tamers continuation.
icomeanon6
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:11 pm Reply with quote
So, I've seen some remarks here regarding Our War Game and Y2K, and there's a huge distinction between what Our War Game was saying about its subject matter and what Konaka's doing here. Our War Game did not say or imply anything in support of conspiracy theories. At all. There are conspiracy theories out there about Y2K, but there's no connection between them and Our War Game. There's really nothing in the movie that any group of appreciable size would find politically objectionable or dishonest.

Our War Game was (in part) about the fragile nature of computer-enabled critical infrastructure that is all connected to the same internet, and its vulnerability to bugs and cyber attacks, which is... 100% factual. It's an undisputed reality and more relevant today than it was in 2000 when the movie came out. It's topical and educational, and if there's a political element (nuclear disarmament comes to mind), it's not remotely a fringe one.

Konaka's Tamers sequel script is an entirely different animal. The topic is backlash against the proliferation of dangerous conspiracy theories. The moral is that private platforms shouldn't be allowed to boot people who are spreading demonstrable falsehoods to sow doubt in the medical establishment during the biggest health crisis in a hundred years.

Tl;dr: Saying that Digimon has been "political" before isn't relevant to what's so outrageously caustic about Konaka's stunt here. I think Digimon is at it's best when it's saying truthful things about serious issues through compelling stories, but this is not that.

Last edited by icomeanon6 on Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:12 pm; edited 4 times in total
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Thread cleaned up.

Please do not spam this thread with links to a bunch of conspiracy theory ideologues. I'm not having the ANN forum become a hotspot for crazy misinformation campaigns. That stuff is a hydra and no one here has the time and energy to keep lopping off heads in hopes of protecting people from going down a rabbit hole to radicalization.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:19 pm Reply with quote
No offense intented, but ANN must have thought twice before bringing up a controversial topic like this.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:19 pm Reply with quote
icomeanon6 wrote:
The moral is that private platforms shouldn't be allowed to boot people who are spreading demonstrable falsehoods to sow doubt in the medical establishment during the biggest health crisis in a hundred years.

That's really the moral? I guess I'll have to track down the fansub of this thing.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:27 pm Reply with quote
luisedgarf wrote:
No offense intented, but ANN must have thought twice before bringing up a controversial topic like this.

What you're suggesting is censorship of the media in favor of avoiding difficult topics because it brings weirdos out of the woodwork. Reality is real even when it's inconvenient and I disagree with the idea of simply pretending things aren't happening because one person might show up to yell on a soapbox.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Oh man.. This is just... disappointing. I'm a fan of some of Konaka's work (Ghost Hound, Bubblegum Crisis 2040, Lain) and while I'm not surprised he'd have strong views I thought maybe he'd be more critical, rather than being someone who believes in conspiracy theories. Yet somehow I also feel like this is not unexpected. idk I have mixed feelings, but overall I'm just sad. I really loved some of his work, and had been planning on rewatching/finishing/starting some of it soon but now I have a bad taste in my mouth (even knowing he worked on a bunch as part of a collective).

I think Digimon isn't necessarily a bad outlet to discuss issues within the digital/internet space, but this? It feels like satire. It feels like something the South Park crew would come up with, in that we're meant to laugh at the character who honestly believes creating a character called Political Correctness whose attack is Cancel Culture is a great idea. Like, this is just embarrassing and cringeworthy.

The problem with his posts is that some of them sound almost rational enough (and downplay the craziness of the points his "sources" say) that someone reading them could be like "hm, that makes sense" and that's so so dangerous. I don't know how far he went in his digifes play but if he started touting conspiracy theories in it, that's pretty awful, especially as, even though the series is 20 years old, it's still a kids show that easily influenced kids could see. While older fans would generally have more of a critical mind and can handle theories like this being shoved in their face, kids won't question it's validity.

Sheleigha wrote:
It looks like someone has also gone through and translated Konaka's past blogs, and has explained it in detail, while simultaneously going over the conspiracies themselves and who was pushing them, all in a very reasonable matter with sourcing backing them up. The last page on the "proving him right" bit is very important as well, as I've always seen that brought up a number of times.

https://twitter.com/dakarananitte/status/1422979179125952514

This was a good read, thanks for posting it!
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:42 pm Reply with quote
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
luisedgarf wrote:

What you're suggesting is censorship of the media in favor of avoiding difficult topics because it brings weirdos out of the woodwork. Reality is real even when it's inconvenient and I disagree with the idea of simply pretending things aren't happening because one person might show up to yell on a soapbox.

Does Konaka being a “weirdo” betray the fact this site has often praised his work?

I’m not sure how much this site is into cancel culture itself, but it has retained positive sentiments of some anime even long after their creators were exposed for being crooked.

Last edited by cookiemanstah on Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Guile wrote:

Nobody lost any audience. There is no actual controversy. This is a very vocal minority of western fans complaining about something. This is just more bleating like how Koichi Sugiyama is still getting work and was even featured at the Olympics. Or how Subaru Kimura is in Jujutsu Kaisen and the upcoming Kamen Rider series. A dozen upset westerners on Twitter do not make something newsworthy. Nobody in Japan cares about any of this stuff or considers these issues. People are trying to rationalize why all the companies and other cast members and writers went alone with this rather than simply realizing that they were all perfectly fine with it and supported it. Digimon is canonly against cancel culture. And indeed, there was zero complaints about the stage play until the fansub came out and English speaking fans saw it. What happens when the community is mostly in agreement with these messages and it's the complainers who are not welcome in it?

Ah yes I am sure you can personally vouch for the opinions of all of Japan.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:43 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
ANN_Lynzee wrote:
luisedgarf wrote:

Does Konaka being a “weirdo” betray the fact this site has often praised his work?

I wasn't referring to Konaka in that statement. He hasn't shown up in the forums here now, has he? Also I swear to god, "this site." You mean reviewers. Projects he was a part of have received positive reviews. People make good things and then sometimes those same people change, or do something that causes fans to disavow them. Tamers, Lain, and Technolyze meant/mean things to people for reasons that have nothing to do with this recent stage play or Konaka's blog posts.

Is there an actual thematic connection between Kenshin and what its creator was found to have in his possession? No, Kenshin was not an actual vehicle for child exploitation imagery or apologism. Still, some people cannot disassociate Kenshin with Watanuki so they'd rather have nothing to do with it anymore or spend money on things they think will financially support him.

Individuals may feel similarly about Konaka's works now, or not. The reviews we have here of his work take into account the product as a whole and I don't think it betrays anything to state that Konaka wrote compelling television while also acknowledging that in the time since he's adopted an outlook on how the world works that is not aligned with reality and actively damages the individuals who fall victim to it.

Last edited by ANN_Lynzee on Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Scias

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Lann wrote:
I'm against PC and cancel culture. I think the world has gone off the deep end and are just cry baby's. Rolling Eyes
The world needs moderation and justification, not a bunch of people with flaming pitch forks.
Some stage play isnt going to hurt Digimon Tamers. That ended years ago. Its just his way of getting his thought message out into the mass media. But oh no; lets cancel him!!

I miss the 90's. Everyone was sensible back then.

Conservatives and religious fundamentalists have been trying to get almost all kinds of media banned(films, music albums, video games, tv shows, books etc) for decades now, what planet are you living on? Even in the 60s, religious fundie groups wanted the Beatles banned from having their albums sold or their music played on radio in the US because Lennon once claimed that The Beatles were "More popular than Jesus"

Again, what planet are you from? This isn't anything new, quit acting like this suddenly became a 'thing' only 5-8 years ago. Fundies and conservatives have tried to ban damn near everything they don't like for decades, nearly a century
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Ming Yi wrote:
The problem isn't because Konaka is criticizing "cancel culture." The problem is that he is being very black-and-white about the situation and stating that "cancel culture" is being used to stifle freedom of speech when in all actuality he is upset that people making harmful conspiracy theories, as well as anti-vaxxers, are rightfully being deplatformed for spreading misinformation.

Except at no point do any of the characters rant about conspiracy theories or vaccines. They talk about being silenced for going against the grain or speaking out against the majority and being forced into conformity and facism where free thought is eliminated. Anyone trying to connect that to not being able to rant about Pizzagate or pee tapes are making huge leaps in logic and putting words in the characters mouths.

ZephyrVeyu wrote:
I don't think he should be de-platformed, no matter how conspiratorial/alternative his views. My problem is that he's using Digimon, a franchise this politically polarizing content has no place in. Digimon should not be a battleground for the culture war. He can explore these topics in a mature anime aimed at adults with minds of their own, not a franchise intended for the most easily influenced demographic.

If American kids shows can be used to push political messages, why not Japanese kids shows? If She-Ra can punch The Patriarchy then Terriormon can punch Political Correctness. Maybe politics don't belong in kids media. Maybe they do. All I know is this is the landscape people pushed for with media so they shouldn't complain when they find themselves on the opposite end of the situation. Is the issue actually putting politics in media, or is it putting the wrong politics in media?
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Ugh. It makes me mad that he drank the cool-aid and believes in garbage conspiracy theories.
Kusakabe

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:30 pm Reply with quote
I mean. He's not completely wrong. There's allot of entitled bullying going on on the internet based on personal beliefs and privileges. I think cancel culture sucks - a consequence should fit the crime and allot of the social justice i see people dealing out doesn't add up to me and with so many people dealing it out? I always hope these people have a support system at home. In any case, I definitely think he's entitled to his soap box even I'm not 100% in agreement.
Meowtain Duwu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:37 pm Reply with quote
The biggest problem I see here is that Konaka supports and is pushing dangerous conspiracy theories, particularly ones in relation to COVID-19, that have the potential to at least seriously hurt people, in his blog posts which are open to the public. He can cry “cancel culture” all he wants; so many people have seen through his obvious ruse. What he’s doing is nothing short of disgusting and embarrassing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 11