• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Life Lessons with Uramichi-Oniisan (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:22 pm Reply with quote
The best part about the third episode is thinking of how I'd draw the house + woman + man + animal thing. I can't even conceptualize why anyone would draw multiple houses with that prompt, or a huge one
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Which is why you'll never attain financial success. Wink
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Did anyone else think at first they were riffing on "Person Woman Man Camera TV"? Laughing
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 12:05 am Reply with quote
Episode 01....well...I don't know if I'm quite sold yet. Tbh I get more lolz out of Uramichi's interactions with his kouhai than when he talks to the kids. Since the little kids don't understand his cynicism they can't respond to it and the comedy falls a little flat for me. But the coworker stuff is funny! Laughing

I personally don't feel enthusiastic around kids (unless I know them well)...nope, stick me in a group of random tots...and I could never fake being that happy. So I think Uramichi must have a will of steel to keep smiling like that. Laughing I'd have cracked long ago.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 5:47 am Reply with quote
Episode 4

Man, this show continues to make me burst out laughing.
The episode starting with them filming Summer scenes on a beach, but it having to be done in the middle of the Winter. I had heard about that sort of thing before, where actors have to pretend to be in a sunny hot day out, while its absolutely freezing, which sounds like hell. The director especially had me laughing, how the sort of things he says are so dang ridiculous, and kept pushing Uramichi over whether he is cold, with Uramichi obviously trying really hard into deluding himself that he is not.

Utano was also going well too, being put in the ridiculous costumes, which I guessed saved her most of the time from needing to be in a bikini in the middle of winter, and then pulling the ridiculous speeches of the whole cast being indispensable. And when she described why Iketeru was not there it sounded like she was breaking it to the kids that he was dead Laughing , and the kids just decide that he was finally fired. Laughing

And then when Kumagi is sick, the Usahara has it thrown into his face that he is the unpopular costumed character. Uramichi decides to have him just wear Kumagi's costume, but then the kids see through that it isn't him, starting to get scary. And then in a final ditch to put him back to his own costume, they forget to change the body part, which seems to break the minds of the kids. Laughing

And oh my god, I almost forgot to mention the watermelon smashing bit, that being that they naturally not on sale, so they just put stripes onto a winter gourd. Laughing This show just continues to really deliver with me.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:45 am Reply with quote
Episode 5

Probably not really insightful to continue to say that when this show is at its best it can give me tears in my eyes from laughing. The examples this week being like when the director was being unreasonable for Uramichi's entrances, getting him to do backflips. Then Usao's prerecorded dialogue apparently goes wrong and makes it sound like he doesn't care, followed by Uramichi's stare, and then Uramichi pulls the same stuff on him that he has done before by telling the kids that he would "do something funny".

And then just as kind of thinking just laughs, the episode kind of slows down, I think starting with the mention of a kid saying that he is looking forward to a day out with his father to go to their concert. Still funny that the concert seems to run them ragged, the songs are funny in how could they possibly get away with singing about that to kids, and of course Uramichi put into a cat costume was hilarious, that being to a song apparently about a woman that doesn't have anything but her cat. And then it really has a quiet moment of Uramichi going home in the dark, a song playing about how he would rather look down if looking up would make him trip, and looking down seeing an interesting sight like a crab. Uramichi finding this small crab on the land being played against the rest of the production team munching on crabs, as he picks the crab up and puts into the river, he not even really caring that much that the crab pincered him.

If I had to actually read into that last bit, I would say it has something to say about how Uramichi grumbles and expresses how a lot of things can be unpleasant, he actually does have some understanding how he work can mean a lot to the kids who watch him. Even if he something did hurt him, like the crab pinching his finger, to perhaps a kid needing to comment on how he is pale while apparently suffering from a hangover and lack of sleep, it doesn't mean he shouldn't have done that thing to get hurt.

Just thought to say that I think that it can be a bit more than FML depression and cynicism.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:45 am Reply with quote
I loved the songs, and the lyrics were hilarious, but what I couldn't help thinking was how that whole sketch must've resonated with the voice actors, as they are regularly called on to do the exact same kind of silliness for "concerts" for teen and adult fans, often in costume. I've watched some of those on YT, and always wonder if they're just making the best of it or genuinely having fun or are just as good at semi-scripted live acting as they are voice acting. Smile But so many times it just seems downright humiliating what they put them through, just like in this series.

The backflip bit was perfect, from the stupidity of it to the passive-aggressive reactions from Uramichi, and the obliviousness of the director.

To me, the crab symbolism was quite dark. The crab tries to escape the river, but Uramichi, imagining he's doing a good deed, tosses it back (even though it protests by pinching him) ...where it will eventually end up in the pot anyway. Life is futile, there's no escape, and no one gets out alive.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 4:31 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
To me, the crab symbolism was quite dark. The crab tries to escape the river, but Uramichi, imagining he's doing a good deed, tosses it back (even though it protests by pinching him) ...where it will eventually end up in the pot anyway. Life is futile, there's no escape, and no one gets out alive.

He has also talked about how a lot of the kids are chances are going to be chewed up by society, that a lot things are messed up. But I still don't think it was so cynical when he saw the boy saying that he was really looking forward to the concert, and despite how it hurt him just like the crab pinching his finger hurt him, he can still smile.

Just because in maybe some big scheme of things an act of kindness could be seen as pointless, that bit can mean a lot to one person at a particular time. I would also connect it to the episode also opening up with a kid meaninglessly headbutting the back of his knees, to like the crab hurting his finger, like sure it hurt, but he doesn't hate the kids.

That director though, who puts him through that stuff. Also, the choreographer probably should be talked to about workplace sexual harassment.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:06 am Reply with quote
Well, there's two things going on there. The crab's situation shows that trying to escape is futile. On the other hand, Uramichi's feeling that he did something good, when the fact is that he thwarted the crab's escape, shows how we fool ourselves into thinking we're doing good in an effort to cope with the futility of it all. Or else we simply lack access to the bigger picture so we can't know which of our actions are truly beneficial. Uramichi's sense of making the boy happy or helping the crab is probably all that's keeping him from being totally paralyzed by such inescapable uncertainties. Very Happy
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:54 am Reply with quote
Or, we could not tell the sad clown to cheer himself with his own show.

Very Happy By which I mean can we be too depressive with this funny show that may occasionally touch on existential crisis.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:27 am Reply with quote
So I guess it's just me that thinks episode 5 finally proved that Uramichi has... something... towards Utano? The way he asked if she wanted to join his gym was a coworker-like activity, the look on his face when she declined was anything but the look of a co-worker. And then there's the concert and its use of POV shots... someone watching from the wings certainly had a preference between Utano and Iketeru. What sealed the deal for me was the look of bliss on his face when Uramichi played Utano's cat.

We've seen Utano's boyfriend earlier in the series, even if we didn't know for certain which comedian it was. Something we can say for certain... she has terrible taste in men and comedy. And we can now add that Uramachi loves her singing voice.

Will it ever come out in the open, is it for the best that it stays where it is... I can already see Iketeru's sister being fought over between Bear kun and Bunny kun so I can't say this is not that kind of series because, well, life is that kind of series.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:35 am Reply with quote
Anybody know what this is?
Shackles! That bind adults!
That's right, it's a necklace! Smile

Once again, the characters cracking up makes me start giggling along with them. Dose stubby little wings! Laughing Poor Iketeru. Not only an existential crisis, but a world class bitch of a sister. He needs his own place.

And then we have Uramichi's dream. Nope, no symbolism here. I'm definitely reading too much darkness into this.

After the Shiso God sketch, I did notice during the ED that he was growing shiso on his balcony. And then the tag scene made a whole thing out of it. Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:18 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Poor Iketeru. Not only an existential crisis, but a world class bitch of a sister. He needs his own place.

But part of a full disclosure, the dude couldn't even cut paper into strips, he had a full blown mental breakdown from his inability to cover his weaknesses by acting.

But the gang losing it from another awful costume for poor Uramichi was again fantastic. The writer somehow seeing it as his greatest segment yet despite the actors could not even look at Uramichi without bursting out laughing, and somehow ended up popular, with the kids themselves recognising how embarrassing the outfit was. Also a parent was able to read something into the whole sketch.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:31 am Reply with quote
Iketeru... I thought the Rice Ball thought bubble were shorthand for him being distracted, turns out they're because he's thinking of rice balls. He also thinks playing with his dog is a good dream when in reality,.... he plays with his dog.

In a previous acting role, he couldn't figure out how to read an analog watch so he thought faking it was an acting achievement... and then there's the scissors... aren't both of these pre school activities, Kindergarten activities, taught worldwide?

I don't think the problem is with his sister and I don't think he should be living alone.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:48 am Reply with quote
Episode 8

What I liked about this episode is that it seemed to confirm what I said after episode 5 about how Uramichi actually really treasures the smiles he gives the kids, even if he gets hurt by it. Still he really should look at considering what labour rules there might be, regarding that he was being pressured into lifting things (children) when he was already suffering from a back injury.

But thumbs up to the moment that actually had Uramichi cry, hearing a little boy thank him for the situation to spend time with his father, just like back in episode 5, clearly very impactful to him. Probably further explained by finding out that Uramichi was apparently abused by a strict father, one that would throw him when not doing what he wanted, and made his sister leave at 16. Gives a bit of inisght into the poor guy, and wondering if perhaps it is wrapped up in his regret in not being the athlete he wanted. Now I really want to see Uramichi deal with what awful things his father did, having more earnest appreciation, and better his relationship with his sister if it is still rocky.

Actually, this sister bit makes me think back to that time he asked Utano if she wanted to go to his gym. I think that it might be plausible to read into that as something like unresolved issues over losing his sister, from a family where workouts were probably the norm. His compulsive need to exercise is from the abuse his father gave him when he didn't do well enough, as his invite towards Utano perhaps something back to his sister before she eventually ran away from home. The dude needs some counselling.

Also everyone coming to Iketeru's defence when Usahara was convincing him into giving money. And the part to make me most burst out laughter, when the animal mascot characters forgot that they had to draw their fathers as animals, and so just drew on the animal ears.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3