• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Odd Taxi Won't Sell Blu-Ray Box Unless it Gets At Least 300 Orders

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:16 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Dark Mac wrote:
What? How is it not "right"? They sell it that way because they've tried lower prices, which barely result in higher sales and end up with lower income for the producers in the end. People can see the series for free on streaming services or TV - the discs are only for collectors. It's amazing how some people feel so entitled to low prices on luxury goods.

$200+ for 12 episodes is absurd. It's not entitlement to not want to be ripped off.

It’s what people pay in Japan and what they are used to

Ok what about 100$ plus for a shop specific edition of the final Star Wars movie? Even Hollywood movies you pay a LOT more. $40 to 50 is average for a blurry and 100$ is not uncommon for a collectors edition for 1 movie
Vanadise

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Anybody here remember how back in the 1990's, anime VHS releases were usually $20 to $30 per tape and often had only one or two episodes? (and remember that inflation has roughly halved the value of dollars since then)

This isn't bad at all for a Japanese release, especially considering some of the extras included. I'd import it if it these discs had English subtitles (and maybe they do, but I skimmed over the web pages and didn't catch any mention of them).
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:38 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I love Odd Taxi, but $246 for 12 episodes? No.

Yup if all anime was cheap like in the US they would have to sell 10x the amount to make a profit. That means less anime that will come out cause it takes $100,000 to make one episode ( I think I read that on an article on this website quote me if I'm wrong) even the big dogs in the anime industry like A1-Pictures,J.C Staff, and Sunrise would all go bankrupt.

That is why anime is so expensive over there most anime rely solely on bluray sales and if it doesn't make them any money or they lost some that anime will not get another season or if its a smaller company they will go bankrupt eventually if they had more misses than hits on their anime series.

Now if we were talking about AoA over here then yes I would 10000% agree $200 is a terrible price for an non-imported release, but we are not.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 4:41 pm Reply with quote
As a fan of the show, I'm happy to see they reached their goal.
Amiantos

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I'll be frank and go out on a limb and say this is them saying this didn't perform well at all. 300 copies for a full boxset yet Gundam Hathaway sells record numbers and Uma Musume sells some stupid numbers for BD1 and 2 yet a whole series for just 300 order? It's not about BD's selling lower, its about not delivering what people wanted in the end it seems. The price for a full series in japan at that rate is decent, but if they're struggling for just 300...yeah it didn't go over well there.
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Amiantos wrote:
I'll be frank and go out on a limb and say this is them saying this didn't perform well at all. 300 copies for a full boxset yet Gundam Hathaway sells record numbers and Uma Musume sells some stupid numbers for BD1 and 2 yet a whole series for just 300 order? It's not about BD's selling lower, its about not delivering what people wanted in the end it seems. The price for a full series in japan at that rate is decent, but if they're struggling for just 300...yeah it didn't go over well there.

This box is only being sold via Canime and at full retail price so they will be making a tidy profit on this.

I've bought boxes on Amazon and other places for 25% off the suggested retail price but this is at full retail price.

300 was obviouslyc hosen for a reason to justify their costs and they're over 500 now as shown here ->

Last edited by gumbaloom on Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
jenthehen

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:04 pm Reply with quote
I’d consider ordering for the goodies but I doubt there will be English subs on the disks which makes it not worth it :/

I’ll admit to ordering overpriced Higurashi disks for the Angel Mort figures lol
gumbaloom

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:08 pm Reply with quote
jenthehen wrote:
I’d consider ordering for the goodies but I doubt there will be English subs on the disks which makes it not worth it :/

I’ll admit to ordering overpriced Higurashi disks for the Angel Mort figures lol

Unless I've missed something this is only being sold via Cnaime and they don't ship overseas so anyone who doesn't live in Japan will need to go via a proxy service.
taishou*

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:38 pm Reply with quote
Amiantos wrote:

I mean they've hit at least 500 at this point. For a full series boxset of such a niche title, that's not doing bad at all.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Amiantos wrote:
I'll be frank and go out on a limb and say this is them saying this didn't perform well at all. 300 copies for a full boxset yet Gundam Hathaway sells record numbers and Uma Musume sells some stupid numbers for BD1 and 2 yet a whole series for just 300 order?

Making direct comparisons against other series' sales is pointless. Nobody would expect a noir mystery starring animal characters to sell even a fraction as well as anything with "Gundam" in the name, regardless of quality.

What actually matters is if it met the producers' expectations and was able to make a profit for them, and by all accounts, it did.
Jeff Bauersfeld

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:44 pm Reply with quote
NezumiVA wrote:
Honestly, home video prices like this in Japan (and sometimes overseas, with Aniplex of America's prices Rolling Eyes ) need to be changed, already. Just saying "well that's how it is" doesn't account for how ludicrous it still is and always has been. Sure it's always been that way, but there's no good reason for it to be.

That price point is working for these companies and their target consumers, so until that changes and these companies pivot to a new target audience, there will be no "need" for change that is relevant to these companies. If this model wasn't working, it would be changed.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Glad it hit it's goal as I imagine without a Japanese release it would be less likely we'd get a western release.
Looking forward to picking this up for a more reasonable US release price in the future Smile
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:13 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Dark Mac wrote:
What? How is it not "right"? They sell it that way because they've tried lower prices, which barely result in higher sales and end up with lower income for the producers in the end....
$200+ for 12 episodes is absurd. It's not entitlement to not want to be ripped off.
Well, let's say you have bought the lie that there is such a thing as intrinsic value and unfair profit. Comparing prices across shows and time is just an attempt at justification for your dissatisfaction, not all works have the same appeal and so wouldn't be valued the same by the aggregate population. You could hope that unexpectedly few units sell at the higher price which should prompt the price to drop eventually. Then there are used BD sales that should reflect lower prices (eventually) or you could "not get ripped off" by buying from some places in the world that steal things and sell them for a price you like because they likely agree with you...
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:25 am Reply with quote
Amiantos wrote:

Shows that sell in boxsets rather than volumes are generally ones not expected to sell very well; either due to them being mainstream shows not aimed at otaku who wont shell out tons of money for them (mainstream shounen like One Piece and Dr. Stone) or low-expectation late night anime such as Super Cub, Megalo Box, and now Odd Taxi which are all Spring anime getting boxset releases rather than individual volumes. A one-time purchase of a boxset is much more feasible and a safer investment than 3-4 individual volumes that would probably do worse and worse each volume. Boxsets are still better than shows that have their home releases cancelled due to low popularity though, such as Blue Reflection.
jenthehen

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2021 12:49 am Reply with quote
gumbaloom wrote:
jenthehen wrote:

Unless I've missed something this is only being sold via Cnaime and they don't ship overseas so anyone who doesn't live in Japan will need to go via a proxy service.

Yeah I’m familiar with using proxies for Japanese exclusive goods.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3